Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Update 6 Released - Taras Nabad ML, New BM map, campaign changes, and more

Update 6 is available to download on PC now. Features the Taras Nabad Master Level, a new Battlemode map, ray-tracing / DLSS support, and many other changes across the campaign and battlemode. It's about 4.2 GB for me. EDIT: Added Update 6 patch notes below.

Here's also a Xbox Series X trailer for Doom Eternal uploaded today featuring some of the next-gen upgrades: https://youtu.be/jeba1xmYGWY

---

Update 6 Patch Notes: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/1KfyxFsr3bsnLNW4LXa2f9/doom-eternal-next-gen-update-6-release-notes

Update 6 Trailer:

Some highlights:

- Taras Nabad Master Level

- Corrosion Battlemode map

- Next-gen, ray-tracing, and DLSS support

- New reflective Ballista skin (Raytracer) for all

- Ice Bombs freeze Doom Hunter bosses

- Balance changes for ITYTD and HMP (ex: Chainsaw kills restore 100% of ammo on ITTYD)

- Blood Maykr damage nerfs

- Reduced Plasma ammo needed for Spirits

- Reverted some UAC Atlantica Facility changes introduced in TAG2

- Several Trial of Maligog nerfs

- Extra pick-ups for Samur's boss fight

- Cursed Prowlers: unique sound effect, gain a Blood Punch if cursed

- Reduced Dark Lord healing

- "General quality of life improvements" for Demonic Troopers

- Stone Imps immune to Chaingun Energy Shield (I believe this was already implemented last Battlemode update)

- Battlemode jump pad cooldowns for some maps and increased portal cooldowns

- Several Battlemode balance changes for Slayer and Demons

- "Damage fall-off" for Battlemode Slayer long-range damage with Precision Bolt or Ballista

- Fixed Dread Knight multiplier damage bug

---

Battlemode Corrosion map:

DE.BM.Corrosion.Areas.960x588.png

---

Interestingly, the "Horde" branch on SteamDB for Doom Eternal is no longer there. The Battlemode 2 branch is still there, so not sure what it means.

---

Beat the Master Level on Nightmare, my thoughts:

Spoiler

Quite challenging and really fun. I enjoyed the little new touches like the environmental hazards like falling debris or patrolling laser beams from statues. Just like the SGN ML, there's a lot of fight in tight spaces and in areas you normally just walk through. Many of the fights are brutally insane and quite long. You'll often fight multiples of an enemy type, like a group of Spectre Whiplashes or a group of Cyber-Mancubi. There's a lot of memorable fights like the short encounter in the Slayer Gate room, the Marauder on a bridge, the Buff Totem room, the double Arch-Vile room, the sewers Buff Totem fight, etc. The final arena has fog but also teleports you to the various arenas earlier in the level, which I thought was a nice touch. I do find it interesting though that the final wave is "just" two Marauders - considering we fight two Marauders in a narrow goo hallway in the SGN ML and that wasn't even the final encounter. And while we get a brutal double Arch-Vile room, we don't get a triple Arch-Vile + 4 Tyrants like from the SGN ML as well. Perhaps they're just trying to go for a different level of intensity (as this map is still quite challenging) or maybe they don't want to push that hard like before (Hugo has mentioned in an interview that he found the SGN ML to be exhausting). I was hoping for a fight in the Divinity Machine room or the Throne Room, but unfortunately both remain unused. There's also still no Berserk pack to be seen. I also crashed randomly during gameplay, which sucked and I wish they'd have some sort of save state during Master Levels (and Mission Select as well). The hardest fights would probably be the Buff Totem room (I don't know if the Buff Totem was locked or just hidden in plain sight all along but I lost two Extra Lives here), the double Arch-Vile room (both Arch-Viles are hidden until you clear a number of enemies, this took the remaining three Extra Lives along with a few attempts after), and the first arena after where the Slayer Gate is (it is rather easy to get boxed in and lose your momentum). If you enjoy the more intense gameplay with a lot of enemies in small spaces, you'll probably enjoy this - especially if TAG2 was a bit lacking. I imagine this Master Level is going to be brutal on Classic Mode. Outside of maybe World Spear, I enjoyed this more than Reclaimed Earth and Immora - and about equally to the SGN ML. Not sure which ML I prefer more, though I do like SGN as a map. Overall, I would recommend it if you're looking for a challenge.

Ultra-Nightmare playthrough:

Spoiler

Edited by AtimZarr1 : Added Ultra-Nightmare playthrough

I'm ecstatic about the Spirit HP nerf. It makes the fact that they chose to give the worst level a Master variant before other, way better levels (namely Mars Core and Exultia) a little more bearable. 

What I'm not looking forward to is how intentionally troll-y and convoluted the fights are (going to be). I'm just now to the first big arena and I feel like I'm playing HR2.

Edit to add: The double archie fight before the Crucible arena makes me want id to stay very, very far away from a potential Quake reboot. They're so far up their own ass with these arenas.

Edited by Zirtonic

It is really fascinating how smoothly this runs even with RTX enabled. I think Nvidia managed to fix some crashes as well as I've managed to finally finish the replay that was crashing nonstop. Game looks a lot better now with the graphical updates, especially because we can finally use a better solution than whatever the crazy anti-aliasing that was on is.

I loved the new ML. That double archvile room is absolute evil. I would definitely suggest busting out some super weapons even if you are someone who likes to play without them. The beginning of the level seemed to be lower in intensity but I suspect that just like SGN ML, this is to account for classic mode, which I can't wait to play for this one.

I noticed some differences with the lock-on rocket mechanic too, which caused a death. Now you have to let go of the mod button to aqcuire a new target, when before, holding down the mod button would switch it to the next enemy you were aiming at. At least that's what it seemed. I've also had a higher than usual number of missfires of the meathook on enemies way behind who I was aiming at.

Just finished it on Nightmare. Took somewhere between two and two and a half hours. I might write down more detailed thoughts later, but right now all I have to say is holy fuck, that level is a masochism machine. 

Played through the whole Master Level on UV in about 1.5h, pretty damn awesome arenas. The double archvile room was the point where I lost all of my spare extra lives, got it on the second try but damn! In general though, pretty much all of the arenas were just at the right intensity, at least to me it felt like a sweet spot between masochistic challenge and exilarating fun. Can't wait to play it on nightmare and restart each fight 20 times.

15 hours ago, Zirtonic said:

Edit to add: The double archie fight before the Crucible arena makes me want id to stay very, very far away from a potential Quake reboot. They're so far up their own ass with these arenas.

I don't think you should take Master Levels as a reference for future Id projects: they have stated several times that MLs are specifically designed for the "black belts of the DOOM dance", as Hugo would put it. We shouldn't expect the same deviousness in the base game.

I almost liked Taras Nabad ML until two particular rooms. I started ML in classic mode on nightmare (just like super gore nest ML) and it was really good until circular room with crusible coin. I spent a hour in that room and 80% of my deaths was because i stucking either in columns or buffed prowler. After this room everything was pretty much ok until double archville room. That room just broke me. You get corned from every side with cyber mancubus, arachnotron, tyrants and my "favorite" addition to this room - shotgunners. And everyone is buffed. "Funniest" thing i missed bfg (i believe its in secret where you dropping into flooded sewers near end of the level), and if i got bfg i think i can somewhat easily clear that room, but without it i dont think its even possible. I've spend two hours in that room and just quit. This two arenas wasn't fun at all and its just spam of heavy enemies in small rooms. And if we comparing Super Gore Nest ML with Taras Nabad ML, SGN have rooms that gave me a good laught (like small circular room with Tyrant and Doom Hunter), Taras Nabad on other hand gave only frustration.

7 minutes ago, Frank Harper said:

I almost liked Taras Nabad ML until two particular rooms. I started ML in classic mode on nightmare (just like super gore nest ML) and it was really good until circular room with crusible coin. I spent a hour in that room and 80% of my deaths was because i stucking either in columns or buffed prowler. After this room everything was pretty much ok until double archville room. That room just broke me. You get corned from every side with cyber mancubus, arachnotron, tyrants and my "favorite" addition to this room - shotgunners. And everyone is buffed. "Funniest" thing i missed bfg (i believe its in secret where you dropping into flooded sewers near end of the level), and if i got bfg i think i can somewhat easily clear that room, but without it i dont think its even possible. I've spend two hours in that room and just quit. This two arenas wasn't fun at all and its just spam of heavy enemies in small rooms. And if we comparing Super Gore Nest ML with Taras Nabad ML, SGN have rooms that gave me a good laught (like small circular room with Tyrant and Doom Hunter), Taras Nabad on other hand gave only frustration.

Time to replace tyrants and mancubi in it with spirit tyrants and doom hunters to make it harder for BFG too :P.

7 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

all I have to say is holy fuck, that level is a masochism machine.

I'll second that! Intensely enjoyable with parts that were really frustratingly annoying like the tower with the Marauder lockdown and the crucible medallion room.

Unrelated to the Master Level, but there's a new Twitch Prime skin leaked with Update 6 - based on the Doom 2 Cover Marine. Color variations are grey (default), green (linked below), and silver. The idle animation features Doomguy carrying and petting Daisy. Finally, there's a Doom Comic-inspired title and icon, also linked below. This is the source video by HordeModeGaming, where I took the screenshots from.

Pretty cool to see more cosmetics inspired by references to the Doom legacy, like with the Retro Revenant skin or the Commander Keen set from a while back. Hopefully one day we get a Doom 3 marine skin...

That said, it's unfortunate this skin will apparently be locked behind Twitch Prime (according to the leaked description for the set). Most of the Twitch Prime skins thus far have been "joke" skins like the Doomicorn or Cosplay Slayer, but this would be the first "nostalgia" skin put there. There's also apparently a leaked "Lux Slayer" skin set for Twitch Prime from a few weeks ago but that still hasn't been officially announced or released yet, so who knows how long until we see these in the game.

1741491931_ClassicBox.png.090934a1c6c365f9acbd6e04f8c4da1b.png

1570697325_ClassicGreen.png.4e2503ca1e582893f8b6e0c83beeb54c.png

1138887463_ClassicTitleandIcon.png.811138d02a05cc16dface6843ff8c077.png

---

In-game screenshot from HordeModeGaming's Discord:

image.png.77a085548a745272d166b23dd56ffc3b.png

7 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I'll second that! Intensely enjoyable with parts that were really frustratingly annoying like the tower with the Marauder lockdown and the crucible medallion room.

Pretty much. I should clarify that I really enjoyed the experience overall. Probably the most intense modern Doom experience I've ever had. It was exhausting, and I nearly quit at that goddamn Crucible coin room, but I'm VERY glad I didn't, though I used two BFG shots there, which complicated things a bit later on. The double Arch-Vile room wasn't frustrating so much as it was just puzzling, because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do to lower the forcefields. Once I figured out that killing the two Tyrants exposes the Arch-Viles, everything else fell into place. The last checkpoint was a total bitch, because you had to start back in the first fight in the final room every time you died. By that point, I was so immersed in the game that I had basically stopped thinking and lost any concept of time. Level was complete and utter insanity, but I'm proud of myself for conpleting it.

That skin and the classic Revenant are the kind of stuff that could have been in the base game for being about Doom alone.

I wonder if his back has a giant circle, like in the box art.

The podium also references the skull computer switch but instead it's metallic instead of being made of bone.

Not bad, overall.

Doom 2 Marine are the type of skins Id needs to make more off.  I am sick of seeing all the stupid reddit meme skins. 

I would of made the Silver variant a little more blue to match the PS cover a bit more but it still works.  Maybe even a mohawk.

Your guys feedback intimidates me. Looks like I have quite the struggle ahead of me this weekend. I only finally finished the super gore nest extra lives mode in nightmare last week after many failed attempts. I've completed all modes except ultra nightmare but I don't think it's possible, I've hit my ceiling.

I'm too stubborn to lower the difficulty. This one sounds more difficult.

But I did play a DLC1 level last night to test the ray tracing. I could see the Slayer's reflection in the windows. Lighting looks really good when there are dark tech base rooms with red globing lights.

6 hours ago, whatup876 said:

I wonder if his back has a giant circle, like in the box art. 

Yep, it's there.

image.png.d47ba954d0980086346bccb1417c1035.png

So, they took the easiest boss in the universe and made it even easier:

Trial of Maligog Boss Fight

Increased respawn timer for Hell Knight and Pinky spawns for all phases

Removed Mecha Zombie and Shield Soldiers

Increased resource drops when hitting the Cubes

Increased damage values for Chaingun, Micro Missiles, Precision Bolt and Automatic Shotgun against the Eye

Raised the Eye’s projectile attack sound effects in audio mix so they are more audible

Increased the Eye’s projectile attack VFX size so they are easier to see

Reduced direct damage from the Eye’s projectile attack

Decreased the Eye’s projectile attack speed by 20%

Increased size of hit detection for the Eye

If you say so, idsoft :p

Oh yes I wanted to mention that I'm disappointed they haven't fixed the map sounds bug. How long  must we deal with it?

Go to map or archives etc and then you get that annoying ambience sounds through the entire map even when fighting.

2 minutes ago, Chezza said:

Oh yes I wanted to mention that I'm disappointed they haven't fixed the map sounds bug. How long  must we deal with it?

Go to map or archives etc and then you get that annoying ambience sounds through the entire map even when fighting.

Yes how difficult can that be? :D It's really annoying and after triggered gets louder every time when you visit the automap/upgrade sections.

39 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Yes how difficult can that be? :D It's really annoying and after triggered gets louder every time when you visit the automap/upgrade sections.

Jesus CHRIST, that bug. I hate it so much. It's an issue literally 100% of the time on Master Levels, because I always have to switch my runes at the beginning, and it ALWAYS occurs when I do that. During the campaign, it seldom happens. During the Master Levels, it's a guarantee, so I've just had to learn to ignore it.

Did they do some sneaky updates to some enemy AIs? I feel like revenants waste way less time staring at you on nightmare now. They almost always start trying to punch and shoot on sight now. Gargoyles aren't killing me anymore with their melee attacks so I am also wondering if their animations were slowed down or am just paranoid enough about them to always dodge them now. 

20 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Did they do some sneaky updates to some enemy AIs? I feel like revenants waste way less time staring at you on nightmare now. They almost always start trying to punch and shoot on sight now. Gargoyles aren't killing me anymore with their melee attacks so I am also wondering if their animations were slowed down or am just paranoid enough about them to always dodge them now. 

I might also be paranoid, but it feels like the chainsaw pip takes a little bit longer to reload than what it did before this update. :D

5 hours ago, Pegg said:

Did they do some sneaky updates to some enemy AIs?

only for ITYTD and HMP, UV and NM are unchanged