Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That is not something Boom can inherently do, no.

I see! Thank you for the quick response! :)

I'll just stick to my turbo-lifts, then.

In XwE you can list unused textures (doesn't work for all wad structures and certainly not for pk3's...) and I think there's a way to also do it in SLade but I forget. Thing is, what I really want is a way to list unused things from a set of levels. That would be very helpful to know that in a megawad, that nobody used the short green pillar or whatever so I could then go and replace it with a tree for example. I mean if I was crazy enough I could use Doom Builder and use the View Thing Types... for each map.

It's something that might be feasible with a Lua script in SLADE...

Does anyone have a good ampersand (&) in large white doom letters, that would fit on CWILV graphics.

I found only some fairly lousy ones so far.

On 7/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Gez said:

It's something that might be feasible with a Lua script in SLADE...

I almost forgot I even asked the question. I'll just do it the long way. ;)

I'm trying to figure out MAPINFO by looking at other wads, and I'm not sure - do I need to cover everything, or only having entries for defaultmap and episodes would suffice, if I already covered map names and text screens in DEHACKED lump and just want to disable jumping and add episodes?

38 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I'm trying to figure out MAPINFO by looking at other wads, and I'm not sure - do I need to cover everything, or only having entries for defaultmap and episodes would suffice, if I already covered map names and text screens in DEHACKED lump and just want to disable jumping and add episodes?

Defaultmap only sets new defaults to new map entries and cannot do anything on its own, as you cannot retroactively apply new properties to existing entries. You must define maps after defaultmap for those defaults to actually apply.

9 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Defaultmap only sets new defaults to new map entries and cannot do anything on its own, as you cannot retroactively apply new properties to existing entries. You must define maps after defaultmap for those defaults to actually apply.

I see. Do I need to specify name, sky and all that or can I just run with empty entries?

22 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I see. Do I need to specify name, sky and all that or can I just run with empty entries?

You'll need to specify everything that isn't a default, such as the name and sky, yes.

56 minutes ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

Hey does anyone know how to make smooth weapons or add gib frames for monsters that don't have gib frames for vanilla doom using Wahcked4? 

Try Smooth Doom

I was checking out the Experimental Mixed Bag Salad wad and I wanted to open it up in Doom Builder 2 just to mess around with it. However, Doom Builder doesn't show it in my Doom wad folder every time I try to open it. In addition, I made a test wad with one custom texture which also doesn't show up.

Is there a way to get Doom Builder to recognize them? Are they missing something that causes them to not show up?

2 hours ago, Domestic-Weirdo said:

I was checking out the Experimental Mixed Bag Salad wad and I wanted to open it up in Doom Builder 2 just to mess around with it. However, Doom Builder doesn't show it in my Doom wad folder every time I try to open it. In addition, I made a test wad with one custom texture which also doesn't show up.

Is there a way to get Doom Builder to recognize them? Are they missing something that causes them to not show up?

Doombuilder2 has no problem opening the maps in this particular pwad.

Spoiler

ATCL8jp.png

0WH1ZRb.png

You may want to upgrade your editor to at least GZDoom Builder, which has this feature to be able to open other maps in a multi-map pwad without having to close and open the editor to see the other maps.

Spoiler

6bUHkZf.png

Or, better still, go whole hog and use Ultimate Doom Builder.

As for your custom texture: did you include this texture as a patch with new TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps to register it as a texture?

Edited by Kappes Buur

49 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Doombuilder2 has no problem opening the maps in this particular pwad.

Reveal hidden contents

ATCL8jp.png

0WH1ZRb.png

You may want to upgrade your editor to at least GZDoom Builder, which has this feature to be able to open other maps in a multi-map pwad without having to close and open the editor to see the other maps.

Reveal hidden contents

6bUHkZf.png

Or, better still, go whole hog and use Ultimate Doom Builder.

As for your custom texture: did you include this texture as a patch with new TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps to register it as a texture?

I'm ashamed to admit that it turns out that the wad files were somehow relocated to a different folder. Now that they been placed back in my Doom folder everything shows up just fine. Apologies for my rookie mistake.

I’m making a BOOM compatible map. What are the ramifications of using MP3 music instead of MIDI? I’ve heard it should play in PrBoom+, and it should in GZDoom as well. Would this decision hinder my wad’s source port compatibility in any actual way or am I just worrying about weird edge-use cases that most players don’t actually encounter?

6 hours ago, RDETalus said:

I’m making a BOOM compatible map. What are the ramifications of using MP3 music instead of MIDI? I’ve heard it should play in PrBoom+, and it should in GZDoom as well. Would this decision hinder my wad’s source port compatibility in any actual way or am I just worrying about weird edge-use cases that most players don’t actually encounter?

If you use an OGG instead of an MP3 (ogg codecs are more common), the only ports that won't be able to play that back is the original Boom and MBF ports, and maybe a couple more lesser known ones.

Is there a way to restore hardcoded intermission screen (Already using dehacked) while also using MAPINFO and if not, how exactly do I make intermission screen when entering a secret level?

I figured my previous question out, but still trying to make heads and tails out of different MAPINFO types.

Does UMAPINFO have nojump, nocrouch and nofreelook equivalents?

Ok, so I have to ask. How you've been able to build/create MAP32?

As I'm currently struggling with ZDBSP, I've just realized one thing:

gdb_008.png.47ab3bbe991224363008b4aac135a8f6.png

gdb_009.png.3ab2755858c1941c905ca71e646cebf6.png

It isn't important to load compressed nodes as much. Not if there isn't any BLOCKMAP and probably correct REJECT lump for this level. But so far:

----MAP32----
   BSP: 100.0%
   VERTEXES is past the normal limit. (50806 vertices)
   BLOCKMAP is so big that ports will have to recreate it.
   Vanilla Doom cannot handle it at all. If this map is for ZDoom 2+,
   you should use the -b switch to save space in the wad.
   27.597 seconds.

no luck. The level (MAP32) is so darn big, no tool (at least known to me) will even dare to touch it.

May I ask a question? How you've been able to build level 32 for release in the final WAD? Suggestions appreciated.

Compiled with whatever settings we had at the time in UDB / GZDB-BF. Honestly though, again, this is a question for another thread such as this one - I needn't keep saying we're not here to support running / compiling / whatevering this wad for ports it was never intended for.

In BTSX Episode 01 Map 02, there is a ladder (in northwest part of the map, in the vents) made by simply having a bunch of linedefs next to each other (1mu apart), with no actual geometry. I checked and it works in vanilla (well, Chocolate) too. But... how and why does it work? I'd understand if there were sectors, but there are none. In fact, there are only offset middle textures of ladder rungs, which correct me if I'm wrong, but middle textures don't normally have collision in Doom unless you explicitly add it, right? And the linedefs are just regular linedefs, simply marked as double-sided and lower unpegged. Shouldn't these behave simply as false walls? Why can you climb on them?

And no, there is no ACS or invisible bridge actors. I'm at a loss why this even works.

23 minutes ago, Shino1 said:

In BTSX Episode 01 Map 02, there is a ladder (in northwest part of the map, in the vents) made by simply having a bunch of linedefs next to each other (1mu apart), with no actual geometry. I checked and it works in vanilla (well, Chocolate) too. But... how and why does it work? I'd understand if there were sectors, but there are none.

Well that's because there is, after all every other option is impossible. There is no ACS, bridge actors, or middle texture collisions in Vanilla Doom. There is only sectors, so because every other option is impossible, the initial idea you dismissed must be the only truth, and it is.

Sector selection mode in Doom Builder gives away the situation:

image.png.3420cf67960988d5ec4645ca62fd5beb.png

Each step in the ladder is made of a sector that produces the step, however each step is a sector made of a single line, and that line is self referencing so only the middle texture is rendered. As you know from Plutonia, self referencing sectors are invisible to the renderer but still produce collision, the same still applies even if there is a only single line, and you can still have a middle texture rendered on the line.

Hello, guys. Anyone know how to hide player model in UDB to not see it in portal sets? Doom software render solution is preferable.

Edited by CycleOfFire

Does anyone know if there is a way to "freeze" textures in UDB? Like if you're 100% happy with the way a texture looks then you can freeze it in place so it doesn't get affected by any future auto-aligns? I'm using mostly vanilla textures with lots of splits to make sure they align properly, but the most annoying thing is when you look back at something you've painstakingly aligned and it's been completely ruined after dozens of auto-aligns you've made elsewhere.

comp.PNG.cc9013cbc9aaa91cf7d75a4339f336f5.PNGimage.png.3a2a130b5136ea5497e7918f123e6991.png

I know upper and lower textures can't be aligned independently but this is still true if you're just aligning a wall pattern or texture edge but still want to auto align the same texture further along on the same wall without the pattern or edge you've aligned being affected... I mean, maybe I just need to stop auto-aligning everything but I swear there have been loads of times where something has to be auto-aligned but if I do then it will always screw up something else.

That would require the editor to save metadata to the map, putting a new flag on the line but not one that would interfere with the game.

Unfortunately, the simplest way I can see to implement this would be exclusive to UDMF, as the format includes the ability to put comments on any map object (vertex, line, side, sector, or thing), so an editor could use that functionality to store such metadata as special comments.

The alternative would be to design a full metadata structure that would get tied to the map somehow, in the fashion of the PLATFORM/TAGDESC lumps from Geoff Allan's DoomEd.

3 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

[snip snip]but the most annoying thing is when you look back at something you've painstakingly aligned and it's been completely ruined after dozens of auto-aligns you've made elsewhere.[snip snip]

Don't auto-align without first selecting.

On 8/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, Redoom said:

How do I have motivation for modding

Take a timer, and spend an hour on modding. At the end of the hour, do something nice for yourself as a reward, like eat candy or something. After several days of doing that your brain will associate modding with the pleasant reward.

This might or might not work depending on your willpower to not reward yourself instead instantly.

Also in general, work on projects you're really excited and passionate about. We're all doing it for fun after all. Oh, and don't increase scope of your project if it's not necessary, smaller but polished is generally better, a lot of projects died from endless feature creep.

I had been reading the DEHEXTRA page on the good ol' DOOM Wiki and it mentions that DEHEXTRA can be configured in patch settings by selecting the Doom Retro parameter in WhackEd. The list of engine settings include the aforementioned Doom Retro and another called Extended DeHackEd which also appears to provide additional states, along with the same flag sets, for modders to use. I've read a few posts here that seem to use the terms interchangeably so it left me wondering about the differences between the two.

Are they essentially the same and if so, why are they both included within patch settings for WhackEd?