Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dubbag

What is Your Job/Career?

Technically I'm a recording and mixing engineer, though I've been inactive since April of 2020, besides a few freelance projects. I've been hiding out in the desert for the past year waiting on Los Angeles to either blow away or become "safe" again while receiving unemployment benefits, though it's been in a sort of limbo for the past few months, so I'll most likely return this fall to look for a new job in a studio or production house. I've still been maintaining an active resume with relevant activities, but I have a feeling that a year long gap on a resume is pretty expected in my field at this point.

9 hours ago, Phobus said:

and I'm so junior and with incomplete experience, despite my qualifications and years "in the industry" that I don't seem to do much, so much as assist with things and complete training. There's a leap to being a competent professional in my field, and it's incredibly difficult to scratch together quantifiable experience and success in order to make it.

God, that sounds so much like my 'role' in for my prior employer. I was employed by a big B2B SI with their own proprietary software suite. Arrived via an acquisition of a small CMS company and, despite many years trying, got absolutely nowhere. Eventually left and found a fantastic local company, as I mentioned above, that is ideal as it is exactly the kind of environment and working responsibilities I want. Landed on my feet there I must say.

I finished High School last month, I studied mechatronics but since my town is very small I'll prolly end up working at the local car workshop (or however they are called in english)

I am currently working as a delivery driver/customer service technician for a medical supply company. Before that, I was working as a security guard for the past 4.5 years. And then before that, I was working a bunch of odd jobs, mostly temporary and seasonal jobs. I also worked as a promotions assistant for a radio station for a few years.

I'm a Certified Nursing Assistance that works at a Nursing home caring mostly long term elderly residents who can't care for themselves anymore. I've been certified since 2010 & been employed at one specific nursing facility for 9 years so far despite how nerve raking COVID was last year.

I'm a doctor, specifically a traumatologist orthopedist (or however you call it in english I guess). It's nice, I get to use a saw on people's bones. And drills. And hammers.

I also have a side gig moonlighting as a GP every three days or so depending on my base hospital rotations and my private consultation, mostly thanks to covid because we were forced to the "frontlines" (GP and ER consultation rotations) when my government backed hospital was collapsing under the strain. And it became a habit to do GP stuff. It has it's pros and cons, and I think I'll drop it soon.

By this point you may rightly infer I'm not american.

Having recently finished high school, I'm working towards a career somewhere in computer science. Probably most likely to look for a Linux-related job.

I currently work as an 'anti-fraud agent' for a large office supply company. Basically, I'm a call centre rep w/ a snazzy name. I take phone calls from people who's credit cards are on hold, and determine (based on a variety of factors) whether or not the order in question is fraudulent, or likely to be fraudulent. If I decide an order is likely fraudulent, I cancel it.

This usually causes prolonged arguments.

It is what it is. :P

I deliver packages for Amazon and I love it. I'm working for a great subcontractor, make $17 an hour and only work 4 days a week. 

Like many in the charitable sector, my job has several roles. Primarily IT; I work for Asperger East Anglia in Beccles,  UK. About 70% refurbishing donations, mostly computers but sometimes light domestic goods, which are then sold on eBay or sometimes in our high-street charity shops; we've only two as we're not a big national organisation.

Most of the rest is the same, but with the addition of mentoring young adults with autism how to cope with the social skills and/or expectations to do with the workplace, much of it a case of how not to be me when I was younger :p (There was no understanding of the neurology of people like me when I was young, unlike today, so I just thought I was a typical geek/nerd/eccentric and just unlucky enough to have wound up in the 'real world' instead of computer architecture research at a university which is what I wanted to do when I was a teen.) I also run a social group for autistic adults that meets twice a month and with the worst of Covid-19 over,  meeting in person more often instead of on Zoom.

My background is computer systems and microelectronics, with microprocessor architecture being a special interest. I worked in direct mail after university doing IT support and programming mail jobs; about half for junk mail and half for banks and insurance companies; we even did some government work. I've managed a small VAX/VMS system and used SunOS, DOS, Windows, UNIX at work and more at home, and use Linux for day to day as I'm thoroughly tired of MICROS~1's bad faith and general ineptitude.

I've made contributions to ZDoom and was an early member in 1999 of the DOSDoom team (the port that eventually became EDGE before @Coraline took it over). When I bought my first PC in 1995, it was for DOOM - told the sales guy at PC world (now Curry's Digital): "If it doesn't run Doom, it's dead on arrival" :) Never thought I'd be running it on an AlphaServer 25 years later!

Right now, I'm Sam the butcher bringing Alice the meat.

I have an associates degree in electrical construction, but I absolutely hated it. If you're looking into the constructions trade, do not become an electrician. The pay is bad, and you will be treated like shit, forever. Even after you've made Journeyman, you might make a living wage, but you will still be treated like dirt. They are last in line for construction diagrams.

I prefer cutting meat. At the very least I don't have to worry about climbing up eight foot ladders to put boxes on a twelve foot ceiling. Or electrocuting myself on a 220V lighting panel. Sucks that I went to school for it, but you live and learn.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, Philnemba said:

I'm a Certified Nursing Assistance that works at a Nursing home caring mostly long term elderly residents who can't care for themselves anymore. I've been certified since 2010 & been employed at one specific nursing facility for 9 years so far despite how nerve raking COVID was last year.

I work in long term care as well. I was an aide for five years, then an LPN for a year and I just passed my state boards and became a registered nurse about a week ago. From experience, I know how hard aide work is and I know alot of nurses don't appreciate what you guys do, but thank you. The facilities wouldn't run without your help. You also spend the most time with the patients and are often the first to notice when something is not right with the patients. CNAs are truly the eyes and the ears of nurses.

COVID has made it so difficult for the patients. For the past year, everything has been on lockdown and alot of the residents haven't seen their families in over a year. Restrictions are being loosened, but we still gotta be careful.

I absolutely love nursing and healthcare. It took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do with my life (too long), but I'm finally doing it. Giving care to others is a great feeling and helping others, even with something as simple as assisting them to the toilet can make all the difference in the world to your patient. Even on a crappy day (And they are some REALLY bad day), you can go home knowing you did something that mattered. I felt that way when I was an aide and I feel that way now as a nurse.

Edited by RomDump

I'm one of those "full stack" developers working as a contractor for a fortune 500 company.

I work in an agricultural/groundcare parts department.

Without saying much, I fucking hate my job for a plethora of reasons, on the plus I have a lot of money (even though minimum wage lmfaoooo) because I work so much damn overtime and because I physically have no time to do anything outside of work so I hardly buy anything.

Might quit, dunno, jobs ain't common round my parts.

I teach at a university. I'm also the primary carer for my two kids, which is real work. 

I work in customer returns at a plumbing/heating distributor. Essentially, I'm the middle-man between the manufacturers and the plumbers trying to get warranties from said manufacturers. It's not as bad as it sounds.

But in my free time I'm a game designer. I've already made 2 tabletop games that are being playtested, and have 3 more in the works. None of it has been published yet, so it's all still just a hobby. But the dream is to be able to eventually make a living off of it.

On 7/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, TenenteZashu said:

I finished High School last month, I studied mechatronics but since my town is very small I'll prolly end up working at the local car workshop (or however they are called in english)

Well, we call them car shops or autobody shops. Or just shop, as in "I have to take my car to the shop". My advice to you is don't get stuck doing that work long term.

It's hard work, and it's literally back breaking labor. My Dad did it for twenty some years and had to quit because his back was shot, along with most of his finger joints, and his knees have problems. And this crept up in his mid 40s. He can't sit for any extended period, and standing is just as bad. Completely lost the soft cartilage between several vertebrae, so it's basically bone scraping on bone.

Of course he was an enthusiastic hard worker who loved his job, and loved overtime pay. Maybe a lazier mechanic wouldn't have as many problems.

He loved doing it, and his wealth of knowledge on things car related is useful, and amazing. But I'd still recommend not doing it long term.

believe it or not but I normally work as a software engineer. I have a bachelors degree in IT that I finished in 2007 at a european university. I am a european btw.

and I am married to a nurse and I have a kid that was born in 2011.

In my free time I am busy showing everybody how bad I am at making doom levels and doom mods.

Edited by CBM

Europe's  a country now?

As for me, well why not? Let's get a mug of tea.

I'm a bus driver here in Scotland. Not the sort who takes people on coach tours and such, but one who does town runs. I used to be a driver in the RAF, but they started hemorrhaging drivers once word got out that they planned to replace 90% of us with civilian contractors since they're not as expensive. I refuelled aircraft, drove buses, trucks, cars, vans, forklifts, ambulances, the lot. Now I get paid more to just drive buses around town. That said, we did just get offered a 0% pay rise after seeing all those who have been working from home this past year get a nice little bonus, so there's no telling how long I'll be there for now. :p

Depending on what routes I'm working can make the day vary too. The biggest downsides to the job are probably the foreigners who come here to work but have no clue where they're actually going and can't speak or understand a word of english (I'm not exaggerating), and junkies. I had the same junkie get on three times yesterday claiming he had lost his phone despite holding two in his hand, had no money to get home and had even been left by another bus. At one point he couldn't even remember if he lived in one town or another. On one occasion I dropped him off, turned the bus around at the terminus and there he was waiting on the other side of the road with the same sob story as if I hadn't just seen him already. Then he passed out at the back of the bus and it took too long just to get him to wake up and get on his feet. Unfortunately, thanks to the SNP giving these people free methadone to either feed their addiction or sell to other junkies, people like him are going to be a nuisance for some years to come. I could go on, but life's too short.

Otherwise it's a good job. On the odd occasion I'll get a compliment or even free stuff like a bottle of pop or a packet of biscuits from someone. The former is especially appreciated if ice cold on a hot day, just FYI. ;) Our buses don't have air con.

1 minute ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Part time job, but I'm an amateur Esports shout-caster.
Also I'm studying IT/software engineering.

Got any vids of you casting? 

I'm a professional student, 9 years running and still going strong. going into High School next week.

Some cool jobs others have! I'm almost jealous! 

I worked at my university for close to... 12 years I think?  I was a system admin (Linux mainly) who also did tech support for the library, as well as some programming.  Before that I did tech support for classrooms, and also event setups and live audio mixing.  But I don't work anymore due to severe mental health issues.  In most ways I suppose I'm closer to a homemaker anymore, which I'm fine with, though I'm still limited in what I can even do with that.