Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

dsda-doom source port [v0.24.3]

an anecdote similar to Xaser's, hopefully can help someone: I couldn't start up 0.20.0, and fixed the issue by updating dsda-doom.wad which I didn't even know existed, but I had apparently hidden in some system folder.

5 hours ago, Blue Phoenix said:

When I tried running Hexen I get 'createPatch: Unkown patch format INTERPIC.'  I'm using Dsda 20.0 and then 20.1 on windows 10 64-bit, the hexen Iwad came from steam.

You probably need to use the -hexen parameter

7 hours ago, Blue Phoenix said:

When I tried running Hexen I get 'createPatch: Unkown patch format INTERPIC.'  I'm using Dsda 20.0 and then 20.1 on windows 10 64-bit, the hexen Iwad came from steam.

Do you have "Enable External Hi-Res" from the gl general settings set to "YES"? If so, try with this setting disabled.

Most awesome port! New features with demo compatibility are perfect. My new main port.

A few things I noticed.

Heretic E6M3 doesnt have an exit, but if a pwad does there is a segfault when exiting.

$make install will install prboom-plus man pages, copying over what is already there. Dsda-doom should just rename them, even if they are identical. With all the new features, dedicated man pages would be useful.

$make uninstall does not work. If updating cleanly or uninstalling, need to manually $rm everything. 

1 hour ago, Catoptromancy said:

$make install will install prboom-plus man pages, copying over what is already there. Dsda-doom should just rename them, even if they are identical. With all the new features, dedicated man pages would be useful.

What version are you using? The pages were renamed recently.

When it comes to those kind of meme parameters, the line is kind of drawn at things that actually change the way the game progresses on the inside. It's similar to requests like "enter the next episode when you end the previous one" in ultimate doom. I currently have no intention of adding it. There's a key you can press that pistol starts the current map.

12 hours ago, kraflab said:

Do you have "Enable External Hi-Res" from the gl general settings set to "YES"? If so, try with this setting disabled.

yup,  now it works

Please make the horizontal strafe-turn mouse sensitivity options separately like Crispy doom, that could make glides easier.

please.jpg.7d2047a592496010c20d7b0ccfe7157d.jpg

This is already available in dsda-doom, but better. Look for "mouse strafe divisor" in the options and experience tranquility (higher == slower).

I was playing hexen and I got this error in the "castle of grief" hub trying to get to the gibbet level, on the platform that has the dark servant:

"ACS assertion failure: in script 180836008 @0xad5eea8: unexpectedly reached end of ACS lump"

edit: It crashes every time I try to get to the gibbet level after get the clock gears and activate the platform.

Edited by Kokrovan

On 8/12/2021 at 8:50 PM, Xaser said:

Sorta anecdotal, but I ran into something like that a while back and the trouble was I had 64-bit DLLs and a 32-bit dsda-doom.exe -- or vice-versa; my memory is spongy. Dunno if that helps at all -- it's been a while so I forget where exactly I grabbed the 'correct' DLLs from -- but there you go. :P

just using the latest build from here in a fresh folder, nothing overwritten or replaced - still not exactly sure which DLLs i should be using from where to boot. does the latest prboom+ and this fork just happen to have the "wrong" DLLs or what's the deal exactly?

39 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

just using the latest build from here in a fresh folder, nothing overwritten or replaced - still not exactly sure which DLLs i should be using from where to boot. does the latest prboom+ and this fork just happen to have the "wrong" DLLs or what's the deal exactly?

No, we don't know the problem. The DLLs are correct, but it seems like there's something that is only broken on some people's computers related to music.

interesting - do you think it has anything to do with external soundcards or multiple sound interfaces/drivers?

5 hours ago, Kokrovan said:

I was playing hexen and I got this error on the "castle of grief" hub trying to get to the gibbet level, on the platform that has the dark servant:

"ACS assertion failure: in script 180836008 @0xad5eea8: unexpectedly reached end of ACS lump"

Sorry for the bump...

Help :( is that me?

I have 2 savegames if anybody want to check it.

castleofgriefcrash.zip

edit: I'm using dsda for 32bit by demestre don't know if could be that.

Edited by Kokrovan

2 hours ago, Kokrovan said:

Sorry for the bump...

castleofgriefcrash.zip

Went check if your problem happened to me, but I cant even start the game.
After choosing a difficulty, the game crashes with: I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Also, dsda-doom is now available in brew (its a package manager for macOS).
Install: "brew install Pedro-Beirao/dsda-doom/dsda-doom"
You cannot just do "brew install dsda-doom", because dsda-doom's repo "is not notable enough". This means that there is no moderation/support by brew. It will be compiled in your machine, but it should take ~1 minute (+ installing all the required dependencies)

To run it, type: dsda-doom
It is automatically added to your path. I will try to keep it updated

If the repo ever reaches 30 forks, 30 watchers and 75 stars, it will be considered notable and I will make it available with just "brew install dsda-doom"

4 hours ago, Kokrovan said:

Sorry for the bump...

castleofgriefcrash.zip

I'll take a look at this tomorrow

17 hours ago, Kokrovan said:

Well, I can't reproduce the issue on my end. It's possible that it does have something to do with that build, hard for me to say.

Can you check if this demo plays back for you? https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/hexen/794/40bs-951.zip
If it doesn't, then this script is just broken in your build (or something wrong with your wad). -skipsec 6:00 will bring you into that level.

2 hours ago, kraflab said:

Well, I can't reproduce the issue on my end. It's possible that it does have something to do with that build, hard for me to say.

Can you check if this demo plays back for you? https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/hexen/794/40bs-951.zip
If it doesn't, then this script is just broken in your build (or something wrong with your wad). -skipsec 6:00 will bring you into that level.

The demo playback perfectly, it doesn't crash on demos.

Also, I tried v20.0 dsda 32bit build by demestre, but the same thing happen, demo playback but it only crashes while playing.

Probably those builds have that script broken.

Could you make a 32bit build? or is there another build for 32bit? :(

Hm but if it works with the demo, it should work. There isn't really a difference between watching a demo and playing the game yourself. So, I don't think the build is broken. Have you tried from a fresh game (i.e., warping to the map and starting there)?

BTW, are you playing it "normally" or are you using for instance key frames while you play? What happens if you go through it without saving? It's possible there's an issue with save files - that wouldn't affect the demo but might affect the map scripts somehow.

Edit: I managed to get an unknown script error from a save file. Let me see if fixing this will also fix your issue.

kraflab
I looked at 2 problem Hexen demos, for me this Opulent demos always playback fine on old jHexen, I did not assume, that they are a problem for other ports. Now I checked them on a modified Chocolate 2.3.0 - both in desync on map-46 (player dies), a few years ago I thought that I have a completely compatible version of Chocolate port, but I was wrong, again.

At the moment, I have no idea what the problem might be for the chocolate code, if you find it, let me know, please. Also, the problematic moments in these 2 demos normally passes in DOS CHexen port, I did not test them completely there, they are 3+ hours long, heh

I recorded a dsda-doom demo with a pwad and it desyncs in heretic 1.2 and 1.3 after about 22 minutes. dsda-doom gives same levelstats with heretic.wad and blasphem.wad as iwads. Maybe im doing something wrong. 

Demo: http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/demos/heretic/0-9/4-aces2-d.zip

Pwad: https://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/heretic/0-9/4-aces2.zip

$ dsda-doom -iwad blasphem.wad -heretic -file ~/dos/HERETIC/pwads/4-ACES2.WAD -skill 4 -warp 1 1 -record 4-aces2

1 hour ago, Catoptromancy said:

Maybe im doing something wrong. 

It desyncs in choco as well, so it seems like a bug. I'll have to see what the issue is.

I remember when Freedoom first implemented Final Doom support there would be desyncs if the iwad was changed even though a pwad was recorded. Freedoom was being recognized as Doom2, and pwad was for plutonia. I think it was a complevel issue, due to recording a different port that was emulating complevel 2, while pr+ was using complevel 4.

Maybe this can be helpful since I did not record that with the heretic iwad.

I will rerun that demo using 1.2 vanilla to see what happens. 

Is there a way to limit fps to a value other than 35 or 60 in openGL without using Vsync or having uncapped framerate off? My laptop wants to fly when it's trying to do 3000+ fps but I'd also like something higher than 60.

1 hour ago, Napsalm said:

Is there a way to limit fps to a value other than 35 or 60 in openGL without using Vsync or having uncapped framerate off? My laptop wants to fly when it's trying to do 3000+ fps but I'd also like something higher than 60.

I tested "non-vsync fps cap" a couple months ago and the experience didn't seem to be an improvement over just using vsync, so I never fleshed out the feature.

7 minutes ago, kraflab said:

I tested "non-vsync fps cap" a couple months ago and the experience didn't seem to be an improvement over just using vsync, so I never fleshed out the feature.

thing is vsync sucks with 60hz monitors because it makes your aim weird since you are still controling doom guy at 35 fps it works perfectly but using uncapped you need more then 60hz for it to feel right (yea i know there are people who are acostumed to it but still)

if there was a option to cap frames to 70 it would already be a huge improvement in my book since i wouldint need to play at 35 or make my laptop so loud that i cant play while listening to something else