Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astro X

One tiny otex slaughter-ish map

Hey, folks

I started doing some experimentation and ended up building a tiny slaughter-ish map.

It's some sort of castle or dungeon with secrets and demons in it.

Available in all difficulties. Beatable under 12 minutes without secrets. Also, remember switches are shootable as well!

Hint

Spoiler

Right at the first room, the player can choose which fight he's going to go for first. Do nothing, you get one fight, flip a switch, the fights order is reversed.

- Tested on Skulltag, vanilla doom II. Uses slot 01.

Special thanks to ukiro for the OTEX texture pack.

Feedback is much appreciated. If you have any problems let me know. Have fun!

DOWNLOAD

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gaf6OtYOsvc0yTqgu5Mn45ixpFPcdhkK/view?usp=sharing

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Script of decay img1.png

Script of decay img2.png

Script of decay img3.png

Edited by Astro X

After much trouble, map is here :D

Edited by Astro X

45 minutes ago, Astro X said:

Tested on Skulltag, vanilla doom II. Uses slot 01.

You might want to reword this to something like Skulltag/GZDoom compatibility. I tested on PRBoom+ and Eternity, both lock you in the starting room (the gunshot action somehow doesn't work), thus noclipping 

Spoiler

only leaves player with a linear fight order and enemies might not properly spawned.

Anyhow, technical issues aside, this map is pretty fun. Combat is good and constant, and you have to watch from all sides due to how limited the moving space can be at times. IMO the visuals aren't this map's strongest suit (I'd love more lighting balance) but the gameplay more or less makes up for that. It's also cool how multiple weapon usage is encouraged - halfway through the map I realized shells aren't gonna solve all of my problems.

Spoiler

..I wish we don't have to kill a child to complete the map.

Some suggestions:

• If this map were to be re-tweaked for multi-port compatibility again (which should not be hard considering only the starting door has problems), I think the chainsaw should be replaced with berserk. It's a bit janky to use in the other ports and is rather ineffective against many enemies.
  • The rocket launcher secret near the chaingun/SSG is basically a softlock - you can't get up even after raising chaingun/SSG platforms. Perhaps turn those platforms into lifts once raised?
  • For some reasons, there are 2 plasma rifles (I don't count the rocket launcher since one is stored in a secret) and they are both easy to find. Removing one and replace with stacked cell pickups seem more reasonable.
  • The switch alcove that locks a portion on the map (requiring blue key to open) is a bit redundant, as you fight low-tier mobs that don't make difference regardless of movement space.

Thanks, @TheNoob_Gamer for the feedback!

12 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

You might want to reword this to something like Skulltag/GZDoom compatibility. I tested on PRBoom+ and Eternity, both lock you in the starting room (the gunshot action somehow doesn't work), thus noclipping 

I didn't know that... I'll fix that then.

13 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I think the chainsaw should be replaced with berserk

Yea, but I wanted to value the berserk as a secret... Anyway it's my first map of this kind.

14 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The rocket launcher secret near the chaingun/SSG is basically a softlock - you can't get up even after raising chaingun/SSG platforms. Perhaps turn those platforms into lifts once raised?

It is not, actually. There's a hidden switch which raises the rocket launcher, so no need to dive into the lava in the first place. But yea, I'll make those pillars lifts then.

15 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

For some reasons, there are 2 plasma rifles

I did this to make it easier for the casual players, in case they choose to venture the other room where there would be no plasma rifle there. So there is one on each room, regardless of the chosen route, I guess.

16 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

The switch alcove that locks a portion on the map (requiring blue key to open)

Yes and no. This was my way of not softlocking the player in either case they chose to flip the switch or not. But as I said, I was experimenting things, and ended up with a decent map, so I went ahead and shared it here :)

25 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Oh, I was not aware. In that case, maybe switch the position?

Yea, I could do that, no problem! What I thought was maybe an obvious berserk would make the pinkies fight too easy at first. Also, I thought who would feel good with a secret containing a chainsaw when it's clearly not the optimal weapon for the scenario they are in - lots of pinkies, imps, cacos, revenants surrounding all over (slaughter lol).

Edited by Astro X

3 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hide contents

..I wish we don't have to kill a child to complete the map.

What do you mean with this? Or did something get edited out?

Otherwise I have to say I had quite some good fun with this one. The map had good pacing and was a nice short romp.

4 hours ago, Astro X said:

Tested on Skulltag

For future reference, you're definitely going to want to test your maps on currently used source ports, rather than one that has been dead for 9 years. Otherwise, you're just going to get a myriad of bugs being pointed out by Doomers across many different ports.

Fun map. There are definitely some... oddities that make the map not flow as well as it could do. Examples are:

- Shootable switches looking the same as pressable switches. It leaves the player unsure as to how to interact with things.

- The RL softlock mentioned above. The switch you need to shoot isn't necessarily obvious, for the above reason.

- Being unsure what doors open. The yellow "door" with the demon head on it isn't opened by pressing it, but the purple door (the red door) later on is.

- Multiple instances of RL/PG, although admittedly some were secret. You really need both the RL and PG for this map, so maybe the reward for secrets is better as just being extra ammo.

The combat itself was very nice though. A nice slaughter-lite experience, with enough there to keep the player busy, especially with the AV placements.

1 hour ago, philcul said:

What do you mean with this? Or did something get edited out?

Otherwise I have to say I had quite some good fun with this one. The map had good pacing and was a nice short romp.

I'm referring to the hint in the OP. The forced cheating basically breaks a path to progress through the level.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

For future reference, you're definitely going to want to test your maps on currently used source ports, rather than one that has been dead for 9 years. Otherwise, you're just going to get a myriad of bugs being pointed out by Doomers across many different ports.

Well put Bio!

Short but fun map (I still don't know what you meant with the switch in the first room).

Tested in both gzdoom and dsda doom.

Had no issues with gzdoom but in dsda doom the ssg and chaingun lifts didn't work.

My only problem is with the color coding of doors, you should use the keys texture to mark that a door can be opened with that key, not that the key is in that room.

The combat was pretty cool, can't wait to see more maps from you!

Edited by Blip : Spawners weren't broken

16 hours ago, philcul said:

Or did something get edited out?

I edited out, I explain in this video.

16 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

you're definitely going to want to test your maps on currently used source ports, rather than one that has been dead for 9 years.

Yea, sorry about that. It's because I downloaded this Skulltag when I discovered you could do that back in the day, around 10 years ago, and I play through that ever since. I guess I have missed a lot of changes since then (I recently got back to playing again and discovered modding).

Thank you all for the feedback, I guess I cover all of them in this video!

Here's a walkthrough of this map's fights and secrets :D

Edited by Astro X

This was an extremely fun map...this is something I'll probably revisit many times over. Thanks for the map :D 

I'll def look forward to whatever else you're gonna make in the future :>

Tho I wanna ask whether this map has co-op mode....have a feeling it could have been harder :3

10 hours ago, i suck at nicknames said:

This was an extremely fun map...this is something I'll probably revisit many times over. Thanks for the map :D 

I'll def look forward to whatever else you're gonna make in the future :>

Tho I wanna ask whether this map has co-op mode....have a feeling it could have been harder :3

Thank you so much, buddy!

Yea, the map was meant to be more difficult than that, but I thought many casual players would not appreciate that much of a difficulty.

I'm not exactly sure how to implement co-op settings. I'd love to add a "UV plus" kind of difficulty for those who seek a real big, yet fun challenge.

20 hours ago, Astro X said:

Thank you so much, buddy!

Yea, the map was meant to be more difficult than that, but I thought many casual players would not appreciate that much of a difficulty.

I'm not exactly sure how to implement co-op settings. I'd love to add a "UV plus" kind of difficulty for those who seek a real big, yet fun challenge.

Well. you're on DW, the greatest Doom resource guide under one virtual roof :3 

Sure you can find a way, in case you're interested in taking that extra step ^_^