Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknDoomer

Does game industry get weak?

Another E3 has passed. Same as after previous one I personally didn't find much interesting things after. There is a feeling that the gaming industry has sagged a lot in the last 5+ years. Most projects are mostly sequels, sometimes mediocre onces, same as take years to develop... What you think on this case?

Subjectively collect now in the list, for example, 10+ personally interesting AAA titles per year might be a tough solution.

It's all about corporate tendencies. Doesn't have to do as much with the game industry itself as with society / humanity as a whole.
There are two extremes that I've been noticing:
- huge budget + terrible staff. Ubisoft, EA, etc. Self explanatory. Sociopolitical trends over skills and creativity, money laundering over fun, milking franchises for decades on every opportunity, this sort of priority.

- zero budget, no staff. Indie, "boomer shooters", etc. Nice  concepts with no obvious perspective of money-milking it for a decade or two go here. Pretty often - terrible quality or straight up ripoffs in certain aspects.

The middle ground still remains though, and surprising exceptions take place sometimes (alien isolation, doom 2016 - both belong to huge franchises but they're amazing products). Let's hope it'll hold up.

There were hundreds of games this E3. Unless all you like is niche genres I will say you either didn't watch enough of them, only watched the boring stupid ones ( EA and Ubishit come to mind ) or have very different\high expectations from what other players want to play. No major studio wants to just make passion projects because a lot of the ones that focused on that failed sales and were shut down. There is nothing wrong with sequels\remakes as well.

big budged AAA games like to play it safe so their games are usually the same rockstar only makes open world crime games, from software only really makes dark souls with different flavors, i dont think i need to talk about ubsoft their games are the same even the themes and they like to play it really safe on the story too making their games weak, bethesda only releases broken garbage and id software has been making doom clones for over 20 years at this point

not that i have anything against this hell i love almost every id game but if you are looking for new things to be exited you need to look at indies

or capcom i guess they are the AAA studio with the most diversity on games with every franchise being different from the other in big ways (even on the same series sometimes look at the megaman spin offs) though they are only really focusing on monster hunter and resident evil these days

the notion that gaming is less creative today is simpli false though AAA games are too expensive for them to experiment so i recomend you look more at the indie scene 

I trink this E3 was better that i expected. Really interesed in various tittles, and my favorite was great (Halo Infinite). With new suprises like Contraband, and Remplaced.

They're just safe. AAA publishers won't risk not making a fat stack. If gamers don't like this, they shouldn't be lining up to buy Call of Duty 17: Black Ops 5: Cold War

If you want creativity, just like every other media industry, you have to look underground

• Dave Oshry was on E3 and had funny URL's.
  • The Outer Worlds 2 teaser completely mocked the way announcements were made.
  • Devolver Digital was one long joke video.

As long as those things still can happen, then this industry is good.

Crap like shovelware and asset recycling was always part of the industry. This is nothing new.