Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bridgeburner56

Bastion of Chaos - Low spec version is up!

It's good to see people trying this map out even if slaughter isn't their thing. Highly recommend starting out on HNTR or HMP and leaving UV for a 2nd playthrough. 

Now that I think about it, is there a way to change the draw distance or distance view in GZDoom/LZDoom? Because i think that could drop less fps.

19 minutes ago, Kachakeño said:

Now that I think about it, is there a way to change the draw distance or distance view in GZDoom/LZDoom? Because i think that could drop less fps.

No.  IIRC, GZDoom very deliberately does not include that - I believe the Blade of Agony guys wanted to add it but it was decided it wasn't in keeping with the port.

12 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

@Turin Turambar while map geometry is one of the main factors on fps for doom, gpu draining elements like dynamic lights and static portals definitely affect fps. Removal of half the dynamic lights had a large impact on fps and if you run the map with lights.pk3 (which attaches lights to all projectiles) then the big fight at the end will have around a 50% fps drop. Turning dyn lights off at this point will cause the fps to bounce back. Your screenshots show a 37.5% increase in fps from the full to low spec version and the only thing different in that area is the dynamic light count.
And if gpu didn't matter then I wouldn't of had an fps jump when I upgraded my graphics card. 

Just for curiosity, what's your fps in that place (it's where you pick up the chaingun) with your computer?

I restarted my previous playthrough, to use the low Spec version.

The art and level design is visually impressive, of course. The gameplay is also good, there is a nice variety of slaughter situations. The flow is less good, sometimes it isn't very clear to the player where to go next, or what is a switch, or even one case, I couldn't see a key (red key) because all the damn corpses lol.

Coming back to performance, even in the Low Spec version still has some bad places. Example:

zBoKDwm.jpg

My 0.02$, but no Doom level should cause the fps to fall to 21-23 fps, in a fairly powerful modern computer.

Are people playing like this? or there is a trick or another sourceport I don't know?

1 hour ago, Turin Turambar said:

I restarted my previous playthrough, to use the low Spec version.

The art and level design is visually impressive, of course. The gameplay is also good, there is a nice variety of slaughter situations. The flow is less good, sometimes it isn't very clear to the player where to go next, or what is a switch, or even one case, I couldn't see a key (red key) because all the damn corpses lol.

Coming back to performance, even in the Low Spec version still has some bad places. Example:

zBoKDwm.jpg

My 0.02$, but no Doom level should cause the fps to fall to 21-23 fps, in a fairly powerful modern computer.

Are people playing like this? or there is a trick or another sourceport I don't know?

Well for a start you appear to be using a mod. There are a shit ton of addtional gibs in that shot so I'm gonna say that's what the issue is as I'm getting almost triple your fps on the high spec version.
Screenshot_Doom_20200823_073911.png

34 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Mainly, the only visual mod I have is SmoothDoom HiRes, I couldn't imagine it would affect performance so much, but I will do tests.

Ok, sorry for the bother, but at least I'm discovering interesting stuff. Yes, turning off the extra decoration sprites and gore in SmoothDoom improved things. I guess the performance hit is small in normal levels, but it scales badly in levels with thousands enemies.

And even more interesting... I was losing 10 fps from Vulkan, even in the normal, no-Low Spec version. WTF! I thought Vulkan performed better. I switched to Vulkan one year ago after doing tests in a level (I still remember it, it was Brigandine) and I had clearly better framerate with Vulkan.

I guess there is a cutoff point, and levels that surpass some size/complexity actually perform better in OpenGL than in Vulkan.

I finished the level yesterday night. The end was suitably epic, with the last fights being even grander and more intense. In the final moments I had already spent all the big power ups and just charged like crazy towards the front (as a new group of CDs had spawned behind me), thanks god that was the correct choice, as the exit was there, I entered it without even knowing what I was doing lol.

Slaughter isn't my thing but I just finished this map on easy mode and it was fun. I'd like to compliment you on this work of art. The map looks absolutely beautiful and the music is the cherry on top. I love the large contrast in difficulty settings which allows the map to be played by a broad audience. Amazing piece of work!

I was inspired by @UltraViolenceX the YouTube G, to make a vid of me tackling this map. 2.5 hours, lots of saving and reloading. Also some cheese.

https://fb.watch/2JHxS05tD_/

thanks Bridgeburner for this rad map. Yes it chugged in a few spots on my PC but oh well. 

also it’s HNTR difficulty because I didn’t want to lose my mind. UV tried it on HMP. 

Minor update fixing some rare soft locks and skips (damn you @Lucky_Edie) and updated the lowspec version to the same point. Most likely this is finished as far as the vanilla version of Bastion of Chaos goes.

The Age of Hell version however.........
Screenshot_Doom_20201220_082250.png

Edited by Bridgeburner56

Small update fixing a skip for one of the fights. This should maybe quite possibly be the actual finished no longer to be edited version that could potentially one day end up on a site that may or may not be related to the entity known as id/games

YEET

4 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Small update fixing a skip for one of the fights. This should maybe quite possibly be the actual finished no longer to be edited version that could potentially one day end up on a site that may or may not be related to the entity known as id/games

YEET

do it boi

I just tested it on a brand new MacBook Air M1 with maximum graphics and post-processing settings on GZDoom 4.6.0. Excellent result. Smooth gameplay on Vulcan and OpenGL. On an old computer with Intel i5, everything was sad.

I tried this with my 2013 ROG Laptop with i7, 16gb RAM and 670mx. A few years back, dont think there was a low-spec version at that time. Anyway, it didn't work good at all on that machine but I've gotten a more powerful desktop form my brother, with Ryzen and 32gb of ram and a 980ti. Gonna give this a go on that PC.

Managed to beat this absolute monster of a map on UV. Must have died a good 200 times through the playthrough, definitely the hardest map that I've beaten!

20/10 would get ass kicked again.

On 3/10/2022 at 8:48 PM, Old-Doomguy said:

I tried this with my 2013 ROG Laptop with i7, 16gb RAM and 670mx. A few years back, dont think there was a low-spec version at that time. Anyway, it didn't work good at all on that machine but I've gotten a more powerful desktop form my brother, with Ryzen and 32gb of ram and a 980ti. Gonna give this a go on that PC.

How did you go?  I'm about to try it on a ryzen 5600x and 3070, but my gz install for that pc has all the graphic options at maximum.