• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doom guy66

What is a Devilution?

Evolution of Devil, I think.

Spoiler

From Wikitionary:

EvilutionEvolutionary theory viewed as something evil. 

Sounds right, I haven't found the definition for Evilution anywhere so, I was kinda confused on what that meant too, and Devilution didn't even sound like a real word.

Woah! I did not know it was a real word. For the longest time, I assumed it was some cheesy pun made by Team TNT.

Just now, Rudolph said:

Woah! I did not know it was a real word. For the longest time, I assumed it was some cheesy pun made by Team TNT.

Same, thought it was kind of a play on words

38 minutes ago, doom guy66 said:

Devilution

Also may come from De-evolution, meaning that is a donwgrade from what it previously was an Evolution.
*wink*

:P

7 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

what's a revilution?

no reason, but this remind me to ''Mommy, what's a Funkadelic?''

hahaha

Rev-Evilution:

Revenants are meaner now

Revolution:

Paradigm shift after a struggling situation at tension peak

Re-Evilution:

meaning, more or beyond

They're all portmanteaus with "evil", nothin' fancier than that:

• Evolution -> Evilution
  • Devolution -> Devilution
  • Revolution -> Revilution

Just some fun wordplay. Devilution also having "devil" in the name is just the icing on the cake. :P

11 minutes ago, Xaser said:

• Evolution -> Evilution

Just some fun wordplay. Devilution also having "devil" in the name is just the icing on the cake. :P

Thanks, professor...

Now if i may ask, this question been struggling me since BIRTH, almost...

...what's ''a Xaser''?

8 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

Its like a laser, but way cooler.

Even when i read it as it is writen, Xaser, my mind make it sound like ''Saxer''.

So now it is a way cooler sax lasering player.

Bird and Coltrane surelly will be envious.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

...what's ''a Xaser''?

Lesser men have gone mad exploring the answer to this question.

3 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

Lesser men have gone mad exploring the answer to this question.

glad you are here with your own experience to prevent us maddening ourselves... more than we already are :P

2 hours ago, Xaser said:

• Evolution -> Evilution

Sounds right

I always think of Devo when I hear that title. It's a play on words from devolution, which means delegating power to a lower body in political terms, but it essentially means regression, not progression; unlike evolution. Devilution is simple wordplay, because it's cool because the Devil is in the title. Are there people that can't understand a play on words? I hope not.

And I do think it's funny that "Whip It" became such a popular song. It's about people behaving, and being treated like cattle, like animals. It wasn't just a fun pop song. Oh well.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

TNT2 wasn't made by TeamTNT.

4 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Well it's not really a real world. It's still a cheesy pun, even if multiple different people came up with it on their own.

3 hours ago, P41R47 said:

...what's ''a Xaser''?

An x-ray laser.

Since "laser" is an acronym for "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation", if you use something else than light as your laser wave, you've gotta change the acronym accordingly. So "X-ray amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" becomes Xaser. There's also "maser" for microwaves, and (hypothetically, as no such device exist in the real world), "graser" for gamma rays, and even "spaser" for surface plasmons.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

TNT2 wasn't made by TeamTNT.

I know! I was talking about "evilution", which does have an entry in Wiktionary. ;)

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Well it's not really a real word. It's still a cheesy pun, even if multiple different people came up with it on their own.

Well, it is apparently enough of a "real" word to be acknowledged by a fairly respectable online dictionary.

1 hour ago, Jello said:

And I do think it's funny that "Whip It" became such a popular song. It's about people behaving, and being treated like cattle, like animals. It wasn't just a fun pop song. Oh well.

One of the funniest things of that, is that Devo tried to mimic the ''songwriting style'' of Thomas Pynchon on that song.

An about the wordplay being difficult to graps for some, well, not reading is, literally, killing the masses.
I knew someone that when watching the video ''Butterfly with Bullet Wings'', didn't understand the chorus saying ''Despite all my rage, i'm still just a rat in a cage'', as there was no Nicholas on screen.

:/

Spoiler

QfHLBle.jpg

Edited by P41R47

8 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

'Butterfly with Bullet Wings''

Other way around, there's no such things as bullet wings.

Unless you count the Christmas Bullet, but its wings were a terrible idea.

6 hours ago, doom guy66 said:

What is a Devilution?

Just something that still needs to have:

Spoiler

beat-the-devil-out-of-it-thats-right.jpg.449c30cd603c7bdb43ea26cc60b2522d.jpg

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

One of the funniest things of that, is that Devo tried to mimic the ''songwriting style'' of Thomas Pynchon on that song.

An about the wordplay being difficult to graps for some, well, not reading is, literally, killing the masses.
I knew someone that when watching the video ''Butterfly with Bullet Wings'', didn't understand the chorus saying ''Despite all my rage, i'm still just a rat in a cage'', as there was no Nicholas on screen.

:/

Hide contents

QfHLBle.jpg

Thank you. You just made me weep for humanity, and I hope you feel good about yourself.

I suppose it doesn't surprise me. I'm amazed at how many times I've told what I thought was an absolutely blatant joke, and it fell on deaf ears. A joke where I thought "There is no way in the world or the world beyond where this could be interpreted as anything but a joke". And just nothing, blank stares. And I know people that get jokes, but so many people just have no comprehension of wordplay. But I do think it's people not reading, hence they aren't able to understand words. I started reading fervently when I was four years old, my parents and grandparents read to me. I loved knowledge. I was reading at a college level by sixth grade. 

I was thinking about it yesterday, we carry around a device that literally lets us access the entirety of human knowledge, and people won't use it to look something up. A library is a giant compendium of knowledge, that you used to have to travel to, sometimes across great distances, to find out a piece of knowledge. Now all of that is in your hand, literally the entirety of human knowledge at your finger tips. But hey, might as well look at some pictures of cats instead.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't know something, there is literally no excuse for not finding the answer. All human knowledge is in your pocket, just look it up.

5 minutes ago, Jello said:

Thank you. You just made me weep for humanity, and I hope you feel good about yourself.

I suppose it doesn't surprise me. I'm amazed at how many times I've told what I thought was an absolutely blatant joke, and it fell on deaf ears. A joke where I thought "There is no way in the world or the world beyond where this could be interpreted as anything but a joke". And just nothing, blank stares. And I know people that get jokes, but so many people just have no comprehension of wordplay. But I do think it's people not reading, hence they aren't able to understand words. I started reading fervently when I was four years old, my parents and grandparents read to me. I loved knowledge. I was reading at a college level by sixth grade. 

I was thinking about it yesterday, we carry around a device that literally lets us access the entirety of human knowledge, and people won't use it to look something up. A library is a giant compendium of knowledge, that you used to have to travel to, sometimes across great distances, to find out a piece of knowledge. Now all of that is in your hand, literally the entirety of human knowledge at your finger tips. But hey, might as well look at some pictures of cats instead.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you don't know something, there is literally no excuse for not finding the answer. All human knowledge is in your pocket, just look it up.

Actually, to be postmodern because why not, With great power, comes great responsibility.

Most people don't want to feel they are responsible of something.
Having aknowledge of something means possible making a difference, and no, they only want to fit, not be different.

So, even the most advanced device who would let people know whatever they want in the glimpse of an eye, will be use to know just the usual:

Boobs

Cats

and how to be millonaire

Even when they are the first to raise their hands when something they doesn't want is menacing them, they will not took up the responsability.
There are millions campaings trying to help people get social and global awareness, but they prefer going out, having fun with friends, and so, even on these quarantine times.

My neighbourg was like that, he got covid, his mom died. He blames the government for not having the vaccines at time. And that was on the very first months of the lockdown, when there wasn't any kind of vaccine yet.

Its easier to blame other than be responsable of your own acts.

And its a shame lot of people had to grow that way.

8 hours ago, Xaser said:

• Evolution -> Evilution

This is exactly it. Revilution meant 'industrial revolution'. For this same reason, the planned bonus episode Convilution was so named because the whole TNT2 drama was so convoluted

A wad that I wish was out. It's been 12 years... TNT 2 Devilution is never gonna come out, will it?

We had Revilution back near 2017/2018-ish... but...