Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I_Am_Doom_Man

Having trouble with monster closets not triggering

I'm a bit confused on how exactly to do a monster closet.  I'm working with Ultimate Doom Builder in udmf format. As you see in the screen shot, I have an armor resting on a platform where after you press the switch on it, it lowers allowing you to grab it. I want to put a linedef in front of the armor to trigger a monster closet on other side of the room. I'm just not sure how to do this though. I have the two line defs in front of the chaingunner marked as a door to open (action 12) when the player walks over. I gave it a tag and assigned the linedef the same tag but it doesn't seem to work.

ex1.png

ex2.png

Edited by I_Am_Doom_Man

13 minutes ago, I_Am_Doom_Man said:

I'm a bit confused on how exactly to do a monster closet.  I'm working with Ultimate Doom Builder in udmf format. As you see in the screen shot, I have an armor resting on a platform where after you press the switch on it, it lowers allowing you to grab it. I want to put a linedef in front of the armor to trigger a monster closet on other side of the room. I'm just not sure how to do this though. I have the two line defs in front of the chaingunner marked as a door to open (action 12) when the player walks over. I gave it a tag and assigned the linedef the same tag but it doesn't seem to work.

ex1.png

ex2.png

The action you want to happen should be on the linedef you're crossing, rather than the door to be opened.

The tag needs to be on the door's sector, not it's linedefs.

So I cleared everything, set the lindef to trigger door opens when player walks over, set the tag to 10, clicked on the sector and simply gave it the same tag and it still doesn't work. Is it something about the fact that I'm setting a lindef trigger on a platform that moves that it's not working?

I think this thread would be better placed in the Doom Editing forum, no?

It's hard to say what's causing the issue without being able to open up what you have in UDB, but did you make sure that:

1. the door raise action is set to the linedef that you have crossing the green armor?

2. the door's sector tag is set to 10, not the sector where the chaingunner is placed?

3. in the trigger's linedef properties, you have 10 in the "sector tag" dropdown right below where the "action" dropdown is (not below where it says "identification")?

One other thing of note I can see in the screenshot is that you have the linedef trigger inside the green armor. Players will only trigger a linedef action once half of their body has crossed a linedef, making it possible to grab the green armor in your setup without triggering the trap, even if you have the action working properly. You can prevent this from happening by putting the linedef trigger in front of the armor rather than through it.

6 minutes ago, Fiendish said:

I think this thread would be better placed in the Doom Editing forum, no?

It's hard to say what's causing the issue without being able to open up what you have in UDB, but did you make sure that:

1. the door raise action is set to the linedef that you have crossing the green armor?

2. the door's sector tag is set to 10, not the sector where the chaingunner is placed?

3. in the trigger's linedef properties, you have 10 in the "sector tag" dropdown right below where the "action" dropdown is (not below where it says "identification")?

One other thing of note I can see in the screenshot is that you have the linedef trigger inside the green armor. Players will only trigger a linedef action once half of their body has crossed a linedef, making it possible to grab the green armor in your setup without triggering the trap, even if you have the action working properly. You can prevent this from happening by putting the linedef trigger in front of the armor rather than through it.

Apologies, I thought I was posting there but hadn't noticed, my mistake.

Not having the number in the sector tag instead of Identification was my issue. Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, I_Am_Doom_Man said:

Apologies, I thought I was posting there but hadn't noticed, my mistake.

Not having the number in the sector tag instead of Identification was my issue. Thanks so much!

No worries! Glad to be able to help. :-)