Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawk of The Crystals

What are you currently reading?

Hey there, I'm just here to give this thread life. But, I'd like to hear about whatever book, comic book/graphic novel, or manga you're reading currently.

Currently, I'm reading I have no mouth and I must scream; way to give myself an existential crisis lmao.

1 hour ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Currently, I'm reading I have no mouth and I must scream; way to give myself an existential crisis lmao.

Good old Harlan Ellison. I read that book in the '70s. Some very raw stuff in the title story. I was also fortunate enough to hear Harlan do a live reading of Shatterday at the 1976 Star Trek Convention in Chicago.

As for my current reading, it's The Past Through Tomorrow, a massive collection of short stories by Robert A. Heinlein. Just started, but it's very good. Heinlein's very first sale -- and very first piece of fiction -- Life-Line, is brilliant.

Just before starting the Heinlein, I read The Border, by Don Winslow, a harrowing, informative, and occasionally moving story of The War on Drugs. I'm far too lazy to write about its complex plot and ginormous cast of characters, but suffice to say that this is incredible stuff. I received it as a gift from a friend, and it's the capstone of a trilogy. Now, having read the end, I'm going to read the first two novels.  ;D

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

...Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami.

I read 'Dance Dance Dance' by him. I remember it being really good - but not much more than that lol.

2 hours ago, Arrowhead said:

I read 'Dance Dance Dance' by him. I remember it being really good - but not much more than that lol.

My fave author. Its a big book, but 1Q84 is brilliant.

"The Killer's Shadow" by John Douglas, one of my biggest heroes.

I was reading the LotR books but then I needed to read two other ones and I haven't read The Two Towers or The Return of the King because probbly those two books got me bad, I guess, I actually liked one but I didn't finished it, the closest to reading now is playing some of these interactive novels/choice-of games like The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante (which is a visual novel, because it has drawings to visualize what's happening on the scene, but it reads like a novel) and the Infinity saga (it only has two games completed and one on beta, the games are Sabres of Infinity and Guns of infinity, while the beta one is Lords of Infinity). 

I've been reading old copies of Shadis magazine, a RPG supplement based around a fantasy setting of the author's creation. it's nice. the stories are better than the supplements, though - you can tell the authors are steeped in genre stuff so the prose is convincing, but the ideas for your own campaigns they offer are shallow in the areas you want em to be interesting in. gonna keep checking later episodes though, it might grow into some gnice. already a fan of Dragon magazine n stuff, this is sort of a lesser but still worthwhile version of that mag.

in terms of books, I've got so many lying around in stacks but haven't opened any of them for a while. Wanting to re-read a bunch of Neal Stephenson and China Mieville novels but I havent convinced myself to actually do that lol

11 hours ago, roadworx said:

the doomworld forums

books are for nerds

How in the world did you manage to get a custom title, pal? :O
Oh wait, almost all that posted here has a custom title now!
What the...?!?!

EDIT: now i have one, too :D

Aside from that, i think most of us here are nerds :P

Or geeks...

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

Blindness by José Saramago, as recommended by @P41R47.

Ohhhh, thats a rough one!!! :D
I still have some awfully powerful memories from it dwelling on my mind.

How its going for you?

A few days back i finished ''Demons'' by Dostoievski, and the next day, ''Lyrical Keys'' by Ramon M. del Valle-Inclán.
Demons is one of those books that you don't want to complete it, just because it means that you will lose contact with great characters. I experience this on just a few books, and i love when that happens.
The story of the book is about a pseudo revolution being orchestrated by a group of carefree and easy going nobles that only want to bring down Russia just because they can. Nihilism to the max.
The book deals with the responsability of the parents of those guys and how the last generation led the current one become ''demons'', metaphorically speaking, themeselves.

As for Lyrical Keys, its the collected poetry of Valle-Inclán, a spanish author from the decadent/modernist times of Spain.
The book has inside the three only poetry books the author ever wrote. The first two ones are ok, dealing with the usual subjects of poetry: love, seasons, and so.

But the last poetry book of the collection is a great achievement, totally changing the subjects at hand: friendship, nationalism, satirical, jokes, critisism, and more.

Good material for sure.

Today i tried to start reading a book called ''Modern Turkish Literature'', but i had a sneezing attack, and i couldn't stop my nose from being a leaking faucet all the time, so i had to desist from start reading it.

I don't want to stain it with my boogers.
:/

Edited by P41R47

Currently: "Cary Grant: A class apart," which is an autobiography of Cary Grant. Wonderful and fascinating read, about a world that is sadly, long gone.

Recently: Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. Astonishing reading about a near future catastrophe. Far better than the usual cheesy storylines associated with such things.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Ohhhh, thats a rough one!!! :D

I still have some awfully powerful memories from it dwelling on my mind.

How its going for you?

I'm enjoying it so far, a powerful read and particularly relevant in the current climate.

The Old Testament World by Philip Davies and John Rogerson, a quick overview of the political, religious, social etc. conditions that the Old Testament was written in. The difference in the way that religion was actually practiced back then compared to how it was depicted in the bible always fascinated me so this is just feeding the curiosity.

Gosh, I've been trying to read Perdido Street Station for years now, but . . . let me just say that I don't think fantasy or sci-fi need to 'elevate' themselves above the implied inferiority of 'genre fiction'. I made it through The Etched City, hoping it would grow on me, but honestly I'd rather re-read Hawkmoon and Corum, or Conan, or Barsoom, or The Silmarillion, or anything else earnestly joyful and unpretentious.

I recently re-read Good Omens, and I really don't think it's very good. I admire Gaiman's craftsmanship even though his work doesn't speak to me, and I love Terry Pratchett, but for me the collaboration is the worst of both worlds. I think the streaming series did a great job of rearranging the good elements into something more compelling.

I also just finished volume 1 of Marx's Capital. The beginning is a little difficult, with all the talk of trading coats for watches and so forth, but once I realized he needed to differentiate between price ('exchange value') and utility ('use value') before the rest of his argument could proceed, it was smooth sailing. Jesus I'm glad I wasn't born in 19th-century England.

I'm re-reading Dune currently. It's very interesting revisiting it for the first time in ten years. The phrase 'neoliberal horror show' keeps popping into my head, but there's so much about it that I still deeply enjoy and admire. I do think it's about five times longer than it needs to be, though.

9 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

Gosh, I've been trying to read Perdido Street Station for years now, but . . . let me just say that I don't think fantasy or sci-fi need to 'elevate' themselves above the implied inferiority of 'genre fiction'.

I actually have read that and I enjoyed it but the world building was definitely better than the plot. Some great scenes though.