Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

2 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

doom00.png

doom01.png

doom02.png

doom03.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210526_030539.png

The texture usage is nice, however this does appear to be a little on the boxy side. Now until the map is posted it may just be where these pictures were taken, but I would encourage a little variety in terms of map geometry.

@C3ntralPr0cessing I echo the thoughts above, that looks pretty darn intimidating, which is good.

8 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

@Joshy Is map 32 taken? I might have some good ideas for it.

btw why is there an asterisk on my map? I'm pretty sure the map is finished so.

Map32 isn't taken, so have a go! :)

5 hours ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

Not quite finished, but I'm still working on my submission. The visuals have gone... slightly off the rails, so I could understand if the map would be considered "not plutonic" and rejected. I tried to make the combat very plutonia-like tho, just wanted to know if I can keep working on it as a submission for the cp.

Screenshot_Doom_20210526_192909.png.63304b573674dd1a25ac707d4fa73b7f.png

Yes this looks fine! Echoing Bridgeburner56's comment, go ahead and keep working on it!

6 hours ago, VanaheimRanger said:

pics

I agree with cannonball's comments on the pictures, the structure and layout looks very simplistic and could do with more height/floor variations, more openness and space, and more layout interweaving as opposed to room connects to rooms.

5 hours ago, cannonball said:

The texture usage is nice, however this does appear to be a little on the boxy side. Now until the map is posted it may just be where these pictures were taken, but I would encourage a little variety in terms of map geometry.

1 hour ago, Joshy said:

I agree with cannonball's comments on the pictures, the structure and layout looks very simplistic and could do with more height/floor variations, more openness and space, and more layout interweaving as opposed to room connects to rooms.

Thanks for the tips, this is just the starting area so far, I'm still formulating what is going to be in the underground section which will be the majority of the map.  Will post more when I have more.

I think my map is ready for some playtesting. The final part has become a bit of a light slaughterfest on UV, but considering that the map's now officially an homage to Odessey of Noises, I think that's okay. (still got it under 200 monsters!) Please tell me if I should change smth, turn the difficulty up or down, or just give up and so on. You'll find my map slotted in MAP29: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1em-4bBEyNBfxNapGxuSRNC7vxtZLHT29/view?usp=sharing

Screeny:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210528_164314.png.4fd0549a64152ef3dc8d34c520246974.png

On 5/26/2021 at 7:21 PM, Joshy said:

Map32 isn't taken, so have a go! :)

I was actually gonna plan on making a map32 for it hahaha but if someone else wants to claim it that's fine with me. I can still make my own map32 for this project and submit it and see which one makes it in to the final project.

12 hours ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

I think my map is ready for some playtesting. The final part has become a bit of a light slaughterfest on UV, but considering that the map's now officially an homage to Odessey of Noises, I think that's okay. (still got it under 200 monsters!) Please tell me if I should change smth, turn the difficulty up or down, or just give up and so on. You'll find my map slotted in MAP29: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1em-4bBEyNBfxNapGxuSRNC7vxtZLHT29/view?usp=sharing

Screeny:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210528_164314.png.4fd0549a64152ef3dc8d34c520246974.png

I think this is a good start! The map feels just slightly unbalanced at the moment. It may need a little bit more health (maybe 4x medikits?) and armor (another green armor somewhere else) at least in the early-mid part of the map. Easy to get damage and it can end up being 'get hit once and die' which isn't too fun when the gameplay is hectic.

Also, the final battle in the lava, the rad suits and the ammo shouldn't be clumped together. Cells and rockets run out quickly and you can easily pick up the rad suit while attempting to pick up the ammo, which isn't good. Also it can be hard to pick up the ammunition if they're placed next to the wall, the player can jump over them easily. You have to slowly walk through to pick them up which isn't convenient considering the hectic final battle. I hope this makes sense?

11 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

I was actually gonna plan on making a map32 for it hahaha but if someone else wants to claim it that's fine with me. I can still make my own map32 for this project and submit it and see which one makes it in to the final project.

Absolutely right, give it a go, the map might make it in, never know!

12 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

oh crap

5 hours ago, Joshy said:

I think this is a good start! The map feels just slightly unbalanced at the moment. It may need a little bit more health (maybe 4x medikits?) and armor (another green armor somewhere else) at least in the early-mid part of the map. Easy to get damage and it can end up being 'get hit once and die' which isn't too fun when the gameplay is hectic.

Also, the final battle in the lava, the rad suits and the ammo shouldn't be clumped together. Cells and rockets run out quickly and you can easily pick up the rad suit while attempting to pick up the ammo, which isn't good. Also it can be hard to pick up the ammunition if they're placed next to the wall, the player can jump over them easily. You have to slowly walk through to pick them up which isn't convenient considering the hectic final battle. I hope this makes sense?

Absolutely right, give it a go, the map might make it in, never know!

Thanks for the feedback, got it!

Okay, more health, bigger platforms, radsuits sectioned off from the rest:

no longer relevant, check out my new post

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing

On 5/29/2021 at 12:08 AM, Nefelibeta said:

oh crap

You can still make one. We can both try to submit our map32 here and we'll see what @Joshy decides which one goes to the final project.

1 hour ago, Lingyan203 said:

You can still make one. We can both try to submit our map32 here and we'll see what @Joshy decides which one goes to the final project.

Both could still make it in, can always be placed as a E3 map or Map31.

Right, so I've been fiddling around with various prototype designs, and I've run into a bit of a conundrum: the aesthetic and mood I have in mind for my submission clash with the gameplay I've so far observed in this set. All of the submissions I've played have been generally fairly short and gameplay focused, appropriate for a Plutonic set.

The difficulty I am facing stems from the fact that the visual style of the map really needs time and space to breathe in order to have the desired effect, but the resulting pace would most likely clash with the rest of the set. As I see it, this leaves me three options:

1) make a short, punchy map that uses the 'demonic asylum' aesthetic purely as set-dressing, with combat being the sole focus of the layout. The advantage of this approach is that I will be able to complete the map in a relatively short period (a week or two at most), at the cost of originality and untapped potential.

2) make a larger, slower paced map designed to compliment the aesthetic with an oppressive, alien layout and tight, encounter-based combat. The advantage of such a map would be its originality, since I don't believe there is such a level in any existing Plutonic set. The downsides are the fact that the map wouldn't be terribly 'Plutonic', and that it could weeks or months to finish.

3) make a shorter map using a different, less demanding aesthetic. This option side-steps all of the above issues, but would require me to flesh out one of my less-developed aesthetic prototypes, which means the map likely wouldn't be as memorable as either of the above.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I overthinking it?

2 hours ago, Omniarch said:

Right, so I've been fiddling around with various prototype designs, and I've run into a bit of a conundrum: the aesthetic and mood I have in mind for my submission clash with the gameplay I've so far observed in this set. All of the submissions I've played have been generally fairly short and gameplay focused, appropriate for a Plutonic set.

The difficulty I am facing stems from the fact that the visual style of the map really needs time and space to breathe in order to have the desired effect, but the resulting pace would most likely clash with the rest of the set. As I see it, this leaves me three options:

1) make a short, punchy map that uses the 'demonic asylum' aesthetic purely as set-dressing, with combat being the sole focus of the layout. The advantage of this approach is that I will be able to complete the map in a relatively short period (a week or two at most), at the cost of originality and untapped potential.

2) make a larger, slower paced map designed to compliment the aesthetic with an oppressive, alien layout and tight, encounter-based combat. The advantage of such a map would be its originality, since I don't believe there is such a level in any existing Plutonic set. The downsides are the fact that the map wouldn't be terribly 'Plutonic', and that it could weeks or months to finish.

3) make a shorter map using a different, less demanding aesthetic. This option side-steps all of the above issues, but would require me to flesh out one of my less-developed aesthetic prototypes, which means the map likely wouldn't be as memorable as either of the above.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I overthinking it?

I think Nr. 1 sounds best. Just because you're making a short map this time doesn't mean you can't elaborate on the concept later, right?

@OmniarchI would suggest continuing with what you have planned and stick with it. I think creating something you are happy with, but potentially will get used elsewhere is better than sacrificing the main thrust of the map to adhere to a set of rules. After all you can always try again.

The most important caveat here is that only you know what you are making and I don’t think I could make a choice without seeing the map in its current state. For example you can have small but quite lengthy maps and also larger ones that are quick to finish.

10 hours ago, cannonball said:

@OmniarchI would suggest continuing with what you have planned and stick with it. I think creating something you are happy with, but potentially will get used elsewhere is better than sacrificing the main thrust of the map to adhere to a set of rules. After all you can always try again.

The most important caveat here is that only you know what you are making and I don’t think I could make a choice without seeing the map in its current state. For example you can have small but quite lengthy maps and also larger ones that are quick to finish.

I second this. This isn't a strict community project, at least not as strict as Plutonia 3, so make however you want your map to turn out. It just needs to have some elements of Plutonia, whether in spirit, gameplay, aesthetics, or intentions. Good luck!

8 hours ago, C3ntralPr0cessing said:

Jeez, guess who just found out they put the completely wrong credits in their map.
Well, here's the corrected version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u2Y990oFeufTkMFPcPr9hlyVnoONu9YS/view?usp=sharing
Also I see, my map still doesn't seem to be mentioned in the original post. Do I still need to change stuff about my map?

Sorry, forgot to update the OP, done. Nothing else needs changing in your map for now :)

I'll play through the maps others have posted and will get back soon with feedback.

When I think of Plutonia I think of chaingunner shenanigans, but by the time I was finished with this map I ended up nerfing them into oblivion. This map features branching paths, with heavy rocket launcher play. SSG not included, though I don't think it would break gameplay if the player had one. The coop starts are asymmetrical with 2 players spawning in a wing not accessible in single player. It should take about 9/10 minutes to complete if taking your time.

Scorched Sacellum

IWAD: PLUTONIA.WAD

Map: MAP01

MIDI: "Blood of the Unworthy" by Eris Falling

Coop: Yes

Deathmatch: No

Difficulty settings: Yes

Tested with prboom-plus, gzdoom

wydoomer-scorched_sacellum.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20210618_004350.png.886f5608c6ec0d8642240cad4f90070d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210618_004356.png.2ba17553a8854bf7e3bbfd1c7a0964f3.png

Edited by wydoomer

On 6/18/2021 at 3:18 PM, wydoomer said:

When I think of Plutonia I think of chaingunner shenanigans, but by the time I was finished with this map I ended up nerfing them into oblivion. This map features branching paths, with heavy rocket launcher play. SSG not included, though I don't think it would break gameplay if the player had one. The coop starts are asymmetrical with 2 players spawning in a wing not accessible in single player. It should take about 9/10 minutes to complete if taking your time.

Scorched Sacellum

IWAD: PLUTONIA.WAD

Map: MAP01

MIDI: "Blood of the Unworthy" by Eris Falling

Coop: Yes

Deathmatch: No

Difficulty settings: Yes

Tested with prboom-plus, gzdoom

wydoomer-scorched_sacellum.zip

Screenshots:

Hide contents

Screenshot_Doom_20210618_004350.png.886f5608c6ec0d8642240cad4f90070d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210618_004356.png.2ba17553a8854bf7e3bbfd1c7a0964f3.png

I played this map a few days ago, nice job! It's a cool map, looks and plays good. Feedback wise, the only thing I could think of was that there were a few brick texture misalignments here and there, but otherwise it's very solid!

On 6/26/2021 at 12:17 PM, Joshy said:

Is anyone game to have a go at making something for Map30?

If there is anybody want to take Map30 slot, please make it like the one in JPCP. I will be really grateful.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:17 AM, Joshy said:

Generally yes, but it'd be cool if I could make something that isn't an Icon of Sin.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:12 AM, Joshy said:

I played this map a few days ago, nice job! It's a cool map, looks and plays good. Feedback wise, the only thing I could think of was that there were a few brick texture misalignments here and there, but otherwise it's very solid!

Thanks, I'll go through and touch up texture alignment when I have a spare moment

I have heard that one of my maps for plutonia 3 would move to prcp2, so I was waiting the announce of this project. I see the forum for the project a few day ago. I had not stupidly notice it for a long time. 

What should I do? 

My map has been updated a few times with feedback from testers, including Joshy. I think that feedback is not enough and I'm going to brush up the map a bit more, though I can't get started right away. Would you like me to have the opportunity to get feedback from many testers? I feel that there is in short of testers. (not only this project but also Plutonia 3)

Okay here is my effort;

Name - Orestruck

Mapslot - Currently Map20

Midi - Valiant by AD_79

The map currently only has UV difficulty as this is a first draft. I must apologise as this got a little out of hand and has ended up a little on the large side and is probably on the high end of the difficulty scale. Probably more SOD than Plutonia so I won't mind if this is deemed as a little too much for this project.

orestruck.zip

Spoiler

orestruck1.png

orestruck2.png

orestruck3.png

Some subtle inspiration from the Abandoned mines from Doom 2 in terms of the central layout (The crossroad hub) and a couple of fights. This is probably the only thing in keeping with the plutonia theme.

Edited by cannonball

If it's not too late to have this map in this project somewhere, even as a MAP33:

This was a speedmap I made originally to shitpost in TimeOfDeath's Doomworld Mega Project 2021, but it actually turned out pretty good IMO. It wasn't even a Plutonia map in the first place, it just sorta became one while I was making it It uses Winwin.wad as a base, a prefab from /idgames.

Name: Golgotha

Music: "Sewer Slide" by stewboy

pr.png.f8abcc58b3c84a3a10c0780545b6f2e6.png

Short and punchy is my specialty, although this might be too hard for Plutonia. All the requirements like coop have been made. This map has been revised once before, without feedback:

• Turned most of the chaingunners away at the start to make the AVJ less annoying to pull off.
  • Changed some textures I wasn't happy with.
  • Only one vile in the finale; four seemed a bit excessive, no?

Download

On 6/26/2021 at 5:17 AM, Joshy said:

I can try