Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

16 hours ago, SCF said:

All right, I made a lot of progress over the weekend and managed to stop myself from adding more sections to the map. This version has no difficulty settings yet, but I figured it would be good to get some feedback first. Tested in PrBoom+ and GZDoom, so nothing should break (hopefully).

Edit: Oh yeah I should mention that the map is in slot 29

Download

Hey man, I just played through your map. Nasty, mean little map, but plenty of challenge and some very nice and interesting architecture and texture-work. Ammo was tight but barely enough. Same for health. You need to heavily rely on monster infighting to get through this one.

I really like the position of the Cyberdemon. He can shoot so many places, so you need to keep moving. Although you do get some respite in the hallway with the bloodfalls. 

Now for my suggestions: The map is too dark in places. I now you want to set the mood (and I did play it during the daylight with heavy gamma), but some areas and items are too dark. Add some more contrast to improve guiding the player. You do this well for most of the buttons, but not in the dark ash-passageway near the start, and some items could benefit greatly from being in the spotlight. In particular the SSG. It took me a long time before I realized where that was. The plasma gun and ammo could also use some more contrast.

I don't like your use of the ash textures. For some reason I'm allergic to that texture, but that could just be me. It's fine in some places, but I don't like the dark ash passageway near the beginning. The monsterplacement here was also kind of meh. I know the area is supposed to be disorientating but I feel like this area is the one area that could benefit from added details, more contrast, and better texture work.

Almost there, keep up the good work!

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_134651.png.9adf95743bd7393ca08dde8203474399.png

The dark ash passageway

Screenshot_Doom_20210802_134532.png.b89c168e9bf746661b194e1b6a3ded42.png

Texture-misalignment

5 hours ago, Worriedidiot said:

An update to MAP02 "Cosmic Cacodemons"... again (Sorry for the constant updates)

• The floor doesn't lower instantly anymore
  • The blue key fight is now revamped
  • The blue armor secret is now a lot easier to get to
  • The rooms after the blue and yellow key doors are now a lot more challenging

This will probably be the last update I do to this map.

Cosmic Cacodemons_V4.rar

I gave it another go since it's short, and I like this version much better, so nice job! The fight at the blue key is a lot more interesting now. Maybe the one at the blue door is a bit mean, but I (barely) managed the first time. I noticed you can get to the secret at the start directly if you strafe-run, but I don't think that breaks anything and you're not going to do that unless you already know the map.

@SCF Feedback for your map:

• Nice visuals overall with some excellent detail work in the first half.
  • Atmosphere is on-point. The ominous start builds up nicely to the more hectic "second half", and the accompanying MIDI works surprisingly well even for the latter.
  • Speaking of the second half, the gameplay is fun with a good amount of challenge. I like how it encourages staying on the move, so as to not get swarmed by too many demons in one place.
  • No bugs or other issues caught.

3 minutes ago, muumi said:

@MFG38 that one slot still open?

Yep. Want me to pen you in?

6 minutes ago, muumi said:

Yep

Done. You're in the MAP05 slot, and your title is "Crippling Vestiphobia". (That's fear of clothing, just to save you a Google search.)

24 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

and your title is "Crippling Vestiphobia". (That's fear of clothing, just to save you a Google search.)

Lol, muumi's profile pic was basically my reaction to seeing that map title. Good luck, muumi :D

25 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

"Crippling Vestiphobia". (That's fear of clothing, just to save you a Google search.)

Oh, god no! I hope I won't have to see a naked doomguy...

25 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

Done. You're in the MAP05 slot, and your title is "Crippling Vestiphobia". (That's fear of clothing, just to save you a Google search.)

absolutely disgusting

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

"Crippling Vestiphobia". (That's fear of clothing, just to save you a Google search.)

I wonder what kind of map will come with this title...

Spoiler

Instant-death silent teleports when you come closer to a armor?

16 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Hide contents

Instant-death silent teleports when you come closer to a armor?

Too easy

7 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

Hey man, I just played through your map. Nasty, mean little map, but plenty of challenge and some very nice and interesting architecture and texture-work. Ammo was tight but barely enough. Same for health. You need to heavily rely on monster infighting to get through this one.

Thanks! I'll take a look at some of your suggestions over the course of the week. I definitely get your point about the SSG, if you don't spot it from the start it's kind of hidden since you have to turn a corner to reach it while the lit path is guiding you the other way.

6 hours ago, MFG38 said:

@SCF the accompanying MIDI works surprisingly well even for the latter.

The map from Counterattack I took the midi from is basically a slaughter map, so I knew it would probably fit that part of the map as well :D

Map name: A Lake

Author: DynamiteKaitorn/Heich

Play time: Around 10 minutes or so

Music: Carrotus - Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (I think it's from VGMusic.com?)

Textures: GothicTX, Useful Flats + Useful DooM Edits were the 3 packs I used (only took a few textures).

Difficulty settings: Yes - Lower difficulties = less enemies in a few areas.

Coop: No

Deathmatch: No

Description: Enjoy a nice, calm breezy day at the lakeside. The trees rustling in the breeze, the gentle swooshing of the water and... the roaring screams of hell?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/i309flodyhe6npt/LakeDyna-V1.zip/file

Screensies! OwO

Spoiler

LiterallyALake-01.jpg.14d2e81b081b6f4fd279b3a30873e03c.jpg

LiterallyALake-02.jpg.ad45dabcd81ce30ef11bf96115088ea8.jpg

LiterallyALake-03.jpg.d6bfba8cc843b2ec63f7275acca8021e.jpg

@DynamiteKaitorn Feedback for your map:

• Nice visuals with great use of textures, the atmosphere would be almost serene if it wasn't for the gameplay. :P
  • I would otherwise find something negative to say about the relative flatness of the layout, but I can't complain about it in this case, given the map's gameplay and theme. It just works.
  • Gameplay is pretty fun, albeit not too hard as long as the player stays on the move and uses infighting to their advantage. But the map lends itself to that particular gameplay style very well.
  • No bugs caught.

Also, I don't usually do this, but here's a UV-Max demo I recorded just for fun:

Lake_v-1-3uvmax.zip

Fun little secret map. Reminded me of Caribbean in TNT (Check that map out if you haven't), but with a lot more outside area. It works as an open secret map with tons of enemies all around. Very easy though, with an absolute megaton of ammo. I pistolstarted and still finished with over 50 rockets and almost full plasma.

image.png.d2f521cf7ef04c1d7adb42bc80e580ae.png

A second (or third, or fourth) Cyber Demon wouldn't be out of place, especially after picking up the red key from the central cabin. And while I don't miss the True Evil, a surprising lack of Archviles and hardly any revenants. Is it a bug or a feature that the pinkies can't get out of the water? Shark alert!

LikeMFC38 said, the map does feel a little flat. While it suits the gameplay and theme of the map, a little more detail wouldn't be out of place, as it also helps the player navigate around the map. How about a beach area? Maybe where the Cyberdemon appears? Maybe a crashed ship or something weird to discover? Maybe a nukage or blood area? or a waterfall?

The texture work is generally good though, and the sky texture suits it well.

image.png.39ef76030db00abf7b4a00f00e513502.png

I feel like the cabin could use some more detailing. Same for the exit, which is too dark and hidden. Also, replace the Baron in the cabin with an Archvile to make it feel a little more epic. 

Conclusion:
Fun map, feels like a secret level, and well, it's a lake, so mission accomplished! Just a few more details and this is done!

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Map name: A Lake

Most of it have already been said by others, but while it's fun to blow up hordes of monsters, the open nature of the map makes it so you're not really under any pressure. From what I saw enemies only teleport in at one location so they'll just clump up and infight while you can safely run around the edges. If enemies teleported to other corners of the map as well you'd have to pay a lot more attention. But also, having a more casual slaughter arena in slot 32 fits pretty well.

Another small suggestion would be to move the monster closet further away. I always find it a little distracting when I can hear the enemies through the wall when I get close.

Hi, can I have a new map name please? I'm having a hard time trying to make a decent map but maybe a new name can give me more inspiration

On 7/25/2021 at 10:47 AM, Engired said:

Map name: Gold Factory

Download: GoldFactory.zip (Version 2)

I gave this map a go, but I didn't finish the final fight. My biggest issue is that there's no armor (besides the secret one), and sometimes very little health as well, so fights that would probably be fun otherwise become extremely punishing because you die in two unlucky hits. If that was the intention, then you definitely succeeded, but it wasn't for me.

I liked the first fight the most, after you jump down the ledge. It's not as bad as it looks at first glance, and the archvile at the end gives it some extra punch just when you think you're done. The one one right after the archvile swarm was similar, just meaner. But that room was a bit annoying because the shell boxes were placed in a way where it was really easy to pick them up by accident when you have 48 shells left.

I don't get what you're supposed to do when you get the blue key. There's not enough ammo to kill the archviles, and not enough time to cross the bridge without getting zapped. I got out by jumping into the slime and taking the lift up, but that left me with 40 health and there are no medkits in the area, so I had to get through the next fight without getting hit. (I looked in the editor afterwards and see what you're supposed to do now, but the switches are marked like red/yellow key switches so I ignored them)

During the fight at the rocket launcher, the exit door opens up pretty quickly, so you can just wait there, leave when it opens, and take out all the enemies with ease. I think I must've then triggered another linedef that closes the door, so I ended up getting trapped and had to noclip to get out.

The BFG room is where I gave up. First of all, it's REALLY dark, to the point where I was walking off ledges that I couldn't see. The cell pack could also stand to be a lot more visible, especially considering it's actually a big stack of cells. I don't think there's any special trick to this fight, it's just a grind and you get all of two medkits to work with. I do like this fight conceptually, but the margin of error is so small.

6 hours ago, SCF said:

I gave this map a go, but I didn't finish the final fight. My biggest issue is that there's no armor (besides the secret one), and sometimes very little health as well, so fights that would probably be fun otherwise become extremely punishing because you die in two unlucky hits. If that was the intention, then you definitely succeeded, but it wasn't for me.

I liked the first fight the most, after you jump down the ledge. It's not as bad as it looks at first glance, and the archvile at the end gives it some extra punch just when you think you're done. The one one right after the archvile swarm was similar, just meaner. But that room was a bit annoying because the shell boxes were placed in a way where it was really easy to pick them up by accident when you have 48 shells left.

I don't get what you're supposed to do when you get the blue key. There's not enough ammo to kill the archviles, and not enough time to cross the bridge without getting zapped. I got out by jumping into the slime and taking the lift up, but that left me with 40 health and there are no medkits in the area, so I had to get through the next fight without getting hit. (I looked in the editor afterwards and see what you're supposed to do now, but the switches are marked like red/yellow key switches so I ignored them)

During the fight at the rocket launcher, the exit door opens up pretty quickly, so you can just wait there, leave when it opens, and take out all the enemies with ease. I think I must've then triggered another linedef that closes the door, so I ended up getting trapped and had to noclip to get out.

The BFG room is where I gave up. First of all, it's REALLY dark, to the point where I was walking off ledges that I couldn't see. The cell pack could also stand to be a lot more visible, especially considering it's actually a big stack of cells. I don't think there's any special trick to this fight, it's just a grind and you get all of two medkits to work with. I do like this fight conceptually, but the margin of error is so small.

Not enough health isn't surprising, I do it all the time.

I'm not sure how I could do that archvile thing better, maybe with lights like the portal games?

If you run back to get the rocket launcher it does reclose it. I can do some voodoo doll stuff to fix that.

The BFG room looks fine on my end, and it looks fine with all the settings turned up, but it's probably too dark on anything else. I did this earlier on another wad that I did, I do it about as much as I don't put enough health.

2 hours ago, Engired said:

Not enough health isn't surprising, I do it all the time.

I'm not sure how I could do that archvile thing better, maybe with lights like the portal games?

If you run back to get the rocket launcher it does reclose it. I can do some voodoo doll stuff to fix that.

The BFG room looks fine on my end, and it looks fine with all the settings turned up, but it's probably too dark on anything else. I did this earlier on another wad that I did, I do it about as much as I don't put enough health.

Missing how the archvile bridge works is partially on me since I didn't even try the switches. Maybe labeling them with the same texture as the rising/lowering walls would make it clearer, and less likely to be mistaken for key switches?

Regarding the lighting, did you try it with vanilla sector lighting? I noticed the exact opposite with my map, where I tuned the lighting to look just right in vanilla, but then in gzdoom with hardware lighting it's a little too bright. You can see the difference here. It's not big, but it's definitely darker in the first one.

Spoiler

MGLt9u8.png

Bx1R40K.png

I'm not completely sure how vanilla lighting works, but lighting levels below 128 seem to get very dark very quickly unless you're up close.

20 minutes ago, SCF said:

Missing how the archvile bridge works is partially on me since I didn't even try the switches. Maybe labeling them with the same texture as the rising/lowering walls would make it clearer, and less likely to be mistaken for key switches?

Regarding the lighting, did you try it with vanilla sector lighting? I noticed the exact opposite with my map, where I tuned the lighting to look just right in vanilla, but then in gzdoom with hardware lighting it's a little too bright. You can see the difference here. It's not big, but it's definitely darker in the first one.

Hide contents

MGLt9u8.png

Bx1R40K.png

I'm not completely sure how vanilla lighting works, but lighting levels below 128 seem to get very dark very quickly unless you're up close.

My settings are set to the most vanilla ones possible, but monitor and other settings are probably different on my end.

17 hours ago, Danlex said:

Hi, can I have a new map name please? I'm having a hard time trying to make a decent map but maybe a new name can give me more inspiration

Absolutely. Think you can work with "Lunar Chasm"?

I've updated Map29: The Basement Problem.

• Added slightly more ammo
  • Added easy/medium difficulty
  • Adjusted the lighting in several places to better highlight items/paths
  • Added more detail to the cave section (still uses ashwall though)

Download v2

Updated the link in the previous post as well.

4 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Absolutely. Think you can work with "Lunar Chasm"?

yeah that sounds good, thanks!

On 8/4/2021 at 8:59 AM, SCF said:

During the fight at the rocket launcher, the exit door opens up pretty quickly, so you can just wait there, leave when it opens, and take out all the enemies with ease.

That's an accident, I actually meant to have it last a minute, but I did it wrong.