Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

Delta Labs: Crew Quarters (Custom map - Released)

This is great news! Glad to know D3 hasn't been forgotten.
I’m constantly running out of time to play new things, but ... overall, its nice to know!
Hope to see it in release soon.

For an early WIP this already looks impressive, really nice details! The lighting looks very good as well.

Looking forward to the release!

Thanks everyone for the comments!. I am still working on this map.

A bit more of WIP (Monsters are just for the screenshots, I am still working with the base structure without too much details)

image.png

Still working with the map, very close to finish the structure (without details, monsters and proper lighting yet. But still the hardest part for me at least)

image.png.9066f05900599a7155dfac9329df9c5d.png

image.png.ded7b424b6319e9eff496809defcd294.png

image.png.4f4fd58960cf769cbec7a684d9a7c2a5.png

Latest pics remind me of Central Server Banks, I love where this is going and can't wait to play it!

I may be getting ahead of things, but do you plan for the map to be more exploration based or combat-centric? I'd love to help playtest when it gets to that stage.

How do you people find the right textures to use for your techbases?! There are gazillions of UAC textures in Doom 3, grouped by the original id maps they were focused on. My only way to cope with that was to look at the original levels, and ape their designs and texture usage in my WIP level! Given the specialized nature of some materials, I imagine the result would be chaotic if I just choose what textures I see in the editor (especially when they do NOT look the same as in-game).

8 hours ago, printz said:

How do you people find the right textures to use for your techbases?!

It takes some time to memorize where which textures are. The directories are kind of chaotic, for example textures/base_wall includes most of the scifi wall textures, but from a wide range of styles, they don't all match with each other.

It can help when you differentiate between clean and grungy textures. textures/base_wall has both, but textures/enpro has mostly grungy industrial looking textures. textures/mcity has many clean scifi textures, but also those grungy orange textures.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:49 AM, Lippeth said:

Latest pics remind me of Central Server Banks, I love where this is going and can't wait to play it!

I may be getting ahead of things, but do you plan for the map to be more exploration based or combat-centric? I'd love to help playtest when it gets to that stage.

I am not so sure to be honest. I want some nice combat but at the same time I love exploration. But I guess this map is not that big to make it purely exploration based so I will try to focus a bit more in combat (while trying to don't make it really hard)

So, I am already working in the gameplay of the map, but I was forced to add a new section in the map for a long hall was feeling really empty. This is probably the last section I add to the map. Probably next month I would like to find some beta testers if anyone feels up to help.

image.png.206c56ba7cad7bc69f402d49083c46b8.png

image.png.988f5d0bcb5cb17a42aad8a61fcc241d.png

On 7/22/2021 at 10:18 PM, Doommarine_maxi said:

Probably next month I would like to find some beta testers if anyone feels up to help.

Sign me in!

On 7/22/2021 at 6:18 PM, Doommarine_maxi said:

Probably next month I would like to find some beta testers if anyone feels up to help.

Count me in as well!

Hi!

Anyone interested to help with beta testing please send me a private message here, or via email (stradexengine@gmail.com)
I'll share a private beta release of the map to anyone who wants to help with testing. The map still is not finished but the core gameplay and idea of the map it's pretty close to it's final state.

Edited by Doommarine_maxi

Estos chicos de hoy... qué maleducados.

I'm going through the map in bits, why? because so far it's having a decent length and if I use my spare time to finish it in one go I'll end up rushing it, and I don't think is going to be much of a beta testing if I don't gather notes to hand you over afterward.

So far though all encounters have performed well without any glitch or anything, my only notes are regarding visuals, which you already said that is yet to get more polishing.

1 hour ago, Arl said:

Estos chicos de hoy... qué maleducados.

I'm going through the map in bits, why? because so far it's having a decent length and if I use my spare time to finish it in one go I'll end up rushing it, and I don't think is going to be much of a beta testing if I don't gather notes to hand you over afterward.

So far though all encounters have performed well without any glitch or anything, my only notes are regarding visuals, which you already said that is yet to get more polishing.

(Es un amigo no te preocupes, el me entiende jajaja)

I am glad you are testing the map. Thanks a lot for testing it!

First version of the map has been released!. It includes some bug fixes thanks for the people who helped with beta testing, it will be updated just one time more if more bugs or vital problems are found by other people that is still testing the map.

Moddb: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/addons/delta-labs-crew-quarters-sp-map

Alternative mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/file/dfbnb3397bq0qa0/DeltaCrewQuarters.zip/file

Edited by Doommarine_maxi

First I want to apologize because I didn't manage to playtest your map in time. Nevertheless want to give you some feedback.

This is one of the hardest Doom 3 maps I played so far, and that's of course a good thing (for the most part)! I was constantly on the edge playing this, low on health and ammo, constantly under attack, it's challenging and fun.

For some reason I could not load my save files after quitting and relaunching RoE (error message: maps/secon_labs.proc not found), so I restarted the map svereal times and the farthest I played is up until that hectic Server Room battle.

Small oversight in construction: All the door frames in the first floor hall keep their red lights, even after the door was unlocked. As far as I remember you need to set the door frame as "buddy" with the corresponding door, so the lights will turn green when unlocked.

Visually it's really nice, contains some interesting rooms and there is a good amount of detail, just like in the original levels. Good lighting as well, except in the bathroom were you went overboard with red light, darkness and strobe lights.

Ambient sound is good, except that generator room noise in the lobby, which feels out of place.

Combat for the most part is great, you set up some unusual monster combinations but they work really well. There is almost always a backup monster following closely for each monster you encounter, keeps you on your toes. When you backtrack, there is always re-enforcements of monsters, often through monster closets, these IMO work well and keep the suspense on a high level.

Sometimes I tried to run past monsters to reach a better position, but that most times resulted in getting overwhelmed by the backup monsters. Best tactic in your level is backtrack and carefully pick up demons one after the other.

Only situation I really did not enjoy was that bathroom battle: cramped space, darkness, strobe lights, player is low on health, ammo and armor and then you punish him for picking up the SSG with an assault of Trites, Commandos, a Revenant and more.

I enjoyed reading the PDAs, I think they were well written. Mappers often don't put enough effort in this.

Those Renaissance names like Caravaggio and Vergil Aligheri seemed off though, are they supposed to be jokes?

Another thing that could be improved is the progression through PDA door access. Normally I see a secured door, memorize the name of the authorized person, get a certain sense of accomplishment when I find the corresponding PDA, and go back to that door to unlock it. Here all that was kind of obscure, I picked up PDAs from other people, randomly my security clearance updated and then I had to press every door GUI to see if it now opens.

Similar case with the key secured doors: a clear GUI panel with yellow key or ACO key dsiplayed would make it clearer which key I need for that door.

So overall I really enjoyed this and I will pick it up again when I have some spare time to beat that Server Room battle.

This was an excellent map, and it's no doubt one of the most fun maps that I've played for Doom 3. The gameplay was action-packed, challenging, and had a lot of really nasty ambushes. I think @Tetzlaff already expressed a lot of thoughts I had about the map (such as the dark bathroom near the beginning being a pain -- it would have been much better if it just weren't so dark). The monster density in this map is high, and at times (especially the final battle) it started to feel a bit closer to classic doom with its amount of action. As Tetzlaff said, you used some interesting monster combinations, which really elevated the action. The final battle was quite brutal, but what unfortunately ruined it a little for me is the camera shake when getting hit (not your fault, of course). I'll have to load up a good mod that gets rid of the Doom 3 camera shake and give it another playthrough. One other thing about the final battle, though, was that the floor falls in at a certain spot in the room, making it possible to get stuck and suffer a cheap death. Honestly, I think this detracts from the fight. But at least it was just one little spot and wasn't that hard to avoid once you know where it is. That aside, I thought you did a great job setting up the final battle in terms of the room layout and monster choices. It was very satisfying to beat.

Again, I really enjoyed this, and I would love to see more Doom 3 maps from you in the future!

1 hour ago, Fiendish said:

I'll have to load up a good mod that gets rid of the Doom 3 camera shake and give it another playthrough.

One of my favorites that does this is CstDoom3. I'm sure you already have a go-to, but this does it all so well that I had to recommend it. It's also the only mod I've found that properly displays the hud in widescreen, and disables every screen effect individually with a menu option. Sorry to deviate from the main topic!