Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

Looking for WADs that take advantage of the BOOM and MBF engines or push them to their limits

Title says it all. For example, what if there is a WAD that could be mistaken for a ZDoom WAD because of such trickery?

I'm going with Eviternity. Got the impressive megastructures of a GZDoom WAD implemented in an MBF compatible way.

Sure, it has optional GZDoom and Eternity features, but it runs on PrBoom+ (and even DOS MBF with tweaking, apparently).

Dimension of the Boomed - MBF miniwad that attempt to recreate various design and gameplay elements of Quake rather faithfully (shamblers, lots of brown, you name it). Very impressive design, you might as well mistake it for a ZDoom wad.

Operation Hydra - Vanilla (!), but plays and feels like a ZDoom wad, with features like 3D floors, and possibly slopes IIRC. At worst, it is a cool tech demo largely unheard of.

Finely Crafted Fetish Film - Boom Puzzle miniwad, utilizes extensive Lua scripting to create intricate puzzle (while still stay true to classic Doom gameplay!) The result is surreal, visually admirable and generally challenging but fair.

Ancient Aliens - has a consistent gameplay trope, but regardless extrordinary in both visuals map design and environmental storytelling. I mean, you did some medicine before embarking on your adventure...

Lost Civilization - Boom megawad. Every single map is both beautiful, brimmed with details and nice gameplay. Everything is so grand and beautiful, you start to wonder if it's really a Boom wad.

Sunder - Legends tell that one of the maps almost hit editor limit in the making... Even if the gameplay isn't everyone's cup of tea, the visuals and map design is enough to show that the author cares about their work  and want to push the engine to its comprehensible best.

Abandon is similar in this aspect - Highly detailed, titghtly designed.

slaughtermaps.

Avactor - Apparently, Ancient Aliens' sane cousin. You travel through lost, beautiful, yet incredible hostile monuments. Very worth playing.

That's everything notable off the top of my head. If it's just visually appealing stuff (with ZDoom-like quality) alone, then you'll be surprised of how many of those wads existed out there.

In terms of "could be mistaken for a ZDoom WAD because of such trickery" as OP said, I'd have to go with Maskim Xul. There are maps that are impressive, and then there are maps that just seem straight up impossible. Maskim Xul is the latter. I have a vague idea of what is/isn't possible with Boom, and by my reckoning much of this wad shouldn't be possible in a Boom-compatible engine, yet there it is.

12 hours ago, JXC said:

Looking for WADs that take advantage of the BOOM and MBF engines or push them to their limits

I mean.... that's like any decent boom or MBF format map, because why map in boom/MBF if you don't use any of its features to begin with..? Also, what kinds of limits are we talking about anyway..?

Faux3D bridges are nothing new, conveyor scripting has been around since I don't even remember when... so what exactly are you looking for anyway...? Is there any ZDoom-ism you want to see done outside of ZDoom or what's the idea here..?

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Faux3D bridges are nothing new, conveyor scripting has been around since I don't even remember when... so what exactly are you looking for anyway...? Is there any ZDoom-ism you want to see done outside of ZDoom or what's the idea here..?

Fake slopes, translucent walls, faked colored lighting, deep water, creative use of friction

4 minutes ago, JXC said:

Fake slopes, translucent walls, faked colored lighting, deep water, creative use of friction

fake slopes don't really exist as far as I'm aware... translucent walls is something you'll see here and there, for example in Miasma, fake coloured lighting is not a boom or MBF specific trick, vanilla can do it too, if you fuck around with the colourmap, deep water isn't very common, but has existed for a long time, I think galileoDOS used it in one of his maps for some CP, creative use of friction existed since speed of doom, and it's also in mayhem 17 (or 16, don't remember, the super mario one)...

1 hour ago, JXC said:

Fake slopes

So, if I'm not wrong, a "fake slope" could be achieved by making 1u wide sectors next to each other and with 1u of height difference from each other... is that correct??? The only time I've seen such a thing was in a CChest4 map, can't remember which one exactly but it was near the start somewhere before a cave. 

1 hour ago, JXC said:

translucent walls

My first thought was Adonis, if only because it's one of the bunch where you do really need to set translucency on to stand a chance against hidden snipers. I know some mappers made exigent use of that special in Hellevator. Umm what else... ah, UAC Ultra also comes to mind, really just take a peek at map 01.

1 hour ago, JXC said:

faked colored lighting

Unsure about this tbh. Unless you're speaking of colormaps, which in that case it's still rare but there's a few notable uses I can think of like in CChest2, one and the most memorable is in map 07 at the end, or Dimension of the boomed, brotherhood of ruin, and yea NIH is probably talking about my map 28 in Interception 2, where I also made that deep water thing together with a custom colormap. There's also Fruit Salad (paging @Grain of Salt if she could confirm).

2 hours ago, JXC said:

deep water

Newgothic movement 2 map 13

2 hours ago, JXC said:

creative use of friction

Yes, very frequent in Super Mayhem 17 for main gimmicks centered around slippery ice. In some middle map in THT threnody there's sticky blood, don't remember if the map really needed it. Very weird use in Bloodspeed and didy's Sigma where you have to press the opposite keys to move inside them, like pressing left to go right.

MAP08 in Eviternity has a bit of "fake slopes" used for detailing a ceiling (which I only know of because decino pointed it out in his playthrough):

Spoiler

doom01.png.d34272e8c605bbd750c05099fe9e3c01.png

Elaborating a bit on my mention of Maskim Xul earlier, here's a little section that creates the illusion of room-over-room:

Spoiler

doom02.png.426f85aff2df9fbdcb1e49fcd5ee0e43.png

There's also stuff like doors that appear to open to the side, and a bunch of other wizardry that I don't remember off the top of my head.

14 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

So, if I'm not wrong, a "fake slope" could be achieved by making 1u wide sectors next to each other and with 1u of height difference from each other... is that correct??? The only time I've seen such a thing was in a CChest4 map, can't remember which one exactly but it was near the start somewhere before a cave. 

That's just neither a slope, nor does it really behave like one... plus, it inflates the visplane count and can lead to problems if you overdo it... anything other than 1mu wide and 1mu height difference might look "iffy" already, because the more you deviate from 45°, the more you'll see individual pixels... it's a very resource hungry endeavour if you want to make it a consistent visual feature...

12 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

That's just neither a slope, nor does it really behave like one... plus, it inflates the visplane count and can lead to problems if you overdo it... anything other than 1mu wide and 1mu height difference might look "iffy" already, because the more you deviate from 45°, the more you'll see individual pixels... it's a very resource hungry endeavour if you want to make it a consistent visual feature...

Is it not a fake slope then?

Fake slopes is not a technique you often see, but it basically involves leaving the 1 pixel high walls untextured so that the flats all blend together. I think Requiem had some, along with other interesting bits of trickery.

4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

Is it not a fake slope then?

I'd say when the term "fake" is used, we'll need to agree on some definition... To me it means something like: "kind of behaves and looks like X"... For example midtexture bridges that use action 242 in "boom"... It kind of resembles a 3D bridge, but most importantly also kind of works like one... If you fake "room over room" with silent teleports, it kind of looks and feels like room over room (could even be made to "almost" work like room over room with some restrictions), if the mapper put some effort into the illusion... 1mu x 1mu slopes on the other hand don't behave like a ZDoom slope with a similar looking angle at all - it's probably an arbitrary distinction, but to me that's different from something that "looks like and also kinda does thing"...

Generally speaking whenever someone says fake slope in ref to boom mapping, it means 1px high lines etc etc creating the illusion of a slope, whether that is solid floors or mid textures doing it is here nor there.

Iirc there was a wad filled with boom tricks, not boomedit and that showcased them off, made many years ago.