Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

What's your opinion on tagging nicknames in DW?

Is this feature overused? Are you annoyed when someone mentions you even when they aren't referring to you? Do you think it is necessary to tag your name whenever it is written in a post?

Edited by dmslr

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Is this feature overused? Are you annoyed when someone mentions you even when they aren't referring to you? Do you think it is necessary to tag your name whenever it was written in the posts here?

I personally feel like it's only useful to credit someone on your work, but in case of conversations, it's totally unnecessary since you can quote comments.

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Is this feature overused? Are you annoyed when someone mentions you even when they aren't referring to you? Do you think it is necessary to tag your name whenever it was written in the posts here?

I have mixed feelings about being tagged on this forum, or any forum, for that matter... It's not like I have DoomWorld open in my browser all the time, so any hassle caused by notifications are kept in check naturally, but I still feel like there's a slight obligation to respond if somebody goes out their way to tag me in some post for some reason...

All things considered, I find it tolerable, albeit maybe a bit overused in some cases... One example I would consider a "misuse" is when people tag me in a post that requires no reply from me in any way shape or form... For example: "I agree with @dmslr on this"... It's completely unnecessary, so I'd rather people use it if, and only if, there is something in there that would justify a reply by the tagged person to begin with...

Now... if we were talking about @s on discord... I'd be singing a whole different song... I hate that shit on discord where random dipshits use the quote function and forget to turn the "ping" off, and I've hated it ever since discord introduced that feature, because... since discord is discord, it's a children's toy platform, where seemingly none of the devs give any thought to how much it would piss people off over time, especially... because discord is discord... when the default is to ping instead of not to ping... So, when I have discord open, and it just so happens that there are several servers I moderate, a ping is something that usually falls in the "I should look at this as soon as I can" category, and you better believe me that I would love to use the ribcage of whoever couldn't help themselves and pinged me without my consent, and for no reason whatsoever, as a trampoline for a couple minutes... Sorry... I digressed a lil here...

it's overused a tad, which i'm also quilty of, but it's not really a huge deal. like NIH said (and i was just about to tag her for this, like an idiot), i don't have doomworld open 24/7, so notifications aren't really a huge bother for me. but yeah, it nonetheless is a little overused.

i gotta break out of this habit lol

40 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I think a more interesting question would have been to ask what Doomworld thinks about Papa John's new Parmesean Crusted Papadias. Just look at all that salty and delicious baked parmesan. 

2021_P5_HHC1.jpg

ewww papa johns, disgusting

People's preferences on this (both on papadias and tagging nicknames) vary and that's okay. I personally like people to tag me if they are talking about me or something I did. No comment on papadias.

I haven't found it personally annoying, but then again, the only time I get tagged is when someone's posted a map and they want to get my attention for some playtesting hehe or it's a credit for something I might've helped out with. I tend to use it sparingly. Thanks to the quote feature, you don't need to use it if you're replying to someone a few posts ahead of you because it keeps things in context. I only really use it if I want to get someone specific's attention because I want them to either see something I think they'd be interested in, if I think getting them in on a discussion is relevant or even in some cases where I've referenced someone's work that the person I'm talking to might not know so it gives that person a very quick way of knowing who I'm talking about, like when talking about people whose work/contributions I admire.

It certainly can have its uses when put in the right context as far as I'm concerned.

Nobody ever pings me, so como on everybody, give me some love!!!

(waits in the bed, sensually posing with a rose in the mouth)

;)

I like it because I would easily forget or miss the post if it weren't for the notification.

...also it should be PAPADILLA for real what's so hard about that?!?

I don't mind it at all. Like 95% of the time I'm tagged, it's somebody looking for a response or them saying something about me. the other 5% are really rare cases in which somebody says something like "I agree with @Chip"

I usually use it instead of quotes for a long response that I want to respond to. Sometimes I want to go over everything a poster wrote, so instead of quoting it line by line, I use the tag for people, including the poster to know that I'm responding to them. 

No issues with tagging. Best used when you want to loop someone into a conversation that may not be already apart of it. Or to give credit.

It has a practical use and I haven't seen anyone abuse it so far.

Interesting responses so far. This topic got my attention when one day Scotty got annoyed by Mr. Meanor's (the guy who only makes announcements in 'Doom streams') posts "Playing Nova III by @Scotty". Scotty was like "Dude, stop tagging me". But it didn't help, Meanor kept doing it.

Yeah, it's a very useful feature, because when you mention someone, it's courteous to let them know they're being mentioned, so they can reply with anything that may concern them. 

I regularly ego-search forums and Discord to see what people say about me behind my back. If instead I get mentioned with a ping, at least I have a chance to say my own view when it's about me. 

I don't really like when any new forum feature, over the simplicity of the former software, is getting questioned... New Doomworld had already got a few axed since its introduction... 

5 hours ago, dmslr said:

Interesting responses so far. This topic got my attention when one day Scotty got annoyed by Mr. Meanor's (the guy who only makes announcements in 'Doom streams') posts "Playing Nova III by @Scotty". Scotty was like "Dude, stop tagging me". But it didn't help, Meanor kept doing it.

If someone is repeatedly tagging people for stream announcements and also does that in multiple Discord servers, a lot of people would be annoyed by that yeah. Luckily, most uses of the feature can't be compared to that. 

56 minutes ago, rd. said:

If someone is repeatedly tagging people for stream announcements and also does that in multiple Discord servers, a lot of people would be annoyed by that yeah. Luckily, most uses of the feature can't be compared to that. 

A certain individual has a habit of tagging "@everyone" whenever he announces something in his Discord announcement channel... :)

21 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

A certain individual has a habit of tagging "@everyone" whenever he announces something in his Discord announcement channel... :)

I thought that's a natural thing for most servers with an announcements channel...

2 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I thought that's a natural thing for most servers with an announcements channel...

Most announcement channels are for the server owner, hence the @everyone is not a problem (even tho some people do still complain). Random streamers pinging everyone does get annoying tho and if they not very popular, it can cause a bit of a backlash.

But as for here, I don't mind the mention option, pretty cool way to get people in the loop or as an alternative to the quote system.

13 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I hate that shit on discord where random dipshits use the quote function and forget to turn the "ping" off, and I've hated it ever since discord introduced that feature

While I don't take much issue to that myself, I did get pretty pissed of with discords newest feature of "Suggested stickers", like fuck off setting the default to on..

Just now, Redneckerz said:

I see that joke becoming very stale very soon.

It already is for me.

Oh well, we had our fun.

Heh, I wonder if you can make coherent sentences that make sense using only nickname tags. (Better to not actually try that tho!)