Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DubstepJesus91

which games did you regret buying

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, aka the Rock Paper Scissors simulator. Thr most overrated pile of unfair, boring crap ever.

Rockman on Commodore Plus 4. Technically I didn't buy this as I was 5 but whatever. I dare you to youtube this, sit in a room full of family or friends and turn the volume up. Brownie points if you go a full minute without anyone thrashing you. 

Just now, DSC said:

That surprised me, I've heard alot about how that game's plot is very complex and deep.

If you are 14 and/or never read a book or watched a movie, maybe.

Just now, ebrl said:

If you are 14 and/or never read a book or watched a movie, maybe.

I'll guess its the japanese standard, some very cool concepts, but their execution and implementation in the plot makes it a little confusing and convoluted.

• COD: Ghosts, definitely the one I have the strongest memory of, because it was the first game I was really hyped for, and in my defense, I wasn't old enough to know better
  • Wolfenstein: The 2014 one I forgot the subtitle of. It just felt really plain to me, like the 2009 one which everyone agreed was mediocre and boring, but for some reason people liked this one. Opening 30 minutes felt like some sci fi WW2 shooter in the vein of the old COD/MOH games which got me hooked, but it's a completely different game after that point. I hate stealth sections, I hate unskippable cutscenes, and I hate hub worlds as much as I hate Nazis, yes, I get it, the whole resistance is every single group of 'untermenschen', very symbolic, but I'm not too interested in having to walk around some useless base with nothing going on just to progress. To quote Charlie Brooker, you're just wandering around a depressing little town looking for jobs to do, it's like living in Stoke. And speaking of hub worlds, someone mentioned Cuphead, I wasn't a big fan of that game, and its hub world was just so confusing to me, a friend of mine kept telling me I was playing completely wrong because "no why are you fighting that boss you only just started", but the game gives you no indication, I just had to go somewhere and hope it was right, Mario 3 invented this overworld hub type thing, completely perfected it, and yet all these new games keep on getting them completely wrong.
  • Insurgency: Sandstorm, this is probably the only game I have legitimate resentment towards, I loved the first Insurgency (would love it more if they got rid of the RPG but what can ye do), hard hitting guns, low TTK, all within the Source engine on maps that aren't milsim size so you don't have to plan your entire day around playing the game like an actual milsim (probably, never actually played one). The sequel basically got rid of all that and turned into Lidl Battlefield, awful optimisation on UE4, the guns have no recoil to speak of, in my short time playing the game I never once had to actually control my fire, or move my aim down to stop myself from going off target, not a big fan of making these big maps so you need to start driving around in technicals, and the series just lost its identity.
  • Cheat answer, I regret buying GTA 4 and Far Cry 3. I like the games, but you need GFWL or Uplay to run them, (don't need GFWL for GTA 4 anymore, only took them 12 years) and that shit's so bad I'd probably have preferred having to fly to Montreal to pick up my copy of the game, so next time I want to play FC3 I'm just going to pirate it, probably a joke in here somewhere since the game's about pirates and all.
Edited by Sena

10 minutes ago, MajorRawne said:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, aka the Rock Paper Scissors simulator. Thr most overrated pile of unfair, boring crap ever.

I'm not really sure the game can be considered overrated considering how much people hate the game. I played through it, and I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It still isn't good though and not worth playing for any reason. 

edit: My mistake, I thought you were talking about Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle for some reason. Yeah, I didn't like Miracle World either. The controls and collision detection were wonky and the ending I got for all my trouble was a middle finger telling me that I missed a treasure or something. Enchanted Castle was mediocre, but Miracle World was somewhat bad. 

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is great though. 

Shadow Warrior 2 and Starbound. Starbound has nothing interesting going on even though it is an entire world.. Beside tentacle monsters destroying earth. Shadow Warrior 2 was boring as shit with how much time padding is there in the repetitive side missions. Randomly generated maps don't work when the enemies and weapons are dreadfully boring, Doesn't it help that it has a Grim Dawn -esque damage elementals that's super restrictive without offering anything in return.

The Last of Us Part 2, i blame myself for not looking up enough about it to realize that pretty much the general consensus is that it's a really shitty game. I didn't even beat the game tbh, i played like 5 hours and said fuck it and went and played Alien Vendetta lol. Much better experience.

My main issue is the slogfest that is the gameplay, not to mention the annoying, unlikeable characters as well as the shitty and poorly written "Vengeance is bad" theme being bludgeoned over your head as you play the same 4 gameplay loops for like 48 hours.

biggest waste of money i think i ever spent

Portal 1-2: I'm not a fan of puzzles, the only reason I bought these two games, because one of my friends wanted to play with it in co-op.

Also this is the game which I couldn't refund, because 14 days already passed by just a few hours. But at least it was cheap, so not a big deal.

Speedrunners: Another game I bought because of that same friend. He wanted to buy it, but I bought the game earlier, and because I invested a few hours in it, he decided to not do that.

The game was fun for a short time, but then I started experiencing huge input lags when using a keyboard, the game suddenly started to forgot my bindings and later they fucked up the ranked system by ranking up everyone by 2-3 ranks "for holidays", which stayed for me for some reason. The skill gap is huge, and only veterans play it nowadays.

Doom Eternal: Feels too different from the rest of the series. I'm an idiot, because I pre-ordered it.

Call of Duty World at War for the ps2: At that time we just had the ps2 (this was a couple of months before its disk reader gave out) so we bought this game and expected it not to be like garbage and it was. Of course it didn't have online play but also the single player campaign for it was cut very short. I beat the game in 3 days. It cost 50 dollars. 50 dollars for a ps2 Demake. Another similar game I regret buying was Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen the game for ps2, which I think was also a similar situation and i beat the game on the day I got it.

Spyhunter 3: Spyhunter 2 was my first ps2 game as a kid. Based off the arcade game of the same name, you control this super spy car that has various weapons you unlock as you progress in the game. I remember it being a cool game and the one opportunity I got to play some of it years later, nostalgia held it up enough for it to still be good. Spyhunter 3 is not like this. Spyhunter 3 is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson the game. You play on foot most of the game and the very few vehicle sections are fine but have none of the customization of the 2nd game (granted in that game, with one exception, the newest unlock was always the best so you could say it wasn't as free with its customization). It was a great disappointment to me, and the one redeeming factor is you do unlock being able to play the original arcade game once you progress some way through the story. This was a bargain bin game so it didn't cost a whole lot of money, but still seeing the game divert so much from the 2nd one was a big gut punch.

Little Big Planet for the PS3: Any of yall remember when psn was hacked and the online service for it didn't work for a bit. Well when it was over they gave you a free game. Guess what game was of the 3 (and if I remember correctly the only good game of the bunch). Little Big Planet. I bought the game before that so like, yah that really burned. I remember at the same time we also didn't have internet in our house for a few months so like I didn't even get to experience the online for the game for long.

Zoop for SNES: If you know Zoop for SNES I don't need to explain this. I myself was too young to regret this, and instead made someone else regret buying it cause I like never played it. Thankfully also a bargain bin game and we got Out of This World at the same time which I never beat till last year, but damn did it look neat.

Honorable mention to me spending 80 bucks and a gameboy sp to buy a half functioning nintendo 3ds so I could play one of the Monster Hunter games on it but never getting around to buying a game for it cause only after buying it did I realize how god awful this specific 3ds was. I still have it. Probably will just do nothing with it.

I regret buying games for cheap price that I knew I wasn't interested in.

- Bayonetta

- Fallout New Vegas

- Castlevania Anniversary Collection

- Mega Man Legacy Collection

- Alone in the Dark 1+2+3

- Vampire The Masquerade

I don't know what was the reason behind this. Maybe because others told me how good the games were, maybe cuz I thought I wasn't picky but then realized I was... there could be other reasons. Now they somewhat haunt me & want to at least finish them once & move on but I dunno if I should.

1 hour ago, Morpheus666 said:

The Last of Us Part 2 [...]

And they kill off the main, beloved protagonist of the first game very early. A clean knee shot! The ending of TLOU2 sucks, too. So no reason at all to look forward to a sequel.

I am going to say any DOOM game and its mods because I am now cripplingly addicted to them. Help me... I can't stop playing them.

I'm probably about to curse myself to 1000 years of hatred but here's a few games I have regretted purchasing (most I still completed JUST to push through or literally out of sheer boredom).

Quake 1:

Spoiler

For the longest time, I genuinely thought Quake was a god tier, amazing, well made game that only aged like fine wine. Sadly, with the terrible arsenal of weapons on hand, enemies that are either way to easy to kill (talking even higher tiered enemies btw) or are flat out cheap AF and lacking end bosses for several chapters, Quake really did not hit home for me at all.

Half-Life:

Spoiler

No your eyes are not deceiving you. I genuinely HATE HL1. Sure, some of the jokes are funny and the brilliant ground-breaking technological feats produced in a pre-2000's game is gobsmacking but once you set that aside, you have incredibly linear locations with enemies that are a headache to kill (the marines, those weird floating alien things in Zen as well as a friggin' tank), a guy who breaks his ankles on a 1 foot drop and the fact that Opposing Force exists.

Serious Sam 3: Before First Encounter:

Spoiler

After releasing FE + SE, Croteam decided to make SS2. Some people disliked how incredibly goofy the second game is. That's fine, I personally loved it wacky absurd nature of it. Serious Sam 3 however completely removes all humour and adds sand and tan-coloured bricks EVERYWHERE. Yes it themed in a desert but some colour variety can still occur in desert-y themed games/locations (SS1FE is a perfect example). Adding in enemies that can happily choke you and stop you dead in your tracks is not only incredibly BS but when you've got 20 kleer skeletons on your arse, the last thing you need is some hitscan f**kjob pinning you down r34 style from across the map (did I mention said enemy can FLY!?). If however this was the only flaw, I'd let it slide, but no... SS3 added F***ING CLIPS!!! Why in the holy god damn Mary mother of Joses would I want to constantly reload in a game about crowd control and massive onslaught? If that wasn't enough, the game reuses a joke where Sam thinks he's safe, but then crashes back down... several times. SS3 is already incredibly long and tedious so seeing that felt like a massive insult.

The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind:

Spoiler

As if I haven't dug myself deep enough yet, TES3 essentially explains more or less everything you can do to completely cock up a 3D fantasy adventure open-world style of game. From your playing moving so slow early on you could literally finish Skyrim's entire main campaign (plus DLC's) by the time you reach anywhere worthwhile, to the fact that mana never regenerates (or if it does that it takes 1 entire millennium (seriously, Oblivion is the first TES game to get magic correct)), hitting anything is a role of the dice (good idea for board games, not so much for videogames), Stamina being way too precious to use up but you need to constantly use it to beat the game before the heat death of the universe, to quite possibly some of the most boring and uninteresting gameplay I've played in a TES game (Until I touched TES 1+2).

AMID-EVIL:

Spoiler

Hey kids! I heard ya liked Heretic and Hexen! So we made a game with a medieval aesthetic with some of the most painfully bland level designs ever! Once you get bored of that, we got levels so ungodly hard that even NM from OG DooM looks easy!

This game is just a straight no from me.

Fable Anniversary:

Spoiler

Probably my least regretful purchase on this list but Fable Anniversary is literally just Fable 1 with longer loading times, horrendous UI for PC players, 2 bug fixes, models that ironically look worse than the original (I think nearly everyone looks better in OG fable) and a nerf to the fireball spell. (seriously Fireball lvl 4 was ludicrously broken in the original fable TLC XD)

There are 2 games I regret buying
- Postal 3
- Saints Row 4

Postal 3 is an unfinished mess of a game, while Saints Row 4 took a very sharp turn which I really didn't like.

I'd say Deux Ex Human Revolutions and XIII-Classic. I didn't read the system requirements for Human Revolutions right and it plays like ass on my laptop, and I bought XIII-Classic on Steam and then GOG decided to give it away for free. I got the GOG version anyway, though. I do regret not realizing that Wasteland 2 Director's Cut has a code for Wasteland Classic too.

None. I tend to do extensive research on the games I'm considering purchasing before ever parting with my hard earned cash. Thus my library is small, but has no regrets.

Ooh! I forgot!

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE.

This is the game I regret buying more than anything else. The graphics were often woeful (some of the backgrounds would have been acceptable on PS2). The storyline just wasn't there. Are we saving the world, or rescuing lost kittens?

So sad to see yet another iconic franchise given the modern treatment, and heroes of yesteryear demeaning themselves like this. If this was the first time anyone had ever heard of Final Fantasy VII, it would just be a middle of the road, weird RPG that somehow manages to be bloated while completely empty.

4 hours ago, [McD]James said:

I'm not really sure the game can be considered overrated considering how much people hate the game. I played through it, and I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. It still isn't good though and not worth playing for any reason. 

edit: My mistake, I thought you were talking about Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle for some reason. Yeah, I didn't like Miracle World either. The controls and collision detection were wonky and the ending I got for all my trouble was a middle finger telling me that I missed a treasure or something. Enchanted Castle was mediocre, but Miracle World was somewhat bad. 

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World is great though. 

If you think Miracle World is bad, stay away from High-Tech World...

6 hours ago, Endless said:

Back in the day, my uncle and I both shared the expenses to buy Duke Nukem Forever collectors edition. We were big fans of the saga and Forever was finally coming out.

Oh that is some true suffering! Randy Pitchford and Gearbox have stolen goodwill from the FPS community. I have been hoodwinked a couple times from them, and one of them indeed was Duke Nukem Forever. The other one was Aliens: Colonial Marines, also a Randy Pitchford disasterpiece. That garbage became canon and sent the Alien franchise to its lowest point. Poor ole @Captain Caleb was having a nice stream and I came barging in with a whole rant, ruining his streaming career haha. Sorry about that Caleb, but happy to see you rebound at E1M1!

When I was younger I bought Sonic Free Riders for the Xbox Kinect. At the time I didn't see the problem with the Kinect and enjoyed it alot, after playing that game I understood everything.

50 minutes ago, The_Trve_Raith said:

Hatred.

I basically paid 5$ for a really boring repetitive top-down shooter.

would you say you have a hatred for the game

Oh, boy, I look forward to being torn apart for this...

I got Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition on a Steam sale nearly a year ago, because I was interested in its story and the fact that it's an early Unreal Engine game. It took me about two hours to realize that I prefer straight-forward first-person combat rather than RPG/stealth-focused mechanics, since I found myself constantly screwing over my cover in the first area of the game and just taking tons of damage. Not to mention that the vanilla game has no kind of autosave function whatsoever. So if you are the kinda guy who likes to save scum a lot, then I guess this is the game for you?

Edited by GamingMarine

12 hours ago, deus-ex said:

How far into Shado Warrior (2013) did you actually play? At first, I had the same concerns, derived from previews. I wanted a true sequel to Shadow Warrior which this is not, but a prequel of sorts.

Later on, I bought it in a sale. For the first few levels, the gameplay felt underwhelming. But if you stick to it, the character weapons and abilities improve, and with it the gameplay (e.g. the sword). The greatest fun though is the hilarious sidekick Hoji. On the first encounters, it didn't really click with me. Later on, though, the dialogs improve and Hoji and Lo Wang have some really funny and nasty conversations. I then kept looking forward to their next meet.

Honestly I have so many other things to do and games to play that I really cannot be assed playing through a game in the hopes it might stop being awful at some point.

1 minute ago, Murdoch said:

Honestly I have so many other things to do and games to play that I really cannot be assed playing through a game in the hopes it might stop being awful at some point.

That reminds me a lot of how I felt when playing the early part of Duke Nukem Forever.

Unreal 2. That game is by far the worst FPS game I've ever played. Even worse than Duke Nukem Forever. I don't know how it's not talked about being one of the absolute worst games ever made.

7 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

Gothic 2 is one of my top games of all time. If you didn't like the first game, you probably wouldn't be able to get into the second. It has pretty much the same control scheme, but the inventory is slightly better.

What about the Risen games, did you try any of those?

Quake Wars: I never played it and I don't see myself ever playing it tbh. Just lack of interest for that type of game. I think I bought it just 'cause it was a bundle with Quake 4 in the store. That was when I used to buy physical PC games.

Pokemon Sun: I bought this one thinking it was a prequel to the Ultra games (sort of like BW and B2W2). Later I learned it was pointless to own both. It's still sealed so that's good.

I actually have more regret for games I've sold now that I think about it.