Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

21 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Woof (as far as I know) only works with fluidsynth, which also requires a sf2 soundfont. I might be able to help you, but I need to look up my config files.

Actually, it works with anything that SDL2_Mixer supports - which in turn defaults to rendering MIDI with fluidsynth if that's enabled at build time. But, as you say, it needs a SF2 font to work properly. 

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Actually, it works with anything that SDL2_Mixer supports - which in turn defaults to rendering MIDI with fluidsynth if that's enabled at build time. But, as you say, it needs a SF2 font to work properly. 

Is it something new you added? Because I'm still using version 5.1.0 (no reason, I just haven't compiled any new version in a long time due to laziness).

EDIT: Oh! It's a SDL_Mixer thing, I thought that you needed to set it up in the build time for Woof and not SDL_Mixer.

Sorry for misreading!

Edited by Ar_e_en

Okay, I found my files.

This is how I got Woof to work with Fluidsynth music. Note: my current version of Woof is 5.1.0, but It should still work with the newest version.

1. Install Fluidsynth and download a sf2 soundfont. 
2. Go to your "bashrc" file (it's a hidden file in your user directory) and add the following to the end of the file:

# SDL soundfont setting
export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2

(The pathway there is the location of your downloaded sf2 soundfont)

3. Find your Fluidsynth config file (it should be in "/etc/conf.d") and change it so it looks like this:

# Mandatory parameters (uncomment and edit)
SOUND_FONT=/usr/share/soundfonts/FluidR3_GM.sf2

# Additional optional parameters (may be useful, see 'man fluidsynth' for further info)
OTHER_OPTS='-a alsa -m alsa_seq -r 48000'

(You may or maynot need the line with "OTHER_OPTS", it depends on if it works or not)

4.Restart your PC and launch Woof through your terminal (preferably with the "-iwad" parameter pointing to the location of your preferred iwad).

That's how I got the music to work on Woof, but you might want to check out the entries for "Fluidsynth" and "SDL_Mixer" on the Arch Wiki first - it's a good source for Linux help, even if you don't use an Arch based system.

Thanks, all. After doing that, Woof! plays D_INTRO, then segfaults. The crash seems to occur when it tries to change music tracks. I actually used gzdoom.sf2, but I can certainly try the one mentioned above. If that fails, I'll have to make a debug build and investigate further.

As to Debian, this is, but it's Debian Lenny on Alpha AXP; I have built the entire DOOM infrastructure, SDL2*, fluidsynth, libogg, timidity++, etc, from source, along with Woof, ZDoom and Chocolate Doom as well, specifically targeting the EV56 CPU I have. I have to use software render mode as the GFX card is so old, but it does work at a playable speed. The kernel likewise. This is a gross hack, but there's no up-to-date 'install from packages' Linux distro for Alpha, and Gentoo's build system is ... not looked after well :( I wish I knew what ZDoom does such that everything 'just works', but that'd be another source code trawl by itself.

Edited by Martin Howe

The type of sf2 font theoretically shouldn't have an effect on the games tendency to crash.

Also, given the description you just gave - I would have to assume that you actually have better knowledge on Linux then I do. My PC is a standard prebuilt that I bought recently and I use the latest version of Manjaro, mostly because my previous distro ran out of its LTS and I just decided to try something new. I wish you good luck on getting this thing to run, because my expertise ends here!

On 6/28/2021 at 5:44 AM, fabian said:

Thanks, I'll take a look. Even GZDoom had issues with fluidsynth (or fluidsynth and SDL) at one time. And thanks for the enhancements to SDL startup :)

EDIT: Confirmed. Patching SDL2_Mixer, remaking and reinstalling, fixes this and Woof! can now change music as often as it likes :) Thanks @fabian!

Edited by Martin Howe

32 minutes ago, fabian said:

Has this been saved and loaded with the exact same version of the engine? 

Yes, that's a bug, I'm trying to fix it now.

I think I found it, wrong padding. Actually no, stupid typo. If you haven't saved broken crushers two times your saves will work in the next version. Sorry, everyone!

Edited by rfomin

Has anyone experienced an unpleasant hiss when you encounter many enemies emitting sounds at once? In occurred in the previous version of Woof too. Using the 1.1 Pitch Effects mode eliminates this hiss, from what I can hear.

Example: walk forward until you bump into imp spawns at the beginning of Sunlust MAP18.

I think it keeps hissing all the time but it's amplified when it's louder. There's something wrong with sound.

Woof! 6.1.0

• The DEHEXTRA implementation has been enhanced and completed:
    • 200 dummy sounds have been added (@rfomin).
    • Support for the 'Dropped item' DEHACKED field has been added (@rfomin).
  • The engine does not quit anymore if joystick initialization failed. Also, errors that occur during SDL initialization are now properly reported (@rfomin).
  • Saving of the "window_position" config parameter has been fixed.
  • Missing IWAD headers are now non-fatal, preparing support for additional IWADs such as HACX or REKKR.
  • Specific support for the HACX IWAD has been aded.
  • The CI system has been migrated to Github actions (@rfomin).
  • The -levelstat option to write level statistics upon exit has been ported over from Crispy Doom (@rfomin).
  • A typo in saveg_read_ceiling_t() has been fixed which messes up savegames (@rfomin).
  • The console is now enabled for MSVC debug builds (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_6.1.0/Woof-6.1.0-win32.zip

10 hours ago, game said:

Has anyone experienced an unpleasant hiss when you encounter many enemies emitting sounds at once? In occurred in the previous version of Woof too. Using the 1.1 Pitch Effects mode eliminates this hiss, from what I can hear.

Example: walk forward until you bump into imp spawns at the beginning of Sunlust MAP18.

I think it keeps hissing all the time but it's amplified when it's louder. There's something wrong with sound.

Yes, it's really strange (1.1 Pitch Effects also fixes it for me). This doesn't happen on Crispy Doom or any other source port, but it happens on Woof!. I first noticed it when testing how well Woof! performs on nuts.wad- it performs perfectly, but the high pitched hiss is unbearable.

This has been becoming my new most-used source port ever since complevels were added. :)

Just one question- any chance we could see a fullscreen HUD implemented, like in Crispy Doom?

EDIT: So upon closer inspection, it seems the oldschool Boom fullscreen HUD is there- but only on Windows. On Linux (at least my Linux Mint 20.1 build) there is no fullscreen HUD at all.

EDIT 2: hurr durr

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

23 minutes ago, rfomin said:

@game, @Fireseth Are you using any hires sound pack (like Doom Sound Bulb)? I couldn’t hear the hiss, but I don’t really trust my ears.

Nope, completely vanilla sounds. 

Since you mentioned that, I just tried using Perkristian's Hi-res sound pack to see if it would change anything but it didn't. High pitched hiss is still present.

The only tampering with Woof was removing antialiasing in Nvidia settings. I didn't import an old cfg file. Strange that such conspicuous hiss has been overlooked before.

2 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

my new most-used source port ever since complevels were added

What's actually the benefit of that?

Of complevels? It just means you can accurately emulate vanilla/Boom/MBF behavior when you're playing maps made for those formats. While it's most useful for demo runners (since demos break if anything is different), some of the differences are pretty noticable- like in Boom compatibility you can shoot monsters off of ledges, the SSG will do the full reload animation even if you're out of ammo, the lost soul limit is gone, ghost monsters are fixed, that kind of stuff.

Also I must be crazy because I'm not hearing this hissing that everyone's talking about.

Sounds effects need to be scaled up from Doom's own mono / 8 bit / 11.025 Hz format to your system's native format. If, for example, your system's sample rate is not an integer multiple of Doom's own but e.g. 48.000 Hz, then artifacts may occur during the conversion. So, could you please try setting a different sound format for your hardware as shown here: 

https://superuser.com/questions/698522/how-should-i-decide-on-a-default-audio-format

16bit 44100

24bit 44100

24bit 48000

Changed between, restarted Woof. I'm reporting that it still produced hiss for me, while other ports (Eternity, Crispy, Chocolate) sound fine.

thvZ8fK.png
I changed through all of these, restarted Woof! and still, the high pitched hiss is still present.
Again, this only happens on Woof! and no other source ports that I'm aware of.

EDIT: I also tried plugging in my headphones to my preamp instead of directly into my computer, change it's sample rate but it didn't resolve the problem.

2 minutes ago, fabian said:

Does disabling sound precaching in the config file help?

Nope, didn't do anything noticeable. 

8 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

EDIT: So upon closer inspection, it seems the oldschool Boom fullscreen HUD is there- but only on Windows. On Linux (at least my Linux Mint 20.1 build) there is no fullscreen HUD at all.

Erm, well, it should. Could you try pressing F5 or assign some different keys to the "Change View" actions?

I can actually record the strange high pitched hiss I've been experiencing... Take a listen for yourself:
(If you listen very closely, when I press a button in the main menu the hiss is still present for any audio being played from Woof!)

Edited by Fireseth