Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

need suggestions with us history project....

i need some good advices of significant events occurred in the united states from 1914 - sept 11, 2001, please list some good ones

kthxbye

999cop said:

i need some good advices of significant events occurred in the united states from 1914 - sept 11, 2001, please list some good ones

kthxbye

LOL! You're not serious are you?

And no, the US doesn't officially have anything to do with WWI until the Lusitania is sunk in 1915, and it doesn't actually enter the war until 1917.

McCarthyism, the Vietnam War, the Iran-Contra scandal, training Afghani troops, Training Iraqi troops, overthwoing democratic rebellions in Central and South American and replacing it with dictatorships, possible assassination of it's own president, etc, etc...

the_Danarchist said:

McCarthyism, the Vietnam War, the Iran-Contra scandal, training Afghani troops, Training Iraqi troops, overthwoing democratic rebellions in Central and South American and replacing it with dictatorships, possible assassination of it's own president, etc, etc...

I'm sure Wobbo can make that list of scandals a little longer :)

well, i forgot to include one little thing in my original post...the stuff that will be taught in the book cannot be used as the project topic, including WWII, well Pearl Harbor is going to be mentioned along obviously, the great depression,...etc. I would like to do something else other than september 11 since it seems to be a matter that has not ended just yet officially 'cause the world is still struggling about it. Besides we are still having many unknown information to the questions, so it isn't a very good idea at this point. Was thinking about to do my project on something such as the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane that was hit onto florida coast, the crash of Space Shuttle Columbia, or the first invention of computer, etc(well i heard it was germany that created the first computer ever; the first electronic computer was created in us was by the John Vincent Atanasoff at Iowa State College in the late 1930s, according to certain resource, however.)

Shuttle Columbia happened after Sept 11 2001. :P

Challenger would be interesting, however.

Well, how about the invention of the automobile. Then there was Edison and his light bulb.

There's not a day that goes by without me thanking the American dude who invented the hotdog. Whatever his name might be.

Disorder said:

There's not a day that goes by without me thanking the American dude who invented the hotdog. Whatever his name might be.

You are going to be sadly disappointed if you think it was an American invention or an American that invented it :P

fodders said:

You are going to be sadly disappointed if you think it was an American invention or an American that invented it :P

British then? :)

DooMBoy said:

Well, how about the invention of the automobile. Then there was Edison and his light bulb.

Noone knows who exactly invented the automobile, but it's suspected that it was a french farmer in the mid 1700s, it crashed. The light bulb was invented in 1806 by Humphrey Davy, an englishman, though only used as a demonstration. Edison's lightbulb was made in 1879.

arderkrag said:

How about the invention of....

THE TOMMY GUN!

how is tommy gun significant to the nation?

America's war on communism in Europe during/following WWII aka the US-nazi allaince...

Strangely enough this period of history seems to have been forgotten even though it helped shape to world we live in today...

1942: Roosevelt makes Jean Darlan (a nazi-collaborator and author of the antisemitical laws of the Vichy government) the leader of whole French North-Africa.
1949: US supports Reinhard Gehlen and other ex-nazi warcriminals in their continuing fight against communism in Russia and the Eastern Europe.
1945: America invades Korea and removes the anti-fascist leaders who had offered resistance to the Japanese. The US was aided by the Japanese fascist police and Korean nazi-collaborators.
1947: The US support a brittish war in Greece which would lead to 160.000 deaths. Nazi-collaborators were left alone while farmers, workers and communist were confronted with with torture and 'concentrationcamps'. All in the name of democracy...
1948: America installed a dictorship in Italy with fascist war-hero Badoglio and nazi-collaborator king Victor Emmanuel III as leaders. Anti-fascists (mostly farmers and workers led by communists) who had liberated half of Italy were hunted down, locked up or killed.
To prevent the communists from getting to power (democratically!) the CIA trained an italian fascist police force.
1948-1951: To prevent economical collapse and the influences from progressive movements the US created the Marshall-plan.
1954: The CIA destroyed the first democracy in Guatemala, the results...

Klaus Barbie: ex-ss-officer and head of the Gestapo in Lyon was recruted to operate as a spy. He helped the Americans in their fight against the French communist groups (who had fought against the Nazis). Other nazis were recruted as millitairy advisers, terrorists in South America or rocket scientists to win the space-race.

This would make an interesting essay if you ask me...

m0l0t0v said:

1948:[/b] America installed a dictorship in Italy with fascist war-hero Badoglio and nazi-collaborator king Victor Emmanuel III as leaders. Anti-fascists (mostly farmers and workers led by communists) who had liberated half of Italy were hunted down, locked up or killed.
To prevent the communists from getting to power (democratically!) the CIA trained an italian fascist police force.

Heh...wasn't that what Il Postino was about?