Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ketmar

k8vavoom: no good thing ever dies!

thank you all! and to all others who may write after this message, in case i won't notice something in time (which may happen, you know ;-).

those with GNU/Linux can always build the latest thing from the source code, but i have some small gift for all others... yeah, another k8vavoom public binaries!

this time the archive is on catbox.moe, because it become too big to upload to DW. sorry.

highlights:
* properly working rotation for complex 3d polyobjects
* flat decals, bootprints, and terrain step sounds
* aliases with arguments, and cvar substitution
* option to use raw mouse input (on by default)
* various options like "no shadow" for static light things

brief changelog:

Spoiler

* fixed bug with loading 3d polyobjects from the savegame (z offset was ignored)
* added *VERY* *EXPERIMENTAL* palette tonemap mode
* implementation of floor and ceiling decals (spreading is not fully finished yet)
* with gore mod player can leave "bootprints" now
* use shaders to apply global colormap instead of texture reuploading
* added `A_SetDecal()` and `A_SetFlatDecal()` DECORATE actions
* added `A_SprayDecal()` decorate API (and various vector/angle functions for decorate too)
* ACS "set line special" fix (translate various "ACS_NamedExecute" kinds)
* oops, i accidentally Strife; now it works again
* slightly better ML_RAILING processing (should be more reliable)
* fixed GAMEINFO lump processing (iwad could be ignored sometimes)
* Windows binary should always store config in the directory where .exe is (thanks, boris!)
* fixed bugs in `PCD_SpawnDirect` and `PCD_SpawnSpotDirect` (forgot to skip bytecode arguments)
* minimap now shows map marks
* fixed stupid off-by-one bug in t-junction fixer (which caused random Space Ants sometimes)
* some fixes in vanilla floodfill bug detector
* implemented stepping sound TERRAIN extensions (it is now possible to define crouch/walk/step sounds for a given terrain)
* fixed bug with 3d pobj movement to the given spot (invalid vertical speed) (thanks, boris!)
* added gread 3d pobj demo map from boris
* sound menu: sf2 list is sorted now; also, don't forget current soundfont after the game restart
* made decals on switches more translucent (so switches won't be fully covered in blood)
* implemented additive decals
* implemented better support for some EDGE map features (thanks, Lobo!)
* do not apply extra player friction when the player is on a conveyor
* it is now possible to substitute cvars in commands with ${name} or $(name)
* aliases now can have arguments; substitute with ${1} and such (use "${1q}" for quoted arg; note the double quotes!)
* conditional console pseudocommands: "$if val ...", "$ifnot val ...", "$if_or val0 val1 ...", etc.
* rotated complex 3d polyobjects now will try to correct positions of carrying mobjs if they're stuck after the rotation
  (this can happen because mobj bounding boxes are axis-aligned); not the best implementation so far, but better than nothing ;-)
* experimental code for controller dead zones config (thanks, Lobo!)
* fixed segfault in MP with detached entities (thanks, Mr.Rocket!)
* fixed "-warp" command (thanks, Lobo!)
* added option to use relative mouse events (this is usially done via "raw" mouse input, and may work better with some OS/WM combinations) (new default mode)
* moved line special translation tables to separate config files
* implemented some light flags ("dontlightself", "dontlightactors", etc.); fixed bug with sprite self-lighting
* added option to keep weapon bobbing when firing (doesn't affect accuracy), see "misc options" menu
* more fixes to UDMF scaled texture offsets (thanks, Remilia Scarlet!)
* more 3D POBJ ACS API -- it is now possible to move and rotate 3d pobj with one function call (and spot angles will be used when moving to spots)
* implemented some missing flags in `A_Chase()` DECORATE action
* Point Light things now has optional 5th argument that controls shadowing (see specs for more info)
* fixed bug with sight checking and 3d floors (solid 3d floors was ignored)
* keep sky offset on lightning (and other sky texture changes)

I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find where to get the file.  I've tried going onto the catbox.moe homepage and can't find any option to search other people's downloads (I only get the option to add my own files).  Searches via Google and DuckDuckGo aren't revealing anything k8vavoom-related on catbox.moe.  I've tried browsing the github repository and can only find a .build download link which looks like it works only with Linux.  Have you a link to the new release?

37 minutes ago, ENEMY!!! said:

I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find where to get the file.  I've tried going onto the catbox.moe homepage and can't find any option to search other people's downloads (I only get the option to add my own files).  Searches via Google and DuckDuckGo aren't revealing anything k8vavoom-related on catbox.moe.  I've tried browsing the github repository and can only find a .build download link which looks like it works only with Linux.  Have you a link to the new release?

Its in the opening post with a clickable link that initiates the download.

Thanks for that, somehow I forgot about the idea of looking at the original post in this thread.  D'oh!

2 hours ago, ENEMY!!! said:

Thanks for that, somehow I forgot about the idea of looking at the original post in this thread.  D'oh!

mea maxima culpa. previous builds were uploaded to DW directly, and i don't know how to give links to DW uploads in different posts, so announces didn't had them. now i could give a direct link, but simply forgot to do it. sorry. will try to do it properly next time. ;-)

46 minutes ago, ketmar said:

mea maxima culpa. previous builds were uploaded to DW directly, and i don't know how to give links to DW uploads in different posts, so announces didn't had them. now i could give a direct link, but simply forgot to do it. sorry. will try to do it properly next time. ;-)

The attachment.php script can work as a clickable link. You just need to add it under any kind of text (It does work without but this is rarely seen).

Sadly there is no dedicated attachment search or browser. If there is one QoL option to add to DW, that would be it. The amount of now hard-to-find stuff would make things infinitely easier.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:20 PM, ketmar said:

* fixed bug with sight checking and 3d floors (solid 3d floors was ignored)

So glad this was fixed. Thanks for the update Ketmar.

48 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

So glad this was fixed. Thanks for the update Ketmar.

thank you too for trying k8vavoom!

and people, please, don't hesitate to report bugs here. i cannot guarantee that i will fix everything for the next build, but your reports help me to setup bug priorities! ;-)

so, i fixed dates inside, and forgot to fix the thread title. lol.

i really wish to have Teh Official Forum API, so i could write some scripts for that. (yeh, i know that i can reverse-engineer it; sorry, too lazy. ;-)

thank you. catbox is down, it happens sometimes. if it won't go up in a day or two, i'll look for another hosting.

Ketmar this port is incredible! I'm thinking about a version of Angry Quilt geared towards K8Vavoom sometime in the future.

Keep me posted whenever there's more ddf / edge support ;)

33 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

Ketmar this port is incredible!

thank you! actually, current build is slightly buggy (we found a nasty bug right after publishing it, as it usually happens), but it shouldn't cause any segfaults or something, so i decided to not push a hotfix. don't worry, it should not affect physics or gamplay, only some text, and sometimes the engine may refuse to load some rare files. i don't think that anybody will notice.

35 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

Keep me posted whenever there's more ddf / edge support ;)

sure! i'm slowly working on it. don't expect any miracles, though -- i'm not sure yet if anything really interesting will happen (besides better support for EDGE specials), i am still in R&D stage. but if everything will go smooth, i hope to implement enough DDF support to run most EDGE mods... at least in some playable state.

40 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

I'm thinking about a version of Angry Quilt geared towards K8Vavoom sometime in the future.

you're welcome! if you'll have any questions, i'll be happy to answer! i tested my AQ submission with Crispy, because this was the target, but of course i played AQ in k8vavoom too, because i too used to play as Zan. ;-)

just added a simple Contrast Adaptive Sharpening filter. if you prefer to play with bilinear filtering for textures, it may make image slightly better.

bilinear, no cas:

Spoiler

78emuu.png

bilinear, with default cas:

Spoiler

j813eo.png

open images in fullscreen to see the difference. you'll see that faraway walls and floor are less blurry, and have more visual details (this is an illusion, of course, but you may like it ;-).

p.s.: also, added Quake-like underwater distortion effect (you can turn it off in video options, of course).

I think catbox might be down again, when i click the link the tab is blank and then after about a second it closes itself

6 minutes ago, jeremieh said:

I think catbox might be down again, when i click the link the tab is blank and then after about a second it closes itself

just checked: it works for me. maybe check your AV or other "safety guards" -- they may think that catbox is "bad site" (or they may don't like the archive with .exe inside, downloaded from "untrusted source").

as some (many?) people were complaining about "washed out" lighting, i implemented new lighting mode: "DarkDoom". it is more contrast, and should be much closer to Vanilla lighting.

original (Vavoom):

Spoiler

lkrplc.png

DarkDoom:

Spoiler

t14bnf.png

if you will run Vanilla (or PRBoom, etc.), you will see that "DarkDoom" is closer to their lighting model. also, in DarkDoom mode the player emits some light, so you could see something even in pitch-black rooms.

huge "thank you!" goes to GZDoom for the idea and some implementation details.

p.s.: this is experimental for now. this new lighting mode required alot of changes in rendering code and in shader code, so i didn't tried to fine-tune it yet. once i'll be sure that i didn't missed anything, it would be possible to add more knobs, and maybe implement some more lighting modes too.

the original Vavoom mode is default now, but expect this to change. i'll prolly switch the default to DarkDoom (maybe slightly improved) later, as it is more close to what most other sourceports are using.

if you're secretly creating maps for k8vavoom, you can ask me for test binaries in PM, to adjust your creations to new lighting. but maybe wait a little first, because i think i will be fine-tuning it for at least a week or so.

Edited by ketmar

On 7/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, ketmar said:

just checked: it works for me. maybe check your AV or other "safety guards" -- they may think that catbox is "bad site" (or they may don't like the archive with .exe inside, downloaded from "untrusted source").

ah that makes sense

i just tried it out and my only issue is that it doesn't seem to have widescreen support, no matter how much i fiddle around with the resolution and aspect ratio, apart from that, great port!

7 hours ago, jeremieh said:

it doesn't seem to have widescreen support, no matter how much i fiddle around with the resolution and aspect ratio

aspect ration calculation is... ahem... let's say it does something, but definitely not what it supposed to do. tbh, that code (aspect calculation) is a complete mess. as i am playing in 1280x1024 window, i keep telling myself: "ok, ok, i WILL fix it... later". ;-) sorry for this, i will eventually fix it. ;-)

oh... it works, but the image is distorted, right? it's not crashed or something, i hope? ;-)

and thank you for trying k8vavoom! stay with us on the dark side, we have shadows! ;-)

what happens is that when i finally got the window to go fullscreen, even when i entered 1920x1080 into the resolution boxes and changed the aspect ratio to 16x9, it still has black bars on the sides (i forgot the term for it)

43 minutes ago, jeremieh said:

it still has black bars on the sides (i forgot the term for it)

it is "letterbox". try to set "FS Letterbox" to "Off" in resolution menu, or try "real FS" instead of "scaled FS". letterbox should appear when you're using "scaled FS" (i.e. just a fullscreen window), and you set the resolution that doesn't cover the whole window. the engine has nothing to render on the sides, and so it simply draws nothing there. scaling the image will distort it, hence the letterbox.

it worked, thanks!  Now that I managed to get it running, my only complaint (more of a dumb nitpick, really) is that performance can take a bit of a drag at times, even on a vanilla map like underhalls with mostly default options

Edited by jeremieh