Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

hey, could you make it so that dragging and dropping a demo file onto woof will load it with -playback instead of with -file?

Not sure if it's a Woof-related question, but why can one only hear a few seconds of the main menu song before it being cut off by the demo? Is it actually possible to hear the midi in its full length?

Yeah, most (if not all) demo compatible ports autoload built in demos after a few seconds. I don't think anything can be done about that.

Curious if more message colors are somehow planned? Not sure how feasible it would be with the menu system. This is a very inoffensive thing and purely cosmetic so it's by no means something to prioritize!

Hey just checking in after a bit of a hiatus, glad to see this project picking up more steam! That is all.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:37 AM, roadworx said:

hey, could you make it so that dragging and dropping a demo file onto woof will load it with -playback instead of with -file?

Unfortunately, not every file with a .lmp extension is actually a demo.

On 8/6/2021 at 12:37 AM, game said:

Not sure if it's a Woof-related question, but why can one only hear a few seconds of the main menu song before it being cut off by the demo? Is it actually possible to hear the midi in its full length?

On 8/6/2021 at 2:07 AM, Danfun64 said:

Yeah, most (if not all) demo compatible ports autoload built in demos after a few seconds. I don't think anything can be done about that.

If you replace the demos with empty lumps, the demos won't play, leaving the main menu uninterrupted. Or at least that's how PrBoom+/dsda-doom behave, I haven't tried with other source ports.

So, I can't get the music to play on linux. I checked I had everything installed, and followed @Ar_e_en guide to the letter, but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

9 hours ago, Shepardus said:

If you replace the demos with empty lumps, the demos won't play, leaving the main menu uninterrupted. Or at least that's how PrBoom+/dsda-doom behave, I haven't tried with other source ports.

Yes, this can be seen with Eviternity and Sunlust I believe. However this does NOT work with vanilla -- it will bomb out with the "Demo is of a different game version!" error. Kinda sucks since you also have to make sure there's no revenants in those internal demos...

Hello again, I'm stopping by here to ask a few questions regarding woof: 1st things 1st, so doom explorer, right? In the launcher there's a text box for additional command line parameters for one to input whatever. Earlier before people used to type in "-complevel *insert number here*" to get the right compatibility to work with what the wad itself said it required in the .txt file. My question is (and just to double check w/ you fellas) would the names of the complevels run smoothly for woof? (Ex: -complevel vanilla instead of -complevel 2) I wanted to know if typing -complevel mbf21 would work just fine and not yk get borked up and just run it in regular, buggy mbf (as we all know -complevel 11)?

I'm also gonna be that guy again asking where's the option for turning on the ability for the endoom screen to display? Yes I know, I'm weird, I like looking at the endoom screens of wads b/c they're neat and I never found them to be a bother :P.

52 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

My question is (and just to double check w/ you fellas) would the names of the complevels run smoothly for woof?

Yes.

52 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

I'm also gonna be that guy again asking where's the option for turning on the ability for the endoom screen to display? Yes I know, I'm weird, I like looking at the endoom screens of wads b/c they're neat and I never found them to be a bother :P.

ENDOOM is not yet implemented (and you're the first one to ask). ;)

On 8/6/2021 at 9:23 AM, dmdr said:

OK moving on, I believe I've found a bug with stair builders in 6.3.0: if you check MAP08 in DBP38 there is a line at X659 Y-759 that is supposed to raise a bunch of stairs -- four sectors are tagged. In Woof with the default complevel set to MBF21 only one set actually raises (the ones that create the BFG pyramid, if you've played already).

This will be fixed in the next release, thanks for the report. Also, we added support for COMPLVL lump.

Would it be possible to add options for a crosshair as well as support for higher resolutions, i.e. 1080p?

On 8/10/2021 at 12:58 AM, fabian said:

ENDOOM is not yet implemented (and you're the first one to ask). ;)

Funny, I was meaning to ask you this but I'd forgotten! I was however wanting to ask if you were going to port over brightmaps from Crispy Doom?

46 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Funny, I was meaning to ask you this but I'd forgotten! I was however wanting to ask if you were going to port over brightmaps from Crispy Doom?

The brightmaps are awesome. I remember I even played Freedoom in Crispy and had those glowing computer stations in the dark.

Also, I happened to play a beta version of Woof that had functioning OPL midi in it. I hope Woof won't be stripped of this option forever. The retroer the better!

On 8/11/2021 at 3:22 AM, Spectre01 said:

Would it be possible to add options for a crosshair as well as support for higher resolutions, i.e. 1080p?

A simple crosshair would be possible, sure. Higher resolutions are out of question.

13 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

ENDOOM support is somwehere on the TODO list, but needs prior porting over of libtextscreen.

Brightmaps are a special beast. There is no canonical reference implementation available and the choice which pixels to highlight in which texture/sprite is very subjective. This is one of the features that you can never get right for everybody - even for IWADs. It will immediately break for PWADs which add custom textures for which other pixels should rather get highlighted.

13 hours ago, game said:

Also, I happened to play a beta version of Woof that had functioning OPL midi in it. I hope Woof won't be stripped of this option forever. The retroer the better!

@rfomin had a branch which ported the entire sound backend over from Crispy. However, I found this change a bit too intrusive so it never got merged. Anyway, OPL emulation is on the TODO list, it's just going to use a different implementation.

The Doom Compatibility menu behaves rather strangely when there's an OPTIONS lump loaded -- it looks normal but there's no visible cursor. Perhaps settings set by OPTIONS should be "faded out?"

Woof! 6.3.1

• SDL's endianness swapping functions are now used.
  • A demo footer is added when recording a demo (@rfomin).
  • The EV_BuildStairs() implementation has been brought in line with PrBoom+ (@rfomin).
  • Support for the COMPLVL lump has been added (@rfomin).
  • The UMAPINFO demo extension header has been deprecated (@rfomin).

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/download/woof_6.3.1/Woof-6.3.1-win32.zip

20 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

The Doom Compatibility menu behaves rather strangely when there's an OPTIONS lump loaded -- it looks normal but there's no visible cursor. Perhaps settings set by OPTIONS should be "faded out?"

Can't reproduce, it works fine for me. What combination of WADs and complevel are you using?

7 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Can't reproduce, it works fine for me. What combination of WADs and complevel are you using?

This can be reproduced using the MBF21 defaults for OPTIONS:

Spoiler

# General / AI

weapon_recoil 0

monsters_remember 1

monster_infighting 1

monster_backing 0

monster_avoid_hazards 1

monkeys 0

monster_friction 1

help_friends 0

player_helpers 0

friend_distance 128

dog_jumping 1

# Compatibility Flags

comp_telefrag 

comp_dropoff 0

comp_vile 0

comp_pain 0

comp_skull 0

comp_blazing 0

comp_doorlight

comp_model 0

comp_god 0

comp_falloff 0

comp_floors 0

comp_skymap 0

comp_pursuit 1

comp_doorstuck 0

comp_staylift 0

comp_zombie 1

comp_stairs 0

comp_infcheat 0

comp_zerotags 0

comp_respawn 0

comp_soul 0

comp_ledgeblock 1

comp_friendlyspawn 1

...and a COMPLVL entry of mbf21. However, I just realized you have to start a new game for it to start happening, not just when the game first starts in the main menu.

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

However, I just realized you have to start a new game for it to start happening, not just when the game first starts in the main menu.

You're right. I tested in Dosbox with the original MBF.exe - this is the vanilla behavior. @fabian should we change this for better clarity?

Also, I know this isn't Crispy Doom, but seeing as the statistics counters on the automap are otherwise identical to their implementation there, would you be willing to add in the +X number next to the total kill count for arch-vile resurrections?

Can we have the "misc sound fixes" like in crispy doom? Playing in vanilla complevel the fast doors makes that horrendous double sound and i really really dislike it

Brightmaps dont work universally for every single wad out there but they are an extremely appealing additing that can be turned on or off in crispy. I would also recommend porting the crosshair. It's super fun to play with a crosshair in Crispy and the Unity port.

It is a pretty nice source port, especially how the uncapped framerate is done.  Sometimes it can feel a little janky with vsync but this is buttery smooth, nice work!

I gave the port a go this morning and I really *really* like how it feels and plays, it’ll probably become one of my go-to ports for testing my own WADs whenever I get back into mapping. One thing I would like to see though is a way of confirming what compatibility level you are playing with. This has been a complaint of mine for a while that I just never voiced, but with a lot of ports there’s no obvious way in-game to tell whether you’re using a compatibility level or not, which makes me feel like I never really know 100% if I’m playing with the correct compatibility level for the WAD. An alternative would be to give some sort of console output of compatibility level when the port launches? I don’t know if that’s out of the scope of this project, but it’s certainly something I’d love to see so I can confirm my settings when I get into playing a new WAD and don’t run into issues several maps in when I’m expecting the game to be just fine.

2 hours ago, Ultima_ said:

One thing I would like to see though is a way of confirming what compatibility level you are playing with.

In Options->General second page there is a "Default complevel" setting, which is set to "MBF21" by default. Note that if you are not recording competitive demos, the MBF21 complevel will be fine in 99% of the cases.

P_SetupLevel is already logging to stderr, so we could just expand that to print demo_version as well, sure. Regarding in-game, we could probably misuse the COMP cheat for this, which is of very limited use anyway, now that proper complevels are implemented.