Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

found a weird bug with crispy heretic on linux when alt tabing out of it with uncapped enabled the framerate goes back to capped and the only way to fix it is restarting crispy-heretic

doing some testing here the uncapped glitch only happens when you alt tab to the terminal when alt tabbing to my browser crispy heretic worked fine

Support for all versions of John Romero's Episode 5: Sigil for Ultimate Doom.

Even Doom 32x Delta SIGIL?

(Just kidding, although having 32x compatibility would be something cool)

More seriously, where can I find older versions of Crispy Doom? (The latest one crashed on the stairs of Doom 2 MAP01 on my WinXP)

Update Aug 10, 2021: Crispy Doom 5.10.2 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.10.2 is released on Aug 10, 2021. It is a minor release introducing basic accessibility features and accumulated fixes since the previous release.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.10.2/crispy-doom-5.10.2-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.10.2/crispy-heretic-5.10.2-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Hey, I discovered a bug;

Something regarding sector lighting goes wrong when saving and loading a game. I believe it to be related with the new accessibility settings, which I did not touch at all, just left them as-is on the setup. Here's an example:

The map starts like this:

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png.eb5da94f27781449fdac246625fa57d4.png

After walking out of the teleporter, the lights turn on:

Spoiler

DOOM0001.png.70e65cdacec0a1f3c6e8ed2e268636f7.png

However, if I were to save the game and load it right after, this happens:

Spoiler

DOOM0002.png.694a36247498e22a7e58b36d22b47ab1.png

(Not seen in the above image is what I believe to be a HOM on the outer upper sides of the cylindrical sector, despite the fact that they are textured)

This did not happen back in 5.10.0 (can't attest for 5.10.1 since I didn't use that one). I also noticed it happening with a light in BTSX E1 that had some sector lighting special, although I don't remember which.

The Crispness menu has some weird coloration with a custom PLAYPAL, specifically the green text:

Spoiler

DOOM0000.png.8ea945794009d4d3727960ebe807241e.png

Anything I can do about this on my end? The PLAYPAL lump in question does not change where any given color index is located BTW, it's identical in layout to the original.

21 hours ago, Alaux said:

Something regarding sector lighting goes wrong when saving and loading a game. I believe it to be related with the new accessibility settings, which I did not touch at all, just left them as-is on the setup. Here's an example:

Indeed! I only save the (logical) lightlevels in savegames, which is desirable for sectors with flickering lights for which there are thinkers to change the rendered lightlevels. For sectors which change lightlevels only once, this won't work though (i.e. the logical lightlevel will be resored properly, but the rendered lightlevel will remain on the sector's initial lightlevel).

Which map of Chex is this, btw?

15 hours ago, maxmanium said:

The Crispness menu has some weird coloration with a custom PLAYPAL, specifically the green text:

So, it seems the algorithm considers the light blue to be closer to the target green color than any of the other available greens in the palette. Could you make this palette available somewhere?

4 minutes ago, fabian said:

Which map of Chex is this, btw?

Well, if those suspicious pickups didn't say enough...

Spoiler

image.png.15100e2b3e98a7098a1e0c0ae0714aa0.png

;)

Some triviality aside,

Spoiler

Chex-themed map, but not quite for Chex, and nowhere to be officially found yet.

9 hours ago, fabian said:

So, it seems the algorithm considers the light blue to be closer to the target green color than any of the other available greens in the palette. Could you make this palette available somewhere?

Sure.

pal.zip

Update Aug 17, 2021: Crispy Doom 5.10.3 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatible with the original.

Crispy Doom 5.10.3 is released on Aug 17, 2021. It is a bug-fix release fixing a regression in savegame restoring introduced by the A11Y features from the 5.10.2 release.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.10.3/crispy-doom-5.10.3-win32.zip

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.10.3/crispy-heretic-5.10.3-win32.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

Hi Fabian, I have decided to play wads in 320x200p in crispy doom for now because for some reason in your sourceport the mouse in that resolution feels amazing, instead in DSDA-Doom/prb+um and woof it doesn't feel so good to play at 320x200 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm writing this because there is one thing I don't like at all about crispy doom, when I activate colored blood the espectre blood becomes invisible making it very difficult to see them in very dark places, but the worst thing is not this, I tried to "fix" it by deactivating colored blood and then play with a blood dehacked patch, but it did NOT work, that's why I'm writing this, I would really appreciate if you would make a "fix" for this, thanks.

On 8/28/2021 at 6:54 AM, El juancho said:

I'm writing this because there is one thing I don't like at all about crispy doom, when I activate colored blood the espectre blood becomes invisible making it very difficult to see them in very dark places, but the worst thing is not this, I tried to "fix" it by deactivating colored blood and then play with a blood dehacked patch, but it did NOT work, that's why I'm writing this, I would really appreciate if you would make a "fix" for this, thanks.

Crispy Doom doesn't support the blood color DEH extension. However, the request to remove spectre blood comes regularly, so I will make this optional.

1 hour ago, fabian said:

Crispy Doom doesn't support the blood color DEH extension. However, the request to remove spectre blood comes regularly, so I will make this optional.

Does anybody know why are we even making spectre blood invisible? I feel that spectres bleeding red blood, just like pinkies do, makes just so much more sense. Both are clearly very similar species so why would their blood be different color? Way I see it that it is that only spectre's skin that in invisible and the insides are identical to pinkies so that means bleeding red blood for spectres too. And red blood functions better from the gameplay pespective. I feel that it should be the default when colored blood is turned on.

A spectre corpse is rendered fuzzy as well - this includes the bloody parts of its corpse sprite, so it has fuzzy blood. Not?

2 minutes ago, fabian said:

A spectre corpse is rendered fuzzy as well - this includes the bloody parts of its corpse sprite, so it has fuzzy blood. Not?

More likely to be this way because of technical limitation, not by design. Spectres use pinkies sprites and majority of the corpse is still skin. Bloody parts are invisible only because because they can't be made visible in the corpse without making whole corpse visible. There is not conflict between spectres bleeding red and corpse being invisible in my opinion. And I also feel gameplay should go always first. Rendering spectre corpse fuzzy is mainly for gameplay reasons too and it became originally more useful feature once archviles were introduced originally.

Never had an issue with this..  Isn't it the point of spectres to be hard to see?

Maybe the blood color improvements were not in the spirit of Crispy Doom but more in the spirit of Doom Retro.

4 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Never had an issue with this..  Isn't it the point of spectres to be hard to see?

Yea but in the original game if you shooted them they bleed red blood so you can see them more easily. In crispy doom if youre in a REALLY dark area full of spectres with colored blood enabled you literally CANT see them and that bothers me a lot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm a big fan of the colored blood effects, especially for the spectres. They brings an extra level detail and immersion to the game. Whenever I play a port without them now it makes the game feel unfinished somehow? Like they ran out of time and had to copy and paste the same effect for a bunch of the enemies.

At any rate, I can certainly understand how losing the visual feedback of the red splatters can have an adverse effect on the gameplay experience. I wonder though if there might be a possibility for a compromise solution. Just a thought: perhaps the spectre blood can be red, but with some translucency applied. Or maybe red blended with the fuzz effect. How difficult would it be to achieve something like that?

At the end of the day, it's all very subjective and every additional deviation from Vanilla will be a cause for complaints. My stance on this is to revert back to Vanilla behaviour if in doubt and this is what I did here as well.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:29 AM, fabian said:

revert back to Vanilla behaviour if in doubt 

In this context and in order to burn some fat off the engine, is anybody seriously using the following features and would mind if I just ripped them out?

• Squat weapon down on impact
  • Negative Player Health
  • Weapon Recoil Thrust (*)

(*) Not Weapon Recoil Pitch, this is going to stay.

4 hours ago, fabian said:

In this context and in order to burn some fat off the engine, is anybody seriously using the following features and would mind if I just ripped them out?

• Squat weapon down on impact
  • Negative Player Health
  • Weapon Recoil Thrust (*)

(*) Not Weapon Recoil Pitch, this is going to stay.

I only use crispy as a chocolate doom with high res.  If I wanted those features, I'd load up eternity.

By the way, I do love how you're managing it.

Edited by Gibbon

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

I only use crispy as a chocolate doom with high res.

I use crispy-doom mainly for the colored blood and the limit removing properties, otherwise I have it configured to be almost like chocolate (320x200, capped framerate, etc.)

I use the negative player health option since it's fun to see how horribly you just died. The other two don't matter to me.