Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomsday

Is there any reason not to always run?

I was thinking about this because there doesn't seem to be any upside in combat. All I can think of is walking on small paths like in the Chasm.

i know some people that get motion sick when playing with always run and on some console ports always run makes your aiming too fast so i guess these are the reasons some might not like it other then that theres no advantage to not running

Hmm, I just realized that I play games in the Build Engine with Always Run on but the ones in ID Tech 1 engine I always play without. I like holding down the button for DOOM because although it is fast-paced, sometimes you have to be methodical with your attacks, rather than just RIP N TEAR like with Build Engine games. I understand why you would always have it on, though. 

I always see people playing and running all the time.

Most walthroughts on youtube are made this way.

And they miss lot of things just because they are running like headless chickens.

Things that could be seen without problem if one doesn't play doom like a power fantasy.

Then, like the example above, they blame the author for making secrets not reacheables, just because they play with always run.

So, as simple as it may sound, if the developers thought there would be a use for the run button, they also thought of a use to not running.

You are free to play as you like.

But walking and running is on the core of the Dooming action.
Not only shoot.

There are a few mapsets I've played that have more narrow spaces and confined areas to explore, or somewhat realistically designed layouts that I like to disable autorun for. I imagine most mappers design levels with autorun in mind, so it makes the most sense to keep it turned on or bind run to a very comfortable key. Most ports are nice enough to have the run key turn into a walk key if autorun is on for when I want to stop and smell the roses.

In vanilla Doom, there are a few places that can catch and snag you with autorun on, but it's a small toll for the constant feeling of speed.

The chasm will kill you if you aren't good enough at controlling run speed. Well you already listed it though.. Everywhere else doesn't really matter that much in Iwads. 

I find that I'm "safer" from random elastic collisions if I set "always run" off while walking on very thin ledges with sharp corners or curves. 

The last time, and possibly the only time I turned it off on purpose for a monster fight in a while was for a SMM in some Mass Extinction map, because the pillars provided as cover were of approx 8 pixels wide and it wasn't easy to break line of sight permanently at "run" speed.

Oh, let me tell you. Controlling your speed can enhance your experience. I always use my left shift to run, so that I can quickly switch to walking by letting it go.

I used to always run as well years years ago but I found out that the more I control my speed, the more I can control the movement & battlefield in general.

Run it's like walking but more cool.

But i hold shift to walk when avoiding projectiles, tigth corridors and traps

In DM there are some instances where switching between walking and running is useful from a tactical standpoint, but in SP it seems walking is usually reserved for platforming moments or when slower mouse control is needed for certain movements.

It's hard to put into words what I'm talking about with DM, but basically it can be useful to have the slightly slower mouse control that walk mode gives you, even if it's for a split second or two, and the reduced speed can throw other players off, especially when things are very close combat in nature.

I tend to play SP this way too now anyhow, but used to always use autorun until I started playing DM a lot more. Now, I usually bind mouse 2 as the walk/run key.

-Holding the run button adds a tactile element on a controller.

-More precision when walking on ledges/dodging projectiles.

-Walking instead of mething out all the time lets you soak in the atmosphere and helps maps feel more immersive.

-Maps last longer when Doomguy saves his crack pipe for when he really needs it.

-Motion sickness

Hmmm. Basically, it takes longer to finish a map without autorun. So if the map is enjoyable, autorun shortens the fun.
If the map is boring it shortens the pain. So the answer is the ubiquitous "It depends...."

2 hours ago, Chip said:

Hmm, I just realized that I play games in the Build Engine with Always Run on but the ones in ID Tech 1 engine I always play without. I like holding down the button for DOOM because although it is fast-paced, sometimes you have to be methodical with your attacks, rather than just RIP N TEAR like with Build Engine games. I understand why you would always have it on, though. 

I always felt like the Build Engine characters never ran as fast as Doom Guy unless they were stafe running but the Build Engine characters always seemed to be better at platforming for sure.

i switch between always running and not depending on the situation.  Some wads clearly favour it being always on, some seem to demand it being on all the time (modern gameplay..) and at least my performance on others suffers from it.  Am not good at holding down shift all the time as my accuracy suffers, so if i'm playing on doom.exe it's def only for certain situations when it's demanded.  i'm not one to rush through levels at any case.

I dislike always run. It goes again the muscle memory encoded into me from playing FPS games for 30 years. To me it makes more sense to take an action to run than an action not to run. It makes me feel more in control particularly in movements that require a finer touch.

It's difficult to justify slow walking in Doom beyond playing levels like the chasm. In modern games often running and gunning sacrifices your aim, while walking can enable some dodging and taking cover with fairly good accuracy.

As @TheMagicMushroomMan said, it's good for soaking in atmosphere.

Also I reckon when used right it can help players peep around corners to scout the room with minimal monster alertness as oppose to players running in and have to identify the arena and enemies in the middle of combat.

It can be useful in certain maps where to get a secret or some other critical movement, you must move slowly, lest you either overshoot or hit against some object or another. It certainly goes against the modern spirit of Doom, but looking back, some maps expect you to drink them in fully.

Always running just turns the run button into the "don't run" button, which I can press during those rare moments where going slow is beneficial. As for soaking in the atmosphere, which I do sometimes enjoy.. Just tap the "run forward" button gently with large pauses in between.. :) no need to sacrifice my ability to SR50 away from some pop-up revenant that appears as I'm walking down some particularly atmospheric hall!

7 hours ago, vdgg said:

There's this soulsphere in Obituary, MAP08, that can be easily reached by walking. If you run, you hit your head against the wall. Of course, if you have "always run" on, you still can make it, by tapping the forward button.

doom872.jpg

?????

do you people not have walk bound to shift?

now that i see people saying about the atmosphere it makes a whole lot of sense why doom 3 decided to give the player a stamina bar

i still think its annoying but well i guess it does help with the atmosphere

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

?????

do you people not have walk bound to shift?

Doesn't work in DOS ports or Chocolate Doom tho.

Holy crap, you’re right! I never knew. Makes sense though, given that always run was one of those famous glitches-turned-feature

If you want to go slowly into thin edges like Chasm so you don't fall, this is where the no always running is a perfect choice

I just hold shift when I want to run, so I rarely enable always run. Besides, I like to soak in the atmosphere and aesthetics sometimes.

I have a wide variety of tastes though, so it's not unknown for me to jump into something like a slaughter map. If I'm playing a Wad that's more chaotic and fast paced then I will enable it. I played Doom for years back in the day without it so it's more of a muscle memory thing. 

I'm not at all strict about it, I just don't use it very often. 

In combat, no. Even aiming is more precise when holding down the run key for whatever reason (compared to aiming without holding it). But for general navigation, being able to walk on demand is indispensable. I have auto-run off as I rest a couple of my fingers on Shift, so I always run most of the time but can lift them whenever I need to walk.