Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnthonyTankHD

here is a debate

It's really not a debate. Play it how you want to play it.  If you're enjoying, then you're playing it correctly. Because it's a game. Hence, it's meant to be fun, and if you want a challenge like using a PS1 steering wheel and you still have fun, go for it.

I like mouse+keyboard. If you want to use only keyboard, go for it, there's some amazingly skilled keyboard players out there. Gamepad, joystick, hell there's probably people that play it with a flight stick. Go hog wild. Play it on a thermostat display panel.

Doom doesn't care how you're playing it, just have fun.

rockRollerNES.jpg

How is this even an argument

Edit: And if you need a friend for deathmatch

330px-NES-ROB.png

Edited by Wavy

Started on keyboard, but only play with a pad now as I have more hours on consoles rather than PC,  I found strafing easier with keyboard though. 

Game is beatable with just the arrows, ctrl and space ( Even with the shit turn speed you can dodge things with backward + turn left or right ). You will get stuck in Doom 2 without the run button at map02 but that's the one time you need to stop playing with one hand.

8 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Usually keyboard and mouse, however...

ezgif-2-4800e222275b.jpg

Ah, a fellow cultured player. :P

Curious, what bindings did you set, if you actually played with this? I did in a discord call stream for a joke a year or two back; working out what bindings to use was a puzzle in and of itself.  

4 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Ah, a fellow cultured player. :P

Curious, what bindings did you set, if you actually played with this? I did in a discord call stream for a joke a year or two back; working out what bindings to use was a puzzle in and of itself.  

I've tried playing Doom multiple times with a Guitar Hero controller, namely a wii les paul. I can't recall what exact bindings I used but I remember doing something along the lines of strumming down to fire, strumming up to use, and using tank control movement using the frets with green being the run button. (Because you usually hold green often in anchoring lmao.)

Interesting! I used the strumbar for walk forward / backward, with green being "strafe on", red being turn left (or strafe left if green is held), yellow being fire, blue being turn right (or strafe), orange being use. I think I had weapon change on the whammy bar??? I forget, heh.

Yeah, the weapon change is what I'm unsure about with what I set it to. I believe I set it to the analog stick or something, the whammy on my les paul is very loose. :(

The way to play Doom is to run it yourself. Rated the number one fitness app in the world.

Always Run is required however.

Doomworld Thread: here

1 hour ago, Pegg said:

Game is beatable with just the arrows, ctrl and space ( Even with the shit turn speed you can dodge things with backward + turn left or right ). You will get stuck in Doom 2 without the run button at map02 but that's the one time you need to stop playing with one hand.

Hdoom players take note...

which is do you play classic doom with a

Mouse and Keyboard

Controller (Playstation, Xbox, any of the bluetooth controller)

Plot twist. Have played it with keyboard only, same as some other shooters. Ctrl for shooting and arrows for moving.

Played keyboard only back in the 90s of course. But I only play with keyboard and mouse now.

I did play Doom 64 on the N64 for awhile.

I will say those advertisements that @rd. posted with Romero are awesome!!

I use a controller because my fingers are too long to comfortably use kb&m, and because I don't have proper room for my kb&m. Doom is very easy to play with a controller. Bind each of the arrow keys to a different weapon, use bumpers for a mouse scroll replacement, and you still have the Y and X buttons free to bind. I use the select button for quicksave and B for loading the last save.

Sitting on the sofa = controller

Sitting at the PC = M + KB

13 hours ago, roadworx said:

anyone who uses a controller is a heretic and will be burnt at the stake

I play Heretic with a controller, I'm not afraid of fire

Going back to the topic, I usually play KB+Mouse, but whenever I feel like it, I play with a controller

i've beaten Doom, Doom2 (except IOS, never bothered with it), TNT, Quake, and Quake2 with keyboard only. it was fun. i even played Q2 deathmatches with keyboard only. but now i am too old for that shit, so keyboard+mouse.

Put another nickel in the jar labeled "M/KB?"

I'll try this one again: has anyone made use of mouse MOVEMENT? It's incredibly powerful in Wolf3d, where you can slide in and out of cover by gesturing with the mouse, but in Doom the player doesn't accelerate as quickly.

Mouse and keyboard. I only use a controller for select games (platformers, for instance) and also, playing PC-designed games with a damn controller is absolute fucking blasphemy (unless it's something like playing Doom 64 with a 3rd-party 64 USB controller, but it's not worth it for me)!