Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evil_scientist

What are your most used and least used standard textures?

Okay, so here's a question. What are textures from the standard Doom 1/2 IWAD that you tend to use a lot, and which textures get less love? I've noticed that if I'm just "mapping away", I tend to default to a couple of textures, while ignoring others. Of course, when I notice this, I try to remedy it by making an effort to include more textures.

For example, I use COMPTALL a lot, but almost never do the "consoles" (CONS1_1 etc.).

I use the CEMENT series very rarely. I don't like that there is a break in the yellow-black bottom stripe; and the greenish-white base color just doesn't feel "Doom" to me... Although there is lots of variation and details in these textures. 

To be honest there are very few textures I disregard outright - they are all useful to me depending on the type of map I want to make. That said, I will use a lot of SUPPORT textures regardless of map type due to its role as a transition texture.

56 minutes ago, RDETalus said:

I always use FIREBLU, but only because I use it to mark out control sectors and teleport closets

Turns out, you can buy a FIREBLU dress:

image.png.ff958248d9ff22a8b2f03b08c6d24860.png

Episode 1 tech bases, Episode 4 Gothic maps, Plutonia brick and camo textures (think A_BROWNBRICK. I think that's the name), and later Doom 2 maps like The Living End and The Chasm are my weakness when it comes to aestethics. So the computer textures, spartan and brown and green wall textures, marble brick and METAL textures, camo and brown textures (as in the actual A_BROWN texture lol, real creative name), and slimefalls, lava, rock, and pipe textures. The Chasm and the Living End are my favorite Doom 2 levels, so I should really make a wad with them as an inspiration.

As for textures I don't use: I have never even attempted to make a city map. Cool textures, just don't know how to use them well. Although Map 29 Odyssey of Noises looks pretty good.

2 minutes ago, evil_scientist said:

Turns out, you can buy a FIREBLU dress:

image.png.ff958248d9ff22a8b2f03b08c6d24860.png

I'm going to try to get my wife to wear one and not tell her what it is

faves: support2, sp_rock, ickwall, sfall, dbrain, graydang is my fave funny texture
least fave: all the starbase textures tbh

currently making a doom 2 map that uses every texture and every flat though :3

DOORTRAK

Hehe, that's may be not my most used, but utility textures like DOORTRAK, COMPSPAN, SUPPORT2-3, MIDSPACE are often a must use for me in every map, unless I get a texture pack.

Least used is, well, I suppose the objective answer would be AASTINKY or AASHITTY because these are just placeholder textures that aren't meant to be used.

Favorites:   BSTONE2, SUPPORT2/3, GRAY1, COMPWERD, COMPSPAN, and GSTONE1 to name a few

Least favorite: STARTANx

Well, besides the Wolfenstein textures I think it's a tie between these 3. I don't think I've ever used them in an official release:

WOODVERT

WOODVERT.png.3c20cbee4c0be5808ac265eb9ae8140b.png

TANROCK8

TANROCK8.png.1874bc3ebd9811e98ddcdd522eaf55d0.png

ASHWALL7

ASHWALL7.png.fb4844d8e249684e4485101163336a2f.png

My least used is probably the shawn textures, just generally ugly and don't fit the rest of the textures, looks awkward tiled vertically.

Only recently did I start using the icon of sin textures in normal maps. They are nicely detailed and make great industrial/tech looks.

The CEMENT textures are easily the ugliest of the iwads, imo.

This HD version looks way nicer than the real versions, but at least people will know the set I'm talking about:

OgrVuw8.jpg

Most used are probably the rusty metal and various brown bricks..

Metal

Support3

Bigdoor2,3 and 4

Brick5,6,7,8,9

Least used. Most likely the Wolf ones for sure.

Ashwall6 is too, ......sparkly lookin to me.

Sp_face1 I've used sparingly.

probably the only textures I tend to avoid all together are the Wolfenstein textures and ZIMMER8, because the garish white barely works with anything, even the CEMENT textures can barely sit next to it without looking out of place.

Most used: Doortrak, Metal*, Supports, Lite*, Comp****

Least used: Cement, Wolf3D ones, flesh ones, and i think i never used SKINFACE in my life

5 hours ago, RDETalus said:

I'm going to try to get my wife to wear one and not tell her what it is

My wife said she would wear one, and I quote: "It's a really pretty pattern." 

I really really like the 'METAL' series. I tend to use those quite a lot. Extremely versatile textures, especially the one just called 'METAL'.

The textures I barely ever use are: BIGBRIK4, EXITSTON, ZIMMER5, STARBR2, BRICK11, MODWALL3/4, SK_LEFT/RIGHT, TANROCK8, WOOD10, and the ZZZFACE series.

Although, after this thread, I may start using the ZZZFACE textures - I can think of some decent uses for them now. They'd be good in a 'red techbase' type level, or a hellish techbase, or something.

Like @Arrowhead said, the 'METAL' series is extremely versatile, and I tend to use them a lot.  I also use BIGBRIK, especially BIGBRIK2, in nearly all of my maps.  The SUPPORT and DOORSTOP textures I commonly use as dividers between texture changes, or for framing alcoves/details.  COMPTALL shows up a fair bit in my maps, as does GSTONE.  And STEP5 is by far my most commonly used step texture.  The BROWN series gets used a lot, too.

I don't think I've ever used ROCK4, TANROCK8, or half the ZIMMER series in any of my maps.  The MODWALL and SKINMET series are also ones I rarely use.