Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

PSX Doom is actually really good

Where's All the Data to Psydoom?   All I see is the 909KB zip of the exe.   Or is the GEC master edition with doom2.wad just what I need for it?

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Where's All the Data to Psydoom?   All I see is the 909KB zip of the exe.   Or is the GEC master edition with doom2.wad just what I need for it?

You need the PSX game's data.

RTFM.

PSX Doom is among my most cherished childhood memories. First played Doom on a Windows 95 PC and was so saddened that my Amiga 500 couldn't run it. I even tried recording the game on a diskette like a VCR so my Amiga could play it (i was like 5 years old at the time :D ). Later i got Doom for my brand new PS1 and i've to this day not stopped playing it from time to time.

Even when playing Doom on a PC, i always have to load pssfx.wad because the PS1 sound effects are the correct ones to me. I'm so happy to see the TC's and even mods for the original PS1 release. PSX Doom is truly something special.

PSX DOOM isn't good. It's INCREDIBLE! It's how I got into DOOM when I was a kid in the 90's on my uncle's PlayStation. I was terrified of the imps and actually had a nightmare about them, but it always made me want to see and play more. Or at least watch someone play it because I was too scared...

As an adult playing it, I can say it's one of the definitive versions of console DOOM. It has such a unique feel and look to it. Those fire effects in the sky are really something else, and helped separate it from other ports. The overall sounds and music of the game are so good. PSX DOOM R00LZ!

I still have my original copy of PSX Doom in the longbox on my shelf. Such an amazing version of Doom.

"BEST DOOM YET"

-John Romero, Creator of DOOM

I couldn't agree more!

PSX Doom took the frenetic gameplay from the original pc version and merged it with survival horror creating a ghastly hybrid that gave me the chills back in the day.

1 hour ago, PSXDoomer said:

I still have my original copy of PSX Doom in the longbox on my shelf. Such an amazing version of Doom.

"BEST DOOM YET"

-John Romero, Creator of DOOM

I couldn't agree more!

PSX Doom took the frenetic gameplay from the original pc version and merged it with survival horror creating a ghastly hybrid that gave me the chills back in the day.

Romero's actually said that he considers the PC version the best. :P

Certainly the best contemporary console port, though. I doubt anyone will question that it was easily the best console-based way to play Doom until the perfect ports came out starting with the XBox.

Another fan of PSX Doom & Final Doom, my favourite versions by some margin, and almost certainly the best way to play it now is the “PsyDoom” source port by @intacowetrust which is still being worked on and improved here:

I wish to play it but the time refuses to work with the emulators.

I Just ordered it for 30 bucks (without the case, it's also preowned). that was the cheapest I could find. I haven't played DOOM on UV before, and I rarely if ever have played on my PS1 (My cousin gave it to me like 10 years ago when he got the PS3). I was thinking I would post a review of it when I was done with the game on Doomworld. It is supposed to arrive this Monday to Wednesday. 

On 4/20/2021 at 12:00 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Romero's actually said that he considers the PC version the best. :P

Certainly the best contemporary console port, though. I doubt anyone will question that it was easily the best console-based way to play Doom until the perfect ports came out starting with the XBox.

I'm one of those people who choose to play PSX Doom over perfect ports just for the custom stuff that PSX Doom has. It's so sad that there's probably 0 chance of getting an official rerelease like Doom 64 had.

14 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Best version of DOOM ever made

Such an amazing theme! I also really dig the Credits & Demo song as well.

I can't unsee how much stretched everything is horizontally in this port. Not the sprites though, just the levels.

ps1.png.7f10904df9ba0d671c78a12f50bb8bef.png

PC.png.63387353e281ebd300b6763e06a7aad3.png

Doom-USA-210602-082045.png.04731a990def51add68a7e79ba40fd84.png

DOOM-II-1994-210602-082141.png.53b09c53cb8b7b0bf4d78fb0d67087f1.png

It's like this in the whole game. Every narrow corridor is as wide as an airfield!

On 7/11/2021 at 11:49 PM, TasAcri said:

I can't unsee how much stretched everything is horizontally in this port. Not the sprites though, just the levels.

PC.png.63387353e281ebd300b6763e06a7aad3.png

Doom-USA-210602-082045.png.04731a990def51add68a7e79ba40fd84.png

DOOM-II-1994-210602-082141.png.53b09c53cb8b7b0bf4d78fb0d67087f1.png

It's like this in the whole game. Every narrow corridor is as wide as an airfield!

That's because the game is actually rendered in a different resolution. PC is, of course, 320x200, but PSX is 256x240, which is then re-scaled via rasterization to approximately 293x240.

So essentially, you're losing a large amount of horizontal resolution, but you're actually gaining slightly on the vertical. It goes from a 16:10 ratio to a 16:15 one.

58 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

That's because the game is actually rendered in a different resolution. PC is, of course, 320x200, but PSX is 256x240, which is then re-scaled via rasterization to approximately 293x240.

So essentially, you're losing a large amount of horizontal resolution, but you're actually gaining slightly on the vertical. It goes from a 16:10 ratio to a 16:15 one.

So these corridors aren't really wider then, just visually? In that, you don't actually have more room to maneuver?

2 hours ago, TasAcri said:

So these corridors aren't really wider then, just visually? In that, you don't actually have more room to maneuver?

you don't. its probably just odd 2.5d port rendering

6 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Having worked on the GEC Master Edition project, I can pretty safely say that the world unit scale is 100% identical.

There are, however, some differences in collision (especially), sprite scaling relative to the world, and geometry (because very tall areas, and areas with a wall of more than 256 units high, present issues for the renderer).

I didn't like the map and monster changes when I tried it. Revenants are weaker than imps for some reason and you encounter doom 2 demons before barons.

PSX Doom was my first Doom game, I got it when I was younger but I didn't finish it until years later. Will always be one of my favourite PSX games. It wasn't that long ago that I last played it and I still enjoy it now.

On 7/15/2021 at 3:59 AM, Pegg said:

Revenants are weaker than imps for some reason

Wait, they are? I thought the enemies were more or less unchanged?

10 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Wait, they are? I thought the enemies were more or less unchanged?

There were some minor changes.

• Lost Souls got a health reduction (60 HP, PC is 100) and seem more aggressive (not 100% sure on that for PSX Doom but it's definitely true for Doom 64)
  • Revenant walking speed was reduced to about the level of an Imp's, but their missiles are always lock-ons in exchange
  • Possibly 1-2 other things I'm not remembering off the top of my head

It'd be even better if there was a patch for PS1 Doom to support the analogue sticks.

Yes, I am already aware that PS1 Doom's release predates the PS1's Dual Analogue controllers, but it'd really be good to be able to turn around at the speed I want, even if you can't look up or down. It'd still be more comfortable than constantly relying on horizontal autoaim.

PS1 Doom looks really good, too, with that coloured lighting, and I like that ambient soundtrack.

And no Archvile. Good riddance.

I wish you could save to a memory card, too. Like, did memory cards not exist on PS1 back when Doom on PS1 was released?

Edited by Nikku4211

On 7/12/2021 at 5:49 AM, TasAcri said:

Source or CRT shader in this image? Look great for PSX Doom or Doom 64.

On 1/22/2021 at 7:41 AM, xvertigox said:

I get what you mean, it's similar to D64 in that regard.

No it isn't. Doom 64 is a sequel, not a retelling.

I can't believe im going to admit this but I guess things change over time.  I prefer the PC version over the PSX one.  I started with DOOM 64 when I rented it in the 1990s and I was too scared to get around the first level. 

Years wen't by and this game got fun again and tried it.  I was soo into the PSX doom version then the PC that I started to play that more instead.  I would even use a PSX sound effects wad on the PC one to replace the PC sounds and I even changed the music which is strange because isn't E1M1 the best music track ever in the DOOM world??

Months wen't by and I tried somany ports/versions out in the internet... one day I tried ZDOOM 2.3.1 and thats when it happened.  DOOM PC on ZDOOM 2.3.1 with the sound effects on level 10 over PSX doom sounds any day!

The other ZDOOM versions make the monsters sound a little different... or something?? in pitches/loudness/tones i dont know but 2.3.1 made the PC sounds > PSX sounds for me.

No offense to PSX doom sound lovers!! I did own the actual PSX DOOM disc on my PS2 some years ago but it was the greatest hits one so the disc did not have that colorful design on it.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

On 9/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, Ulukai said:

Source or CRT shader in this image? Look great for PSX Doom or Doom 64.

It's the guest-venom shader from RetroArch, running on Beetle PSX.