Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

DooM 64 CE

Hi, I just downloaded this source port for DooM 64 and while it seems very nice, I wonder how is it, that is has all maps, absolution, lost levels, etc, when I did not provide any iwad or any extra files to make it work? Does it automaticaly find the iwads in my steam folder? I bought the official DooM 64 remaster from steam.

7 minutes ago, Bingo Johnson said:

Maybe he is talking about this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce

Thanks, that was useful ;)

1 hour ago, Sokoro said:

Hi, I just downloaded this source port for DooM 64 and while it seems very nice, I wonder how is it, that is has all maps, absolution, lost levels, etc, when I did not provide any iwad or any extra files to make it work? Does it automaticaly find the iwads in my steam folder? I bought the official DooM 64 remaster from steam.

Since it is a GZDoom build, it probably autodetect your iwads on steam/gog folder.
As for the Doom64 IWAD, as far as i know, it is still not supported by GZDoom, so the Doom 64 part you are playing is probably an approximation, much like Doom 64: Retribution

It uses Retribution and the PSX TC as an IWAD. Then an addon pk3 is autoloaded on top of them to apply a ton of hacks to make them more faithful (some based on GEC ME) and all of the optional features. It is only an approximation because not everything is possible to recreate using GZDoom, though I must say that thanks to ZScript, a lot was achieved.

I wanted to use the original PSXDOOM / DOOM64 wads as dependencies but it isn't possible unless GZDoom detects them and adds them into their supported IWAD list, which it does not. Other creative alternatives to detect them always ended up in being too complex to implement and easy to circumvent by the player.

EDIT: Also technically this isn't a source port. It's just a total conversion, i.e GZDoom with a complex mod loaded on top of it.

42 minutes ago, molecicco said:

It uses Retribution and the PSX TC as an IWAD. Then an addon pk3 is autoloaded on top of them to apply a ton of hacks to make them more faithful (some based on GEC ME) and all of the optional features. It is only an approximation because not everything is possible to recreate using GZDoom, though I must say that thanks to ZScript, a lot was achieved.

I wanted to use the original PSXDOOM / DOOM64 wads as dependencies but it isn't possible unless GZDoom detects them and adds them into their supported IWAD list, which it does not. Other creative alternatives to detect them always ended up in being too complex to implement and easy to circumvent by the player.

EDIT: Also technically this isn't a source port. It's just a total conversion, i.e GZDoom with a complex mod loaded on top of it.

Thanks for the indepth answer :)

7 hours ago, Sokoro said:

Hi, I just downloaded this source port for DooM 64 and while it seems very nice, I wonder how is it, that is has all maps, absolution, lost levels,

3 hours ago, molecicco said:

Aside from everything else, we most certainly didn't give people permission to rip Lost Levels.

Hello, I saw the update @molecicco that you have changed Doom 64 CE to require the Doom 64 iwad and you have also removed the Lost Levels, I imagine based on Nightdive's lack of permission.

But wouldn't making Doom 64's wad that comes with the new port solve that issue in itself? Because at least there, someone is required to use the game they have purchased that contains the content of the Lost Levels to use it. As a customer who bought the Doom 64 port (it's very good), I certainly understand Nightdive's issue before, but with the new requirement, would reconsideration be possible? I put that forth as a suggestion from a supporter of both parties, because Molecicco's conversion is a great extension of Doom 64 itself with features I would miss being able to use to play those levels. 

If it's not likely to happen soon, is there a possiblity for it to happen down the road at least? 

On 7/30/2021 at 11:10 AM, hybridial said:

But wouldn't making Doom 64's wad that comes with the new port solve that issue in itself? Because at least there, someone is required to use the game they have purchased that contains the content of the Lost Levels to use it. As a customer who bought the Doom 64 port (it's very good), I certainly understand Nightdive's issue before, but with the new requirement, would reconsideration be possible? I put that forth as a suggestion from a supporter of both parties, because Molecicco's conversion is a great extension of Doom 64 itself with features I would miss being able to use to play those levels. 

I see what you are saying! Right now CE requires the Steam doom64.wad to play, which does have the lost levels in them. But whether it is kosher to include them back into CE because of that is a bit of a grey area. Given how other Doom remix-mods kind of work, it seems like as long as it requires players to buy the game with the lost levels, it "may..." be okay to have the Lost Levels in CE in the near future.

On 7/30/2021 at 10:10 AM, hybridial said:

If it's not likely to happen soon, is there a possiblity for it to happen down the road at least? 

It's not up to me. I will be respectful to what Nightdive requested the ModDB staff:

We have been notified by Nightdive Studios that the Lost Levels contained in your mod files are not permitted for reposting, even with modification. As a result, we are going to have to ask you remove these files from your mod download.

On this issue we can only change our stance if Nightdive themselves reach out again to correct their complaint regarding DOOM 64. Once they've made their intention we can't rescind it without another official word from them. Sorry about the inconvenience.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:41 PM, Immorpher said:

I see what you are saying! Right now CE requires the Steam doom64.wad to play, which does have the lost levels in them. But whether it is kosher to include them back into CE because of that is a bit of a grey area. Given how other Doom remix-mods kind of work, it seems like as long as it requires players to buy the game with the lost levels, it "may..." be okay to have the Lost Levels in CE in the near future.

Does anyone know why the "fun levels" were removed with the new version? thats was one of the coolest features in the package

On 8/2/2021 at 12:56 PM, sbw37 said:

Does anyone know why the "fun levels" were removed with the new version? thats was one of the coolest features in the package

They are still there, but you must complete Hectic (reap its rewards) to unlock them in the episode selection menu.

If you don't feel like doing that, type "unl_bonus 1" in the console to force unlock them.

On 8/12/2021 at 8:44 PM, molecicco said:

They are still there, but you must complete Hectic (reap its rewards) to unlock them in the episode selection menu.

If you don't feel like doing that, type "unl_bonus 1" in the console to force unlock them.

oh whew thank god lol i was worried for a minute. genius idea for creating that. it feels like playing the first quake. so whats your next big project after beta64 if you dont mind me asking? i saw you converted the knee deep in the dead episode (which is quite awesome). are you going to convert it as another addition to the growing episode list? as always yall are doing a great job with all the conversion projects

Edited by sbw37 : wanted to add more texts