Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

Why I left this community.

@AkiraZXE if you have something specific you would like to complain about, please message one of the mods instead of being vague and further derailing the thread.

Doomkid, please drop it as well.

No further derails, please.

2 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I was thinking the same thing. I really like the idea of a title being earned. Even titles such as "Senior Member" denotes a long term input into the community, and is worthy of acknowledgement. But at the same time I like the idea of being able to style yourself and your 'image' on forums.

There are both pro's and cons. Like you i like the idea of earned titles. At the same time, this idea was clearly rooted in the past.

I have changed mines to something to make it clear what my sideshow is in the DW community. Given that the Wiki is picking up speed and attention, visibility as to whom to contact with for help or suggestions would be useful.

1 hour ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I just think notable contributions are worthy of acknowledgement. So people like CodeImp or Skillsaw or Gez (and myriad others,) deserve being honored by the community for their contributions, and having that reflected in their public status. Not only post count, which is probably the lowest form of 'achievement' or somesuch.

Mad Butcher, for example, could be elligible for having an immense archive, and Randy87 for probably the largest, aswell as his IDA Database on the Doom executables.

1 hour ago, dmslr said:

Yep, exactly. Gez is a fcking legend. They deserve to be acknowledged by newcomers.

Gez basically is a human DoomWiki. And that's not mean't negatively - It just says a lot about how he achieved such knowledge: with meticulate precision.

This thread reminds me of that "if my posts were worth reading you wouldn't have to scroll to the right" title this forum used to have for some troublesome members. Just be glad you never got one of those, OP. Also super happy about the custom title thing now. My current one comes from a funny line in the game Malice which I played recently but I'll probably change it to "A secret is revealed" eventually since it fits my Doomwiki stuff more.

EDIT: On mobile it doesn’t look like you can see titles btw. Just found this out.

EDIT 2: Goodbye Malice reference.

Edited by NuMetalManiak

8 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

This thread reminds me of that "if my posts were worth reading you wouldn't have to scroll to the right" title this forum used to have for some troublesome members. Just be glad you never got one of those, OP. Also super happy about the custom title thing now. My current one comes from a funny line in the game Malice which I played recently but I'll probably change it to "A secret is revealed" eventually since it fits my Doomwiki stuff more.

they used to give people pagestretchers as titles? that's a bit fucked, thank god they've stopped that

9 hours ago, Lüt said:

Therefore, I've enabled the ability for all users with more than 4 posts (our default spam cutoff) to set their own titles, so if you don't like your current one you can go ahead and change it.

Why? I kinda liked earning this the old fashion way.

Oh well. *shrug* Carry on.

10 hours ago, Lüt said:

Therefore, I've enabled the ability for all users with more than 4 posts (our default spam cutoff) to set their own titles, so if you don't like your current one you can go ahead and change it.

Just go to your profile, click the "Edit Profile" button at the top right, and it'll be the second option.

This is beautiful, very appreciated Lut

5 minutes ago, Liberation said:

Been waiting nearly 21 years for a custom title, and now I can actually do it myself.. I have no idea what to write :-)

"I waited 21 years for this?"

Honestly I personally agree Titles being something like a nickname that others give you, hence something the mods give you. Probably because me and my friends used to call each other all sorts of stupid shit and it was all in good fun. I remember getting and giving out nicknames at school which might be considered very hurtful in a vacuum but we didn't really care because at the end of the day, it was all done in good fun. Ironically the nickname at school I absolutely hated were one's given by people I didn't like. From the tone and the behavior in interactions, it was clear that the nickname was given to demean even though the nickname itself was not something that seems negative just by looking at it.

Nicknames I gave and friends gave me in good fun that we just laughed about and didn't mind at all (Translated): Brain Damaged, Kid, Evil

Nickname given to demean and was insulting not because of the word itself but because of the tone in which it was used: Packet

Now while having normally insulting nicknames given in jest IRL and everyone can laugh about is all fine and good, it becomes a lot harder to differentiate on the internet when you don't have the tone and body language to go off of. The problem becomes even more complicated when you take into account all the new people that'll see the nickname with no context.

I personally think @bLOCKbOYgAMES solution was the best but then again, a lot of people seem really happy with the change so that's always worth it. If people are happy with changing/setting their own titles then I don't see any harm in that. Awesome change by Lut

24 minutes ago, Liberation said:

Been waiting nearly 21 years for a custom title, and now I can actually do it myself.. I have no idea what to write :-)

Spoiler

1000 - 2499 : Senior Member
2500 - 3999 : Forum Staple

When you get to 2487 posts, you could give yourself the title of "Forum Staple." This is 13 posts earlier than you would have got that title under the old system.

What a time to be alive!

(That said, 21 years is a long time!) Wow. :)

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The power... oh god the power!!!!

Wheeheeheeheee!Hold your horses, cowboy. :)

Takes me back, I think we used to to chat years ago, when I was part of the Player Connector community or thereabouts.

I really never got to know you (or I've merely forgotten); I don't see the community like many seem to, but I'm generally disillusioned nowadays 🤷, so ymmv.

2 hours ago, Liberation said:

''Finally Liberated''

7 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

This thread reminds me of that "if my posts were worth reading you wouldn't have to scroll to the right" title this forum used to have for some troublesome members. Just be glad you never got one of those, OP.

Not gonna lie, I actually find this one hilarious.

I remember there was someone I used to see quite regularly on this forum, quite influential from what I saw, who had as his title "knows his birth month," and had as his avatar some dude sitting there concentrating on something. I was always curious as to the origin of that title. Anyway, /fwiw.

39 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

I remember there was someone I used to see quite regularly on this forum, quite influential from what I saw, who had as his title "knows his birth month," and had as his avatar some dude sitting there concentrating on something. I was always curious as to the origin of that title. Anyway, /fwiw.

That would be @Never_Again :)

5 hours ago, Liberation said:

I had the same problem. I chose one that may be a little too obvious. My other idea was, "High Priest in The Church of Miley". ;)

Awesome, @Lüt, thank you! The moderator-prerogative custom title joke had died long ago, it was more fun when we were a smaller group and had more free time to see and know each other, so poking fun at each other was fair, but now we tend to visit Doomworld only occasionally, and the focus is more on content, less on who's who.

It's also great because I sorely missed the post signatures from the previous software, but being able to change my custom title (which, BTW, have always been useless for me as you mods chose them!) means I can do self-promotion there.

EDIT: aww, I can't turn them into web links, can I? :)

I look forward to checking the profile of some random member with twelve posts to see that they've changed their title to "Creator of GzDoom" or "Sandy Petersen OFFICIAL" or simply "Forum Legend".

I changed mine to "Severed Member".

1 minute ago, VanaheimRanger said:

Is this the thread to post in if you want a custom title, now?

You can do your own by going to "Edit Profile"

33 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I look forward to checking the profile of some random member with twelve posts to see that they've changed their title to "Creator of GzDoom" or "Sandy Petersen OFFICIAL" or simply "Forum Legend".

"Videogame Industry owner"

Think I'm gonna keep my custom title the way it is. I've had it for nearly a decade, and even though a mod bestowed it upon me as a joke from a post I made, I happen to think it's pretty badass.

EDIT: and for the record, I think @Lüt made the right call.

Ever since I joined this forum I'd been anticipating the day an admin might make a funny observation and set my custom title, and was both excited to see what it could possibly be and terrified that it'd be something I'd hate. Now that I have the power to set it myself I struggle to think of something that defines me on this forum...

Looks at personal messages

I think I found it.

(I've since changed my custom title, it originally said "First person to ever mention 'Girls und Panzer' on Doomworld")

Edited by Skeletonpatch

in 2012 I was Labeled as "Loser" once and Disabled to even read the Threads..... after unban I didn't post for some years out of Embarrassment....Remeber I even use to send Demos to Andy Via Email....your post remind me the Time when this game and this Community matters a lot in my life.....

This is awesome. Thanks so much, Lüt, and all of the administrators!

Also, it's good to have you here, @RestlessRodent. Reading the comments it seems unanimous that people are grateful for your contributions to this community.