Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Grand Theft Auto 1 is now freeware!

No, WAIT. Put down that Hammer Of Much Banning, this isn't warez. Quite the contrary in fact. Rather, Rockstar Games have uploaded a Direct-X Windows version of the original GTA for free download. Just check out rockstargames.com/classics or Fileplanet, but good luck downloading, the thing has been BluesNewsed, ShackNewsed and Slashdotted all at once. I'm suprised it hasn't been FARKed too... but regardless, get d/ling, I have it, and it rocks (Even though the download is HUGE)

I copy and confirm this fact.

Incidently, the PC version of Vice City is due out just before my birthday. Can I get a w00t!!!

I'm amazed this wasn't posted earlier, personally.

Anyways, looking through the Rockstar Games site, I also found a link to a free download of the London 1969 missionpack, but from the looks of things, you still need the London 1969 missionpack CD. Damn! Oh well, there's something else to hope Rockstar releases in it's Classics range of freeware titles...

Damn, 328 megs?!? I was going to download, but there's no way I'm gonna now :(

DooMBoy said:

Damn, 328 megs?!? I was going to download, but there's no way I'm gonna now :(

Pfft, you'd be lucky to even FIND a decent download link. I've been waiting about an hour for my Fileplanet download to start :(

A friend of mine made a really neat mod for GTA, converting all the vehicles to starwars craft (tie fighters, x-wings, etc). I'll see if I can dig out the URL....

It's ironic - I'm actually downloading legit stuff on a filesharing app because of the crappy download links.

Just downloaded it, eventually. Seems a bit jerky.

how can such a SHITTY looking game be 328 megs. ive seen better looking ones less than 100. i.e., doom :)
but ive never played GTA so i wouldnt know what its like

Goat said:

how can such a SHITTY looking game be 328 megs. ive seen better looking ones less than 100. i.e., doom :)
but ive never played GTA so i wouldnt know what its like

You got a point there, was wondering about it too

GTA1 - top down tile based

Doom - pseudo 3D

GTA1's graphics are good for what they're supposed to be used for IMO

EDIT: I'm pretty sure you'll find that most of that 328mb is music and movies (the actual game takes up something like 70mb on my HD IIRC)

If the game's jerky for you, press F8 to turn off the FPS-limiter. If the game then runs too fast, press F11 and crank up the resolution.

Trasher][ said:
If the game's jerky for you, press F8 to turn off the FPS-limiter. If the game then runs too fast, press F11 and crank up the resolution.

Which is one of the most fucked up, retarded ways you can do timing in a game. I love GTA1 as a game and have wasted countless hours on it, but the tech certainly isn't very impressive.

Yeah, just that occasionally the frame-rate limiter gets a bit messy (paticuarly on XP) which results in "jumpy" gameplay.

Yeesh, the damn game is nearly unplayable for me. I actually got it downloaded the first time I tried to, at 250KB/s (no complaint there, using some link from the /. thread). The frame rate seems to be capped at 30fps or even lower, and if you disable the frame cap the game runs so inconsistently that driving any car is totally nauseating. Either way, it's extremely uncomfortable to play it. I was really looking forward to playing this game again too... I don't remember the old demo having this problem.

The old game was capped at 30fps too. I know it's not Rockstar Games' duty to go and re-code their old games, but it would have been nice to see GTA1 with proper hardware acceleration and a timing system that makes a little sense.

if they changed the timing system they'd probably have to go back and rewrite the entire networking code also, because its probably a "lockstep" style networking setup..

gta1 seems like a very, very badly programmed game. still fun tho..

Heh...I ended up warezing it on Kazaa (I had to download Kazaa to do it to because eMule died on me). Anyway, its a cool game but its about 5x harder than GTA3. Since I have that, I think I'll just play it instead. Heh.