Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XBOX UNIDOS

This game is fun but kinda frustrating

Not just because you reset the level when you die but playing in controller sometimes I just don't have the accuracy and I get lost in the map all the time because everything is so equal, do you have any tips for me in order to have fun and keep the stress out? 

6 minutes ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

Not just because you reset the level when you die

Use saved games. With that username I imagine you're running the Xbox port, so you even have quick saves/loads.

6 minutes ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

and I get lost in the map all the time because everything is so equal

Use the automap.

4 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Use saved games. With that username I imagine you're running the Xbox port, so you even have quick saves/loads.

Use the automap.

to be fair even with the auto map the game is till very confusing for new players

4 hours ago, XBOX UNIDOS said:

Not just because you reset the level when you die but playing in controller sometimes I just don't have the accuracy and I get lost in the map all the time because everything is so equal, do you have any tips for me in order to have fun and keep the stress out? 

if you get lost for too long on a map  look up a gameplay video of that map on youtube so you can know where to go next for the frustrating part i recommend you to save often on levels so when you die you dont lose weapons and progress on the level

I used to have the same problem when I was new at Doom. It's not only that, I was also afraid of Barons and Cyberdemons, I was keeping getting my ass kicked by them because I was very paniced whenever I had to face them. Btw, if you don't want to restart the whole thing with a pistol, just use saves. It's common for a new Doom gamer getting lost in maps, but with enough practise, you'll be able to memorize the map and even get good at the game

The are detailed maps of the Doom and Doom2 levels online, if you need navigation help.

does the unity port have crosshairs at all? i know i used to use those when i was first starting out

Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of nonlinear classic fps games! Keep your wits about you by utilizing your automap, pay attention to landmarks, keep track of colored keycards (skull keys too!) and which doors they go to, use smaller firearms to take down fodder, use bigger boom booms to take out the big baddies (use the explosive barrels when possible), keep in mind enemies can infight, when engaging the enemies keep moving around (strafing, zig zagging). Most importantly have fun and don't get stressed out, it's just a video game lol.

10 minutes ago, PSXDoomer said:

Welcome to the strange and wonderful world of nonlinear classic fps games! Keep your wits about you by utilizing your automap, pay attention to landmarks, keep track of colored keycards (skull keys too!) and which doors they go to, use smaller firearms to take down fodder, use bigger boom booms to take out the big baddies (use the explosive barrels when possible), keep in mind enemies can infight, when engaging the enemies keep moving around (strafing, zig zagging). Most importantly have fun and don't get stressed out, it's just a video game lol.

^^ pretty much everything they said ^^

3 hours ago, roadworx said:

does the unity port have crosshairs at all? i know i used to use those when i was first starting out

Yes, which even highlights if the autoaim is tracking a target.

19 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Yes, which even highlights if the autoaim is tracking a target.

it even highlights specters with is really usefull for wads that like to place specters on the dark like tnt

On 6/26/2021 at 10:26 PM, Edward850 said:

Yes [there is a crosshair], which even highlights if the autoaim is tracking a target.

I found that bothered me when I played through The Ultimate Doom on Xbox One - it made sense to me to turn the crosshair off, as then I didn't spend so much time wondering why it wasn't aiming where I thought it should be. It feels a little more intuitive when you can't see what it's up to - it also makes full-auto weapons more rewarding to use at the expense of the shotgun feeling less accurate.

As for the OP - I've found playing for 28 years or so has helped a lot with stuff like navigating. Just take your time and get used to it - the maps aren't particularly big or confusing, and the automap (press "Y" on Xbox One to toggle it) helps orient yourself and see where you've already been.