Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[TIME IS UP!] Literalism - A Boom-compatible CP where we do things by the map title

@Pistoolkip

Here's my demo where I finish your map with -nomonsters in around ~2:07 iirc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1q1l0p2n8zvjus/BWSNOMON.lmp?dl=1

I've found some HOMs, softlocks and cling films

I don't like how you make some places unreachable using invisible impassable walls. That's not cool imo and feels like bumping into cling film.

Why did you place that Yellow Skull keyed door at the end if a player already uses this key to open yellow bars near place where one gets it? There's no reason to make additional obstacle.

Also I didn't like demons and imps biting the player when mine was just walking on some walls heh.

Pressing on the Satyr in order to get the blue skull is not obvious. Better it could be if it was breakable just like other stuff on the map.

ITYTD feels hard and at first sight it feels like the monster count is the same on all difficulties but it's not, but maybe make it even a little less for all skill levels?

Overall this is a good map and I liked the design of YS house and thing interaction.

Another update of The Basement Problem.

No real gameplay changes, just added more detail and reworked some the architecture a little. This should be the final version unless any bugs are found.

Download v3

Spoiler

fIfTPaT.png

In the interest of science, here's a 100% secrets pacifist run of my map (using v0.2, and recorded in dsda 0.19.7): rjd_pacifist.zip

It dawned on me that the map was probably really easy for doing pacifist, considering almost all of the fights require at least 1 shot to wake up the monster closets. As long as you can outmaneuver the Chaingunners and vile tower at the start, you're golden. 

Finished my own entry.

Map name: The Imp Engine
Author: MFG38
Play time: ~3 minutes (How is it my own maps for CPs I host end up the shortest? I need to up my game.)
Music: "Player Select" from Ninja Warriors (taken from vgmusic.com)
Textures: Aqua-Tex v3, Cage-Tex
Difficulty settings: Not yet
Coop: Yes (player starts only)
Deathmatch: No

Description: Something resembling your bog-standard techbase. All the employees died in either a demon invasion or a work-related
accident - nobody knows which. Though you wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter, considering how the place is designed
like a deathtrap.

mfg_literalism.zip

BETA BUILD 02:

Changes:

+ Added a few extra cyberdemons, 2 spider masterminds, 2 archviles, a few extra revenants

+ rebalanced ITYTD/HNTR/HMP to have a couple less enemies than UV

+ added 1 extra secret, GL finding it! ;)

+ made the 1st secret require SOME skill to get to

+ made the map a little less cheese-able by forcing the player to grab the blue key first, thus having to deal with the hoarde earlier

+ moved several TP exits for the hoarde so it floods the lake more

+ widened many steps near edges of islands/edge of the lake so that enemies can now go in + out of the water (some larger enemies like Arachnotrons may get stuck still... blame their overly large hitboxes)

+ Added MANY more hitscanners to the big trap. GG

- removed a lot of lost souls

- several large ammo packs now use their smaller variant

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1rkzf3opxdiavb6/LakeDyna-v2.zip/file

2 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

@Pistoolkip

Here's my demo where I finish your map with -nomonsters in around ~2:07 iirc

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1q1l0p2n8zvjus/BWSNOMON.lmp?dl=1

I've found some HOMs, softlocks and cling films

I don't like how you make some places unreachable using invisible impassable walls. That's not cool imo and feels like bumping into cling film.

Why did you place that Yellow Skull keyed door at the end if a player already uses this key to open yellow bars near place where one gets it? There's no reason to make additional obstacle.

Also I didn't like demons and imps biting the player when mine was just walking on some walls heh.

Pressing on the Satyr in order to get the blue skull is not obvious. Better it could be if it was breakable just like other stuff on the map.

ITYTD feels hard and at first sight it feels like the monster count is the same on all difficulties but it's not, but maybe make it even a little less for all skill levels?

Overall this is a good map and I liked the design of YS house and thing interaction.

thanks a lot! 

There are barely any invisible walls, but I removed all of them that don't have a specific barrier to show: The gates and roadblocks remain, as they block off the playable area.

I also moved the exit platform back a bit so you won't be tempted to jump over the fence there and lock yourself.

However, I am aware that the levels has a number of skips, especially with (rocket) jump enabled. I removed some of them but not all: that's just the nature of the beast in such an open space level. If people want to speedrun exploits, they can! But the map shouldn't break (like you did with the Arachnatron acid pit).

The Satyr isn't breakable because it's too easy to hit by accident. There are already tons of walls you can hit by accident, and some I had to remove to prevent players from skipping large parts of the level or accidently locking themself.

If you find any other issues, let me know!

EDIT:
Regarding the difficulty level: Most of the imps, zombiemen, etc are the same on all difficulty levels. However, on harder levels there are a bunch of extra dangerous enemies, like additional demons in the pit, more chaingunners and revenants. So 30 additional monsters from easy to hard doesn't seem like much of a difference, but it really is

Edited by Pistoolkip

@MFG38

Have an FDA (ITYTD) https://www.dropbox.com/s/crgr70wvm06obc9/SMIMPFDA.lmp?dl=1

The lifts could be all set to wait 1 sec for consistency

@SCF

FDA (ITYTD) https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl5dby52qrl73gz/BASPROv3.lmp?dl=1

I like the lifts don't lower right to the floor but to some inches above that. I hope the archvile that I run away of and the archvile that I met near the car are the same(if not, it'd be cool if all the remaining enemies could've teleported to say hello to the player who somehow managed to escape)

@DynamiteKaitorn

FDA (ITYTD) https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xurs6ev0hscejz/lake2fda.lmp?dl=1

Nice visuals. Maybe make locked doors open faster?

Edited by SilverMiner

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

Finished my own entry.

mfg_literalism.zip

The map plays pretty well, and in terms of gameplay suits the map 1 slot. I think the length was fine too, I don't think a level with mostly basic enemies needs to be very long. But while the map itself is fine, I think it could do more to convey the title. There are plenty of imps, but not so many that it's notable. The first thing I thought of was "what if the big crusher room was full of imps that you had to navigate while they were getting squished?". Or just some decorations, like a switch that opens a door after crushing some caged imps.

• The first secret might be a bit obscure, but I'm also not a fan of fake walls. I actually went up on the crates and tried to shoot the panel, but then moved on when nothing happened. It didn't occur to me to try walking through it. Maybe if they were inset a little more it could just be a secret door?
  • In the second secret, there's a shootable switch, but the switch texture shows a handle. Pretty minor but it made me think it wasn't shootable at first.
  • The big crusher room looks kinda plain, with the same textures on floor, wall and ceiling. I don't think that texture fits the bottom of the crushers.

36 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

@SCF

FDA (ITYTD) https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl5dby52qrl73gz/BASPROv3.lmp?dl=1

I like the lifts don't lower right to the floor but to some inches above that. I hope the archvile that I run away of and the archvile that I met near the car are the same(if not, it'd be cool if all the remaining enemies could've teleported to say hello to the player who somehow managed to escape)

Thanks. The archvile at the end is the one that briefly appears after you press the switch in the basement, at the start of the level. Having all remaining enemies teleport in as well would be neat, but I don't think that's really feasible.

22 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Have an FDA [...]

The lifts could be all set to wait 1 sec for consistency

Thanks for the demo! Good point about the lifts, I'll fix them up.

5 minutes ago, SCF said:

The map plays pretty well, and in terms of gameplay suits the map 1 slot. I think the length was fine too, I don't think a level with mostly basic enemies needs to be very long. But while the map itself is fine, I think it could do more to convey the title. There are plenty of imps, but not so many that it's notable. The first thing I thought of was "what if the big crusher room was full of imps that you had to navigate while they were getting squished?". Or just some decorations, like a switch that opens a door after crushing some caged imps.

• The first secret might be a bit obscure, but I'm also not a fan of fake walls. I actually went up on the crates and tried to shoot the panel, but then moved on when nothing happened. It didn't occur to me to try walking through it. Maybe if they were inset a little more it could just be a secret door?
  • In the second secret, there's a shootable switch, but the switch texture shows a handle. Pretty minor but it made me think it wasn't shootable at first.
  • The big crusher room looks kinda plain, with the same textures on floor, wall and ceiling. I don't think that texture fits the bottom of the crushers.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll openly admit that I didn't do the best job with this one - a combination of waiting too long to start making the map and a lack of decent ideas. The map you see here was even my third attempt. The first two ideas I began laying down didn't end up working out, so I scrapped them both. Now in hindsight, my first idea was probably the most fitting one, funnily enough. But welp, too late now.

You do make some good points, especially about the switch in the second secret and the big crusher room looking pretty bland. I'll look into ways I could tweak the visuals. Not sure if I'll change the way you access the first secret, though - I sort of like having it be a fake wall, but I do understand they're not to everyone's liking. One possible way of conveying the fake wall might be to make the line transparent, but that'd also make the secret way too obvious. Gonna have to look into other ways I could convey it clearly enough while maintaining the subtlety.

Second version of my map. This one can be considered 'final'. I might make a third version to fix some texture misalignments or bugs, or to tweak the combat/ammo balance. I updated the credits (see below).

I made the following changes:

Spoiler

- Lighting has been adjusted to look better with 'vanilla style' lighting. The darkest areas in the cave should be visible now. Outdoor lighting is also a bit brighter. Contrast in the cathedral has been increased.
- Breakable planks can now be broken from all angles.
- Three more secrets for you to find!
- Additional detail added to some areas.
- Outdoor landscape improved.
- Replaced the elevator with a ladder (more appropriate in this medieval setting).
- Added a new marble face texture by Gez.
- Final fight is changed/improved: First there are Imps and Hell Knights/Barons with 2 Archviles on the pillars. Revenants will spawn when the pillars are lowered (as before). No more Pain Elementals. When the curved hallway opens up, Archviles and Cacodemons will spawn, changing the dynamics of the fight. The Spider Mastermind will arrive much later, right before the exit opens. At this point, many monsters will already have died so she has a much higher chance of surviving till the end. Two small pillars will also prevent her from moving around: she will stay in front of the exit, perhaps as the final enemy.

Map name: Cathedral of Rhyza
Author: PinkFlamingo
Play time: 15 minutes
Music: Cryptology by Jimmy
Textures: Otex 1.1 by Ola Björling (ukiro), "Q1EX*" textures from Quake and its expansions, "HX2TX*" textures from Hexen 2 (both converted to Doom by Ceeb), sky texture by Mechadon, marble face texture by Gez.
Difficulty settings: Yes
Coop: Yes, starts provided

Description: A large map that focuses heavily on atmosphere and immersion. After I received the map title, I envisioned a dark medieval map with a cathedral at its center. Originally, I wanted to build an entire village around the cathedral but I quickly realized that I was never going to be able to finish that before the deadline, so I scrapped that idea. I added in a lot of secret areas to encourage exploration.

Download: CathedralOfRhyzaV2.rar

@Pistoolkip, thanks for your video! It was very helpful. Wow, I didn't realize how dark everything looks in a different source port. You missed a bunch of things because you couldn't see anything. My new version hopefully fixes that. Concerning my map looking very medieval. That's on purpose. I wanted to avoid using the typical hellish environments of Doom. I did add some extra windows to the cathedral. Should look a bit less gray now.

@TheNoob_Gamer, thanks for your video as well! I changed a couple of things in the map, based on your comments and playthrough. I like to think "Rhyza" is the name of the Spider Mastermind :-)

bad news: i may not be able to get the map done in time for anyone to give feedback, cuz i have a feeling it's gonna be finished at the last minute

12 minutes ago, roadworx said:

bad news: i may not be able to get the map done in time for anyone to give feedback, cuz i have a feeling it's gonna be finished at the last minute

I believe there should be time after submission for bug fixing, it would be a little odd to immediately compile with such cases as these common in community projects.

7 hours ago, MFG38 said:

Finished my own entry.

Author: MFG38
Play time: ~3 minutes (How is it my own maps for CPs I host end up the shortest? I need to up my game.)
Music: "Player Select" from Ninja Warriors (taken from vgmusic.com)
Textures: Aqua-Tex v3, Cage-Tex
Difficulty settings: Not yet
Coop: Yes (player starts only)

Description: Something resembling your bog-standard techbase. All the employees died in either a demon invasion or a work-related
accident - nobody knows which. Though you wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter, considering how the place is designed
like a deathtrap.

mfg_literalism.zip

Solid early map, if a little underwhelming. I died to the crusher but otherwise not too difficult. Plenty of HP, armour, and SG ammo.

I did find both secrets. Texture work is in point, and the map suits the title. 

It's up to you how much you want to improve it before the deadline, but I would suggest changing the exit to a switch texture. 

Thanks for the kind words. That unalignment was actually intentional, all of those gazebos are like that. I tried aligning them initially, but because of just how small the circle is that those mid-textures are on, it wound up looking really spindly and unsubstantial. At a quick glance / from a distance (which is generally how the player will see those anyways), I thought they looked better this way. I appreciate the feedback, though!

I've made some minor fixes though i am not sure that i got rid of homs in first arena. Some balancing fixes, monsters now teleport into second arena if you skip them, some misalignment fixes etc.

Link is still the same, but in case here it is again: MAP25 - Green Demons

19 hours ago, Krull said:

Currently, I'm puzzling over making this destructible pillar more reliable. It's stuffed with barrels which, when detonated, push other barrels through teleporters to kill a zombieman, so that a voodoo doll can trigger the pillar to collapse. The barrels don't always teleport correctly however, so if anyone knows a better way of doing this, please let me know. I've numbered the teleport lines for convenience. 

Reveal hidden contents

barrels.png.47c3d234b3856bfd2cadf04b4db369bd.png

Could you perhaps use a commander Keen, hidden inside the pillar, instead? When Keen is killed by the barrels, it will open all doors tagged 666 in the map. You could simply put the voodoo doll behind such a door?

9 hours ago, 4MaTC said:

I've made some minor fixes though i am not sure that i got rid of homs in first arena. Some balancing fixes, monsters now teleport into second arena if you skip them, some misalignment fixes etc.

Link is still the same, but in case here it is again: MAP25 - Green Demons

Not gonna lie, I did not enjoy this one.

Your texture work, architecture, and light usage is all on point. The map looks absolutely amazing and suits the theme well. I like what you did with the nukage/green slime and open design.

That said, I did not enjoy the slaughtery gameplay and the feeling of going from trap into trap, feeling punished for tripping the wrong linedef. I already downgraded the difficulty to HMP after dying a couple of times in the first encounter, but then I still had to deal with hordes of revenants, double cyberdemons, double AV's and even triple AV's in rooms with plenty of rev corpses. Ammo also felt really tight, and I ran out of SSG ammo a couple of times.

Maybe the difficulty isn't for everyone, but I feel like it could use a downgrade.

But my main criticism that isn't based on taste is your pathing and switches. I got stuck a couple of times being unable to find switches that were unlit, didn't stand out texture wise, and were in weird places.

Screenshot_Doom_20210812_173327.png.ceb4e7a9a1f64a87cf0ab3fad8ad163d.png

Like the red key switch, behind a pillar and unlit.

Screenshot_Doom_20210812_181654.png.b98570b4ab1657e50179561ec44c354c.png

Also behind a pillar and blends into the environment.

I gave up after running around the room with the double cyberdemons for a while, unable to find a way to get out.  

So I checked Doombuilder and apparantly I have to walk over this exact line after grabbing the Green Armor? (Which I didn't need). That's far too convoluted.

image.png.91a352466e3b4e498496c93c0bb964db.png

Edit: i was wrong, it's just a switch that lowers the pillar but you need to get on the teleporter before it rises again. I still thinks it doesn't work. You press the switch once and the Archviles and megapshere appear. You don't notice the teleporter lowering because your back is turned to it. In additional, a rocket from a Cyberdemon might obscure the switch alltogether. I would suggest marking the switch more clearly and moving it, perhaps to the teleporter platform on the right, or have the switch lower the teleporter permanently. 

Edit 2: I have since finished the level (at HMP) with plenty of savescumming. The last area seems fair compared to the rest. The straferunning required is a bit awkward for some players. Two of the demons in Sector 1582 didn't spawn in so I couldn't get 100% kills. 

I hope this all helps. You clearly know what you are doing but the map needs work gameplay wise.  

Edited by Pistoolkip

I'm not sure if i'm going to be able to finish my map in Friday, I'm sorry for the bad news but I had an accident last week and things have been a bit complicated for me... Maybe it would be cool if project lead can extend the deadline for another week or something? if not, that's fine.

16 minutes ago, Vaeros said:

I'm not sure if i'm going to be able to finish my map in Friday, I'm sorry for the bad news but I had an accident last week and things have been a bit complicated for me... Maybe it would be cool if project lead can extend the deadline for another week or something? if not, that's fine.

I hope you're doing well and wish you a speedy recovery

I'm sorry to say that I'm in the same problem as Vaeros, I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish a map during this days but I'll try my best if I get some time to do it

7 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

I did not enjoy the slaughtery gameplay

Is it exactly my map, or you don't like slaughter in the first place?

Surely i will balance map more basing on your suggestions, like slightly damage cyberdemons and i already removed 2 out 3 archviles on easy. Also i agree that switches are barely noticable during the fight, but idea was that player will press them after all monsters are dead, or at least most of them, maybe i'll make different texture for it.

8 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

The straferunning required is a bit awkward for some players.

It does not require strafe running tho, it just needs the momentum to barely jump over the gapes in the final arena.

Thanks for the detailed review though, much appretiated, i hope after a few iterations of balancing you will enjoy it in it's final state.

wow i actually finished a map for once

Map name: Abyssal Tower

Author: Roadworx

Play time: uhhh...15 minutes?

Music: "Breach of Madness" by Mark Klem

Textures: Memento Mori II, Obituary, Requiem

Difficulty settings: yes, though it may need to be tweaked a bit

Coop: no

Deathmatch: no

Description: it's a flooded marble tower located thousands of feet below the ocean's surface, and it just so happens to be infested with a fuckload of demons. fun for the whole family.

MAP15.rar

Alrighty then! Another fixes for my MAP25 - Green Demons (link is still the same):

• All switch textures are changed to default red\green led switch;

• Switch that lowers lift-teleport is moved down in front of projector so you won't miss it;

• Lift-teleporter is now brightly lit, so you won't miss it;

• Both cyberdemons are now weaker, depending on difficulty (2840hp on easy, 3460 on medium and default 4k on hard);

• Added shells and cells in 2 cyb's arena;

• Red skull key switch and switch that reveals it are brightly lit;

• Torches now highlitghting the floor below;

• Demons in sector 1582 no longer stuck;

• Added some ceil light to highlight the stairs;

• Bars that blocking very first room are now lowered, so you can backtrack there;

• Some other fixes that i forgot or not worth mentioning.

Remember, your feedback are really appreciated and helps me and this map get better, thank you!

Okay, so since a few people expressed concerns about being able to finish their maps in time, I've gone ahead and extended the submission deadline by a week. The new deadline is August 21st @ 11.59am GMT. OP has been updated to reflect the change.

There were times where I was close to thinking I couldn't make it to the old deadline, but things seemed to work out fine.

I could've tried making a map with several brutal traps and fit the name perfectly. Instead, I decided to bring in some famously scornful foes! Nazis!

Map name: Scorning Quarters
Author: Alper002
Play time: 8 mins (plus more if confusing)
Music: Tower theme from New Super Mario Bros. - midi rendition from vgmusic.com
Textures: N/A
Difficulty settings: no
Coop: no
Deathmatch: no

Description: An underground fortress holding a bunch of nazis. Said nazis were evil enough to tie a required door to the death of the several commander keens you may find!

ScrnQrtrV1.zip

Not sure what I wanna do specifically for difficulty settings, so I've omitted them for now. Shouldn't be too difficult as it is, hopefully.