Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

So Easy It's Simple

Check out this page for some info on what the author calls "the easiest launcher the world has ever seen!". If you're sick of that frickin run box or command prompt (and who isn't), then this may be what you've been waiting for. I haven't downloaded it myself yet, but the interface looks simple and non-cluttered, and you can use any port your little heart desires. Dude! Sweet! Not quite sure why the page wants me to set www.searchwww.com as my home page, but, uh, well just hit cancel.

Hmmm..well, I gave this badboy a whirl and well, it tis simple and easy, to the maaaax. :D
Good job to teh creator. :D
And to Cyb for notifying of it. :D

i like it too! it's really simple and easy to use!

actually i haven't tried it yet but i figure i may as well try to make this sound like a regular post as opposed to spam so i don't get banned again!

Despite the fact it opens in "c:\my documents" by default for file browsing, it won't load WADs from there. I'm guessing it doesn't like the spaces in the path name as it seems OK with non space paths. Being able to put " " round the file name would have sorted this, but you can't edit the names once they are committed the dialogue box.

A suggestion: The clear button is useful, but how about being able to clear one file at a time too? eg by selecting it and hitting del or maybe the clear button. That way you could easily remove 1 file that you may have added accidentally, or if your needs change when testing a series of wads. Same goes for the additional parameters I guess.

People may be interested in another launcher also taking the simple approach. It has a few wrinkles, but the author only started work on it a few days ago and does plan on ironing out the problems when time allows. It is intended as a zdoom launcher, but the simple version has been updated most recently and allows you to pick your exe. Unfortunately, this is not remembered in an ini, so it has to be done every time. I haven't spent so much time testing the fuller version because I like simple launchers.

http://republika.pl/zdoomworld/

it looks real nice, but VB does weird stuff to my PC and starts trying to install stuff... i got so pissed one day cos it was low on disk space and doing weird things trying to install word and what not that i started uninstalling things left and right and now every time a VB program runs it trys to install 3 old programs... also it wouldnt let me use an Iwad in another folder then the port.. non of my folders have spaces.. but it looks Easy and Simple :)

That interface looks a lot like mine.

But why is it 600 Kb? There are no images and it's only one screen!

Lobo said:

That interface looks a lot like mine.

But why is it 600 Kb? There are no images and it's only one screen!

Better think twice ... ummm ... heh ... runtimes?

...and where is the sourcecode of ESL, Lobo ???

nc_ds said:

I will never become sick of my beloved MS-DOS command prompt.

I thought that too, and it still has its place for me, but my habit is unzipping files to the desktop when I first DL them and playing them from there.

Typing

zdoom -file c:\windows\desktop\wad.wad

was OK, but with winXP typing

zdoom -file c:\docume~1\user\desktop\wad.wad (or whatever it is)

or

zdoom -file "c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\wad.wad"

is starting to piss me off. Either I change my habits, or I get a simple launcher.

i just made a batch file - you download a wad\wads into a certain folder and then run the .bat file i made it ask wad file name>(you add the name here eg cool.wad) and it runs it.
pretty simple stuff

The Experience said:

...and where is the sourcecode of ESL, Lobo ???

Eh? Source code? Why?

DOSKEY (or Linux's command buffer) and typed commands
do the job for me. :> And what about writing a simple
batch file or shell script?

Lobo said:

Eh? Source code? Why?

Oh, of course I don't want to explain the advantages of open source
here, they are already well known and approved.

...or is there something you have to hide ? :P

DOSKEY (or Linux's command buffer) and typed commands
do the job for me. :> And what about writing a simple
batch file or shell script?

As it figures, the simple launcher is a next generation BAT file !
Everybody still using pure command line these days must have
missed to hear the shot.

I made a VB launcher, but it's custom tailored to my needs. Which is how the best launchers are programmed anyway.

I made a VB launcher, but it's custom tailored to my needs

Hey, put it for download ! It will not hurt anybody !
At least great for some inspirating others

Which is how the best launchers are programmed anyway.

That was also how KDX was born.

The Experience said:

Hey, put it for download ! It will not hurt anybody !
At least great for some inspirating others

It's just a small window with command buttons and 1 text box for a wad name. All the paths to the programs are hard coded. So it wouldn't be very useful.

The Experience said:

Oh, of course I don't want to explain the advantages of open source
here, they are already well known and approved.

...or is there something you have to hide ? :P

Yes I do have something to hide... my lousy coding habits!! :P

At the moment I have no intention of releasing the ESL source code, but, one day, who knows?