Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Havok

What is this type of door called?

Is it possible to have a door like that in Doom? What are the individual parts of the door called? Wings or blades for example?

Edited by Havok

A bit of googling/etc suggests it's called an "iris door". I might be wrong, but hopefully not

I think even in a very feature-rich source port this style of door would be very hard to do, unless you don't mind it being purely an animated texture.

Descent has a texture like this. I can export it from the game for you, but there is a catch - a background would have to be added to it. Also it's 64x64 only, but I suppose that could be fixed in some editor.

Screenshot 2021-08-05 221750.png

4 hours ago, Havok said:

Is it possible to have a door like that in Doom?

@MarketAnarchy made a working iris door in his X2 mapset. From what I understand, he used a series of midtextures.

Apparently, there is also a simple way to do it in UDMF because there's an animated door special.

its possible using zdoom UDMF format and you can achieve it trough animated doors. you only need to define the door frames in ANIMDEFS, after setting up the frames of the door and some sound trough SNDINFO and SNDSEQ (not required but only if you want to have it sound) you only need to set them in the editor as any other doom in doom (you know lowering the ceiling to the floor heigh) and use the action 14-ANIMATED DOOR, setting up the values for the animation speed, delay and any other option and its ready to go.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Door_Animated

4 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

A bit of googling/etc suggests it's called an "iris door". I might be wrong, but hopefully not

I think even in a very feature-rich source port this style of door would be very hard to do, unless you don't mind it being purely an animated texture.

Strife has something similar, and it was not very advanced in the source port sense! (Not to detract from how cool its own added mechanics are, at all!)

it has animated texture doors.

Wasn't there something like an iris door in it too? Or was it something else?

6 hours ago, Havok said:

What are the individual parts of the door called? Wings or blades for example?

I'd wager on blades, since it looks like a fan or propeller almost, and those have blades :)

On 8/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, Pegleg said:

@MarketAnarchy made a working iris door in his X2 mapset. From what I understand, he used a series of midtextures.

Apparently, there is also a simple way to do it in UDMF because there's an animated door special.

Yeah, It's easy to do in UDMF.

You can do it in Boom too, it's really hard to explain how it's done, but it's basically a combination of lines with the same sector on both sides with the midtexture you want and a voodoo doll that makes those sectors "open" and "close" using actions 29121 and 28673 with a real door in the wall nearby for the sound. I also use a sector to repeat the cycle if the door doesn't close properly. The actions are crushing actions, so it keeps trying to close and then re-opening if something's in the way and it'll eventually kill anything in the door and then close. You'll need to look up the "3d bridge" tutorial for some insight. In total I have 7 midtextures for closed through partly closed animations and 1 midtexture for the open door. That means 7 "3d bridges" that are stacked behind each other that open one at a time using the voodoo doll, then close one at a time using the same voodoo doll.

Here's what the relevant voodoo doll thing looks like:image.png.2a7f4470cf8c44973af966a1582b09ee.png

The door looks like this:image.png.8c32ef411ab652cca9f38df70477093e.png

When X² is released, you'll be able to use it as a source.