Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Teo Slayer

Unmakyr, good or nah?

The Unmakyr is a weapon which shoots deadly lasers and it gets overpowered if you select all the 3 keys for it. It first made its appearence in Doom 64 and it showed up again in Doom Eternal.

I have seen many people talking about how good and powerful the Super Shotgun and BFG 9k are, but no one talks about the Unmakyr. To be honest, I prefer the Unmakyr more than the BFG, it's faster and it doesn't eat that much ammo. So I wonder, is the Unmakyr a good weapon?

I can't comment on Doom Eternal, but it's an absolute beast in Doom 64 if you have all the keys. I prefer it over the BFG.

Edited by [McD]James

3 hours ago, [McD]James said:

I can't comment on Doom Eternal, but it's an absolute beast in Doom 64 if you have all the keys. I prefer it over the BFG.

what i dont like about it is that its 3 weapons that use plasma i wished it used another ammo source like rockets or even a new type of ammo

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

what i dont like about it is that its 3 weapons that use plasma i wished it used another ammo source like rockets or even a new type of ammo

Then you would have an overabundance of power weapon ammo, making an already ridiculously overpowered weapon even more ridiculously overpowered. 

1 hour ago, omalefico32x said:

To me,it doesn't make any sense that Unmakyr uses plasma as ammo. It's supposed to be a weapon created by the demons from Hell, so it should use a demonic-thing ammo

Also thanks to the mods for moving this to the right forum

Loved it in Doom 64, I haven't seen / or played Doom 2016/Eternal yet, so can't comment on the one in Eternal.

Really need a new computer...

41 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

To me,it doesn't make any sense that Unmakyr uses plasma as ammo. It's supposed to be a weapon created by the demons from Hell, so it should use a demonic-thing ammo

Maybe the UAC were manufacturing Plasma from a hell source? 

And also yay for the Unmakyr, made D64 a bit more different from vanilla. I really like the first key level even though its annoying as fk. 

53 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

Then you would have an overabundance of power weapon ammo, making an already ridiculously overpowered weapon even more ridiculously overpowered. 

at least i would be still using the plasma and the bfg you get the unmayker preety early in the game in the same level as the first key already making the plasma gun kinda useless and when you get the second key i see few reason to switch to the bfg and when you get the third you just become a god of firepower

Ehhhh, nah.  I don't really use it, as I prefer the BFG for cleaning up a room when it gets crazy.  SSG/Ballista works wonders, and you get to keep your BFG ammo.

Not a fan of Eternal's Unmakyr, I seldom use it. However I know the weapon can be used well when combined with weapon switching but it requires more effort and skills to kill one demon at a time. I'd rather quickly clear a room in a push of a button when things become too heated.

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

at least i would be still using the plasma and the bfg you get the unmayker preety early in the game in the same level as the first key already making the plasma gun kinda useless and when you get the second key i see few reason to switch to the bfg and when you get the third you just become a god of firepower

You get the Unmaker on Map12. If we aren't counting the super secret maps or the secret maps where you find the keys, this is close to halfway through the game. The Unmaker, plasma rifle, and BFG all have different uses depending on different circumstances and combat scenarios. I never stopped using the plasma rifle because of the Unmaker, and I still used the BFG to clear out rooms. A BFG and an Unmaker with two keys aren't even close to having the same functionality.

It used to be fun with the overdrive in Eternal, when the ammo was infinite during the power-up.. Combining it with the fully upgraded icebomb makes it a beast, taking Barons and Tyrants down very quickly :) Since they changed the overdrive behaviour super weapon ammo isn't affected by it, I lost interest to use it that much and prefer the BFG more instead.

13 hours ago, Pegg said:

It doesn't crash the game, that alone makes it better than the BFG.

Does the BFG crash the game somehow? It hasn't happened at least to me yet.

41 minutes ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Does the BFG crash the game somehow? It hasn't happened at least to me yet.

It seems better after the RTX patch but before that it was a disaster waiting to happen.

The BFG crashing the game so often is the reason I still haven't beaten the Taras Nabad Master level... :(

I wish I had more reason to use it, but its just not as great when the BFG is an option imo.