Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl Reloaded

FYI: If you've played AD2 in the past, you will probably have to delete any AD2 references in your ini or install it to its own directory.

47 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

a brand new boss encounter replacing the often maligned topical humor from the mid 2000s!

🤔🤔🤔

He's huge, goliath to my david, 30 stones easy. He's huge, but that means he has huge guts, rip and tear...

this game is such dumb fun lol

2 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

But that's not all!

The original commercial bonus material has also been repaired and is available as well. While not a part of the main game, this material can be loaded separately by dragging the file onto the GZDoom exe and running ‘Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl.’

Why not merge it into the main wad as a bonus episode, like Dead of Winter?

37 minutes ago, Gez said:

Why not merge it into the main wad as a bonus episode, like Dead of Winter?

The bonus material was a little more bawdy and non-sequitor than I wanted people to experience in the base game, but I wanted it available to people who actively sought to engage that material.

Glad you decided to remaster this. And I agree that hopefully you'll give Action Doom 1 some love as well.

So far I've found 2 oddities, not sure if calling them bugs:

-If you have tutorials turned off, it won't play the cut scene where you take the gun from your cabinet.

-Glass shards have a really loud bouncing sound, like they break more bottles every time they bounce.

The gun is intentional. Let's you begin the game quicker. Later, it also eliminates your "freebie" in the minefield forest. Glass? Yeah, it's probably a byproduct of new sounds being louder... every time they bounce, just like bodies, they make a sound... it just happens to be noisy. GZDoom will probably break this mod again in 6 months, so maybe I'll use a different sound for bouncing glass shards in the next bugfix.

Got fond memories of this mod (especially the music) .

It was also released as a commercial product, with exclusive content in the paid version. Is this material now available for free aswell? 

Scuba, I'm also really curious about the replaced boss / content.  I remember there being a.. 

Spoiler

Certain level in the game where you had to track down a rapist / sodomizer in his creepy farmhouse. I can remember this farmhouse was also really buggy, pitch black, and almost impossible to navigate. I hope all this is fixed now but I'm taking a wild guess about this boss being the one that's replaced? 

I also only got the bad ending so far and in there you see the final boss (some fat corporate guy) having groomed your young daughter.  And while you're at home, drunk and depressed, it shows you a screen where he has sex with her at night.. 

Spoiler

He didn't groom your daughter, the narration tells you he IS her father because he had an affair with your wife. If you take too long to rescue her (beat up in the alley and spending weeks recovering), she becomes attached to him and shoots you, the shitty dad... who never gets to a chance to redeem himself.

Nope, the farmhouse is exactly the same save for improved ceiling and floor portals thanks to the hardware renderer... and I believe the basement has some impassible lines and is slightly brighter so you're not getting stuck on geometry. Only the end of MAP01 was changed... the original bosses were awful placeholder sprites that were drawn at the beginning of the project... the club boss is entirely new and fits the other sprites... and includes a much better song.

Yes, the bonus content is also available again... you can find it in the first post.

Glad to see this classic get a touch-up for new versions of GZDoom, and the new features sound great. I'm honestly just happy to see Action Doom again after a long time, the art style has always been so appealing

@Scuba Steve

Ah, that clears up a bunch since that whole sequence gave me a weird aftertaste for many years, so thanks for clearing that up. 

I looked up the sprites of the farmhouse boss again out of curiosity and I can't help but notice that he looks somewhat similar to Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker (serial killer / rapist from the 80's). 

Was its design inspired by him in any way? 

Just curious.

I also found sprites of yourself, but I can't remember you appearing ingame anywhere. 

imageedit_3_5633780513.png

In GZDoom I can see ACS script errors spamming the console
I used it as an IWAD, not sure if I did something wrong, apart from this, I noticed the "Piano guy" at the bar is missing

Apparently the error only appears when you have the build set to a specific developer mode... or you're running one of the recent dev builds. I never saw it because we were using the last stable release, 4.6.1

24 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

Clear your ini settings of anything related to AD2.

Searched for that "actionsub" cvar on the ini and removed it, now I'm golden. Thanks!