Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

This probably SHOULD be said...

Probably green looks good on the cover picture, and they kept the same colour for consistency in multiplayer for the first player.

I imagine it's because green pops out near the red of hell, and while so would blue blue would blend in more in a lab, so green marine it is.

Actually, now that I think of it...

What does he do with the blue armor that he picks up, since he never wears it?

369909849296994340.png?v=1

9 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

For the matter, with there being no mirrors in the game, and the regular armour pick up being green...

Doomguy goes full commando!!!

Because he's an American Space Marine, and in 'Merica Green represents military.

9 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

Because he's an American Space Marine, and in 'Merica Green represents military.

image.png.e463c837990465de074bff721d992e2d.png

56 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

he absorbs the blue armor into his green armor like its food

2 hours ago, The BMFG said:

he absorbs the blue armor into his green armor like its food

What about the armor bonus? Does he wear over his standard issue space marine helmet. And if picks up more then one, does he just keep stacking them on his head or what?

22 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Terrifying bright green death.

If we still lived in those dark, dark days when mods chose our titles for us, and if hypothetically I was a mod, the take a wild guess what your new custom title would be?

14 hours ago, Gore said:

... the bright armor doesn't look good.

Bright green doesn't look good you say?

EJ8QzMt.png

I think I've made my point.

On topic, I figured that the bright green was because that armor was never designed to be genuine battle armor. It was the armor worn by security details on Mars, designed to work against thing like decompression, possibly a small rockslide, lesser injuries, and possibly a riot here or there. The bright colour was probably so that people were more visible while doing things that might be outright dangerous, isolated, or in places with low visibility, all of which are definite possibilities on Mars. It was never meant to be camouflage; quite the opposite in fact.

Now the blue armor? Why blue I hear you ask. Well this was due to the recent (in Doomguy's timeline) war on Neptune, and these dark blue armors were surplus from that conflict. So that is why there is lots of them lying around. Why blue? Because Neptune is blue. Why was there a war on Neptune? Because apparently oil was discovered there, and suddenly the UAC had to go bring democracy and freedom to Neptune.

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES

It's a color basically everyone can like(not 'girly' colors like purple or something and not as stark as red might be either), and the Space Marines thought camo was stupid.

2 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

It's a color basically everyone can like(not 'girly' colors like purple or something and not as stark as red might be either), and the Space Marines thought camo was stupid.

Dude, Doom came out in 1993. Wearing neon pink and green was still totally masculine and fine.

For objective proof of this, see the 1992 id software pictures, where Galaxy Brain John Carmack himself is wearing blue-and-pink pants or shorts.

wolf_notwearingpants-L.jpg

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Dude, Doom came out in 1993. Wearing neon pink and green was still totally masculine and fine.

For objective proof of this, see the 1992 id software pictures, where Galaxy Brain John Carmack himself is wearing blue-and-pink pants or shorts.

wolf_notwearingpants-L.jpg

Just to play devils advocate here, John Carmack doesn't strike me as the sort of guy to be exactly aware of fashion, and even by 80's standards, those shorts are... interesting. Note the others are all dressed in ways that would almost work today. Almost.

Remember the codename for Doom before it was officially announced? "It's Green And Pissed"? That's our Doomguy!

3 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Uh....not it wasn't. Don't tell me that you put Carmack's obvious -and somewhat effeminate- nerdiness, on par with Romero's macho latino "wifebeater" look?!

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Remember the codename for Doom before it was officially announced? "It's Green And Pissed"? That's our Doomguy!

I thought that would be SPISPOPD.

Edited by Maes

21 minutes ago, Maes said:

I thought that would be SPISPOPD (link fixed)

Well that's a lame name suggested by a fan to avoid generating hype, as a joke made after the official announcement.

Whereas "It's Green and Pissed" had been the traditional working name of id Software projects, since it served for both Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.

5 minutes ago, durian said:

Doomguy's armour is made entirely out of hemp.

Cos he Chase the Devil

off topic but in lore does doom guy change his armor to blue when he grabs the mega armor? i always though about that

19 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

What about the armor bonus? Does he wear over his standard issue space marine helmet. And if picks up more then one, does he just keep stacking them on his head or what?

imagine this hat in tf2 but replaced with armor bonuses. thats what doomguy does when he gets those250px-Towering_Pillar_of_Hats.png.f37fcba0a6dcb3393652b5a46e234d17.png

23 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

imagine this hat in tf2 but replaced with armor bonuses. thats what doomguy does when he gets those250px-Towering_Pillar_of_Hats.png.f37fcba0a6dcb3393652b5a46e234d17.png

This reminds me of how commonly in games you can just stack up boots after boots to gain increased speed or movement.

11 hours ago, Maes said:

Uh....not it wasn't. Don't tell me that you put Carmack's obvious -and somewhat effeminate- nerdiness, on par with Romero's macho latino "wifebeater" look?!

39488350865_5874a70c72_b.jpg

You can tell the dude in the blue jacket is the epitome of masculine, because he's got that sweet, sweet spiky mullet.

Flush please.

Edited by Dark Pulse

8 hours ago, PSXDoomer said:

Look at those EPIC colors. I remember it well! The 90's was quite a ride.

Fun fact: I occasionally work with teenagers, and I get a kick out of telling the ones who can handle a joke that the drugs were simply better in the late 80s/early 90s.

Then I show them pictures like that as proof.

Their eyes damn near pop out of their heads.

FUN FACT: that kind of fashion in the photo actually has heavy 1980s elements....yet it's not purely 80s (clothes are too baggy, so 1990s, though the hair is clearly 1980s). Well, Hell, I remember growing up the 1980s and 1990s, and  you only saw this kind of clothing in "hip" ads on Mickey Mouse magazines, on "Paninari", or in the "Acid Rave" subculture. It was that weird, short period between the 1980s and 1990s, where everything was possible :-)

Romero & co. look like much more normal early 1990s kids in comparison....with Carmack being a bit of the Alpha Nerd of the group, and Romero clealy being the "hip" guy.

17 minutes ago, Maes said:

FUN FACT: that kind of fashion in the photo actually has heavy 1980s elements....yet it's not purely 80s (clothes are too baggy, so 1990s, though the hair is clearly 1980s). Well, Hell, I remember growing up the 1980s and 1990s, and  you only saw this kind of clothing in "hip" ads on Mickey Mouse magazines, on "Paninari", or in the "Acid Rave" subculture. It was that weird, short period between the 1980s and 1990s, where everything was possible :-)

Romero & co. look like much more normal early 1990s kids in comparison....with Carmack being a bit of the Alpha Nerd of the group, and Romero clealy being the "hip" guy.

I'd personally place it around 1989-1992 for that sort of look.

Grunge took over in a hurry by 1993 and then everyone needed plaid flannels and acid-washed jeans with torn holes in the knees. Then in a few years came the fanny pack revolution... and the zubaz. But that's a tale for another time.

Also, don't be silly. Tom Hall is clearly the coolest kid on the block in that picture.

If anything, it's amazing that only Carmack wears glasses in this pic. Coding countless hours in front of that era's CRTs should have taken its toll on at least the most "senior" members of the team (though, looking at them, they all are pretty much young overachievers by most people's standards, even today O_o. IDK, I never thought that as a 14-yo, I obsessed over the work of a bunch of 20-24yos).

Ofc the rest of the team could have removed them just so they don't look like dorks in that pic, or they just didn't log that many burning CRT hours on the eye-o-dometer yet.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, Doomkid said:

Why does Doomguy and co wear such bright green armor?

I guess the UAC used a bright color to resist the heat of hell, Mars and its moons.