Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xulgonoth

[CP] Eternal MIDI Pack - A community MIDI replacement for Eternal Doom III

Working on this is gonna be fun! Wish I could have contributed more than two tracks, but alas, I have too much going on to commit any harder. Thanks for having me, Xulgonoth - the world is always ready for more MIDI packs. :)

I would like to work on this once I'm done with hospitals (or maybe while I'm in the hospital - it'd give me something to do to pass the time). However, I'd like to hear the source MIDI files first to know what I'm working with, without having to load up the game. Could we please have a ZIP file of the source MIDI files?

(BTW, I'm thinking about MAP 04, sight unseen (and sound unheard))

Edited by leejacksonaudio

Egg boy told me to take map 14 because he hates it to his core and wants me to do it. (I listen to him because he my boyfren)

1 hour ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I would like to work on this once I'm done with hospitals (or maybe while I'm in the hospital - it'd give me something to do to pass the time). However, I'd like to hear the source MIDI files first to know what I'm working with, without having to load up the game. Could we please have a ZIP file of the source MIDI files?

(BTW, I'm thinking about MAP 04, sight unseen (and sound unheard))

Did some searching and found a download here:

3 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I'm sorry to hear you're in a hospital, Mr. Jackson, I hope it's nothing serious. I would be very happy to have you on the project!

I apologise for the lack of download for the originals, it's because I wanted to encourage people to download the wad and play the maps they would be interested in making a MIDI for... but this is a more than reasonable exception to be made. Fortunately @northivanastan has already found a download for the soundtrack :)

3 hours ago, Bobby “lolmcswagger” said:

Egg boy told me to take map 14 because he hates it to his core and wants me to do it. (I listen to him because he my boyfren)

Sounds good, I was a bit afraid of the Bach staying unpicked for a long time, so I'm glad I was wrong :D

And hey, maybe with the right music will make Egg Boy see that MAP14 is actually really good :)

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

oshit cool

my s/o wants to have a shot at map06

Awesome :)

What should I call the person in the credits by the way?

7 minutes ago, Xulgonoth said:

Awesome :)

What should I call the person in the credits by the way?

malfunction54

17 minutes ago, Xulgonoth said:

And hey, maybe with the right music will make Egg Boy see that MAP14 is actually really good :)

I doubt that, but I bet the MIDI will be good! Luckily I have a reference for Bach Counterpoint called Adam Neely and 21st Century Harmony! (I am completely out of my element send help)

Good luck everyone! I'm all midi'd out at the moment but am excited to hear what you all come up with. Some time down the line if there are still any open slots I may try and snag one, but I don't want to commit without knowing I'll have some time to set aside.

Can't wait to hear some MIDI!

Interesting idea, but why Eternal Doom of all the wads that need new midis? I think that the midi present here are good enough, with some exceptions. Good luck with the project anyway!

32 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Interesting idea, but why Eternal Doom of all the wads that need new midis? I think that the midi present here are good enough, with some exceptions. Good luck with the project anyway!

Eternal doom is the greatest wad ever made, at least that’s what Egg Boy says :)

43 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

This is my sentiment, I'm not gonna knock this project, but I am just more interested in MIDI packs that cover wads that don't have their own music, or wads that have music everyone has heard a thousand times.

edit: never mind. was gonna reserve a slot but I don't really like the compo's rules. good luck anyway

Edited by yakfak

As a wise man once said: Good luck everyone! I'm all midi'd out at the moment but am excited to hear what you all come up with.

I think this is gonna be awesome. I always found it odd that the longest goddamn maps ever made had MIDIs that were about 12 seconds long.. (12 awesome seconds to be clear, but still..)

Nice, good idea. Good excuse to replay this old favourite once this is released.

Little mistake in the table, the original MIDI for MAP34 is called Eternal Medley and not Death March.

Otherwise, as you can probably tell I'm really looking forward to experience the final product ;)

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

I mentioned this above. I personally consider Eternal Doom to be one of the best megawads ever made, but the music leaves a lot to be desired - the tracks are very short and repetitive, too much for the size of these maps.

41 minutes ago, yakfak said:

edit: never mind. was gonna reserve a slot but I don't really like the compo's rules. good luck anyway

Edited 13 minutes ago by yakfak

I'm curious, what's wrong with the rules? The project is still very early in development, so the rules can be changed and I'm open to suggestions. Plus I personally adore your music and would really like to have you join, so your suggestions might have a lot of weight to them :D

11 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Little mistake in the table, the original MIDI for MAP34 is called Eternal Medley and not Death March.

Oh yeah, that's an unfortunate copypaste error... I'll fix it, thanks for spotting that :D

20 minutes ago, Xulgonoth said:

I'm curious, what's wrong with the rules? The project is still very early in development, so the rules can be changed and I'm open to suggestions. Plus I personally adore your music and would really like to have you join, so your suggestions might have a lot of weight to them :D 

Speaking of, I'd like for it to continue the trend set forth by Jimmy's MIDI packs and explicitly mention that reuse of tracks in other mod projects will be permitted. :)

11 hours ago, Xulgonoth said:

MAP13: Drop 'Em!
Theme: Intermission
This map is... odd. The only reason it exists is to transition into the second batch of of maps added in Eternal Doom II and also to make you pistol-start the next map. The original midi here is only 9 seconds long, but it really doesn't need to be much longer, as the map doesn't take more than a minute to finish, which is why it's exempt from the 4 minute rule.

Technically the MIDI is 36 seconds long, if you go by the fact it's a 9-second section that's then copy-pasted 3 times for some reason.

I'm looking forward to this. I just replayed EDIII and even though the tracks are too short, I didn't actually tire of any of them. It's probably the best original soundtrack for a Doom Wad. That being said, new music in the same style is very exciting. Hope to hear lot of marimbas, bongos and saw waves ;)

@Xulgonoth Thanks for the mention. After a long break, I'm again going through usenet archives, old dw posts to expand the write-up. 

10 hours ago, northivanastan said:

Did some searching and found a download here:

There is some problem with this file - it won't download. Might have something to do with the databases being out of sync.

2 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Technically the MIDI is 36 seconds long, if you go by the fact it's a 9-second section that's then copy-pasted 3 times for some reason.

That's odd, all my MIDI players and sequencers say it's 9 seconds. What do you use for playing MIDIs? It doesn't really matter for the project, but I am curious :D

2 hours ago, A.H. Sankhatayan said:

That being said, new music in the same style is very exciting. Hope to hear lot of marimbas, bongos and saw waves ;)

You might be a bit disappointed then... of course marimbas and sawtooth are welcome, but I do want contributors to get creative and do their own spins on the original motifs.

20 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

There is some problem with this file - it won't download. Might have something to do with the databases being out of sync.

Well, I'm finally back at my computer, so I can just post the whole soundtrack here :D
Eternal_DOOM.zip

@Gez Oh, right, I take that as a no-brainer at this point, but you're right, it doesn't hurt to add it in.

33 minutes ago, Xulgonoth said:

That's odd, all my MIDI players and sequencers say it's 9 seconds. What do you use for playing MIDIs? It doesn't really matter for the project, but I am curious :D

Cakewalk. Even the description on the /idgames page says that track is 36 seconds long.

Edit: It seems there are different versions of the soundtrack's files. The soundtrack I downloaded years ago matches the /idgames version; MAP13's track has a length of 36 seconds for both the standalone MIDI and the WAD version (EDM01-32.wad).

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666