Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

[Limit-Removing] [Is out and ready!] WMC02: Thy Flesh Vored

Yissssssssss

A lot of my Dooming time is going to be taken up by making/testing my own and others' maps for RAMP, but I definitely want to play this and soon

5 minutes ago, Death Bear said:

Super excited about this RC2! Woo! This team has been super fun to work alongside! 

Glad to hear that! This project was a blast for me personally. My first map too so let's see how well I did :P

1 hour ago, Endless said:

Glad to hear that! This project was a blast for me personally. My first map too so let's see how well I did :P

Endless, I played your map and had a lot of fun! It had a very nice old school feel and I liked the Wadazine Rules room, haha.

I could have used a little bit more health. I was starving for it throughout. But it was a really fun map and terrific for your first map!

2 minutes ago, TheGreenZap said:

Endless, I played your map and had a lot of fun! It had a very nice old school feel and I liked the Wadazine Rules room, haha.

I could have used a little bit more health. I was starving for it throughout. But it was a really fun map and terrific for your first map!

Hah, it is a pretty challenging map on UV, but it should be more forgiving on HMP and lower! :)

Thanks a lot for playing and thank you for the kind words. You'll love the rest of the set.

Difficult (and fun) enough to make say "Damn, i want to play it again and again" and not so hard to say  "Thank god that hell is over"
10/10

16 minutes ago, Pavo_ said:

Difficult (and fun) enough to make say "Damn, i want to play it again and again" and not so hard to say  "Thank god that hell is over"
10/10

Really great to hear! Thank you!

I had another play through MAP01 and I'm glad to say it works a lot better in dsda-doom now! One minor bug I noticed, though: in the round room with the skull switch in the middle, the front side of the lift out is SR Lift, but the two small sides of the lift are S1 Lift and are missing sector tags.

I'm slowly working my way through this and I just finished Map 05 - My Heart May Fail from @Death Bear. Wow, what an epic level! It starts out extremely tough, but after I was able to figure out how to survive long enough to move ahead I loved it. The platforming jumps are really cool in this. The way the level is designed with the hell style theme and rockiness is really well done. I enjoyed the exploration, traps, and figuring out various areas. One of the best maps I have ever played and I don't say that lightly.

1 hour ago, TheGreenZap said:

I'm slowly working my way through this and I just finished Map 05 - My Heart May Fail from @Death Bear. Wow, what an epic level! It starts out extremely tough, but after I was able to figure out how to survive long enough to move ahead I loved it. The platforming jumps are really cool in this. The way the level is designed with the hell style theme and rockiness is really well done. I enjoyed the exploration, traps, and figuring out various areas. One of the best maps I have ever played and I don't say that lightly.

Holy crap! Wow! Thank you! I'm humbled. I put A LOT into this map, so I'm glad it shows! 

Speaking of Death Bears map, the small room with the square pit west of the starting cavern has some inconsistent collision detection when you're walking through the bottom of said pit on PrBoom+. There's just brief periods of time where I can't move forward. Awesome otherwise though. Honestly, I was thinking more of the blood/lava would be damaging, but then, why would you enter the one pit near the red key containing lots of health?

7 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Speaking of Death Bears map, the small room with the square pit west of the starting cavern has some inconsistent collision detection when you're walking through the bottom of said pit on PrBoom+. There's just brief periods of time where I can't move forward. Awesome otherwise though. Honestly, I was thinking more of the blood/lava would be damaging, but then, why would you enter the one pit near the red key containing lots of health?

That’s weird. I’ll look into it.

Granted, the lava was meant to be damaging and the blood was not. I got called out in Rocket Tears 2 (3x3: Take Two) for making all blood except aesthetic puddles damaging, because it was inconsistent. With all of the blood in the halls, I made the call to not make the blood damaging. Also, some of the encounter in the blood/ red key area was meant to attempt to derail the player from platforming/ punish them for not reacting quickly enough. (Maybe also meant to be a subversion of expectation.) I felt like putting in the chaingunners and making the floor damaging was too trollish, but maybe I missed an opportunity there. Whether I dropped the ball on all of that I guess is up to interpretation. 

Thanks for playing, and for the feedback!

Congrats on the release. Did a coop session on this today. A few coop blocking instances in some of the maps, if you want to look into that (basically any area that blocks the player upon death). I suppose multiplayer testing would root out a bit of this. 

My main gripe would be the death exits. I blame mr. Alm for partly introducing this in Scythe - it really takes the joy out of continuous play in my opinion. Worrying that carry over ammo and weapons will somehow diminish the fun in Doom maps is a misconception that needs to explode on a stack of barrels.

Weapons and ammo carried from the previous maps should feel like a reward, especially after harsh survival. You can always warp to maps if you want pistol starts. One expect continuous play in episodes, not a forced reset, darn it.

Edited by Andy Johnsen

Really enjoyed playing this set of maps overall; several real gems here. Some of the best-looking maps/setpieces are, ironically, the places where things seem to diverge somewhat from strict E4 inspiration into more general gothic hell, in the vein of what I noted in my reaction to the preview screenshots.  However, the final two maps definitely give the best of both worlds, as they're both exquisitely done and feel like they hew very close to what you'd expect from an E4 equipped with OTEX and modern aesthetic sensibilities.  Well done.

On 6/30/2021 at 12:49 PM, Andy Johnsen said:

Congrats on the release. Did a coop session on this today. A few coop blocking instances in some of the maps, if you want to look into that (basically any area that blocks the player upon death). I suppose multiplayer testing would root out a bit of this. 

My main gripe would be the death exits. I blame mr. Alm for partly introducing this in Scythe - it really takes the joy out of continuous play in my opinion. Worrying that carry over ammo and weapons will somehow diminish the fun in Doom maps is a misconception that needs to explode on a stack of barrels.

Weapons and ammo carried from the previous maps should feel like a reward, especially after harsh survival. You can always warp to maps if you want pistol starts. One expect continuous play in episodes, not a forced reset, darn it.

I think some people would just pitch a fit if maps weren't balanced for pistol start?  WMC01 had enforced pistol start too, but without the death exit.

I agree though. DBP doesn't force pistol start at the beginning of every map, so it's not exactly that hard.

Edited by LadyMistDragon

New update!

This version fixes some bugs that have been reported. Hopefully, no more bugs shall arise! Let's hope...  :P

Just to help out with fixes, there are some texture alignments that need to be adjusted on Map09.

As soon as you walk out of the building at start, turn around and you will see them above the Imps that are behind bars. The green marble.

This was a lot of fun! I just played some other E4 wads and followed up with this one, actually not realizing it was Doom 2 until I jumped in but that was a nice change of pace to get the full monster roster back in. The new textures and E4 styled areas were gorgeous and quite awesome. I played on HMP since I've been beaten down by other tougher wads lately haha. So my only nitpick is that the difficulty flow of the map placement did seem weird when I got to M8-M10, those were so easy for me they were kind over in a blink. But maybe I was just on a roll, they were still fun.

I liked how M2 and M4 felt a bit Plutonia-esque to me, but with an actual detailed aesthetic haha. M5 and M7 seemed like the big adventure maps and were great. I hate to say I gave up on M6 after the red key and the actually fun Spider Mastermind fight, but I seriously couldn't figure out what to do next.

I think M12 was my favorite, I like that jam packed intense style while never going full slaughter. M13 was really good too though. Excellent across the board.

Were the exit deaths supposed to take me to the intermission though? That never worked, so I just had to idclev to the next maps. Oh well.

Was this a missing texture in M2? Playing on GZDoom (4.5)

Spoiler

xO4xJXU.jpg

Edited by Xeogred

@Xeogred Thanks a lot for the comments! Glad you had fun.

Were the exit deaths supposed to take me to the intermission though? That never worked, so I just had to idclev to the next maps. Oh well.

Well yes. They should work as regular death exits (using the Romero Head) maybe you pressed E or FIRE1 too fast? I just tested and it works for me, also GZDoom 4.5.0

34 minutes ago, Xeogred said:

I think M12 was my favorite, I like that jam packed intense style while never going full slaughter.

Aww thank you ^_^  Yeah it was meant to be intense and action packed.

47 minutes ago, Xeogred said:

Was this a missing texture in M2?

You mean floor? Nope, it's intentional. If you take a look at geometry you will understand why the sky texture on the floor :)

22 minutes ago, 4MaTC said:

You mean floor? Nope, it's intentional. If you take a look at geometry you will understand why the sky texture on the floor :)

Now I see it haha... that first room is really stunning and gave me some good Plutonia 2 vibes. The whole map was excellent.

Endless: Hmm, I think I tried testing the exits a few times but always died and threw me back to an old save. I do have a habit of firing when I run over exit panels though lol... but yeah I'm not sure. At some point I think I purposely saved right before an exit to keep testing it. Not a huge deal either way I guess.

Remilia: I think the wiki is incorrectly crediting you for map 13? https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Alexa_Jones-Gonzales_(Remilia_Scarlet)

While I didn't finish M6, I still loved the atmosphere and the visuals were amazing. That cathedral area seriously looked like where you fight Pontiff Sulyvahn in Dark Souls 3.

I will have to revisit this on UV sometime for sure. I'll have to hit up WMC01 too though!

Yeah the wiki has the wrong map #'s for me as well. That would be due to the map spots changing multiple times. haha.

Also shout out to Death Bear's exit room, that was a jaw dropper moment of appreciation for me!

Spoiler

rvDHZbD.jpg