Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMightyWhoosh

KINDa 2.0 (32-map megawad)

I'm playing through this and am on level 9.  Levels look good and are fun to play.  I intend to play it all the way through, which I admit, I don't do a lot of complete play-throughs of new 32-map megawads these days.

I got a little ways into the original release earlier this year, and definitely enjoyed what I played! Can't wait to give the updated version a spin.

I remember playing the first version when someone posted a thread about it a while back here on DW and enjoying what i played (first 8-ish maps) quite a lot, can't wait to play a version compatible with ports that run a lot better on my laptop now :)

Glad to see this back in the public, it's complete with neat ideas I think people who love og doom influence/difficulty will doubtlessly appreciate. 

Last year's mystery mapper comes through!

If you ask me, this should be a no-brainer candidate as an official Unity port addon (if they're still looking for more). Only official Doom music and vanilla textures aside from (original) skies, limit-removing compatibility and one author aside from a few graphics, so no complications with permissions.

I've gotten to map 8 so far and i am writing a review of what i think of it. Once i'm done playing all 32 maps of your mega wad i'll have my review done and posted here. Please remember it is my personal option about the wad, not going by anyone else's option and i'm not starting drama with the review as well. 

I couldn't stop playing it. Tight gameplay with good flow, intuitive design, monsters used effectively. Sooooooo good!

On 6/20/2021 at 5:06 AM, TheMightyWhoosh said:

* Most maps have been tweaked to improve gameplay. This includes adding clues/teleporters/cues to the next part of a map if a switch is pressed for example, secrets being a little less obscure, monster/item locations and the such

This is still a great classic-style megawad. Kudos to this in particular though, I did remember getting lost in a number of maps where it wasn't apparent where to go, but now I had an easier time. Or maybe that's just my own experience the first time? :P

Ah, I was wondering if this would ever get a proper release. I played it back then and now I played it again... it's solid work, but the main drawback remains: some maps are confusing and it's not apparent which switch opens what. So even during my second playthrough, I had to run around like headless chicken and check everything. (Which was actually an improvement, because on my first playthrough, I had to rely on WAD editor to figure out what to do next). IMO it  wouldn't hurt if some of the switch hunts were (even more) simplified or at least the switches more clearly marked. Apart from that, I noticed several bugs (I played on UV in GZdoom 4.5.0):

MAP12: the pentagram teleporter floor tiles on lifts look odd.

MAP17: similar to MAP12, it's odd that doors use crate textures.

MAP19: the SSG secret is hard to "find" in GZdoom because the sector is too narrow.

MAP32: Multiple things are broken here. There is no way to open sector 219, thus you need to noclip for the yellow key. There is no way out of sector 404. Also, the sector isn't damaging although it has lava floor. You can't open the narrow passage out if you fall into sector 316. And isn't SSG near start supposed to be secret?   

7 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Ah, I was wondering if this would ever get a proper release. I played it back then and now I played it again... it's solid work, but the main drawback remains: some maps are confusing and it's not apparent which switch opens what. So even during my second playthrough, I had to run around like headless chicken and check everything. (Which was actually an improvement, because on my first playthrough, I had to rely on WAD editor to figure out what to do next). IMO it  wouldn't hurt if some of the switch hunts were (even more) simplified or at least the switches more clearly marked. Apart from that, I noticed several bugs (I played on UV in GZdoom 4.5.0):

MAP12: the pentagram teleporter floor tiles on lifts look odd.

MAP17: similar to MAP12, it's odd that doors use crate textures.

MAP19: the SSG secret is hard to "find" in GZdoom because the sector is too narrow.

MAP32: Multiple things are broken here. There is no way to open sector 219, thus you need to noclip for the yellow key. There is no way out of sector 404. Also, the sector isn't damaging although it has lava floor. You can't open the narrow passage out if you fall into sector 316. And isn't SSG near start supposed to be secret?   

Hey mate,

Regarding sector 219; I can manage to operate the switch that opens this door in multiple ports and nobody else that tested the map had this problem? Did you find the switch which is behind the blood fall and then up into the outside space near the Baron? In hindsight, the shootable switches here to access said switch maybe should have been a little more obvious. Sector 404 is an oversight as probably, nobody before had fell in, haha! 

I guess I’m a massive puzzle fan, so I’ve naturally made my maps into a ‘search and explore’ type adventure. I’ve tried to simplify many of them without trying to hand-hold the player, so to speak. I hope you still enjoyed the maps somewhat, despite the bugs you’ve experienced!

Also, thanks to everybody so far that has commented! I hope you all enjoy playing as much as I’ve enjoyed creating! 

Edited by TheMightyWhoosh

Now when you mention it, I remember I checked in a WAD editor, but I couldn't figure out how to reach the last switch without cheats. Well, if the map worked worked for others, it should be fine in GZdoom, too. And if these switch hunts were your intention, it's absolutely fine with me.

Great map set with a nice classic feel. Thank you!

I too had issues with map 32. Never thought to shoot those bloodspitting heads behind the bloodfall, you maybe could make that clearer. I also fell in and was trapped in that non-damaging lava space because I couldn't find any way to raise that bridge so tried to run across. Also I had to cheat to get to the secret levels in the first place - I found 6/7 secrets on map 15 but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to raise the bars in front of that one switch. That maybe was a little too hidden.

Thanks for the kind words! Very happy that you enjoyed playing through the levels. 

All in all, the maps generally received very mixed reviews on here; however as KINDa  was my first public release, it’ll always be special for me. I’ll never reach the heights of some of the very talented mappers we have in the community, but I’m grateful I got the opportunity to showcase something. 

^I think you're more talented than you think you are.  Just looking at the automaps shows you have a sense of vanilla/limit removing gameplay that is interesting and while I haven't played them yet, they look like they probably have some pretty good gameplay.  You can have the most amazing looking map ever, but if it plays like shit, then it doesn't matter.  I'd use what you've learned from this one and continue mapping with the style you've got.  Maybe try honing your speedmapping so that creating wads doesn't take as long and see what you can come up with for 6 - 8 hours of mapping per map.  You might be surprised how soon you could push out another megawad.  

4 hours ago, TheMightyWhoosh said:

All in all, the maps generally received very mixed reviews on here; however as KINDa  was my first public release, it’ll always be special for me. I’ll never reach the heights of some of the very talented mappers we have in the community, but I’m grateful I got the opportunity to showcase something. 

Several of your maps frustrated the shit out of me but they were incredibly unique, and places from KINDa still pop up in my head sometimes. I seriously hope we get more maps from you if you're up to it.

Thanks guys!

The idea of of speed-mapping is incredibly appealing. I finally have some spare time to put aside for mapping, so a collection of small, fast-paced vanilla maps could be on the cards in the future. 

I'm working my way through this continuous with Complex Doom. Just finished map18. Rock solid all the way so far. Some of the secrets are eluding me completely tho.