Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

[v1.0.0] Vesper - MBF21 Showcase Mod

Not me rushing to click the links thinking it'd download the mod because I saw shiny blue things in the gifs and got too impatient and didn't read the rest of the post because I saw shiny blue things...

So, count me in with the hype!

Looking forward to this! I think DeHackEd gameplay mods are an underexplored space, especially with what MBF21 and DEHEXTRA bring to the table.

Oh baby that should help a lot to read the MBF21 dehacked (While i wait for Whacked to get updated.), also glad to see TSF is getting his sprites used here.

this rules! thank you for sharing this, it's a great showcase! after my current project i'm keen to work on something a little more rooted in vanilla, so having these expanded functions will be a treat. i do enjoy the problem-solving that comes with dehacked but it always feels a bit cramped.

Thanks y'all! -- ye, the intent is to make both a fun mod and a reference for folks wanting to do their own MBF21 things. The weapons are fairly fancy but I'm trying not to make things too uber-mega-hypercomplex, so it's understandable-ish... as much as Xaser-written things can even get, I guess. :P

Will post up some more preview things soonish, to keep the gears turnin'.

Take my soulsphere, Xaser, you magnificent bastard.

So hyped for what MBF21 will bring to the table, and this certainly looks to be the thing that gets everybody interested.

Very neat stuff so far! I've always had the idea to make a "plasma shotgun" style weapon.

Edited by Wavy

Wow, this would be a great weapon for Stormtroopers!

Spoiler

In all seriousness though, great to see that you now can fire homing projectiles without worrying of crashing the game.

Kinda want to make a small set with this, nothing crazy, like 4 pretty good speed maps that explore the catalog of weapons.

What utility did you use to edit the weapons? I am not aware of any dehacked editors that support mbf21 and I would be interested to know what you used were using?

4 minutes ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

I am not aware of any dehacked editors that support mbf21

AFAIK, WhackED doesn't support MBF21 (yet.)

34 minutes ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

I am not aware of any dehacked editors that support mbf21 and I would be interested to know what you used were using?

Pretty sure it's DECOHack - a command line-based program (which supports all Dehacked format up to MBF21) that allows modders to input Decorate-like coding to make Dehacked patches.

tested it so far, pretty good, the only problem i still see in this is mostly animation wise, the axe and melee animation feel wrong:

if i were to give some feedback.

The axe 2 frames of swing can be translated into 1 blury frame and use the remainder as a tnt1a0 of sorts, so it would feel better, an alternative would be to remove SAWGF0 and those tics to sawgg0 and make it go after sawgh0, that would also give it some OOMPH

as for the fists, i would either make them not be shown (great for screenshots) and show Pungb0 after pungc0 happens, same thing with pungd0 to e0.

outside of the nitpicks the weapon mod feels great!

22 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Doesn't work with woof either?

Seems to work fine for me in Woof 8.1.0.

Congrats on the release! I'll put this into the list for my next gameplay mod variety stream. c:

The chaingun replacement is really fun! The BFG replacement also looks amazing!

The homepage hasn't been set up just yet -- there's still a few to-do's on that side of life. Will probably make another post when it's up.

3 minutes ago, Xaser said:

The homepage hasn't been set up just yet -- there's still a few to-do's on that side of life. Will probably make another post when it's up.

I have failed you

Super-slick and fun weapon mod (Vesper as an agent is super cool! Shoutouts to those black and blue gloves, stylish af!), blasted through the first 7 maps of og Doom 2 with Doom Retro so far and am really digging what's on show in this 1.0.0 release! I'm absolutely here for all of the community excitement around MBF21 and am looking forward to seeing it's full potential realized. Excuse the incoming wall o' text, lol!

Most of the weapons I'm vibing with, I like some of the new archetypes (relatively new-ish for Doom anyway, I guess?)
- Axe is cool and gives me Heartland flashbacks. Is it affected by Hyper-Steroids?
- Deagle is an awesome sniping tool and makes pistol only runs actually viable and fun, haha! 
- Blunderbuss being a projectile shotty loses the sniping ability, but the added damage makes close encounters faster! Reload is cool af too!
- Mowing down fodder demons with the Heavy Spiker reminds me of the Nailgun / Perforator from Quake. Love the NIN homage on the ammo. 
- Nox Launcher is great for creating choke points and stun-locking heavies. I like the potential for self-damage too, keeps me accountable!
- The homing function on the Ichor Rifle is crazy cool but the fire rate is slow enough so it's not too op... imo anyway!
I like the sped-up weapon switching and altered ammo caps as well, had me constantly changing weapons and doing gun combos.

Some minor niggles I had are in regards to ammo balance and the SSG replacement, I found myself being inundated with ion and ichor, but kinda strapped for spikes and nox grenades. Could just be a vanilla Doom 2 thing though?
I'm kinda on the fence with the Foehammer SSG... doesn't really feel any different mechanically to the Blunderbuss outside of extra damage and increased ammo consumption (maybe that's the point? lol), but on the other hand goddamn does one-shotting mid-tiers and two-shotting heavies feel good! I also don't really have any suggestions on how to change or "improve" it! :) Hahaha!
Also didn't get a chance to use the Vile Driver as I finished up my initial session before I could get my mits on it.

I'd really love to see some insane new demons to blow away with these cool guns, maybe even some unique items or power-ups, but iirc you've already mentioned that monsters are in the pipeline and will eventually be here. An episode or a community project when Vesper gets fleshed out a bit more would be awesome to see as well! 

Obviously just my 2 cents, take with a grain of salt! Having a ton of fun so far though, gonna blast thru some Boom mapsets when I have the chance. Keen as a bean for any and all further updates! :)

Edited by Fabricator : Fixed minor typos and gave some specific feedback.