Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

Just now, Adamast0r said:

Thanks a lot Dark Pulse.

I really don't mean to drag this on. Thanks for all the help.

It's fine, I'd just like to figure out why the hell it isn't working. By all logic it SHOULD.

1 hour ago, Adamast0r said:

Thanks a lot Dark Pulse.

I really don't mean to drag this on. Thanks for all the help.

It works for me like that.

FILE "Doom.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    POSTGAP 00:02:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 07:57:14
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 11:08:33
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 13:06:27
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 17:04:31
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 20:32:42
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 22:42:44
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 23:38:31

FILE "FinalDoom.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    INDEX 01 05:01:39
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 08:16:58
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 10:14:52
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 14:12:56
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 17:40:67
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 19:50:69

5 hours ago, Adamast0r said:

Also, when I open the Doom.bin with Notepad++ it's completely empty. Don't know if that's really supposed to be the case.

It definitely shouldn't be empty. Doom.bin isn't human-readable in Notepad++ (it's a disc image full of game data), so you'd only see a bunch of garbled text and symbols, but the bin itself should be around 277mb. (Final Doom is around 238mb)

1 hour ago, Lollie said:

It definitely shouldn't be empty. Doom.bin isn't human-readable in Notepad++ (it's a disc image full of game data), so you'd only see a bunch of garbled text and symbols, but the bin itself should be around 277mb. (Final Doom is around 238mb)

Somehow I missed this...

Yeah, if it's TOTALLY empty, then somehow he's got a bad rip and would need to re-rip.

@Adamast0rr if you own the game and for some reason can't get a good rip, i think it's completely fine to download a rip from a rom site that has a .cue and separate .bin files for each track. The problem here is clearly the .bin you have. 

Thanks folks. I do own the original game, but I don't have a PSX anymore. When I found out about this port I figured it was the best way to replay that particular flavor of Doom.

I'll go ahead and try to get another rip.

11 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

Thanks folks. I do own the original game, but I don't have a PSX anymore. When I found out about this port I figured it was the best way to replay that particular flavor of Doom.

I'll go ahead and try to get another rip.

As long as you got the disc, that's really all you need, so don't worry. :)

10 hours ago, Adamast0r said:

How about this error?

issue.png.02f6b463700e8e6c749f8bc36c5f53f1.png

Hello @Adamast0r it looks like the game is complaining that your .bin file contains no data as others have pointed out (empty file). It verifies the settings in the .cue file before launch to make sure each track is not beyond the end of the file. You will need to obtain a valid rip in order to play.

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Only thing I can think of then is that PsyDoom does not like BIN/CUE rips that are a single BIN file instead of a per-track BIN file, and you'd have to re-rip it as a ISO/CUE or as a split-track BIN/CUE.

Paging @intacowetrust for clarification here.

Single or multiple .bin files can be used along with the .CUE file - it shouldn't matter to PsyDoom. I mostly use a single .bin file for testing, so it's definitely not a problem.

12 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

This port is great, too bad theres no multiplayer support yet

The original 2 player (Link Cable) multiplayer is supported over TCP/IP. It's more suited to LAN play however (where very low latencies are guaranteed) because the networking is like original DOS Doom's networking and highly synchronous. Here is a video of the feature being tested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1lsN34PJE

10 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Hello @Adamast0r it looks like the game is complaining that your .bin file contains no data as others have pointed out (empty file). It verifies the settings in the .cue file before launch to make sure each track is not beyond the end of the file. You will need to obtain a valid rip in order to play.

Thanks for the help, intacowetrust. The guys here made me see that as well. I'll try and get a valid .bin file.

I took a disk image Doom and replaced the Master Edition beta 2 extracting files from disk The original code of the disc left was able to run PsyDoom 0.7.4

Hello! 

I've been playing this version of PSX DOOM tons as of lately, and I just encountered a game-breaking bug when reaching The Citadel. I was not able to get the platform that leads to that door to go up, no matter how much I interacted with the back walls, forcing me to noclip out of that room. Reloading the map and trying again had the same result. There's also that silly medkit floating in mid-air, but I added it just for the laughs. It's been some time since I played the original PSX DOOM on a real hardware, so I was wondering if these are actual glitches or caused by the reverse-engineering? Same question goes for attacks going through enemies at times and switches/doors/key bars being a bit finnicky to trigger.

20210614203427_1.jpg

20210614203440_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Umbra said:

Hello! 

I've been playing this version of PSX DOOM tons as of lately, and I just encountered a game-breaking bug when reaching The Citadel. I was not able to get the platform that leads to that door to go up, no matter how much I interacted with the back walls, forcing me to noclip out of that room. Reloading the map and trying again had the same result.

Hello Umbra, thanks for checking out the project.

With regards to the first issue the problem is a bug caused by collision handling differences between PSX and PC. It also confused me a lot when I was playing through the map again a while back... You have to explicitly shoot the wall underneath the cage in order to raise the platform needed to reach the door. You can easily kill the imps inside the cage also without triggering this shoot switch, it's quite confusing :( On PC it appears to work differently as bullets passing through the cage will trigger the platform, and since most people will kill the imps inside it never really caused confusion. Here's a video of someone playing (presumably in a PSX emulator) and punching this mystery switch after killing everything else: 

Spoiler

Here's a view of this switch from Doom Builder:

Spoiler

bug1.jpg.422a32b4fdf32a9829fe64289b2b1291.jpg

6 hours ago, Umbra said:

There's also that silly medkit floating in mid-air, but I added it just for the laughs.

Yeah that's also an original PSX bug, there's a glimpse of it in the following section of the same video:

Spoiler

And here's how the Medkit looks in Doom Builder. Notice how it's touching the central column. Presumably when that inner part raises some of the collision code bumps it up (as a nearby object) because of that:

Spoiler

bug2.jpg.43373227f8ed816e7c055a64088e8e61.jpg

6 hours ago, Umbra said:

It's been some time since I played the original PSX DOOM on a real hardware, so I was wondering if these are actual glitches or caused by the reverse-engineering? Same question goes for attacks going through enemies at times and switches/doors/key bars being a bit finnicky to trigger.

PsyDoom is very accurate at replicating most of this behavior from the original game, including collision funkiness and issues around switches and doors. If it's happening then it's more than likely in the original game too. I use a test suite of 194 demos covering an entire playthrough of every single level in both Doom and Final Doom (PAL and NTSC) in order to verify that the original exact behavior can be reproduced in PsyDoom. Since demos are recorded as just inputs for each frame, even the slightest deviation in behavior could cause any one of these to break and de-sync. In some cases I've made a few select bug fixes that do affect demo compatibility but these can all be disabled if desired, or when replaying original demos.

Thanks for the quick reply. I loved what you did with this reverse-engineering. I had a blast playing through PSX again on PC with this level of accuracy. Great job!

12.06.2021 в 19:16 Шокан Конг сказал:

12.06.2021 в 19:16 Шокан Конг сказал:

1 hour ago, SteelPH said:
  Hide contents

6S5zHwH.png

Only one pillar in Command Center actually lowers here.

That happens in the original hardware as well. For some odd reason, sectors can get stuck trapping monsters inside (Deepest Reaches from Final Doom is another case)

2 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

That happens in the original hardware as well. For some odd reason, sectors can get stuck trapping monsters inside (Deepest Reaches from Final Doom is another case)

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the heads up.

4 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Only one pillar in Command Center actually lowers here.

Thanks for pointing out @SteelPH. As Impboy mentioned this bug also occurs in the original game, and can be seen via various playthroughs on YouTube. The issue is a map bug, where the 2nd Baron is sticking into the ceiling:

mapbug.jpg.e27fb9315feefd8d5cad3f5679bb969d.jpg

The floor mover won't lower because it's set to not crush, and it thinks it's crushing the Baron by moving since the Baron doesn't fit within the sector height - so it just stops. It's a slight flaw in the floor movement logic but mainly a map bug. The Baron only appears on Ultra Violence (or Nightmare on PsyDoom) so if you use a lower difficulty then it should lower correctly.

Right. It's been a while since I played on actual hardware.

Keep up the great work though. Loving the port so far.

Just checked the Automap and it seems that colors used are no longer from DOOM palette, but 255-0-0 for walls, 0-255-0 for player and 0-255-255 (that teal color from MS Windows, unlike light blue) for things, etc. Possible to bring the classic colors (from DOOM palette) back? 

12 hours ago, lafoxxx said:

Just checked the Automap and it seems that colors used are no longer from DOOM palette, but 255-0-0 for walls, 0-255-0 for player and 0-255-255 (that teal color from MS Windows, unlike light blue) for things, etc. Possible to bring the classic colors (from DOOM palette) back? 

Thank you for reporting this issue! You are indeed correct; I double checked PsyDoom against the Avocado emulator and there was some discrepancy with the line colors on the automap. Turns out there was a slight bug with the handling of color values for untextured geometry that was affecting the automap. This should be fixed in the next build.

2 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Lua

Lua scripting, too?

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/blob/master/docs/PsyDoom Lua Scripting.md

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting the SCRIPT lump before the map header. Every other lump additions have been tacked on at the end... Note that there's also the possibility of doing like FraggleScript and putting the script code inside the map header.

22 hours ago, Gez said:

Yeah the aim of it is to give the PSX engine some of the same capabilities that the Doom 64 macro system has. It's mainly intended for scheduling a series of line specials (with delays in between) or multiple specials to happen at once, providing more flexible ways to modify sectors and that sort of thing. The scope is deliberately limited to those use cases.

22 hours ago, Gez said:

I'm not sure I like the idea of putting the SCRIPT lump before the map header. Every other lump additions have been tacked on at the end...

PsyDoom doesn't actually care where the lump is in the map WAD, it's just for the benefit of PSX Doom Builder (from the GEC ME project) which will not recognize the map format unless it's placed at that position. Perhaps this restriction can be lifted in future for PSX DB, however...

22 hours ago, Gez said:

Note that there's also the possibility of doing like FraggleScript and putting the script code inside the map header.

I think I'd prefer to keep the scripts in a separate (and appropriately named) lump rather than repurposing and changing the meaning of an existing marker lump.

On 7/12/2021 at 5:10 PM, intacowetrust said:

The 0.8.0 release has just been put out on GitHub! It can be obtained from the usual place, on the 'releases' page:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases

This release focuses mainly on expanding the engine's capabilities for modding, removing limits and so on. Outside of this however there are still a few tweaks, bug fixes and other improvements that will be of interest to everyone. Here is the list of things which have changed:

Feature changes & improvements

• Literally everything I ever wanted

Nice stuff! With all of this I may try to make a semi-Doom 64 recreation in PsyDoom. Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into this!

Mapinfo.txt put folder maps and load psxdoom with datadir maps. not working maps name on level.

Mapinfo.png

Mapinfo.txt:

Map 1 "New Hangar Hack"
{
    Music = 0
    Cluster = 1
    SkyPal = -1
    PlayCdMusic = 0
    ReverbMode = 0
    ReverbDepth = 0x27FF
    ReverbDelay = 0
    ReverbFeedback = 0
}

Map 2 "Phobos Mission Control"
{
    Music = 0
    Cluster = 1
    SkyPal = -1
    PlayCdMusic = 0
    ReverbMode = 0
    ReverbDepth = 0x27FF
    ReverbDelay = 0
    ReverbFeedback = 0
}

17 hours ago, Wavy said:

Nice stuff! With all of this I may try to make a semi-Doom 64 recreation in PsyDoom. Thanks for all of the hard work you've put into this!

Thank you! Hoping this opens up a few more possibilities for modding and extending PSX Doom.

2 hours ago, Chris0neilson said:

Its working. put mapinfo.txt into psxdoom_ext.wad in folder maps. Use psxdoom_ext load game.

Yeah that's correct, the 'MAPINFO' lump along with most of the other new lumps (except 'SCRIPTS') must be in a main IWAD file. This can either be a modified version of the original 'PSXDOOM.WAD' or (preferably) one of the 2 current 'extension' IWADs searched for by PsyDoom, 'PSXDOOM_EXT.WAD' or 'PSX_MISSING_ENEMIES.WAD'. More on this here: https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/blob/d5510debcad08c50777e4257936e20da033ebc0a/docs/PsyDoom Modding Overview.md#Extension-IWADS