Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

The Ultimate Game

Here's a question to get those creative juices flowing.

If you made a megawad out of your favorite wads, what would it look like?  How would the progression work?  Would it be insane or logical?  Basically, what levels and in what order?

You can put standalone wads in the middle or cherry-pick from other megawads, and you can change the map numbers around any way you want.

This should be intriguing!  For those of you who would never do this, there's nothing to be gained from telling me.  I already know you're out there, and you wouldn't want to disrupt the integrity of the wads, etc.  This question is for the rest of you!

This sounds very fun. I'm not going to go for all of my favorite WADs, because Ancient Aliens' style would clash really badly with Eviternity's for example, but I'll pick maps I think would be cool next to each other.

From JPCP, I'd take all 4 of the Kurashiki maps, all 9 of the BuraboJunior maps, and maps 28 and 29.

To compliment those maps, I'd take Kurashiki's map10 from Nova III and the three maps in BuraboJunior's "Water Spirit" miniwad.

That's 19 maps so far. For the rest, I can cherrypick from various other WADs that I think had cool-looking maps.

And here it is:

Spoiler

Water Episode:

1. Japanese Community Project MAP08: Riminshi Valley
  2. Water Spirit MAP01: Aquarius
  3. Water Spirit MAP02: The Temple of Water Spirit Part 1
  4. Water Spirit MAP03: The Temple of Water Spirit Part 2
  5. Japanese Community Project MAP19: Remind

Egyptian Episode:

1. Scythe 2 MAP06: Temple Entryway
  2. Scythe 2 MAP07: Temple of Isis
  3. Scythe 2 MAP08: Graverobbers
  4. Alien Vendetta MAP20: Misri Halek
  5. Scythe 2 MAP10: Pharaoh's Tomb

Tech Episode:

1. Japanese Community Project MAP21: Search and Destroy
  2. Japanese Community Project MAP04: Thaumasia
  3. Japanese Community Project MAP12: Magnetic Force Apparatus
  4. Japanese Community Project MAP17: UAC Energy Plant
  5. Japanese Community Project MAP20: Escape from UAC Space Base

Secret Maps:

1. Community Chest 4 MAP20: Interstellar Sickness
  2. Community Chest 4 MAP21: Shaman's Device

Variety Episode:

1. Japanese Community Project MAP11: My Fav
  2. Japanese Community Project MAP15: Nandeyanen
  3. Alien Vendetta MAP10: Toxic Touch
  4. Japanese Community Project MAP27: A Resplendent Emerald Green
  5. Japanese Community Project MAP29: Hazmat Hazama

Hell Episode:

1. Japanese Community Project MAP22: A Den of Vice
  2. Japanese Community Project MAP25: Cakravartin's Miscalculation
  3. Nova III MAP10: A Partner for the 49th Day
  4. Japanese Community Project MAP28: Hellport
  5. Japanese Community Project MAP30: Every beginning has an end

Edited by northivanastan

Don't expect much logic. I'm just throwing things together without a huge amount of regard for difficulty :P) I do think I need to play more wads though

First Tech Episode

Map 1 of Memento Mori

Map 02 of 180 Minutes Pour Vivre

Map 07 of Memento Mori II

Map 07 of TNT

Map 11 of TNT

Foursite

some

whatever episode

Map 12 of Doom II

Map 02 of Heartland

Map 01 of Alien Vendetta Black Label

Map 04 of Fragor Portum

Map 28 Icarus

Map 15 of 180 Minutes Pour Vivre

more tech maps

Map 13 of Alien Vendetta

hell maps

E3M5

Map 01 of Generic Hell Maps

XXXI Cybersky

Edited by LadyMistDragon

Ultimate Doom is the most ultimate game

Because you know, it has the word "ultimate" infront of it

I suspect I could make two of these, although it would take a while to decide what's what. One would be a short maps map set, made up of the choicest cuts from the following:

• Jiffy Bag
  • Deathless
  • Khorus' Speedy Shit
  • Mini-level MegaWAD
  • MAYhem 2048
  • MAYhem 1500
  • MAYhem 2020
  • Coffee Break

And maybe some other loose maps from people like memfis and Jimmy. Basically try and distill my love of well-made short maps into a 32-map megaWAD with a standard difficulty progression. Not sure what maps I'd pick from what, as it'd take a lot of trial and error to see what the ideal is, but the end result would be the cream of the short map crop all squeezed into one set for an amazing continuous blast. It'd tend towards lower difficulty to begin with, but as the weapon availability improves, I'd definitely lean on the harder maps. There's some real ball busters in there.

The other one would be some kind of Community Chest-style best-of from the DBPs. I'd have to use GZDoom to manage all of the different assets, but I've got experience with that from my own Persephone series. Picking the standout 1-4 maps from each set and arranging by difficulty, then having each map use it's own themed enemies as appropriate and maybe doing a Tomatomania-style selection of the weapon skins (where they're not also altered in behaviour) should do nicely. The themes being all over the place wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm sure there's a hub-based approach that could be used to explain that away if necessary.

I do think this is one trick I missed with the Persephone series, mind. Not making the maps play continuously and forcing pistol start does keep the maps from being broken by the lack of planned progression, but you do miss out one of the main benefits of having a compilation. I do have a potential Volume 4 in the back of my head, which would look like this:

• MAP31: They Mostly Come At Night (Doomer Boards Project 17: Alone MAP02)
  • MAP32: Portal Facility (TNT: Revilution MAP20)
  • MAP33: Even in the Future Nothing Works! (DBP24: Spaceballs: The Sequel: The Quest for More DBP Maps MAP04)
  • MAP34: Get Up; Don't Stop (MAYhem 2020: Something, Something, Hindsight... MAP09)
  • MAP35: Ares Compound (Doomer Boards Project 01: Monuments of Mars MAP03)
  • MAP36: Blast Processing (Doomer Boards Project 18: UMBRAL PLATINUM MAP03)
  • MAP37: Winter Wonderland (Doomer Boards Project 19: A Doomer Boards Christmas Carol MAP10)
  • MAP38: Abdicate the Throne (Doomer Boards Project 23: Evil Egypt MAP12)
  • MAP39: Lost Temple (Lost Temple)
  • MAP40: For The Hell Of It (ZPack: Random Maps for ZDoom E2M0)

On the other hand, I have an "essentials" idea that would be set up for continuous play and that would look like this, which might be even better and kin dof make the above redundant:

• MAP01: E2MWalter (E2MWalter)
  • MAP02: Even in the Future Nothing Works! (DBP24: Spaceballs: The Sequel: The Quest for More DBP Maps MAP04)
  • MAP03: Get Up; Don't Stop (MAYhem 2020: Something, Something, Hindsight... MAP09)
  • MAP04: Ares Compound (Doomer Boards Project 01: Monuments of Mars MAP03)
  • MAP05: Blast Processing (Doomer Boards Project 18: UMBRAL PLATINUM MAP03)
  • MAP06: Big Woodchip (Big Woodchip)
  • MAP07: Abdicate the Throne (Doomer Boards Project 23: Evil Egypt MAP12)
  • MAP08: Loathsome Cleft (Loathsome Cleft)
  • MAP09: Winter Wonderland (Doomer Boards Project 19: A Doomer Boards Christmas Carol MAP10)
  • MAP10: Meat Grinder (Doom II: 25 Years on Earth (One Year Late Edition) MAP18)
  • MAP11: Jaeger Complex (Doomer Boards Project 22: Biotech is Godzilla MAP04)
  • MAP12: Lost Temple (Lost Temple)
  • MAP13: Abandon All Hope (MAYhem 2048 MAP23)

Of course, doing that would remove from time working on my current megaWAD and another map I've had on and off the backburner for some time, so...