Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stinkfist

OG Xbox Doom legacy

Has anybody had any experience with using this source port? It works beautifully on my 360, however I cannot seem to find any way to add any pwads. I’ve searched all over the net and read the reader files provided whith the sourceport download. It has no mention of adding pwads. Just setting up Iwads and saying all dooms will work ect.. 

ive seen other old threads saying to combine the iwad and pwad using some sort of tool? 

I would just move on and use omadex but it crashes when loading a save.. which is kindof important.. 

im so close to having AV on the big screen with proper controller support ect. 

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

again this is Doom legacy port for the original Xbox, ran on my modded 360 not xbla or anything like that. 

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

ive seen other old threads saying to combine the iwad and pwad using some sort of tool? 

Probably Deutex. Essentially you'd feed it a Doom IWAD and a PWAD on PC, and use it to merge the two into one new WAD, which you would then rename to doom2.wad (or whatever you're making the modded WAD for) and put it on the XBox.

That said, there's some other tools as well, but DeuTex will definitely work.

I tried that link, the download was fine but the program doesn’t want to work with my oc. I’ve tried a bunch of their versions and tried running them with comparability mode for windows 98/me with no luck. Is there anything more update to work with the later version of windows?

i get error messages saying this won’t work on my pc and to contact the author of the program lol. 

that or a cmd dialogue box will appear and then close itself. 

What program?

If you're talking Deutex, it's, well, oldschool commandline stuff because that's how it was done back in the day. You'd want a DOSBox setup or some sort of other DOS VM to do it. The FreeDoom project, for example, is still compiled with Deutex to this very day.

If you're talking WadMerge, I can't even get it to run, it's missing an OCX control since this was from back in the days where that was still a thing, I guess. Could be solved simply by googling for it, but eh.

I know that for modern WAD merging you could basically use SLADE, but the problem is SLADE will recognize the IWADs and not let you overwrite them by default. You can toggle the option, though, it's tucked away in the advanced preferences (specifically, as iwad_lock). Then you just copy all the AV lumps into the respective place on doom2.wad.

The tricky part is that you would have to delete every single lump from the original doom2.wad that's also in AV (basically, everything but the sprites), and ensure that the ones from av.wad remain before you save it. (SLADE will make this easier by highlighting them in green.)

Edited by Dark Pulse

If you're able to drop the console in Doom Legacy 1.42, there's a command called ADDFILE, for example:

ADDFILE av.wad

Which you would have to type in.. Then press enter/ok/X button?? :D ~ It should load the file..

Though you're using an emulator that has the configuration in xml, for IWADS..

So there's that, if all else fails, you might try treating the pwad like an iwad, and add the info in the xml.

~ and/or load the merged file as @Dark Pulse suggested.

It has no mention of adding pwads.

-file name.wad, same as vanilla doom

You could also use Crispy Doom's `-mergedump` parameter to merge WAD files, just saying. 

Thanks for the reply’s guys. 

after work today I’m going to attempt to use deutex in dos box and see if I can get anything going from there. 

as far as a console, I can’t see any options saying go to console, there’s no buttons that bring it down. Even if I plug in a keyboard the only button the it picks up is if I press the “Windows key” which brings up the Xbox 360 menu. 

in odamex, there is a console, but again my keyboard isn’t being picked up.

what I have tried is throwing the AV.wad in the “Iwad” folder, then tried remaining Av.wad to DOOM2.wad. Which just crashed legacy after I attempted to run it. And I even renamed the wad that the xml looks for to AV.wad with still no luck. 

ive hunted around for an area to input commands (-filename.wad method) on the launcher, and with the files provided in the package, I’ve seen nothing. 

I’m thinking the only way to get this done really might be with deutex or something similar.

just gotta wait till I get home :P

2 hours ago, fabian said:

You could also use Crispy Doom's `-mergedump` parameter to merge WAD files, just saying. 

Wait so If I launch crispy doom and use that peramiter it will create a merged wad??

2 hours ago, stinkfist said:

Wait so If I launch crispy doom and use that peramiter it will create a merged wad??

Yep. 

6 hours ago, fabian said:

Yep. 

Okay sorry for my newbish-ness with this. 

so when I launch crispy doom, go to “add extra parameters”, type in “-mergedump”

then add the AV wad to the “Add wads” spot on the launcher, and press start? 

cause I tried that and it gave me an -iwad.wad which I’m assuming is the merged doom wad? My computer looked like it gave an error though, but the message doesn’t say error or anything. 

I renamed that wad to DOOM2.WAD and tried to load it in legacy, and my Xbox just crashes. I dunno if I did something wrong or it’s just not going to work through crispy doom. 

still gonna attempt deutex 

Edited by stinkfist

As other replies have stated, "-file" loads PWADs.  These command line options have been inherited from parent sources, and are common with most Doom ports.

Before you search all over the web, look at the official DoomLegacy sites.

There is a separate docs and support package that you need to download from the sourceforge site.  Many people seem to miss that.

There are installation instructions in the docs folder.

DoomLegacy_1.48.8_common.zip

Download site

https://sourceforge.net/projects/doomlegacy/

DoomLegacy Home page

DoomLegacy Home

User Reference Manual

Every DoomLegacy has come with a User Reference Manual in the docs folder of the installation.

To load a PWAD  (Version 1.44 ...  )

>> doomlegacy  -game doom2   -file  cavern.wad

>> doomlegacy --help

>> doomlegacy -h g
 May 18 2021             Doom Legacy 1.48.9 (rev 1579)                 22:10:53 
-game name      doomu, doom2, tnt, plutonia, freedoom, heretic, chex1, etc.
-iwad file      The game wad
-file file      Load DEH and PWAD files (one or more)
-deh  file      Load DEH files (one or more)
-loadgame num   Load savegame num
-episode 2      Goto episode 2, level 1
-skill 3        Skill 1 to 5
-warp 13        Goto map13
-warp 1 3       Goto episode 1 level 3
-nomonsters     No monsters
-respawn        Monsters respawn after killed
-coopmonsters   Monsters cooperate
-infight        Monsters fight each other
-fast           Monsters are fast
-predicting     Monsters aim better
-turbo num      Player speed %, 10 to 255

After starting DoomLegacy, you can drop down the console and type.

> MAP CAVERN.WAD

and this will load that wad and run it.

I don't know which version you have, or which port (Windows, SDL, etc.) you are running on a "360".

I never ran game systems so "360" means to me an IBM 360 mainframe, and that can't be right.

If you are getting binary from some third party, they often do not make complete packages.

Wesley Johnson, DoomLegacy Team

35 minutes ago, wesleyjohnson said:

I don't know which version you have, or which port (Windows, SDL, etc.) you are running on a "360".

I never ran game systems so "360" means to me an IBM 360 mainframe, and that can't be right.

Its the Xbox 360. He is running the Original Xbox (from 2001) version on it through a modded Xbox 360 console.

This is version 1.42, by the way.

I am half-way surprised that actually works given the disparity in system configurations.

Edited by Redneckerz

"again this is Doom legacy port for the original Xbox, ran on my modded 360 not xbla or anything like that. "

As there is no port for the Xbox 360, then either it is running Windows, or running Linux, or someone has compiled the DoomLegacy source code for the XBox 360, in which case it is entirely up to how good the libraries are at matching the originals.

Someone (I forget names)  submitted code that allowed xbox controllers to be used, without having a keyboard.

(That code is in 1.48.8, but not in 1.42.)

He may have been running it on an xbox too, or just using the controllers.

The added code allows an xbox controller, without a keyboard, to set options and work the menus.

I don't see how they type in a decent command line, or work the console.

15 minutes ago, wesleyjohnson said:

"again this is Doom legacy port for the original Xbox, ran on my modded 360 not xbla or anything like that. "

As there is no port for the Xbox 360, then either it is running Windows, or running Linux, or someone has compiled the DoomLegacy source code for the XBox 360, in which case it is entirely up to how good the libraries are at matching the originals.

It is running in OG Xbox backwards compatibility mode, emulation.

15 minutes ago, wesleyjohnson said:

Someone (I forget names)  submitted code that allowed xbox controllers to be used, without having a keyboard.

(That code is in 1.48.8, but not in 1.42.)

He may have been running it on an xbox too, or just using the controllers.

The added code allows an xbox controller, without a keyboard, to set options and work the menus.

I don't see how they type in a decent command line, or work the console.

Keyboard can be used i guess?

On 7/1/2021 at 5:43 PM, Dark Pulse said:

If you're talking Deutex, it's, well, oldschool commandline stuff because that's how it was done back in the day. You'd want a DOSBox setup or some sort of other DOS VM to do it. The FreeDoom project, for example, is still compiled with Deutex to this very day.

DeuTex hasn't even had a DOS build for a few years; Freedoom releases are compiled with DeuTex on Linux. :P

Windows builds are on the release page: https://github.com/Doom-Utils/deutex/releases/latest

<h3>Controller</h3>
<p>
  Support for an xbox-style gamepad has been added.
  It appears to be a joystick with many buttons, triggers, and a hat.
  Button assignments have been made for menuesc, pause, and automap,
  so it is possible to play without a keyboard.
</p>
<ul>
<li>Pause: Joystick 0, Button 6, Controller BACK button.</li>
<li>MenuEsc: Joystick 0, Button 7, Controller START button.</li>
<li>Automap: Joystick 0, Button 8.</li>
<li>During the wait for players, when it asks for 's' to start,
it will also accept joystick button 2,3,4, or 5, as start.</li>
<li>All joystick buttons have double-click sensing.</li>
<li>Accidentally activating double-click button in the menus happens,
and that setting ignores normal button presses.
Delete that button assignment and start over.</li>
</ul>

This is from the DoomLegacy docs,  legacy.html.

If you do not have a keyboard, then you cannot drop down the console.  As console is keyboard input anyway, that is appropriate.

If you have a keyboard, then you can change what key drops down the console.

It is in the menus, under options, controls.

I use "ScrollLock" for my console key.  but I think the default is the accent (next to the '1' key).

Looking up Xbox emulation, I found emulators for the Xbox on the PC.   That does not sound like what this is talking about.

"OG Xbox backwards compatibility mode, emulation" is meaningless to someone who does not have an Xbox manual.

I did by luck find out that XBox is a Microsoft product, therefor if it emulates anything, it is going to be some version of Windows (could be WinXP for all I know).

The quality of my answers to questions will be limited by the vague-ness of the information fed to me.

There are two major DoomLegacy ports, the SDL Linux, and the SDL Windows, and a bunch of others and derivatives.  It does make a difference for some questions.