Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm curious about under which circumstances, WAD will work on Crispy Doom but not PrBoom+?

Sadly doesn't work on PrBoom+ as I thought it's vanilla.

Okay, I just opened up the WAD in SLADE3, and saw immediately saw MAPINFO and other ZDoom stuff in a "vanilla" WAD (Still using the WAD called "Slith Vanilla.wad"), But I removed that stuff and attempted to play the WAD again in DOSBox and when when I got past the main menu the game instantly visplane overflowed. This WAD is definitely not vanilla.

I think this is just a misunderstanding by the author, It appears they thought the vanilla moniker referred to the game play rather than the compatibility, and while vanilla technically can refer to game play, It is usually used to refer to a WAD's compatibility, so calling this WAD vanilla is a bit misleading.

2 minutes ago, Sir Hattington said:

I think this is just a misunderstanding by the author, It appears they thought the vanilla moniker referred to the game play rather than the compatibility, and while vanilla technically can refer to game play, It is usually used to refer to a WAD's compatibility, so calling this WAD vanilla is a bit misleading.

That makes sense. Though it works on Crispy Doom, I assume it's at least limit-removing but it doesn't work on PrBoom+.

I would think the level of detail shown in the title screenshot is evidence it won't work with the original .exe ;)

Sorry guys

While I specifically mention the ports I tested this one, I did misunderstand the meaning of vanilla. I meant the WAD has no added textures or features. However, you do require a limit removing sourceport.

Edited by Pistoolkip

Looks wonderful. Gunna play it later today. 

Edit: Wow that was amazing ! Really excellent level design, texture use, lighting, monster placement and secrets. 10 / 10 from me. Inspiring work. 

Edited by PeterMoro

This actually got me curious because my question didn't get answered, and I asked plenty of people when does something work on Crispy Doom but not PrBoom+, nobody has an idea even they are veteran mappers.

Then I actually got out of my bed and downloaded Crispy Doom to try, and this doesn't work on Crispy Doom. I'm glad that I'm not living in a crazy world.

You can make Slith.wad run on Crispy, PrBoom+ and DSDA Doom by adjusting the last three lumps in the WAD, namely CREDIT, TITLEPIC and M_DOOM. The first two are PNG files (not supported by the aforementioned ports), and also way too large. Check DOOM2.wad for reference on correct dimensions for these lumps, and then convert them to Doom format. The M_DOOM lump on the other hand is just a marker, so it should either be removed or replaced with an empty image (also in Doom format).

The WAD also contains RSKY1 and SKY1 lumps that are not between PP_START and PP_END, but apparently it worked fine on all tested ports without them, so I guess that part is okay?

I played the first two maps to see they actual work on said ports, very much enjoyed the non-orthogonal aesthetic and tasteful use of textures and trims. Gameplay was also pretty fun, I liked the open nature of the maps, especially MAP02 with the looping overall structure and repopulating areas in an interesting way. Good stuff, will finish this at a later time.

I don't think there needs to be a "vanilla" version separately, as these maps clearly look limit-removing and the main file can be made to work with the most commonly used limit-removing ports like Crispy or DSDA Doom / PrBoom+ at cl2.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

You can make Slith.wad run on Crispy, PrBoom+ and DSDA Doom by adjusting the last three lumps in the WAD, namely CREDIT, TITLEPIC and M_DOOM. The first two are PNG files (not supported by the aforementioned ports), and also way too large. Check DOOM2.wad for reference on correct dimensions for these lumps, and then convert them to Doom format. The M_DOOM lump on the other hand is just a marker, so it should either be removed or replaced with an empty image (also in Doom format).

The WAD also contains RSKY1 and SKY1 lumps that are not between PP_START and PP_END, but apparently it worked fine on all tested ports without them, so I guess that part is okay?

I played the first two maps to see they actual work on said ports, very much enjoyed the non-orthogonal aesthetic and tasteful use of textures and trims. Gameplay was also pretty fun, I liked the open nature of the maps, especially MAP02 with the looping overall structure and repopulating areas in an interesting way. Good stuff, will finish this at a later time.

I don't think there needs to be a "vanilla" version separately, as these maps clearly look limit-removing and the main file can be made to work with the most commonly used limit-removing ports like Crispy or DSDA Doom / PrBoom+ at cl2.

You absolute hero! Thanks for helping me out.
I made the adjustments you suggested and the wad now runs on PRBoom+ and Crispy Doom, once again.

3 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

This actually got me curious because my question didn't get answered, and I asked plenty of people when does something work on Crispy Doom but not PrBoom+, nobody has an idea even they are veteran mappers.

Then I actually got out of my bed and downloaded Crispy Doom to try, and this doesn't work on Crispy Doom. I'm glad that I'm not living in a crazy world.

I had tested it on both earlier this week and it ran fine. Apparently something during the debugging was messing with these source ports, while I was trying to get it to run under Zdaemon properly. The issue is now fixed and it runs under both PRBoom+ and Crispy Doom. Let me know if you have any other issues.

3 hours ago, PeterMoro said:

Looks wonderful. Gunna play it later today. 

Edit: Wow that was amazing ! Really excellent level design, texture use, lighting, monster placement and secrets. 10 / 10 from me. Inspiring work. 

Great to hear it, thanks!

I started map3 well over a decade ago, but lost interest, then took up mapping again last summer during the lockdown. 

I am not a fan of Plutonia's gameplay in the least but want to try this as I like the look of the maps. However, I went to download it and it says the file was deleted?

EDIT: Never mind. Dropbox apparently had a senior moment or something.

48 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I am not a fan of Plutonia's gameplay in the least but want to try this as I like the look of the maps. However, I went to download it and it says the file was deleted?

EDIT: Never mind. Dropbox apparently had a senior moment or something.

Yeah, sorry, the link was offline for a few minutes while I updated the version. Should be fixed now.

If you don't like the Plutonia gameplay I recommend playing on a lower difficulty: Hey, not too rough.
At that difficulty there are still plenty of monster-traps but they're a lot more forgiving.

Just played through this, and I really don't have anything critical to say - it was a blast. Loved the very clean, refined take on the E4 visual style, the difficulty was consistently engaging but fair. Top notch stuff here!

I play using doom32.exe a lot of the time - basically as barebones as a "port" gets, it's literally just vanilla Doom with some raised limits. I noticed vanilla-esque ports played boring old IWAD music even though there were some badass midis in here, so I just deleted the vanilla MIDIs, and coped and renamed the others to D_RUNNIN and such and they worked like a charm. I hope you don't mind me doing this patch, I just really wanted the proper music - heard the iwad songs about 7 billion times by now, lol. This way, no matter what port someone uses, they get an identical experience.

Great wad! Here's my little patch:

(removed link so I can add the txt file)

Edited by Doomkid

40 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Just played through this, and I really don't have anything critical to say - it was a blast. Loved the very clean, refined take on the E4 visual style, the difficulty was consistently engaging but fair. Top notch stuff here!

I play using doom32.exe a lot of the time - basically as barebones as a "port" gets, it's literally just vanilla Doom with some raised limits. I noticed vanilla-esque ports played boring old IWAD music even though there were some badass midis in here, so I just deleted the vanilla MIDIs, and coped and renamed the others to D_RUNNIN and such and they worked like a charm. I hope you don't mind me doing this patch, I just really wanted the proper music - heard the iwad songs about 7 billion times by now, lol. This way, no matter what port someone uses, they get an identical experience.

Great wad! Here's my little patch:

SLITH_LR.zip

Thanks for the feedback!

Some people hate the music, some people love it, some people really prefer the original midi's. That's why I included them for the old school source-ports. But I don't mind you sharing the other version. I was thinking of releasing two versions myself - one with the original midi's, one with the added music.  But please include the original TXT file with your version. 

Really well made and vicious little mapset here. The last two really had me on the ropes at times hehe. There are some great moments with the way the combat flows and you did an excellent job escalating things each time I thought the fight was over in interesting ways that kept me on my toes and increasingly paranoid as I progressed. I liked your use of slyly hidden switches too that made secret hunting extra rewarding.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Really well made and vicious little mapset here. The last two really had me on the ropes at times hehe. There are some great moments with the way the combat flows and you did an excellent job escalating things each time I thought the fight was over in interesting ways that kept me on my toes and increasingly paranoid as I progressed. I liked your use of slyly hidden switches too that made secret hunting extra rewarding.

Glad you enjoyed it! You sounded a little frustrated near the end. The last area is mean. I admit. But they don't call it Ultra-Violence for nothing. For most players I'd recommend a lower difficulty to start out with, as the difficulty level ramps up quickly. 

I enjoyed your secret hunting but was sad to see you gave up near the end of Map03. The secrets you missed aren't the most tricky ones, and I like to use the Gargoyle face to show the way.

What complevel does this require to run in PrBoom+?  I'd assume cl2 since you mentioned it was tested with Crispy Doom, but I want to be sure before I try it.

EDIT: Never mind, I did see cl2 in an earlier post now that I read more closely.

6 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

You sounded a little frustrated near the end.

What gave me away? ;^) :^P Yeah, I get a bit riled now and then, but the important thing is I didn't give up. I saw the endgame in sight and had to win!

The third map is broken when pressing the Red Key Door, so I skipped it midway.

I can see the reference to Doom 2 Map01 and a bit of Map02 I suppose. Map02's big fight design is a bit of weird because the fight doesn't really lock you in. It seems most of the bigger fights you can just escape and fight them in the outside.

Not a big fan of the timed design of Map04 because it's sort of not very fun that after a while something teleported in. I guess having a way to open up everything and fight them all together is more my vibe. The last fight probably needs some balance because right now it only has 50 health in it, and it has quite a bit of RNG in it. When you don't have Armor, you can be killed by the AV or the Rev on the side.

2 Mons stuck together on Map03

Spoiler

doom05.png.d48f77dda211489aaa51ac934efb3d0b.png

Broken teleporter closets on Map04

Spoiler

doom06.png.a12a02c7812ff4f746204763d15eb63b.png

2 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

The third map is broken when pressing the Red Key Door, so I skipped it midway.

I can see the reference to Doom 2 Map01 and a bit of Map02 I suppose. Map02's big fight design is a bit of weird because the fight doesn't really lock you in. It seems most of the bigger fights you can just escape and fight them in the outside.

Not a big fan of the timed design of Map04 because it's sort of not very fun that after a while something teleported in. I guess having a way to open up everything and fight them all together is more my vibe. The last fight probably needs some balance because right now it only has 50 health in it, and it has quite a bit of RNG in it. When you don't have Armor, you can be killed by the AV or the Rev on the side.

2 Mons stuck together on Map03

Hide contents

doom05.png.d48f77dda211489aaa51ac934efb3d0b.png

Broken teleporter closets on Map04

Hide contents

doom06.png.a12a02c7812ff4f746204763d15eb63b.png

Thanks for the feedback

Which port & difficulty did you play on? Any additional mods used?

Also, I disagree on the 50% health on the last fight, since you get a super charge right before it. But I know it's a really difficult & RNG fight

DSDA-Doom 0.19.3, UV, No mod.

I picked up the Soulsphere during the first fight and I entered the last fight with 102/0. If that Soulsphere is intended for the last fight, then move it a bit. Maybe the AV is out of range if I'm stuck to the wall, but I didn't actually check.