Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

How to randomly generate a megawad that nobody would know is generated?

Hello all. I really want to create a good megawad, but unfortunately, it's too hard to do, as it requires putting a lot of effort, and I don't feel like putting effort in anything, you understand. So, is there a way to generate a good megawad, but without it giving away that it was generated by AI, so that I can present it as my own work? Last I've heard, people could somehow detect wads generated by OBLIGE. Is there a workaround to that, or perhaps someone made a better wad generator?

I'm really looking forward to your suggestions, especially if the generator you recommend will allow me to create a wad good enough for it win a Cacoward this year!

2 minutes ago, Li'l devil said:

Is there a workaround to that, or perhaps someone made a better wad generator?

I'm really looking forward to your suggestions, especially if the generator you recommend will allow me to create a wad good enough for it win a Cacoward this year!

There is actually some excellent software available, but I think it is proprietary right now

I heard that some people pre-made somo maps with OBLIGE, and then rework from there.

Its a good excersise on creativity as, for some, its easier to edit than built from the ground.

I think that, if you edit the maps enough, they still count as made by yourself; with a little help from your friend OBLIGE, but still made by yourself.

By enough i mean that they are varely recognizable from what they used to, and may just have an spatial similitude with what OBLIGE spitted out.

For an example of good edited map, check the first map of Short Maps for Short People by Datacore, and check then the first map of Tangerine Nightmare. Its the same map but edited by franckFRAG.

Just now, Doomkid said:

My whole wadography is just oblige maps no one noticed so I think ull be fine to just use oblige, or the older version called slime

If this is true, i will just end my life, dissapointed of me never getting into mapping like you, evil genius!
:(

42 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

If this is true, i will just end my life, dissapointed of me never getting into mapping like you, evil genius!

I do not think you should lie to the community that way, if you want something, but you do not want to strive for that, do not do it, the results of that are not usually good, if someone in any doom community finds something of Obsidian, they got angry.

47 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I heard that some people pre-made somo maps with OBLIGE, and then rework from there.

Its a good excersise on creativity as, for some, its easier to edit than built from the ground.

I think that, if you edit the maps enough, they still count as made by yourself; with a little help from your friend OBLIGE, but still made by yourself.

By enough i mean that they are varely recognizable from what they used to, and may just have an spatial similitude with what OBLIGE spitted out.

For an example of good edited map, check the first map of Short Maps for Short People by Datacore, and check then the first map of Tangerine Nightmare. Its the same map but edited by franckFRAG.

Its actually not a bad ideer. Even if the maps end up being totally different, then it would still be a way to kep the fire burning while working on it... Another option could be to just copy and paste bits from various random generated maps to create a map

45 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Don't worry... Oblige never stod a chance against Doomkid :-D

Making Doom levels is easy. Doom has a basic map structure and easy modding tools but it takes you back to the beginning of Doom. After using the various weapons and mechanics on that map, you will be done, but you don't go back to the start of Doom. As mentioned by the developers, Doom will become much less interesting once you get to 1v1, but not a pain, and the only real problem is getting there. And not only that, but Doom doesn't even seem to have the tools or skills to take down enemies you kill yourself. You will need to figure the best way to get to 1v1 and this has been a pain (especially after having spent a while on a game I didn't get anywhere near, yet a "good" level).

It's really hard to figure out what to do if you don't understand the map concepts, but that can be done.  Here's a video of how Doom will look on the game's page if you are on a lower-level server. I hope this makes some people less worried. It really does work.  While this game looks almost exactly like the way I did it on 4Chan, it has so much more, and I hope more people are starting to see those kinds of visuals in the next version of Doom. Also, if you are interested, you can get more details and videos on youtube at the end of this post.

This... is art! I love it!

On the topic though: there are many programs out there to generate a good map, but megawads... I'm not sure, sorry. I know the feeling when you have 32 awesome generated maps but you have to string them together... and also write the mapinfo. Terrible!

1 minute ago, Csucskos said:

This... is art! I love it!

On the topic though: there are many programs out there to generate a good map, but megawads... I'm not sure, sorry. I know the feeling when you have 32 awesome generated maps but you have to string them together... and also write the mapinfo. Terrible!

I know the feeling when you have 32 awesome generated Doom maps for the team. However, I'm curious to see what your thoughts on the way we work, as we are very well built, especially compared to our competitors. Can you talk a little bit about the idea of your "Infinitro"-inspired maps? I'm sure people like to use these things because they show the player how to make the map feel. And like I said, it also gives a little more motivation to do something in a project.

This, and being more mature in my approach and mindset, I like to use some of these maps to try and develop a bit more as an engine. So, I thought it was a good idea to just play the original Doom game with it, and give it some inspiration. So, that kind of helped me develop your maps, too. That's why I have a feeling of that, more fun for you and other people, in the game.

It also helped me make an appearance at Quakecon 2014, when all of my teammates at the QuakeWorld Summit had great gaming time together. That's been a lot of fun. We've come out and done a couple of big demos, but we've also been doing some work on other projects as well. We also made our own graphics card for the game, our game's called "Zoom", which will be based on DICE's "Star Wars Doom 2"!

Why don't you just take the time to make brand new levels? Sure, there's nothing wrong w/ Slige/Oblige, or any other map generator - but I've got a pretty astute eye - as well as a ton of other doomers on here. Even if you re-textured everything, and substantially changed the generated geometry, I still think many people would notice they're generated maps.

Also, nothing wrong w/ starting w/ a smaller 8-9 map episode - (that's what I originally did) don't think you need to pop out a megaWAD so quickly - it isn't the be-all-end-all of mapping. Mapping isn't hard, but it is time consuming - my megaWAD took 145 hours to make - from beginning to end - and that was for a deathmatch megaWAD - which I think takes less time on average per map than single-player maps.

My point is, it may be appealing to try to find a 'shortcut' to mapping - but, generated maps aren't it. You'll improve your skills far more drastically by just getting in the mappin' trenches and getting dirty. There really is no shortcut here - you just need to put in the time.

You just have to believe you can do it! I believe you can! :)

1 hour ago, Li'l devil said:

I don't feel like putting effort in anything, you understand.

I don't understand. If you're too lazy, then you can simply do nothing.

If i would make a map, i would proudly put all my effort. Even if it would turn bad, i would valuate experience.

Getting maps generated, releasing it as your own "work" (what is lying) is completely pathetic in my point of view. At least you was honest and warned me to avoid anything you release.

This would be fine, right up until you said you wanted to do this so you could pass it off as your own work. That isn’t cool and nobody would fall for it anyhow, at least one person will know and they will analyze every sector piece by piece and ridicule you into the ground for claiming it as work of your own, making you wish you had just attempted to make the levels on your own in the first place. So just don’t do that honestly. 

5 minutes ago, roadworx said:

omg this is so obviously a joke, how are you people taking it seriously

The cacoward line gives it away - but hey, there's still some good advice in this thread. :)

I know the way which could help you!

1) You need a Wolfenstein 3D map generator.

2) You need a converter from Wolf3D maps to Doom maps.

3) Generate a Wolfenstein 3D campaign

4) Convert this campaign into Doom levels

5) ??????
6) CACOWARD!

999) Don't forget to say that it will work perfectly with Brutal Doom.

Well, a joke is supposed to be funny. If this is just a joke; then what exactly is the point in this thread? Did you want advice on mapping or level generating software, or is this just to waste a little time out of our days? 

I’m all for jokes but there are pretentious people in the world that truly feel just like the OP, not wanting to put any effort into anything but want all the credit for themselves, so it’s a very real thing. 

35 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I know the feeling when you have 32 awesome generated Doom maps for the team. However, I'm curious to see what your thoughts on the way we work, as we are very well built, especially compared to our competitors. Can you talk a little bit about the idea of your "Infinitro"-inspired maps? I'm sure people like to use these things because they show the player how to make the map feel. And like I said, it also gives a little more motivation to do something in a project.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla augue neque, ultrices quis pharetra eu, suscipit in sapien. Aenean sit amet sapien et leo maximus consectetur. Quisque et gravida purus. Curabitur dui purus, molestie vel semper congue, dignissim ut sapien. Proin elementum ornare neque, ac varius lacus bibendum at. Donec in maximus dui. Quisque eu mauris lectus. Ut dapibus malesuada diam, varius commodo metus cursus eget. Etiam tortor ipsum, ornare ut lacus vitae, dictum tempor ligula. Suspendisse consequat elementum nisi, ac pharetra dolor consectetur ac. Etiam tempor, turpis ut volutpat dignissim, nibh elit aliquam leo, id eleifend justo enim sed libero. Proin eu consequat tortor. Phasellus fringilla nulla elit, vitae posuere neque porta dapibus. Proin non augue facilisis, iaculis nisi quis, consequat eros.

Donec viverra erat quis mi aliquam, vel dignissim diam fermentum. Sed pellentesque id odio at pretium. Donec quis sollicitudin purus. Integer ac felis vel sem scelerisque consequat. Nulla facilisi. Integer bibendum metus in eleifend congue. Nam a urna porttitor, efficitur ante non, feugiat eros. Donec hendrerit ligula magna, eu porta nibh lobortis vel. Maecenas euismod libero sed magna suscipit, a maximus nunc facilisis. Ut et elementum nisl, sit amet ornare odio. Sed sollicitudin vitae sem id fringilla. Pellentesque non blandit risus. Vivamus ante elit, porttitor at sem at, mattis gravida nisl. Aenean feugiat euismod massa, at aliquam justo pharetra id. Donec vulputate urna pharetra commodo vulputate.

:)

13 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

Well, a joke is supposed to be funny. If this is just a joke; then what exactly is the point in this thread? Did you want advice on mapping or level generating software, or is this just to waste a little time out of our days? 

someone's upset that the joke flew over their head :p

13 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

I’m all for jokes but there are pretentious people in the world that truly feel just like the OP, not wanting to put any effort into anything but want all the credit for themselves, so it’s a very real thing. 

you're right, those people exist, but those people are also very obviously not self-aware enough to say "it's too hard to do, as it requires putting a lot of effort, and I don't feel like putting effort in anything, you understand."

Edited by roadworx

As a test, I wanted to see if my posting could be replaced by an AI in the same way mappers are soon to be replaced by it. While the results are dodgy currently, I can’t help but think with more development we’ll soon be seeing AI generated content of all sorts that rivals what humans make organically, which is a mix of exciting, fascinating and scary. Doom maps are not being made to get any more updates or anything, but otherwise a good app for you travelling to the new game. I’m sorry to say this but it’s still fun to play with friends and family and people who have been playing for years and have been a good person to get the hang of it 

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

As a test, I wanted to see if my posting could be replaced by an AI in the same way mappers are soon to be replaced by it. While the results are dodgy currently, I can’t help but think with more development we’ll soon be seeing AI generated content of all sorts that rivals what humans make organically, which is a mix of exciting, fascinating and scary. Doom maps are not being made to get any more updates or anything, but otherwise a good app for you travelling to the new game. I’m sorry to say this but it’s still fun to play with friends and family and people who have been playing for years and have been a good person to get the hang of it 

so this is why your posts are making zero sense, gotcha

15 minutes ago, roadworx said:

someone's upset that the joke flew over their head :p

you're right, those people exist, but those people are also very obviously not self-aware enough to say "it's too hard to do, as it requires putting a lot of effort, and I don't feel like putting effort in anything, you understand."

Good point. 

Just you wait roadworx! for the time being the free tools available mostly spit out gibberish, but It won’t be too long (assuming we don’t kill ouselves off, which is a bold assumption) til that AI can generate perfect reproductions of any given person’s posting habits, mapping style, musicianship and everything else! in just a few years the development has been rapid. It’s a brave new world.. 😳 

dont mind me just appearing in this thread before it gets send to oblivion 

2 hours ago, Li'l devil said:

You should have started in November then so you had the most time to be elligible for this years awards.

I have been told that imagination is a great map generator. It may take some time as it comes with many parameters, but the program is versatile enough to adjust to differing playstyles.

37 minutes ago, roadworx said:

omg this is so obviously a joke, how are you people taking it seriously

Its the day before Friday. Also people take extremely common questions also seriously.

31 minutes ago, Gerolf said:

Well, a joke is supposed to be funny.

The joke is that the OP is mocking other OP's who put no effort in their threads, disguised as a joke.

12 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

As a test, I wanted to see if my posting could be replaced by an AI in the same way mappers are soon to be replaced by it.

Vanilla DoomKid has several limits. But there is D-HAXED to atleast replace parts of your posts with new words so that they have a different emotional response to other people.

Guys this has inspired, what I believe to be a very creative community project.

Generate a map using a complex seed, see which interesting or anomalous results come out, recreate interesting findings in your own style.

No?

Ok, another idea, how about we use something crazy, send me something odd like, I dunno, the long number on the front of your card, maybe we could try the expiration date... Oh yeah let's not forget the 3 numbers on the back too. I'll generate maps with this and make em real good, promise.

Edited by mrthejoshmon