Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chemo

Update from id Software (Invasion on hold; official Horde mode in the works)

On the one hand, I'm disappointed that a feature I have been looking forward to since before the game was released has yet again been pushed back. Harrumph.

But on the other hand, it feels like that there has been more demand for a Horde Mode from the fanbase (maybe the unofficial Horde mods are really popular? I wouldn't know), and if that's the case then Id is showing that they care about what their players want.

Horde mode with invasions?  Imagine that!

TBH, I hope horde mode can introduce new demons.  Or at the very least, new variants

34 minutes ago, NoXion said:

On the one hand, I'm disappointed that a feature I have been looking forward to since before the game was released has yet again been pushed back. Harrumph.

But on the other hand, it feels like that there has been more demand for a Horde Mode from the fanbase (maybe the unofficial Horde mods are really popular? I wouldn't know), and if that's the case then Id is showing that they care about what their players want.

I think Invasion is being held off until they can get back to working in person. I remember in a interview they said that Invasion was the toughest feature they were working on, and I can imagine it would be a serious pain to work on it online. It's a little disappointing, but understandable.

Invasion Mode was an interesting concept but it was speculated to be the reason why some speedrunning skips/exploits were getting patched out. It's a feature that would've made sense with some sort of anti-cheat feature to ensure fair play, but Battlemode's anti-cheat was quickly removed due to negative backlash. Besides an initial demonstration of Invasion at QuakeCon, there was always little information on the specifics of how it would be implemented exactly. As far as I can tell, it was mostly ever just a concept that probably didn't work as well in practice due to the various factors mentioned above and time/resource constraints imposed during the pandemic.

Horde Mode on the other hand is a very exciting idea because it's something that people have been asking for and will add significantly more replay value to the game years down the line since it'll always be playable. I'll be interested in seeing how it's implemented (new arenas?) and if they'll be taking inspiration from Proteh's Horde Mode mods. Looking forward to seeing more at QuakeCon.

Fingers crossed Horde mode will include all the DLC demons! Well... maybe not all of them.

Good! Multiplayer is clearly not their vision for Doom 2016/Eternal and feels like something forced on them to check a marketing box. A horde mode that's actually built around the inherent strengths of the game sounds way more fun!

I'm hoping and praying that the previous game's arcade mode eventually makes its way over.

I’m very excited for horde mode.

I hope there is some sort of RNG element to it. It would get stale to me after a while if you can memorize spawn order.

17 hours ago, Gifty said:

I'm hoping and praying that the previous game's arcade mode eventually makes its way over.

Not exactly the same thing but apparently a "Time Attack" mode has been lurking in the game files:

I'm not sure if this will match up to Arcade, but it seems like a fun bonus mode. Hopefully the final version will have a more in-depth scoring system.

On 7/3/2021 at 5:00 AM, Chezza said:

Fingers crossed Horde mode will include all the DLC demons! Well... maybe not all of them.

Hello room full of marauders and cursed prowlers \ stealthed snakes.

Here's another game mode found in the files:

I really hope they add this at some point, as it seems like it could defiantly making gameplay more intense knowing you may permanently lose access to certain weapons.

9 hours ago, Hunting4r2d2 said:

Here's another game mode found in the files:

I really hope they add this at some point, as it seems like it could defiantly making gameplay more intense knowing you may permanently lose access to certain weapons.

That seems to go against DE's design and would require massive overhauls of every level. There's only a finite amount of damage a full 'backpack' of ammo can put out...

Unless chainsaw is still usable and the only challenge is truly not letting a weapon ammo hit zero before using the chainsaw..

14 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

Unless chainsaw is still usable

It is in that mode, yes.

I think the mode would be a lot more interesting if it forcefully disabled the ammo counter. In its current leaked state, the mode is effectively the same gameplay but more punishing. If the ammo counter hud is disabled, then the mode becomes more about mentally managing all the weapons' ammo supplies and keeping an ear out for the low-ammo ping sound for the various weapons - which I think would be a unique enough gameplay to justify it as a new mode.

Cool. How much of that am I getting access to while Doom is behind a firewall? Because fuck Bethesda.net.

Why the hate for Bethesda.net? Is it connectivity issues? Because I've had precisely zero problems with it.

Signing into an online service to play a single-player game is preposterous. Gamers agreed on this 20 years ago.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:45 PM, AtimZarr1 said:

...but Battlemode's anti-cheat was quickly removed due to negative backlash.

It seems as they want to stay with Denuvo Anti Tamper.

The last Update for Quake Champions implemented it.

I wish they could come up with another anti Cheat Method.

17 hours ago, Azuris said:

It seems as they want to stay with Denuvo Anti Tamper.

The last Update for Quake Champions implemented it.

Denuvo Anti-Tamper =/= Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Also, do you have a source proving that Quake Champions added DAC? The patch notes didn't give specifics.

2 hours ago, chemo said:

Denuvo Anti-Tamper =/= Denuvo Anti-Cheat

Also, do you have a source proving that Quake Champions added DAC? The patch notes didn't give specifics.

Hm my faul! I have to stop writing Comments when i am tired.
Had the Denuvo from the Comments in Steam and their choose of Words misleaded me even further to the "Anti Tamper".

Started the Game right now, Windows did not ask me about any Permission for Software, so it has to be something different.

Here is the Post of the Update with the Information they gave with the Anti Cheat:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/611500/view/2975172642565387343

New Anti-Cheat

- We have added anti-tamper security methods and have taken actions to significantly reduce in-game cheating and exploits. This added level of protection will continue to strengthen over time.

- We recommend that any users experiencing issues disable third-party software while playing; in particular, any software that attempts to integrate with our game by creating overlays or performs keyboard or mouse automations.

-Some GPU “tuning applications such as Riva Tuner or MSI AfterBurner may cause compatibility issues. If you experience gameplay issues, please disable these applications while playing.

- Test Signing is not supported. The game will not launch if Test Signing is enabled.

Just a small update from Hugo Martin's livestream yesterday:

- Horde Mode will feature a ranking/scoring system

- Update 7 will feature two Master Levels. One is Reclaimed Earth World Spear (Edit: Hugo corrected himself later online) and the other will be revealed during next week's livestream.

Edited by AtimZarr1 : Correction

3 hours ago, whatup876 said:

It seems the achievements for Horde Mode look like this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/q6s5s9/new_horde_mode_achievements/

vdlpukro82t71.png

For reference, TAG2 achievements were uploaded about two weeks in advance. In this case, that would indicate Update 6.66 would probably release the week of October 25th (likely the 26th or 28th). Since Hugo's Horde Mode sneak peek preview livestream was delayed to October 21, it lines up even more.

I wonder if acquiring all the weapons is a separate achievement because it's the "mid point" between starting and finishing Horde Mode, or if it's because weapon progress eventually becomes optional (like collecting remaining weapon mods or the Unmaykr) from the main Horde Mode progress.

My impression is that you start only only two a random weapons and will gradually unlock the other weapons as you progress. At some point you unlock them all, but then the maximum difficulty kicks in and the final challenge is surviving Horde mode until the end.