Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_Trve_Raith

Favorite Metal subgenres?

Hello Doomers and Metalheads.

The title really says all about this post, what Metal subgenre's do you like?

I'm personally mainly into Black Metal, Death Metal, Thrash Metal, and Speed Metal.

Classic death metal from Florida, some black metal, some nu metal, blackened death, 80s thrash, classic 80s heavy metal, neo-classical, grindcore, stoner metal, some progressive, all the proto-metal bands, some groove metal, hell even some djent.

I guess it's somewhere in between Progressive, Melodic Death and Doom. Most bands I really like fit those labels to different degrees. 

Whatever genre Jinjer is supposed to be.  I think "Progressive groove metal" is the term they use.

I also like Folk Metal and Neue Deutsche Härte.

Crossover thrash all the way, because I'm really a punk rocker, so gimme summa dat Accused, Agnostic Front and Siberian Meat Grinder! But also some classic '80s Doom like Trouble, some NWOBHM, especially Motorhead, Girlschool and Tank, and then mostly individual bands like Metal Church, Metallica, and so on. And, of course, the originators -- Jimi Hendrix, Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath. And yeah, I know Jimi and Blue Cheer were really Heavy Acid Blues, but that's where metal came from. ;)

Black metal tends to be the most interesting and appealing stuff for me, although you never know where you're going to find a cool artist or album. Been listening to a lot of Voivod lately, which has made me interested in learning more about 80's thrash. Lamp of Murmuur and Grim Tormentor are two current black metal projects that have caught my ear, fwiw

Death metal in most of its varieties tends to be my go-to. I do tend to favour the progressive, technical, brutal and dissonant flavours over the rest, though. Dissonant death (and some black) metal in particular has fascinated me for quite some time; there's something special about discovering order amidst a sea of chaos, weaving twisted melody from discord. It feels like music to struggle against in a bid to keep your head above its surface, lest you drown within. Ad Nauseam, Aseitas, BufihimatUlcerate and Warforged tend to be my favourites when it comes to this style.

Edit: Links added.

Edited by AD_79

21 minutes ago, Decay said:

Blackened folk. Moonsorrow is probably my favourite band with V: Havitetty as one of my favourite albums of all time, along with Agalloch's The Mantle

Agalloch is probably the only black metal band on my list but, The Mantle is a masterpiece for sure. 

Progressive Metal [Band example: Dream Theater]

Progressive Death Metal [Band example: Opeth]

Progressive Power Metal (favorite!) [Band example: Pagan's Mind]

Power Metal [Band example: Dragonforce]

What can I say. I love prog.

I don't listen to a lot of metal, but I think anything that has a sort of groove and memorable melody or riff will catch my ear. Doom 2016 and Eternal's soundtracks are no exception.

Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Industrial Metal seem to be the subgenres I listen to most.

I do know what metal subgenres I don't like, and those would be black and death metal (and their variants). Not particularly fond of those single-octave, 300BPM-blast-beat scream songs. haha

Death Metal and it's subgenres (brutal, technical, slam, deathgrind, oldschool, etc), Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Stoner and some Black Metal lately (Mayhem, Taake).

love sludge and doom, the more feedback the better, the more groove the better. im a grind person and a funk person, when a metal band get precise and regimented I kinda get turned off. just my preference!

Melodic and symphonic probably. But I will give anything a chance to anything that does not have either a near constant unchanging drum beat or constant growling and/or screaming. I find the unchanging drum beats of some metal songs tiresome and obnoxious, the screaming gets on my nerves, and the growling equal parts comical and boring. 99% of the time it sounds more like a cartoon character to me and thus I find it impossible to take seriously. A little bit of screaming or growling here and there for emphasis on some parts is fine but if it's the whole song, hard pass.

According to Last.fm @ www.last.fm/user/Mayonezman

image.png.50e695ecfe51d0d59b95b063f26fa5be.png

Edit: Not really updated much cause i've not been scrobbling from mobile phone for a while

Powermetal, acquired taste in black metal,  oh i dunno what genre it is but what band "SLIFT" in "UMMON" album did.

And , a special place in my heart for "WIND ROSE" and "ALESTORM".

Edited by INfront95

I love thrash metal, like Metallica and Megadeth, 90s death metal, like Death and Sepultura, and industrial stuff like Nine Inch Nails. (I say industrial "stuff" because I don't know if people would be like, "they're not metal!")

Death, specifically late 80s early 90s death. Think Death, Cannibal Corpse, Cynic, Nocturnus, Bolt Thrower, Carcass...absolutely the golden age of death metal when it was both creative and pummeling. 

Always happy to see a lot of Thrash love, though I guess I shouldn't be too surprised haha. I mean, I am usually down for almost any kind of genre or subgenre or subsubgenre of metal to be honest, its really about how interesting they do it, but I will say my go-tos are usually Thrash, Sludge, and Doom. I will say, love more experimental shit, or stuff that kind of slams different things together (like Blackened folk, which I saw a few people mention so far), but have been LOVING post-metal or shoegaze black metal (Deafheaven gets way too much shit, or at least they did, don't know the consensus now.)

That's a tough one for me. There's so many different types of metal it's hard to pick. If i have to pick it would be

Industrial metal