Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doommarine_maxi

What are you working on? (Doom 3 edition)

Ok, I see that there is a very popular post in Classic Doom category about sharing the stuff you are making. (I am talking about this post)

Inspired on that, and also taking in account that Doom 3 modding is not totally dead yet, I would like to make this post to incentivate and inspire Doom 3 (and idtech 4 in general) developers to share their stuff so the world can see the work that you are doing.

So, if you are making any mod or map or whatever in Doom 3, feel free to share it here if you can, and don't be shy.

I have a private Git repo of Doom 3 work called simply "Woe". It has several stubs of maps, all together in the same pack, started at different points in time. I can't show screenshots yet (not at my computer), but I've been posting them sporadically on the "Post your Doom Picture" Classic Doom threads. Some stubs:

1. A dungeon-like map with classic-looking architecture. Has a bunch of new scary sounds, which when played actually mean that shit gets real (so you have good reason to be scared). Uses textures downloaded from the internet, a few of which being ill-prepared for Doom 3 (e.g. they have baked-in shadows, when that should be handled by normal maps instead)
  2. A couple of brick dungeon stubs, using the freely downloadable textures from FilterForge.
  3. An interesting hellish map. I actually went farther with this one, but got mapper's block at a door. Managed to make some cool special effects and architecture, but felt limited by the 3D model offering (I was starting to copy-paste all the skulls and giant imp heads), and creating more 3D models of this type is daunting.
  4. An "Administration" inspired techbase. This is the first map I actually made while studying how the id maps are made, trying to reuse as much of the id style as possible.

15 hours ago, printz said:

I have a private Git repo of Doom 3 work called simply "Woe". It has several stubs of maps, all together in the same pack, started at different points in time. I can't show screenshots yet (not at my computer), but I've been posting them sporadically on the "Post your Doom Picture" Classic Doom threads. Some stubs:

1. A dungeon-like map with classic-looking architecture. Has a bunch of new scary sounds, which when played actually mean that shit gets real (so you have good reason to be scared). Uses textures downloaded from the internet, a few of which being ill-prepared for Doom 3 (e.g. they have baked-in shadows, when that should be handled by normal maps instead)
  2. A couple of brick dungeon stubs, using the freely downloadable textures from FilterForge.
  3. An interesting hellish map. I actually went farther with this one, but got mapper's block at a door. Managed to make some cool special effects and architecture, but felt limited by the 3D model offering (I was starting to copy-paste all the skulls and giant imp heads), and creating more 3D models of this type is daunting.
  4. An "Administration" inspired techbase. This is the first map I actually made while studying how the id maps are made, trying to reuse as much of the id style as possible.

Nice!, I would love to see some of those screenshoots here. Glad to know other people is also making maps for Doom 3!
I am personally interested to see the Hellish map, most of mappers make tech-base like maps for Doom 3, but only few tried to make hellish maps, so it is always nice to see that kind of content.

Hmm i once worked on a Deathmatch Map.

I have to get my old PC and save it from destruction and than start rework it :)

this is so cool. I really want to try to start making maps for doom 3.

the work in progress screenshots are fantastic

any advice on how to get started if you are to try and make your very first doom 3 map?

I can start doom 3 and play it but beyond that I know nothing about doom 3

but I have a feeling my urge for true 3d based levels can be satisfied with doom 3 so I no longer have to duke it out with gzdoom... I have so many ideers for doom 3 that I need to try out

Edited by CBM

I finally started getting the hang of very basic concepts with the Doom editor over the past few days, and I'm having a lot of fun messing around and creating different brush shapes, guis and trigger events, but it'll be a while before I'll feel comfortable making something substantial enough to release, let alone something fun and interesting. I'm constantly looking at the vanilla maps to try and learn how some of it's made, and feel like I'm learning a lot just by that.

I am continuously working on a weapon sound overhaul and gameplay mod/addon called Weapons of Mars Destruction and have a lot of fun doing that!

I agree, those screenshots look stellar, especially after seeing how complex it is to make something even half as detailed.

Edited by Lippeth

Making some progress with the gameplay (the details like blood, pieces of flesh, etc... are left for the end)

image.png.2b0f9839e32a959df58a8cfb2d804d49.png

12 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I agree, those screenshots look stellar, especially after seeing how complex it is to make something even half as detailed.

I personally explore original Doom 3 maps, export some parts as prefabs and use them as reference about how to use textures, some geometry, etc... that maybe can help you. 

So, I'm messing around with Doom 3 again and of course that mapping urge is coming back too. What editor are you using? I think I'm settling on Dark Radiant. It works out of the box, is well supported and has an active community behind it. 

Hi! I've been working off and on with a game idea I've had for about five years, originallly it was a GZDoom mod and then last year was messing around with Trenchbroom and Quake, and after forcing myself to get used to Radiant style editing (still not a fan, but now I sorta get how it works a bit better so it's taking a while but I'll get there, lol) I had an idea to instead try to start sketching out map ideas in Doom 3!

Here's the first rough area I've been working on for the last couple of days. The textures aren't well aligned, I really just threw random images onto various brushes but now that I've figured out you can select individual faces, I'll clean it up lol. There's also a GUI I've been working on, since the game was always planned to have a system for interactions very similar to Doom 3 and Alien Isolation.

Looking forward to learning more about working with this engine! (If anyone knows any id tech 4 or Doom 3 modding discords, I'd love to join them!)

ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).gifE6Z4B6-VcAE0SFg.jpg.3f9a67b619a359419ab6e831afb22467.jpgE6fG5BpVkAAr3-E.jpg.c55a280224e0355f47a2af5065eb18d9.jpg

Small quick update. Not actually implemented ingame yet but this is a rough idea I have for what the HUD might look like. It feels like it should all be fairly doable with the GUI system except I'm not sure how long/if the readouts will all be doable how I'm imagining haha (my coding knowledge is very basic Python and ACS :P)

The left display reacts to electrical emissions, it'll indicate electronics, including computer terminals, as well as mechanical devices, both friendly and hostile.

The middle display is a sound meter (I hope to bring in some light stealth elements) It becomes less effective the more noise you generate yourself, but assists in marking out approximate locations of organic entities, but of course loud machinery or environments will mask signatures too.

The right readout is multifunctional. It has a cardiogram that reflects your general health condition, but one type of enemy, Shadows, are not visible to the eye, however they will cause the BIO meter to fluctuate and glitch out.

All meters (including the BIO meter specifically in regards to Shadow glitches) I'm aiming to make directional, so you can see the two left meters responding to the computer terminal. There's also a compass and readout for air when you enter vacuum areas. Still thinking how I want ammo to be displayed... :)

HUDsmol.png.641c4536235f0e143d6e972d4969f19a.png

image.png.8b105feaf186acb8fc33ae4026deb945.png

Yesterday I started figuring out how GUIs work. I learned how the onTime functions operate to make this neat (but a bit intrusive) basic text animation. I plan for computer terminals to "unlock" in proximity, and that animation will play through just once as you leave said proximity and the terminal locks.

Here's a rough mockup I made years ago (this idea started forming in 2016 as a GZDoom mod but life happened so it never really got underway) of how I imagined the terminals to function. I designed them with PabloDraw, with the full intent for them to be authentic DOS resolution. I'm still trying to figure out how to accurately adapt it exactly how I imagined but the frame graphic seems to be slightly lower resolution in the GUI system compared to the actual graphic I added, is that maybe a known TGA issue?

Fonts are also being a pain, it seems like GUI's only work with a very specific font size, 12, and it's not an integer of the 8x16 VGA style fonts I was wanting to use, so it's not particularly crystal clear atm. The terminals take a lot of inspiration from the sentry gun readout in Aliens, and the terminals of Marathon, a game dear to my heart and one of the main inspirations for this game idea.

The colour of the terminals indicate their main functions. Green terminals typically allow you to save your game (straight from Marathon's Pattern Buffers), or are general access terminals with public information (updating your automap from each terminal you find), control elevators to other levels, etc. Yellow are security terminals, they allow for restricted access functions, operate cameras, turrets, that kind of thing. White terminals are personal and often contain text/audio logs that can be downloaded to your PDA. The colour of the terminals also ideally makes them distinguishable from a distance, so you can tell what you're approaching before you actually get right up to it.

image.png.d4bdfd6b0f4ce89d3d8fa121bd426ef1.pngimage.png.d32872dc5523d49f3c756e3a724ba89c.png

Edited by Neo Te-Aika : terminal stuff

19 hours ago, Neo Te-Aika said:

Hi! I've been working off and on with a game idea I've had for about five years, originallly it was a GZDoom mod and then last year was messing around with Trenchbroom and Quake, and after forcing myself to get used to Radiant style editing (still not a fan, but now I sorta get how it works a bit better so it's taking a while but I'll get there, lol) I had an idea to instead try to start sketching out map ideas in Doom 3!

Here's the first rough area I've been working on for the last couple of days. The textures aren't well aligned, I really just threw random images onto various brushes but now that I've figured out you can select individual faces, I'll clean it up lol. There's also a GUI I've been working on, since the game was always planned to have a system for interactions very similar to Doom 3 and Alien Isolation.

Looking forward to learning more about working with this engine! (If anyone knows any id tech 4 or Doom 3 modding discords, I'd love to join them!)

ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).gifE6Z4B6-VcAE0SFg.jpg.3f9a67b619a359419ab6e831afb22467.jpgE6fG5BpVkAAr3-E.jpg.c55a280224e0355f47a2af5065eb18d9.jpg

This is the only one I found:

https://discord.gg/9wtCGHa

They also have a forum:

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php

On 7/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Neo Te Aika said:

If you want to make a game with doom 3 engine I recommend you choosing a source port (like dhewm3 or rbdoom3bfg) and having some assets so you can use the engine without any doom 3 stuff. Here you have some links to run the engine without any Doom 3 asset at all!

Basic Standalone pack for IDTech 4 Game Developers

All the assets from a game I was making with idtech 4 (H.A.S.T.E.)

The two links includes CC0 assets, that mean that you can use them in commercial projects without having to give credits and anything at all, I am the co-author of the first pack and the author of the second pack that was part. I hope this helps you.

The second one includes ALL the assets CC0 licensed from this game I was making:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIwTIlMhK2s

Cheers! Yeah I'm doing everything in dhewm3 atm, but considering looking into some of the recent BFG Edition derivatives that have come out. For the time being though the aim is to try and make a "gameplay vertical slice", something like a quick controlled 10 minute demo to get a feel for how well the idea works before I consider going full speed into it.

Here's a few additions I've made in the last few days!image.png.9e20deb29ce606189a7b364bda181eee.pngimage.png.326e7c3c24c0685fc2e30f0a7289fbe6.pngimage.png.9993e031d98ba4ff03ca4da4eb5e0033.png

Would anyone by chance know if brushes can be resized and transformed ingame with scripts? One of the concept mechanics in my idea involved a crystal substance that grows and spreads across the environment, blocking some doorways and other areas of interest. You can destroy the crystals, but the effect corrodes (destroys) some of the panels underneath. You'll take damage if you walk through, or you can wait for automated bots (using the Doom 3 sentry model for now) to come up and repair them.

12 hours ago, Doommarine_maxi said:

A small preview (WIP) from the map I am making

I'm so ready for this, and can't wait to help playtest this thing (to the best of my ability). Great preview!

On 7/23/2021 at 11:44 AM, Doommarine_maxi said:

A small preview (WIP) from the map I am making. The visuals are not yet the final result, it's still lacking gore details.

Looking good. Nice use of scripting (I take it) as well. Gives combat a nice touch. 

On 7/20/2021 at 4:29 PM, Neo Te Aika said:

Would anyone by chance know if brushes can be resized and transformed ingame with scripts? One of the concept mechanics in my idea involved a crystal substance that grows and spreads across the environment, blocking some doorways and other areas of interest. You can destroy the crystals, but the effect corrodes (destroys) some of the panels underneath.

You could make two versions of the crystal and the panel and set them to func_static. Then you could hide the second version (the state after the things were destroyed) and trigger it after after the first version received a certain ammount of damage.

I'm also glad to see people mapping.

Here's something of mine (WIP), It's a remake of a classic Doom map, I wonder if you can tell which one:

Spoiler

shot00004.png.63eb8e45bad5065fd8a1d1c96f143f7d.pngshot00003.png.f210f54aa7ebd658c583c36df1187a60.pngshot00002.png.c84141c80b070620fe5173d763bd7c34.pngshot00001.png.e8f330f07e093c83a0cd5ddbbfbde352.png

Hope to find the time to get back to it someday.

4 hours ago, Arl said:

Here's something of mine (WIP), It's a remake of a classic Doom map, I wonder if you can tell which one:

Is it E2M1? Either way it looks really good and I hope you find the time and inspiration to finish it.

@Arl: Central Processing (e1m6) maybe? I'm really not sure... the non-ortogonal room shapes look very Doom-ish for sure.

I took screenshots of my guess for comparison, the last one might be a stretch it but I can see some resemblance in theme.

Spoiler

001.png.05835facea4e52caa11364c9d320b167.png002.png.b27d58bd626e66c072cb3f0df0fbd0a6.png003.png.a92bdbf6eddb6942443bed1e02af11e5.png004.png.74105ad91852114e820c3d1b1676938d.png

21 hours ago, Lippeth said:

I took screenshots of my guess for comparison, the last one might be a stretch it but I can see some resemblance in theme.

Hide contents

001.png.05835facea4e52caa11364c9d320b167.png002.png.b27d58bd626e66c072cb3f0df0fbd0a6.png003.png.a92bdbf6eddb6942443bed1e02af11e5.png004.png.74105ad91852114e820c3d1b1676938d.png

Cool, and you nailed every single one.

In the last one I'm looking at where some steps build up to a switch, the switch that activate said stairs is also in the frame.

12 hours ago, Arl said:

In the last one I'm looking at where some steps build up to a switch, the switch that activate said stairs is also in the frame.

Ah, so I should've turned around for the right perspective. Good job implementing it all into Doom 3, it looks great!