Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What game (or collection of games) should I get off Steam?

After buying Strife: Veteran Edition, Deus Ex GOTY, a few Sega Genesis games, and refunding one game, I'll have about $6.46 USD left. But I can't decide what game within that price range to get, and there are probably some cheap classics I can find but don't know about.

I have these games on my wishlist currently:

• Anachronox
  • Call of Juarez
  • Dead Space 1, 2, & 3
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Just Cause 2
  • Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition
  • Outlaws + A Handful of Missions
  • Post Void
  • Quake 1 & 2 Mission Packs (minus Scourge of Armagon)
  • Star Wars Dark Forces
  • Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
  • Thief Gold (though that's included in the Thief Collection, which I can afford)

If anyone has suggestions and/or recommendations, it'd be greatly appreciated!

2 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/250760/Shovel_Knight_Treasure_Trove/ im not sure if it is 6 dollars or not and i am too lazy to make the conversion now but you should definitively get this you get basically 4 games for the price of one

I might have to get it when it or the individual games are on sale, since the USD price is too high for me right now. I've heard a little bit about them, though

3 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I might have to get it when it or the individual games are on sale, since the USD price is too high for me right now. I've heard a little bit about them, though

there are 4 campaigns on it

shovel of hope is the original campaign and... well people love it but the other ones are so much better and more creative that i have a hard time going back to it

plague of shadows has the same levels as shovel of hope but it plays so deferentely from... any game really and you can go so fast in there that it makes the levels a lot better also the story is exelent

specter of torment has completely new levels and different gameplay too its a prequel to shovel of hope and plague of shadows and its story is very interesting compared to any of the others

king of cards plays similar to wario land on steroids the levels are all original too but they are shorter and have 3 main collectables in then kinda similar to the new 2d mario games the story is mostly focused on commedy but it gets preety dark on times and is my favorite of all of them (and the biggest too being bigger then all other 3 combined without being repetitive or reusing stuff from the other campaigns it just has a LOT of things in it)

i have done 100% on all of them in the past on a 3ds of all things and i had a blast i still think its the best plataformer out there

One of the Quake II mission packs (forget the names of them) I thought was really good, the other not so good...I forget which one is which cause it's been a good few years since I played them. They're dirt cheap on Steam so its worth it either way.

Thief Gold, Thief II, and Quake II: The Reckoning -- just shy of $5 at the time of writing, and that'll leave you with a bit to spare for another smol thing. Plenty o' game for the money.

Quake is great stuff to have in your collection. I always return to Quake for a good blast of killing action. :D All the Quake mission packs for both I and II are fun and very good. You don't get mission packs like that these days. ;)

Thief is good too. The stealth stuff is fun if you like that kind of thing.

I do like Dragon Age. Fun RPG that.

Jurarez. I only played Bound in Blood and it was a very on a rail with it yelling at you to do this, go here, hurry up, get the TNT, blow up that thing, ok go with the guy, get the horses... very tiring.

I'm absolutely infatuated with Ultrakill right now. It's like the developer asked himself "what's every single thing that I love about retro FPS games and how can I turn each of those things up to 11?" He hit the nail on the head, because it was at one point in the top 5 rated Steam games

Dragon Age: Origins is rather a grind in places but it is a solid game over all.  If you like CRPGs it is worth a look.

I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights, too.

NWN: EE went on a MASSIVE sale recently, should have gotten it then. It was 90% off for the game and all its modules.

Nevermind, misread your comment. I thought you were saying Quake 1 and the two mission packs for it.

I think both of the Quake mission packs are worth getting, and if you're at all interested in mapping for Quake, the added textures and functions are extremely useful.

I can't really say anything about the Quake 2 mission packs, aside from both of them being Incredibly annoying. Personally I would avoid them.

Otherwise from your list, I put quite a few hours in Just Cause 2 when it came out. Like GTA in a tropical climate, but with a hookshot/bungie that you can bounce around with, and a parasail. I liked it, something about bouncing around the islands using the hookshot, gaining momentum, bounding up mountains, gliding across the land... rinsing and repeating. Honestly the only faster way to travel was an airplane, once you got the player controls down, a car or truck was worthless.

Edited by Jello

If I go with Xaser's suggestion, I could probably get Thief Gold, Thief 2, Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, and probably Just Cause 2 for about $6. Alternatively, I might be able to fit another Deus Ex game, aside from Human Revolution and Deus Ex GOTY, instead of Just Cause 2. Another option is Postal 2: Paradise Lost, but that would take some work since I only own Postal 2 on GOG and can't get both on Steam with $6. 

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

If I go with Xaser's suggestion, I could probably get Thief Gold, Thief 2, Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, and probably Just Cause 2 for about $6. Alternatively, I might be able to fit another Deus Ex game, aside from Human Revolution and Deus Ex GOTY, instead of Just Cause 2. Another option is Postal 2: Paradise Lost, but that would take some work since I only own Postal 2 on GOG and can't get both on Steam with $6. 

Maybe you've already spent the money, but the Steam version of Paradise Lost works with the GOG version of Postal 2 from what I can tell. I just checked it out to make sure, which required installing Postal 2 through GOG (Which I already had, I've just been using my Steam installation so I never installed it.) So I installed the GOG version on my F: drive, while the Steam version is on my C: drive. After installing Postal 2 from GOG, I started it up and didn't have the option to switch to Paradise Lost. Dragged and dropped the folder from my C: drive into the Postal 2 folder on the F: drive, started it, and there was an option to change to Paradise Lost.

From what I can tell, the versions of the games are identical, so it'll work with either one. I'm pretty sure you can buy Paradise Lost separate from Postal 2 on Steam. If not, then yeah that's a problem, but I'm pretty sure you can. And hell, if it doesn't work, you can always refund it.

Edited by Jello

1 minute ago, Jello said:

Maybe you've already spent the money, but the Steam version of Paradise Lost works with the GOG version of Postal 2 from what I can tell. I just checked it out to make sure, which required installing Postal 2 through GOG (Which I already had, I've just been using my Steam installation so I never installed it.) So installed the GOG version on my F: drive, while the Steam version is on my C: drive. After installing Postal 2 from GOG, I started it up and didn't have the option to switch to Paradise Lost. Dragged and dropped the folder from my C: drive into the Postal 2 folder on the F: drive, started it, and there was an option to change to Paradise Lost.

From what I can tell, the versions of the games are identical, so it'll work with either one. I'm pretty sure you can buy Paradise Lost sperate from Postal 2 on Steam. If not, then yeah that's a problem, but I'm pretty sure you can. And hell, if it doesn't work, you can always refund it.

Unfortunately, I already bought Quake DoE, Thief Gold, Thief 2, and Thief Deadly Shadows, but I can get Paradise Lost another time through Steam in the future and try what you did. Do you know what patches I would need for the Thief games?

Well, you still made some great choices. Aside from Deadly Shadows, but I assume it was bundled. The Thief games are great, but I haven't played them since I had a running XP system. So fifteen years. I'm sure there are guides out there to get them up and running on modern systems, I just don't have the information, sorry.

But they're good games, and you could've done a lot worse.

And Dissolution of Eternity is great. Not a bad haul for six bucks, considering what I paid for them.

Just now, Jello said:

Well, you still made some great choices. Aside from Deadly Shadows, but I assume it was bundled. The Thief games are great, but I haven't played them since I had a running XP system. So fifteen years. I'm sure there are guides out there to get them up and running on modern systems, I just don't have the information, sorry.

But they're good games, and you could've done a lot worse.

And Dissolution of Eternity is great. Not a bad haul for six bucks, considering what I paid for them.

I actually got Deadly Shadows willingly, considering all 3 were a dollar each and I wasn't aware of that one being a bad egg of some kind. Got DoE because I have Armagon already, so it completes my collection of Quake and the mission packs. And I also got Strife and Deus Ex yesterday, along with some Sega Genesis games, so that adds up to a lot of decent or great games to play.

1 hour ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I actually got Deadly Shadows willingly, considering all 3 were a dollar each and I wasn't aware of that one being a bad egg of some kind. Got DoE because I have Armagon already, so it completes my collection of Quake and the mission packs. And I also got Strife and Deus Ex yesterday, along with some Sega Genesis games, so that adds up to a lot of decent or great games to play.

Well I hope you enjoy it, and it might've aged decently. But when it came out after Thief 1 and 2, and it was held up for comparison, it wasn't great. But after twenty years, it's probably better then most of the AAA games you'd come across at this point, so I hope you enjoy it. The rest are golden.

And yeah, you also have Strife and particularly Deus Ex, so you are set for quite awhile. You made some good choices in games, kudos to you!

But yeah, it seems like Paradise Lost likes any modern installation of Postal 2, as long as it's the "Complete Edition", which is "Share the Pain" with the latest updates. Which is really all you can get via GOG or Steam, so if you have it on GOG it should be updated, and you can get Paradise Lost from Steam, download it, and just throw it in the Postal 2 base folder and be good.

The guys at Running with Scissors are good folks, I've had a back and forth with Mike Jarret on Steam. They really care about their customers, and above all they want them to enjoy their games. So if you paid them money to get Postal 2 on GOG, but the only way you can give them more money for the DLC is through Steam, yeah, they'll make it cross compatible. And if you have any issues, contact them. They are the most easy going video game company I know of.

And it all boils down to this: "They want your money".

But they'll bend over backwards to EARN it, and that's the difference.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:23 PM, Jello said:

The guys at Running with Scissors are good folks, 

They're gamergaters. There are no good folks in that shitpile.