Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexo

New Glitch in Doom GBA breaks the Full game Any% World Record Once again!

Looks like that 135-degree glide will remain in history. No-one on tasvideos tried to help me with it.
Still, I found a good alternative which helped my avoid that slow lift with an imp.
Basically, you need to run into the yellow door from another side. This route is risky though, because you can run into a teleport.

I decided to notify you every time I find something new, so you would masterize it earlier.

Edited by Dimon12321 : Video is in the actual post

@Alexo Alright. Episode 1 is done!

Map 1 - 0:08
Map 2 - 0:07
Map 3 - 0:10

Map 4 - 0:10
Map 5 - 0:08
Map 6 - 0:04
Map 7 - 0:09
Map 8 - 0:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkNt2HmOcfA

I didn't expect E1M6 to be that fast. Unlike E1M2 where GBA still has to render some visplanes even if you stare at the void, E1M6 provides an ideal situation where you can get completely lagless void run. When there is no lag at all, Doomguy runs extremely fast because the hardware is focused on processing logic only.

Found a faster route in E1M7. You need to get to a window next to the exit door and run towards its edge until you almost get inside the wall. Then run-strafe until you get inside the wall with a switch.

This route has intermediate complexity.
1. Your movement along the wall up to the one with a switch will be slow because there are 3 perpendicular walls on your way and you lose momentum if you touch anything.
2. You can run out of the switch wall back in bounds

The route of E1M8 didn't change much. I used the elevator to crush myself instead of the door. OoB outside of the star area doesn't let you go anywhere but back to the hallway with a lift.

22 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

@Alexo Alright. Episode 1 is done!

Map 1 - 0:08
Map 2 - 0:07
Map 3 - 0:10

Map 4 - 0:10
Map 5 - 0:08
Map 6 - 0:04
Map 7 - 0:09
Map 8 - 0:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkNt2HmOcfA

I didn't expect E1M6 to be that fast. Unlike E1M2 where GBA still has to render some visplanes even if you stare at the void, E1M6 provides an ideal situation where you can get completely lagless void run. When there is no lag at all, Doomguy runs extremely fast because the hardware is focused on processing logic only.

Found a faster route in E1M7. You need to get to a window next to the exit door and run towards its edge until you almost get inside the wall. Then run-strafe until you get inside the wall with a switch.

This route has intermediate complexity.
1. Your movement along the wall up to the one with a switch will be slow because there are 3 perpendicular walls on your way and you lose momentum if you touch anything.
2. You can run out of the switch wall back in bounds

The route of E1M8 didn't change much. I used the elevator to crush myself instead of the door. OoB outside of the star area doesn't let you go anywhere but back to the hallway with a lift.

Holy crap! 1:42 RTA E1! Amazing to see for TAS. I'd surmise your goal in full TAS is 5 or 4 range for a full RTA? 4 could be a possible time frame with void looking to save time like in E1M6. 

In E1M7, I had actually discovered that exact potential... on the other side of the building, same set of windows! Haha! Its a hail mary for time save that I don't see particular use for adding into the current route. I still have yet to try a run with E1M5 yellow door walk that you have shown here, it has potential to push the time lower then 8:15. My next session of attempts will be in about 17-19 hours from this post.

I've known void looking was faster for a few years, its uses in TAS should be interesting to work with in future levels. When the 9 minute barrier was broken the first, and only time, without the zombie glitch being used... the only possible significant time save left for human play was using "Blind" strats in the void.

Essentially, training myself to know the exact time to hold buttons, or when to make turns, from a visual aid. The Hall of Mirrors would end up being useful to judge if the angle was correct, as areas left the screen. I would have needed to time out how long to hold certain buttons, to possibly save 3 or 4 seconds in a few different levels. Its why I had started playing with Gameboy Interface, so I could register in real time the buttons I was using to progress the lower times in the route. I would be curious what a TAS without zombie looks like still, but its an obsolete route now for the lowest times like this!

Levels with good places to focus on voids for remaining TAS:

-Level 10 (E2M2)
Orb secret has the fastest crush, using void out of bounds from that area, to reach exit switch, can secure faster time then plasma lift 100%. Even with the plasma lift being used, the void look would drastically save time in actually reaching the button.

-Level 13 (E2M5) ending section, and being able to keep on the stairs that wrap around the middle. You can get to the higher stairs, while walking on the edge of the wall you see me inside of in the speedrun. Right before the round stairs. Lets you get on stairs sooner, but slight difficulty for use in human route currently with a wall tight rope.

-Level 14 (E2M6), possibly using another route near the button. You can get to the exit without going to the berserk pack area, but it takes longer for human play in having to turn so much.

-Level 15 (E2M7). TAS can be insane if the level is done with full void up to the button. The acid room with the pinkies is the only place besides the starting room you have to see in the level, returning to OOB, clicking the exit button after it appears from walking backwards into the exit room.

Level 16 (Final E2 Level) TAS can get 1. I have gotten 2. If TAS gets 0, I will cry. Because I will attempt the 1 grind at the very least... lol

Level 19 (E3M4) The Invulnerability orb could possibly be picked up, while also void gliding through a few walls, saving having to set up the rocket. Refer to my tutorial for explanation on the older methods. TAS could likely do this without the need to slow down. Theory; you could possibly build speed, tap orb, turn in process of tapping orb, and still keep momentum to go through the wall, saving the rocket.
Ending section can also use void look to reach button faster.

Level 20 (Swag cathedral strats) This is easily the hardest part of the speedrun now. I have gotten 5, but I still keep a section of the level on screen for visuals. I let the wooden door in the exit room sit on the right side of the screen in my attempts, and position it to an angle I have practiced to the best results. TAS can likely just do it all with 100% void look. Could even be a 3.

Level 22 (E3M7) This is where the non-use of a rocket in Level 19 becomes a possibility for time save. More armor starting = One use for OOB at the start. Get OOB, enter yellow door room clipping into teleporter from OOB spot.

Grab the health to restock if needed. You might have to go through the portal, and open the red door, but this depends on if you have health higher then 65, and Armor higher then 65. If you cannot sustain 106-112 damage, you need to stock health at the very least. Red door will let you open it from the inside, even without a red key.

Return to Yellow door room via portal after using health on the island. Clip out with rockets, click button, void glide through wall in the corner where human route uses rockets. (Human route uses void glide set up as last ditch efforts to save runs with bad health).

Look forward to seeing some more TAS, and any route discoveries! Its really helped out in deciphering the best human route also. The sub 8 barrier is closer now with an 8:14 time played just this friday for a full Any%. 
I'd surmise the final levels have even more potential, I'll be conducting more science. Happy thoughts in E1M1, AKA RESET HEAVEN. :D

Not much progress has been made this week.

E2M1 in 12 secs. Seems like it's the only possible zombie route on this map 
E2M2 in 11 secs. I'd really love to turn the map on to show where I am and how I'm travelling OoB, because audience cannot see my coordinates from RAM.

UPD:
E2M3 in 2 secs. Found a faster route where you need to run into the crusher door from the other side and move along the wall towards the entrance door. Even though exit can be easily reached from OoB, running along that tiny wall to OoB space is very tricky for RTA.

Edited by Dimon12321 : Added info about E2M3

@Alexo Alright. Episode 2 is finished!

E2M1 - 0:12.
E2M2 - 0:11.
E2M3 - 0:02.
E2M4 - 0:13. I am really upset with this map. I could win several secs if I manage to run into the room with crushers and a secret with an invisibility fast enough, so the closing secret door would crush me. I need either a little more speed or increase turning sensitivity to do that. 
E2M5 - 0:11.
E2M6 - 0:04. I don't know if that's the route you were talking about.
E2M7 - 0:03. If you run inside the wall as soon as you get crushed, try to move forward along the wall because flame's hitbox might block you path.
E2M8 - 0:02. Yeah, spoilers right away! Technically, I beat the map in 118 frames (1.98 secs), but looks like the game counts loading of the intermission screen too. I'm sure some frames can be saved. Too bad, I'm not a professional brute-forcer and cannot write Lua bots, so they would mesh input for me.

8 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

@Alexo Alright. Episode 2 is finished!

E2M1 - 0:12.
E2M2 - 0:11.
E2M3 - 0:02.
E2M4 - 0:13. I am really upset with this map. I could win several secs if I manage to run into the room with crushers and a secret with an invisibility fast enough, so the closing secret door would crush me. I need either a little more speed or increase turning sensitivity to do that. 
E2M5 - 0:11.
E2M6 - 0:04. I don't know if that's the route you were talking about.
E2M7 - 0:03. If you run inside the wall as soon as you get crushed, try to move forward along the wall because flame's hitbox might block you path.
E2M8 - 0:02. Yeah, spoilers right away! Technically, I beat the map in 118 frames (1.98 secs), but looks like the game counts loading of the intermission screen too. I'm sure some frames can be saved. Too bad, I'm not a professional brute-forcer and cannot write Lua bots, so they would mesh input for me.

Holy crap! TAS sub 6 RTA is 100%, incredible stuff!

I realized in E2M4 that was a possibility, and I tried to set it up in science prior. If only it was a little slower going up :(

For E2M6, That was the exact route I was describing yes. :D

Thanks for confirming 0:02 on the final level is the max at this time also.

Been really great seeing your progress on this TAS! :D

I haven't streamed in a week as I've been busy working, and catching up on my youtube ventures in the background. I'll likely be live again monday in the later evening in EST time zone. Thanks for the updates Dimon, here's to E3 progress!

Episode 3 TASing will take much more time than I expected. I am forced to learn Frontend because of increased pressure, lack of time and enhanced requirements on my project.
Also, a looming funeral might affect me and my family. I don't know when it will be, but misfortunes never come singly
Still, I will push it to the end, 'cuz my hobby cannot go off, at least this way.

Take all the time you need Dimon, I am sorry for your loss. Sending you strength on the healing road.
I have been away from streaming the game, invested into work and video production in my time after work. My long running youtube series is having a renaissance time of sorts. But I will be back in October heavily for the 20th anniversary.