Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
continuum.mid

[Released] Ultimate MIDI Pack - A community music replacement for the original Doom

On 6/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, northivanastan said:

Want to make E1M4B and E1M8B MIDIs?

I think this ought to be announced in a more prominent way, in case one or two MIDI artists having some spare time were interested.

Making new music for PWADs is not in the scope of this project anyway - but at @Diabolución's suggestion E1M4B and E1M8B have been mentioned in the OP as a "stretch goal."

If anyone wants to contribute more to the project, feel free to download Tech Gone Bad and Phobos Mission Control, and try to make tracks based on them!

Sewers having its own midi is hilarious, but neat. Sewers remaster project to bring it inline with the other levels when? Kick Attack has a Doom 1 variant too if you want to go all Doom 1 'official' content.

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Sewers having its own midi is hilarious, but neat. Sewers remaster project to bring it inline with the other levels when? Kick Attack has a Doom 1 variant too if you want to go all Doom 1 'official' content.

That can be a separate project; it'd be hard to integrate content that doesn't fit well into the general structure of Doom, even as an easter egg.

We have released! Woot!

ultimidi.png.4b9dc383a8f6c5343ea26ba28f8f2162.png

Download the pack here: https://archive.org/download/ultimidi-rc1/ultimidi-rc1.zip

Before I release this pack elsewhere, I would like some help from you, the Doom community:

• Contributors: Make sure the correct versions of your tracks are included. Open your project files back up again and see if there are any tweaks that can be made. Those of you who still want to contribute, try making MIDIs based on John Romero's Phobos Mission Control (E1M4B) or Tech Gone Bad (E1M8B)!
  • Everyone else: Replay Doom with this MIDI pack! And do it on whatever source port and MIDI player you fancy.  Please provide any feedback you can - constructive criticism is welcome.

The final version of this MIDI pack will release July 3rd (or possibly the 4th). Shortly after, it should become available on /idgames, OpenGameArt (copyright-friendly MIDIs), Bandcamp, and YouTube (video with rendered MIDIs), in addition to The Internet Archive (where the RC is now). For the latter four sites, I will be asking @DCG Retrowave to record these on a real Roland SC-88.

To @Cammy, @Bobby “lolmcswagger”, and @STILES - sorry for the double ping - you have until that release date to submit the final versions of your MIDIs!

Edited by northivanastan

2 minutes ago, lokbustam257 said:

hey, would you post this to idgames archive?

Yes, once the final version releases, see OP.

Hell yeah, it's been great following this thread and downloading every single new version to see what has changed along the way. Lots of really good MIDIs in this one, which is no surprise considering who contributed to this project (I recognized many names, and the ones I didn't really impressed me). The way in which the project was managed was also really good, with constant updates, clear deadlines, really organized overall. Congratulations everyone!

Firstly,

Thank you for doing this project! MIDI is a music format I'm relatively new to programming. What you have here is pretty much an entire album that has something for everyone in it. I've been playing Doom since shareware so I just check out the MIDI files, I didn't even need to play the game to notice "what you did there" ;)

I think it's really good, and definitely an asset for people who are building their own Doom levels. I wouldn't mind using a few tracks myself!

I really enjoyed the songs with deep bass & fast drums, tracks that can compliment combat very quickly are invaluable to people like me. It would be interesting to listen to some original compositions too, there's more than enough talent there!

10 minutes ago, Sambo J said:

I wouldn't mind using a few tracks myself! 

You can use my track if you want (with the usual crediting blah blah blah). I'm sure if you ask other people they'd be happy to let you use their tracks as well. Let us know where you're using it and we might have a nosey o at where it's being used as well.

1 minute ago, NeilJohnRips said:

You can use my track if you want (with the usual crediting blah blah blah).

That would be awesome! Your track is the "beast" in my opinion, it's unreal how you managed to make a MIDI file sound like that. I can play guitar, bass, drums, piano, & can confirm; you got some serious abilities there.

I checked all of my included MIDIs. Based on my revision metadata, the MIDIs are the most up-to-date versions.

Edit: Note that E3M8 not being balanced for SCVA-55 is intentional. I prioritized MS Synth for volume balance, and MS Synth's choir is louder than SCVA's. As such, the MIDI's choir is too quiet with SCVA.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

1 hour ago, Sambo J said:

That would be awesome! Your track is the "beast" in my opinion, it's unreal how you managed to make a MIDI file sound like that. I can play guitar, bass, drums, piano, & can confirm; you got some serious abilities there.

Yeah NP. Don't look too hard at the drums though. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of points where you need 3 hands to play it :D

7 hours ago, northivanastan said:

For the latter four sites, I will be asking @DCG Retrowave to record these on a real Roland SC-88. 

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I prioritized MS Synth for volume balance, 

Yeah that's a good point. I did mine for MS synth and I'm sure most of the other midis would also be as well. Be curious to see what happens.

2 hours ago, NeilJohnRips said:

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of points where you need 3 hands to play it :D

Bobby Prince's MIDIs are like that as well, so I don't think it's something many users would have an issue with. Although where possible, I personally try to make my drum tracks realistic in MIDIs that are aiming for realism (in terms of instrument playing, at least as far as General MIDI allows).

Wee! I know what I'll be checking out next.

Was a pleasure contributing. :)

This was such an inspiring project to work on! The compositions are just great and I've already contacted two composers about using their music in my maps. Looking forward to the final release!

It's beautiful how much talent there is in the community, and to see such a flourish of big and small releases this year! The community must have gained close to 300 new tracks if you also include the personal releases of individual composers. Amazing!

Hey Ivan, this sound probably useless but I'm gonna post it anyway. Did you know that re-release "Doom Classic" (that Unity port) have its own MAPINFO? I don't see any DMAPINFO in the WAD file, so I might posted it here: DMAPINFO.rar

Credit to @Gokuma for letting me stole borrow his extracted DMAPINFO, because I'm lazy af to reinstall the Unity port

(oh and BTW, it is for TFC, though the Unity port may reuse some tracks from EP2 and 1 for episode 2 and 3)

Spoiler

If someone have Unity port still installed, please open doom.wad and extracted its DMAPINFO, if you want to

Edited by lokbustam257

1 hour ago, lokbustam257 said:

Hey Ivan, this sound probably useless but I'm gonna post it anyway. Did you know that re-release "Doom Classic" (that Unity port) have its own MAPINFO? I don't see any DMAPINFO in the WAD file, so I might posted it here: DMAPINFO.rar

Credit to @Gokuma for letting me stole borrow his extracted DMAPINFO, because I'm lazy af to reinstall the Unity port

(oh and BTW, it is for TFC, though the Unity port may reuse some tracks from EP2 and 1 for episode 2 and 3)

Thanks! I didn't include DMAPINFO because I can't test it (don't own the Unity port). I'll check it out and see if it can be included.

4 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Edit: Note that E3M8 not being balanced for SCVA-55 is intentional. I prioritized MS Synth for volume balance, and MS Synth's choir is louder than SCVA's. As such, the MIDI's choir is too quiet with SCVA.

I don't expect all MIDIs to be perfectly balanced for SC-88, but I liked what I heard of the test recordings DCG sent me more than my own Fluidsynth exports.

Thanks everyone else for enjoying the pack!

OK checking the files. I'm a bit stumped. So tfcmidi is for playing EP4 midis using vanilla. ultimidi is all midis for any ports that support having unique midis per level. What's uldupmid for?

1 minute ago, NeilJohnRips said:

OK checking the files. I'm a bit stumped. So tfcmidi is for playing EP4 midis using vanilla. ultimidi is all midis for any ports that support having unique midis per level. What's uldupmid for?

Replaces tracks only where the original was a reused track, kinda like how the Raven MIDI Pack was handled.

Ahhh I see. Right I'll carry on checking my midi from the files.

On a random side note looking at the original Ultimate Doom iwad it looks like it duplicates all the EP1 music. Unless I'm mistaken in the way wad files work it seems a bit of a waste of space especially for back then. :D

6 minutes ago, NeilJohnRips said:

On a random side note looking at the original Ultimate Doom iwad it looks like it duplicates all the EP1 music. Unless I'm mistaken in the way wad files work it seems a bit of a waste of space especially for back then. :D

To be fair, they are just tiny MIDIs.

Not an expert but I think WAD files can also be compressed to "merge" identical lumps. Which is what might have been done.

4 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

To be fair, they are just tiny MIDIs.

Well for doom II they dropped a bunch of textures including the "Butchered Baron" texture (an utterly criminal omission IMO XD).

6 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Not an expert but I think WAD files can also be compressed to "merge" identical lumps. Which is what might have been done.

That would make sense.

24 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I think it is just a mistake that does indeed waste a small bit of space (by modern standards, that is).

The Unofficial Doom Specs by Matt Fell has this to say (APPENDIX [A-3]):

"There are some imperfections in the DOOM.WAD file. All versions up to 1.666 have the SW18_7 lump included twice. Versions before 1.666 have the COMP03_8 lump twice. And with version 1.666 somebody really messed up, because every single DP* and DS* and D_* lump that's in the shareware DOOM1.WAD is in the registered DOOM.WAD twice. The error doesn't adversely affect play in any way, but it does take up an unnecessary 800k on the hard drive."

4 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

unnecessary 800k on the hard drive."

I suppose they are more concerned about number of floppy disks vs HD space and cause it's zipped up on the floppys that 800K would probaly be mainly squashed away.

2 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

Reveal hidden contents

If someone have Unity port still installed, please open doom.wad and extracted its DMAPINFO, if you want to

And, yep! This will be included in the next RC.